Sidney Jones Highest Rated CB in NFL - 1st 5 Weeks (PFF)

philafan4o8

Just another indictment that Schwartz’s scheme sucks.  Douglas is balling in Carolina too.  

• Like 15

Wasn't he on the practice squad for the first 2-3 weeks for Jacksonville?  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Wasn't he on the practice squad for the first 2-3 weeks for Jacksonville?  

He was. The grade is only for one game that he started against the Texans. I guess its the highest grade a cb has gotten this season in any game.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

He was. The grade is only for one game that he started against the Texans. I guess its the highest grade a cb has gotten this season in any game.

Fair enough. Thanks for adding context. I just saw the tweet that provide no context lmao

• Like 1

People thought Schwartz would let Slay play to his strength but he's having him line 10yds off the line too. At least Slay is still making plays though

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Bring in Leveon. Getting nothing from Scott and Clement. Nothing

Even if they did, the coaches would have no clue how to use him, if he even has anything left.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sidney always had potential - he never really got a chance to show what he had or not had on the field here because he couldn’t keep himself on the field. The bogging injuries are what ended his career here, not potential to become a good player. I wanted them to keep him around for another year (more so than Douglas which was a scheme fit issue so wouldn’t have worked) but basically not participating in TC at all sealed his fate. 

The team, coaches, management, fans - everyone got tired of waiting around, and he probably wanted a fresh start as well. Would it be a surprise if he turned into a player - no. But let’s hold out horses, it’s only one game, and far more importantly whether he can stay healthy. But knowing our luck, it wouldn’t really be shock if his injuries magically become a thing of the past right from the day he leaves us 😔

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Bring in Leveon. Getting nothing from Scott and Clement. Nothing

Bell won't be happy being a backup RB. 

Playing in what? 1 game? 

sure Schwartz scheme sucks for cbs but jones sucked here too. 

• Like 1

Just for giggles- at 1st glance it seems EVERY player the Eagles allow to leave show they ARE good players somewhere else. Question- WHY won't they play well in Philly? What is going on with coaches, how practices are run, how the Eagles train and develop players? As soon as they get out of Philly, they ball out. What's wrong with the Eagles org? How does a brand new coach who gets an ex Eagle player have them playing like champs right off the bat? That's just some weird Philly sh** right there. 😆

This kid was soft as hell as an Eagle and lived in the Blue tent. He was also given every opportunity, unlike Rasul. Now that he has one foot out of the league he has a good day. Ok. Good for him. Zero problem letting him go. He’ll be back in the Blue tent soon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Even if they did, the coaches would have no clue how to use him, if he even has anything left.

You mean Duce using Boston Scott inside the 5 yard line doesn’t impress you? 😂

11 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Why wouldn't he have anything left? He's 28......and he's been running behind an awful offensive line in NY.  

One of Bell's great abilities is to be patient while a hole opens up.....all that did with the Jets is get him tackled for a loss.  

BUt I agree with you, I doubt they would use him to his strengths......

So wait let me get this straight. Sidney Jones: 

2017- Drafted injured. Did not play. 

2018- Played in limited action. Did not play well but that should be expected after that injury. 

2019 - Given more playing time. Started looking very solid. Recorded 2 interceptions in limited playing time, more passes defensed and even helped seal the win in the Dallas game for the division by breaking up a game winning pass to Michael Gallup I think it was. I was very excited to see him build off this for 2020!

2020 - the year he’s finally ready to play and show his value, the geniuses in the Eagles FO cut this kid because they were tired of waiting for him to become revis SMH 

You’re going to fing draft the kid injured and then get mad that he needs time to heal and get his feel for the game back??  I’m way more surprised when the eagles do something right these days. 

• Like 3

I just wonder how long until he is missing time with a hamstring or other soft tissue injury.  He may have talent that was unrealized here but he is also soft as silk.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Just for giggles- at 1st glance it seems EVERY player the Eagles allow to leave show they ARE good players somewhere else. Question- WHY won't they play well in Philly? What is going on with coaches, how practices are run, how the Eagles train and develop players? As soon as they get out of Philly, they ball out. What's wrong with the Eagles org? How does a brand new coach who gets an ex Eagle player have them playing like champs right off the bat? That's just some weird Philly sh** right there. 😆

I hear ya, but actually if you check the thread on former Eagles you'll find it goes the other way too. Fairly productive guys who leave here and fall off a cliff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You mean Duce using Boston Scott inside the 5 yard line doesn’t impress you? 😂

Really miss Blount or Howard for those short yardage/GL situations.  

• Like 5

A failure of coaching to get him to produce on the field. Also he was in the wrong scheme. Time for a new Defensive Coordinator. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Madriver said:

I hear ya, but actually if you check the thread on former Eagles you'll find it goes the other way too. Fairly productive guys who leave here and fall off a cliff.

Seems to me that was more true a few years ago than it is now. 

My guess on Jones is that Schwartz never wanted him, Howie saw the draft value and talked Schwartz into giving him a chance, and Schwartz was never really interested in giving him that chance, especially with the injuries. So now Jones goes somewhere else, someone with no axe to grind gives him time, and if he stays healthy he'll probably be a decent starting CB. 

It seems to me that Howie and Schwartz don't work together well based on how many baffling moves have been made on defense over the past few years. I'd guess Schwartz doesn't like Howie having the power that he does, and Howie is stuck trying to placate Schwartz. Seems to match both men's personalities. Each of them would probably be happier (at least initially) if the other one got fired. If Doug could have whatever he wanted, he might have both of them fired at this point, although maybe he's too kind to think that ruthlessly. 

Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of them fired within the next few months. Who knows what the soap opera is. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

A failure of coaching to get him to produce on the field. Also he was in the wrong scheme. Time for a new Defensive Coordinator. 

Up until this year I've defended against wanting to get rid of Schwartz - I always thought we can do worse.  But I've now come around to joining that group.  It is time for a change.  The guy just fails to adjust his scheme to fit the strengths of his players  He's stubborn and expects you to adjust to his scheme, so that fails to get the best out of the players.  His scheme works best when we have extremely versatile players that can adjust to him (like Malcolm Jenkins).  

My biggest concern is, I don't really trust either Doug or Howie to get it right with the hire.  They'd probably promote Dino Vasso or some stupid ish like that rather than find a legitimate, experienced DC (the same way we ended up with Groh as OC when Reich left).  

• Like 1