Sidney Jones Highest Rated CB in NFL - 1st 5 Weeks (PFF)

philafan4o8

13 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Meh, no big deal, he would have always sucked in Philly.

Only because of Schwartz horrible defensive scheme. 

That said, it’s basically one game. The biggest concern is Douglas has been putting up top CB performances too and he’s been starting since week 2. 

If normal Sidney things take place, Sidney will be hurt in a game or 2 (I am NOT wishing that on him) and sitting out every game until the coaches get sick of his frailty and aversion to pain. Just sayin.

4 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Why wouldn't he have anything left? He's 28......and he's been running behind an awful offensive line in NY.  

One of Bell's great abilities is to be patient while a hole opens up.....all that did with the Jets is get him tackled for a loss.  

BUt I agree with you, I doubt they would use him to his strengths......

I'm not sure if he does have anything left.  Will be interesting to see what he does with a new team.

I'm still not sure how Gase still has a HC job.

3 hours ago, nipples said:

Only because of Schwartz horrible defensive scheme. 

That said, it’s basically one game. The biggest concern is Douglas has been putting up top CB performances too and he’s been starting since week 2. 

Rasul doesn't seem to have any eye popping numbers in Carolina.

5 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Rasul doesn't seem to have any eye popping numbers in Carolina.

Really? Granted I haven’t checked since Sunday’s game was played, but through the first 4 weeks Douglas hadn’t allowed a TD, and had given up something like 150 yards total I believe. With a low QB rating against. He was putting up #1 cb performances. 
You can’t just look at basic stats like interceptions and pass deflections to judge CB play. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Really? Granted I haven’t checked since Sunday’s game was played, but through the first 4 weeks Douglas hadn’t allowed a TD, and had given up something like 150 yards total I believe. With a low QB rating against. He was putting up #1 cb performances. 
You can’t just look at basic stats like interceptions and pass deflections to judge CB play. 

I haven't checked where he was rated at as a CB, however yes you are correct, need to look beyond interceptions, sacks and pass deflections which is what I was more concentrating on.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, uncphillyfan said:

Bring in Leveon. Getting nothing from Scott and Clement. Nothing

How much cap we got

4 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

How much cap we got

Enough but not if we want to roll cap in to next year. And we NEED to roll cap in to next year. 

It just never seems like  Jim lets players play to their strengths.  Certainly it's not too much to expect for him to find ways to modify around the talent.  Rasul is a perfect example of a successful college zone corner being brought in to a system that didn't fit and then he looks bad (square peg meet round hole).

Hard to tell with Jones.  He seemed to be a better fit, but was hurt so much.

12 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

I haven't checked where he was rated at as a CB, however yes you are correct, need to look beyond interceptions, sacks and pass deflections which is what I was more concentrating on.

Yeah, if you use pro football reference and go to "advanced stats” under game logs it breaks it down nicely. 

Just looked at Douglas and still playing well. Through 5 weeks only 22 catches, 208 yards, no TDs, and an 81.5 wb rating against. Those are solid starting corner numbers. That’s like 4 catches for 41 yards per game allowed. Almost identical to slay’s season. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, philafan4o8 said:

When it rains it pours...

This isn't surprising. 2nd year when Jones was healthy Schwartz decided to put him at nickel with Mills and Darby on the outside 

Jones was a failure there of course as most his college he played outside

Then he got hurt of course over and over made some plays last year in like 5 snaps over 3 games got hurt again and cut.

Then goes to another team where he'll probably never get hurt again and is a top rated corner😒

But hey the eagles have midget wonder maddox, also hurt😒

Never understood the thinking in drafting an outside corner in 2nd round to move him to nickel then never let him see the light of day again.

Eagles set him up to fail lost patience with him and cut him and it serves them right that he's playing well now.😠

• Like 2

On 10/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, wyote said:

Seems to me that was more true a few years ago than it is now. 

My guess on Jones is that Schwartz never wanted him, Howie saw the draft value and talked Schwartz into giving him a chance, and Schwartz was never really interested in giving him that chance, especially with the injuries. So now Jones goes somewhere else, someone with no axe to grind gives him time, and if he stays healthy he'll probably be a decent starting CB. 

