This team deserves credit.

ManchesterEagle

It wasn't always pretty and people are continuing to moan about various things (and to be fair a lot are justified).

But give this team credit. The 49ers were beat up for sure, but we went on the road and beat the NFC Champions missing:

Our starting LT and back up LT

Our starting RG
Our starting LG

Our top 3 wide receivers

A top 5 TE in the league.

Two of our outside corners.

This team has fight and while changes need to be made, I believe in Doug and this team moving forwards.

• Like 9

Doug needs to continue showing creativity and stop running Killins in motion to run the same Fing play. 

• Like 1

Lane was in and out of the lineup all night as well. Can Dak miss all these guys and still go win a ball game on the road? The answer is F no. Lord knows Daniel Jones and Haskins can’t even win with their starters. 

• Like 4

He had a good but not great game. Far better than the first 3 weeks for sure. Still had times where he held the ball too long, and the interception was a prime example of Wentz "hero ball” that has gotten him in trouble so much. 

Used his legs well which was nice, and the TD throw to Fulgham was the best throw he’s made all year. 

It’s a step in the right direction but in the back of my mind I still don’t trust him yet.  Needs to show more consistency. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, nipples said:

Still had times where he held the ball too long, and the interception was a prime example of Wentz "hero ball” that has gotten him in trouble so much. 

The INT was a pass where his arm was hit when he threw. He made a good move to avoid the initial pass rush and he found Ward wide open. It turned out to be a good defensive play.

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

The INT was a pass where his arm was hit when he threw. He made a good move to avoid the initial pass rush and he found Ward wide open. It turned out to be a good defensive play.

Excuses. Why was his arm hit? Because he was trying to throw the ball while he can’t set his feet and has defenders draped all over him. Like I said, hero ball. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

Excuses. Why was his arm hit? Because he was trying to throw the ball while he can’t set his feet and has defenders draped all over him. Like I said, hero ball. 

What happened, happened. You want to call it an excuse, for you it's just something to gripe about. He was trying to do what he's paid to do. He got hit trying to get the ball into the hands of his receivers. I know it's really hard to believe this, but sometimes a defense is out there trying to stop you from doing what you are trying to do. Sometimes ... they make a play. 

32 minutes ago, nipples said:

He had a good but not great game. Far better than the first 3 weeks for sure. Still had times where he held the ball too long, and the interception was a prime example of Wentz "hero ball” that has gotten him in trouble so much. 

Used his legs well which was nice, and the TD throw to Fulgham was the best throw he’s made all year. 

It’s a step in the right direction but in the back of my mind I still don’t trust him yet.  Needs to show more consistency. 

The fact people are gushing over Carson’s performance like he just broke every Eagles single season record against a 49ers team that was just as injured as the Eagles just shows how far everyone’s expectations have fallen for him. I sure hope Carson doesn’t look at this game and foolishly think that way cause he has a lot of work to do. There were a lot of passes in this game that could have been intercepted not including the one that actually was. He left a lot out on the field last night. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, nipples said:

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The fact people are gushing over Carson’s performance like he just broke every Eagles single season record against a 49ers team that was just as injured as the Eagles just shows how far everyone’s expectations have fallen for him. I sure hope Carson doesn’t look at this game and foolishly think that way cause he has a lot of work to do. There were a lot of passes in this game that could have been intercepted not including the one that actually was. He left a lot out on the field last night. 

Agreed - Carson was good not great. Came up with some clutch throws and scrambles. Still too many inaccurate throws and still held the ball too long at times.

Overall positive step in the right direction. He still needs to be better. Hopefully this is a step.

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think everybody was happy to see improvement in his play. Acknowledging that isn't the same thing as "gushing." Most people here gave this team no shot to win vs the 49ers. The entire cast on NBC picked the 49ers. They were favored to win. They didn't. Wentz played better than any game so far this year and also lead them to a come from behind win in the 4th quarter. He trusted his teammates and they delivered. He is the team leader, right. That's what I'm reminded every time the team doesn't win ...

4 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I think everybody was happy to see improvement in his play. Acknowledging that isn't the same thing as "gushing." Most people here gave this team no shot to win vs the 49ers. The entire cast on NBC picked the 49ers. They were favored to win. They didn't. Wentz played better than any game so far this year and also lead them to a come from behind win in the 4th quarter. He trusted his teammates and they delivered. He is the team leader, right. That's what I'm reminded every time the team doesn't win ...

More than a few are acting like this was a great performance. Frankly it wasn’t. It was another inconsistent performance and he left a lot of plays out there. The Rodgers throw should have been a touchdown, but was almost an interception, that luckily ending only in an incompletion. Every game so far we have seen moment like this. Some good to great throws and some bad awful throws. Every week I see someone excusing away his interceptions too. I guess the man only has one real one. Overall he did enough to win and he brought his team back. I give him credit for that, but I’m also seeing people "bump” post and are having I told you so moments. He wasn’t that good last night. 

I think we still have a Doug problem. Against the top pass defense in the league, no Oline, no recs hes still calling a pass happy game. The run stats looked better then they were due to Carson taking off on pass plays and a few who care runs on the last drive. 

It was a good win, I was happy to see Jim try some new stuff and I am not a Jim fan but he deserves a lot of credit for his game plan. Doug's plan though I was not thrilled about. He fell right into the 49ers straights and In the end I think Shannahan lost that game by turning his run dominate team to a pass happy team with a backup QB. He turned into Doug and it back fired on him. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think we still have a Doug problem. Against the top pass defense in the league, no Oline, no recs hes still calling a pass happy game. The run stats looked better then they were due to Carson taking off on pass plays and a few who care runs on the last drive. 

