Howie Continues to Kick the Can Down the Road (Restructures Cox's Contract)

time2rock

An additional $5.732M in 2020 cap space was recently created when Howie restructured Cox's contract converting some of his salary into a bonus.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/21/eagles-push-some-of-fletcher-coxs-cap-hit-to-next-year/

Wonder if this is setting up a move to swing a deal before the trade deadline.  

• Like 4

Why is Howie retaining our best players??? How could he do this to us?

Doesnt he know that Eagles fans would rather lose and get pickZzz than try to win?   

Clean house until we have every single first round pick, then its SB time!!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

So how bad is our 2021 cap now?

I don't see how this could make it any better. Can't believe Howie is trying to buy and be a pathetic 6 win playoff team and get smoked in the WC game. Hopefully it's true what AS reported when he said Eagles will be sellers. I hope that's true

I'd like to kick Howie. Full stop. End of. 

What a joke. Let's kick the can down the road to free up more space this year. For what? 

Get this guy out of here before he ruins this team for the next decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

An additional $5.732M in 2020 cap space was recently created when Howie restructured Cox's contract converting some of his salary into a bonus.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/21/eagles-push-some-of-fletcher-coxs-cap-hit-to-next-year/

Sounds to me like we either re-sign a player  or we are getting ready to eat some salary this year in a deal trading away a player. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I believe this is Cox's last year with the team.

But Howie will certainly be back if he’s making moves for next year. At least as a cap guy, maybe Lurie will have second thoughts about him as a personnel guy. 

3 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

But Howie will certainly be back if he’s making moves for next year. At least as a cap guy, maybe Lurie will have second thoughts about him as a personnel guy. 

He's probably creating such a tangled mess that Lurie won't be able to get rid of him. What a mess this is. 

2021 cap is already in trouble so he moves money from this year into next year...hmm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Goodness I hope not

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

Why is Howie retaining our best players??? How could he do this to us?

Doesnt he know that Eagles fans would rather lose and get pickZzz than try to win?   

Clean house until we have every single first round pick, then its SB time!!

Not for nothing, but Fletch will be 30 in December. He probably could be effective for another 2-3 years. Rather than constantly bloating the cap down the road every year how about moving Fletch for picks or are you foolish enough to to ASSume this 1-4-1 team got a chance to win Super Bowlzzzz now? 

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Making room for OBJ 🤣🤣🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Or AJ Green, or Julio. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Don’t bet on it.

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

2021 cap is already in trouble so he moves money from this year into next year...hmm.

I think I read the Eagles have like 40 or so players under contract for 2021, but are estimated 50 million over the cap and from what I could tell most of the moves (If they were to cut players) wouldn’t exactly give them much cap relief at all. 

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think I read the Eagles have like 40 or so players under contract for 2021, but are estimated 50 million over the cap and from what I could tell most of the moves (If they were to cut players) wouldn’t exactly give them much cap relief at all. 

The roster will be a disaster next year. This team doesn’t have a lot of talent to begin with and after they start butchering the roster to create cap space, there’s going to be Wentz, a couple good young players, aging veterans that they can’t move and all minimum salary players. 

3 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

The roster will be a disaster next year. This team doesn’t have a lot of talent to begin with and after they start butchering the roster to create cap space, there’s going to be Wentz, a couple good young players, aging veterans that they can’t move and all minimum salary players. 

There’s some dark times ahead. There’s just not enough young talent to pick up the slack for aging veterans. So glad we used a 2nd round pick on a gadget backup quarterback though. 

• Like 1

I think these GMs know something about 2021 cap that we don’t. Some sort of negotiation or change happening. Every team is way over this Covid Projected Cap. They will probably announce some sort of adjustment to the cap limit next year, and Howie will once again look like a cap genius. 

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

Cox has been declining the past 2 seasons

He was our best player vs the ravens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Making room for OBJ 🤣🤣🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Or AJ Green, or Julio. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just read they’re the favorites for John Ross. I hope not but that would be a typical Howie move. Just because the guy can run fast doesn’t mean he can play football. 

5 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

I think these GMs know something about 2021 cap that we don’t. Some sort of negotiation or change happening. Every team is way over this Covid Projected Cap. They will probably announce some sort of adjustment to the cap limit next year, and Howie will once again look like a cap genius. 

They’re signing a huge new Tv deal with fox, cbs, nbc, and espn. I’m not too concerned with the cap shrinking. Players union won’t have it and owners won’t want to F their GMs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

Don’t you think Covid will be over by next year? I mean Pfizer is manufacturing the vaccine as we speak and will be ready to deliver 100 million doses this year. They’re just waiting for approval from the FDA to start distribution which they’re aiming for the 3rd week of November.