It seems to me that Howie and Schwartz don't work together well based on how many baffling moves have been made on defense over the past few years. I'd guess Schwartz doesn't like Howie having the power that he does, and Howie is stuck trying to placate Schwartz. Seems to match both men's personalities. Each of them would probably be happier (at least initially) if the other one got fired. If Doug could have whatever he wanted, he might have both of them fired at this point, although maybe he's too kind to think that ruthlessly. 

Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of them fired within the next few months. Who knows what the soap opera is. 

Oh I would love to be a fly on the wall in Novacare sometime...

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:36 AM, Br3 said:

So wait let me get this straight. Sidney Jones: 

2017- Drafted injured. Did not play. 

2018- Played in limited action. Did not play well but that should be expected after that injury. 

2019 - Given more playing time. Started looking very solid. Recorded 2 interceptions in limited playing time, more passes defensed and even helped seal the win in the Dallas game for the division by breaking up a game winning pass to Michael Gallup I think it was. I was very excited to see him build off this for 2020!

2020 - the year he’s finally ready to play and show his value, the geniuses in the Eagles FO cut this kid because they were tired of waiting for him to become revis SMH 

You’re going to fing draft the kid injured and then get mad that he needs time to heal and get his feel for the game back??  I’m way more surprised when the eagles do something right these days. 

I would say the bolded is a very, very inaccurate description of Jones's 2019 season. He was absolutely awful when given the shot to play and every time he'd head to the sidelines with an injury after getting smoked, I counted it as a blessing for the team. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 10:25 AM, Utebird said:

This isn't surprising. 2nd year when Jones was healthy Schwartz decided to put him at nickel with Mills and Darby on the outside 

Jones was a failure there of course as most his college he played outside

Then he got hurt of course over and over made some plays last year in like 5 snaps over 3 games got hurt again and cut.

Then goes to another team where he'll probably never get hurt again and is a top rated corner😒

But hey the eagles have midget wonder maddox, also hurt😒

Never understood the thinking in drafting an outside corner in 2nd round to move him to nickel then never let him see the light of day again.

Eagles set him up to fail lost patience with him and cut him and it serves them right that he's playing well now.😠

I actually disagree with you. Those first few games (of his 2nd season) when Jones was the nickel corner he was one of the best in the league. He then got hurt and when he came back he looked horrible because he was not fully healthy.

But yes, he was set up to fail for sure.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, EazyEaglez said:

You mean Duce using Boston Scott inside the 5 yard line doesn’t impress you? 😂

Rotation man rotation.... He was fresh  and he can hide behind those giant Lineman (as we are always reminded in every chris collinsworth commentary)... 

You know what rhymes with Jones? Injury prone. I feel bad for the kid. But letting him go was the right call.

• Like 1

"That other player is Chandon Sullivan. Sullivan went undrafted in 2018 out of Georgia State. He was activated during his rookie year for the Eagles and wasn’t used correctly in Jim Schwartz’s defensive scheme. Like so many others, Sullivan has succeeded after leaving the Eagles as Rasul Douglas and Sidney Jones have this year. He was signed by the Packers on May 6, 2019. Before the preseason, nobody had Sullivan making the 53-man roster. Throughout the preseason, he continued to make plays, including an interception against Houston. Sullivan made the initial roster and never looked back.”

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2020/10/16/chandon-sullivan-the-best-player-you-have-never-heard-of/

Well it’s good to know Schwarz is consistent when it come to blowing it and failing to use his players correctly. 

21 minutes ago, B3 said:

Schwartz is a cornerback killer. 

Thing is yeah I mean his scheme doesn't fit well to corners does it? He puts them on an island and relies on his DL to get pressure. I mean there's nothing flash about it really. 

40 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Thing is yeah I mean his scheme doesn't fit well to corners does it? He puts them on an island and relies on his DL to get pressure. I mean there's nothing flash about it really. 

The more I watch other teams the more I realize how much our offense sucks too ... not just the defense.  And that isn’t just related to all the injuries.  The scheme / play design are just uncreative and boring and certainly does not get the best out of his players (just like Schwartz’s scheme on D).   We really need a change at both coordinator positions.  Doug’s biggest strength?   He gets his players (well most of them) to play hard for him.  To reach our full potential he needs to hire a legit OC and give up full control of the offense to him.  

• Like 2