It was a good win, I was happy to see Jim try some new stuff and I am not a Jim fan but he deserves a lot of credit for his game plan. Doug's plan though I was not thrilled about. He fell right into the 49ers straights and In the end I think Shannahan lost that game by turning his run dominate team to a pass happy team with a backup QB. He turned into Doug and it back fired on him. 

I thought the Eagles tried to establish the run game, but the 49ers did a good job of containing them. The backs themselves left some plays out there too, and on some runs the offensive line just got abused. At one point every offensive lineman was a backup when Kelce was out a few snaps. Overall how creative can one get when you’re picking up PS squad players just days before the game? I’m not saying Doug called a great game. He didn’t, but the talent he expected to be using is out of these games. 

• Like 1

One drive early in the 3rd Q he called 12 passes to 1 run play. I dont call that est the run. You have to stick with the run better then that. And the fact the oline was banged up makes you want to run the ball more to protect your QB. 

• Like 1

This was a hard earned win when they needed it most.  Beat a good team that was as banged up as they are.......

Plenty of mistakes and things to work on.  But straightening the ship takes time, confidence takes time and consistency takes time......but in the NFL, you don't get much time from game to game, so those improvements have to be based on the coach's ability to adjust to each and every opponent.

The steelers game is going to be very difficult to win, but not impossible......This may be the game that Wentz really needs to be on, as running the ball is going to be very difficult and the short passing game also, as Pittsburgh's LBs are fast and reactive.  Wentz is going to have to trust his receivers to make plays like he did with Hightower on the 4th and 4 and Fulgham on the TD pass....he spread the ball around last night better than he has been, which he needs to keep improving to find that open guy.

Wentz was simply good enough to make a couple plays last night, but needs to be more consistent.....his accuracy seems to come and go because his mechanics are all over the place, but they were just a shade better last night.  

12 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

One drive early in the 3rd Q he called 12 passes to 1 run play. I dont call that est the run. You have to stick with the run better then that. And the fact the oline was banged up makes you want to run the ball more to protect your QB. 

They ran multiple run plays that gained them 2 yards tops and more than a couple that lost at least ten yards. 

It wasn't a great performance, but it was a performance that they can build on.

If they can at least have the same offense line for more then one game, it might help.

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

They ran multiple run plays that gained them 2 yards tops and more than a couple that lost at least ten yards

Cause Doug is a moron and wants trick plays. Just settle in and run the ball. We dont need end arounds, double reverses etc. There are your losses. Just call a normal run. We had plenty of good gains in runs as well. the run game is a patience game and when you stick with it, it will benefit you oline, wearing down a defense, your time management, your QB protection and open up the pass game on all the play action you want to use. 

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

Cause Doug is a moron and wants trick plays. Just settle in and run the ball. We dont need end arounds, double reverses etc. There are your losses. Just call a normal run. We had plenty of good gains in runs as well. the run game is a patience game and when you stick with it, it will benefit you oline, wearing down a defense, your time management, your QB protection and open up the pass game on all the play action you want to use. 

I don’t know sometimes people want to be critical Leonard for the sake of being critics. People were complaining the Eagles didn’t do more trick plays when they saw the Rams run them on the Eagles. Now they complain when they Eagles do it and they don’t work. The Eagles rushed for 98 yards on 28 carries for a 3.5 average and that’s if you include Wentz and Hurts with those numbers. Sanders had the highest ypc on the team with a 3.5. The run game wasn’t there and I’m somebody who wanted them to run it. 

Im not a trick play guy, When I played it was smash mouth running, not the trick plays that rarely work. I played safety and I know how much the run game can effect a defense even if we were stopping it, it had other effects that could impact the game just sticking with it. We loved it when a coach gave up on the run, made it a lot easier on us as defenders. Me personally, even If Im only getting 2 yards a carry, Im sticking with it. Never know when you get that one break. Plus it takes its toll on the defense and wears them down. 

• Like 1

All I know is they're in first place with a clear path to a home playoff game a quarter of the way through the season.  

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t know sometimes people want to be critical Leonard for the sake of being critics. People were complaining the Eagles didn’t do more trick plays when they saw the Rams run them on the Eagles. Now they complain when they Eagles do it and they don’t work. The Eagles rushed for 98 yards on 28 carries for a 3.5 average and that’s if you include Wentz and Hurts with those numbers. Sanders had the highest ypc on the team with a 3.5. The run game wasn’t there and I’m somebody who wanted them to run it. 

I don’t entirely disagree, the run wasn’t super effective, but I do think they should have stuck with it more. When you’ve got a back like Sanders, he can break off a big run at any time. He was running hard, always pushing forward for an extra yard or two on contact. I’d have gotten him more carries to see if he could bust one. 

Just now, nipples said:

I don’t entirely disagree, the run wasn’t super effective, but I do think they should have stuck with it more. When you’ve got a back like Sanders, he can break off a big run at any time. He was running hard, always pushing forward for an extra yard or two on contact. I’d have gotten him more carries to see if he could bust one. 

Did they ever say if Sanders was injured, because it seemed like late in the second half they weren’t even using him much. This team needs a bruiser type back badly. Someone who can come in they can hand the ball off to and wear down the defense in the 4th. 

Regardless of the personnel, Wentz has to be better.  The accuracy is a major issue.  He is having a hard time being consistent with the short routes and the mesh routes. But his lower base mechanics need a complete overhaul.  

Great win, but is this kind of QB play sustainable and is it a winning formula.  He has got to take less hits and get the ball out quicker and more accurately.  I really think he holds on to the ball because he doesn’t want to throw into tight windows and if he can just extend the play a little longer, somebody will be wide open and he doesn’t have to worry about being inaccurate 

• Like 2