Jalen Mills Back at Corner.

EazyEaglez

On 10/5/2020 at 6:48 PM, eglz1 said:

I can think of one ex-Eagle in Carolina that fits that description. This is why I'm not a Schwartz fan. He sure seems like the player has to fit his scheme rather than modifying his scheme to fit the players he has.

^^^^ this.

I guess he's going to stay at corner? With Slay gone there's going to be a lot of DPI and CBs getting burned

Fun.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:27 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Mills was fin last night. I think he’s effective when he has over the top help. He’s the second best option on the outside they have right now. 

Respectfully disagree, he had one play against Smith Schuster where he lined up 3 yards off and then actually ran away from him faster than Smith Schuster was running and the Steelers got an easy first down, even the commentator was dumbfounded.

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I guess he's going to stay at corner? With Slay gone there's going to be a lot of DPI and CBs getting burned

Fun.

Incoming double moves all day long from Hollywood.

3 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

Incoming double moves all day long from Hollywood.

Eagles backed themselves into a corner (literally)  with no speed and limited talent at the position. 

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Respectfully disagree, he had one play against Smith Schuster where he lined up 3 yards off and then actually ran away from him faster than Smith Schuster was running and the Steelers got an easy first down, even the commentator was dumbfounded.

Different game bud. He didn’t have a good game against the Steelers, but did any of the corners?

• Like 1

I can think of one ex-Eagle in Carolina that fits that description. This is why I'm not a Schwartz fan. He sure seems like the player has to fit his scheme rather than modifying his scheme to fit the players he has.

Yep. I haven’t seen the numbers from yesterday yet but through the first 4 weeks Douglas has been playing like a #1 corner. I don’t always buy into PFF rankings but they had him statistically as a top 10 CB through the first four games. 

Don’t think Jones has played enough this year to judge him yet but I know he had his first career pick yesterday. And a pass deflection ,which also resulted in a teammate intercepting. You know both those guys are going to turn out to be legit starters and it’s just going to cement the fact that Schwartz has no clue what he’s doing with coverage schemes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Yep. I haven’t seen the numbers from yesterday yet but through the first 4 weeks Douglas has been playing like a #1 corner. I don’t always buy into PFF rankings but they had him statistically as a top 10 CB through the first four games. 

Here's the thing... I think a lot of us thought he was a good corner. If used properly, if given the necessary help he's a good corner. He's big and physical with an eye for the ball. He's a player capable of making plays but you've got to put him in situations to succeed not have him on an island. 

When you see moves like the release of Douglas that lets you know that something is going on in the Eagles organization that has nothing to do with football, granted Douglas could be had deep, that's why you give him safety help, otherwise he was the best corner on the roster since he arrived in Philadelphia.   

On 10/5/2020 at 7:12 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

4) Mills is a legitimate starting outside cornerback

Mills is horrible, always has been and always will be.

• Like 1

Mills' technique is just bad.  He looked awful against Claypool. One step outside and he already flipped his hips against a rookie and then Claypool went inside for 10 yards of separation.  Awful.  At this point I just have to put it on Schwartz that he is unwilling/unable to adapt what he does to his players.  Back 7 are bad and it needs to be fixed.

I have never liked this philosophy ( all about the Dline attacking) because the run fits require a player in every single gap. That means a lot of run fits by non-dline and they commit to run first so you are always late on the pass.  It really shows on the LB coverage and stuff short over the middle if you don't have the players to play run/pass really well.

We know what Mills is ... he has swagger and confidence but not necessarily the talent to be a legitimate starting #2 CB.  Unfortunately he is likely the best of what we have this year from the pool of those still standing.  Who knows, maybe with James getting reps in Slay's absence he'll prove to be a better option but I'm not holding my breath on that one.  But seeing other CBs that didn't fare well here go elsewhere and look competent (Douglas, Jones) makes you wonder how much is on the player, or the coaches for failing to develop the players properly (although we do have a new DB coach this year), or the scheme in which they are playing.  My guess is it is the latter.  

Rasul Douglas: 182 snaps in coverage, 24 targets, 16 catches allowed, 129 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

Darius Slay: 196 snaps in coverage, 30 targets, 20 catches, 200 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT (per PFF)

Per ESP...

This is about understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the players a coach has. A player doesn’t need to be incredibly gifted if they’re put in a system that helps them succeed. 

35 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Rasul Douglas: 182 snaps in coverage, 24 targets, 16 catches allowed, 129 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

Darius Slay: 196 snaps in coverage, 30 targets, 20 catches, 200 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT (per PFF)

Per ESP...

This is about understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the players a coach has. A player doesn’t need to be incredibly gifted if they’re put in a system that helps them succeed. 

Yep I’ve been monitoring Douglas. He’s balling out as a starter. 

Now that Jones is getting some PT I’ll be keeping an eye on what he’s doing too. Made two big plays for Jacksonville this week. 

14 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yep I’ve been monitoring Douglas. He’s balling out as a starter. 

Now that Jones is getting some PT I’ll be keeping an eye on what he’s doing too. Made two big plays for Jacksonville this week. 

You can’t just put anyone out there on an island and expect him to just be good. I wonder about Darby. I mean he had all the tools, but could never put it together here. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Per ESP...

This may be skewed a little bit.  What WR's were each of those guys covering? 

2 minutes ago, What The F said:

This may be skewed a little bit.  What WR's were each of those guys covering? 

That’s still part of the issue though isn’t it? The Eagles couldn’t understand putting Douglas one on one against a guy with 4.2 speed is a bad idea? If you don’t understand the strengths and weaknesses of your players then that’s on the coach. If you select players who do not fit your system then that’s on the GM. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s still part of the issue though isn’t it? The Eagles couldn’t understand putting Douglas one on one against a guy with 4.2 speed is a bad idea? If you don’t understand the strengths and weaknesses of your players then that’s on the coach. If you select players who do not fit your system then that’s on the GM. 

Not arguing at all. The coaching is terrible.  But for the sake of comparison,  if Douglas has been covering wr3's and Slay following wr1, id say Slay is lightyears better than Douglas.

2 minutes ago, What The F said:

Not arguing at all. The coaching is terrible.  But for the sake of comparison,  if Douglas has been covering wr3's and Slay following wr1, id say Slay is lightyears better than Douglas.

I don’t think it’s a comparison in any way to slight Slay, but also keep in mind Douglas is starting over there and I seriously doubt he’s playing anywhere but his side. I might record a Panther game and watch him. Think of it this way. If Douglas we’re here starting instead of Maddox or Mills with Slay wouldn’t that be better? Then again the coaches need to understand the limitations of the player. 

6 minutes ago, What The F said:

I think the comparison was more to show how well Douglas is playing, not to say he’s better than Slay. Both CBs are having great seasons so far. 

• Like 2