Howie Continues to Kick the Can Down the Road (Restructures Cox's Contract)

time2rock

8 minutes ago, erformc said:

Both are untradeable. The reason is because trading them is, for salary cap purposes, the same as cutting them as a pre-June 1st cut and you can’t get under the cap without cutting them with the post 6/1 designation. 

A BG trade would save only $700k against the cap in 2021 ($17M dead money hit) 

Trading Malik Jackson would result in only $1M in savings ($12M dead money hit)

Fair enough.  Teams can’t designate anyone traded prior to June as a post-June 1 player.  So if you thought you could trade them, you could in theory hold them (which players hate) until after June to make that work.  So, yes, unlikely.  But still possible.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, Godfather said:

Cox has been declining the past 2 seasons

It happens when you are constantly double teamed.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:11 AM, Mike31mt said:

Why is Howie retaining our best players??? How could he do this to us?

Doesnt he know that Eagles fans would rather lose and get pickZzz than try to win?   

Clean house until we have every single first round pick, then its SB time!!

Who exactly is a BEST player? Someone who was real good but was injured and has not played for 2 years, Or someone who is young and healthy and is giving it all on the field? The best ability is Availability.

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

I would argue he was constantly double teamed his entire career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Donald gets double teamed all the time and averages double digit sack seasons all the time. Chris Jones gets doubled and he doesn't have half the help Cox has

6 hours ago, erformc said:

I agree it’s a big hit along the DL but it’s impossible to get under the cap without cutting BG and Malik because they have the biggest cap hits. They’re painted into a corner thanks to the constant conversions of salary to signing bonus and the use of "dummy years”. 

What about trading Cox? They just restructured him... Perhaps that was to encourage other teams to enter in to trade discussions?

9 hours ago, Godfather said:

Donald gets double teamed all the time and averages double digit sack seasons all the time. Chris Jones gets doubled and he doesn't have half the help Cox has

It's Schwartz's scheme. I said it when we signed him to be the DC. His scheme has the star DT read and react more so than get up field. Bringing in Schwartz automatically meant Cox's numbers wouldn't be as high as when we played a 3-4. 

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What about trading Cox? They just restructured him... Perhaps that was to encourage other teams to enter in to trade discussions?

Nope. $13M dead money hit this year and $21M next year. 

2 hours ago, erformc said:

Nope. $13M dead money hit this year and $21M next year. 

Despite the restructure? So what was the point in the restructure? Jesus Howie...

33 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Despite the restructure? So what was the point in the restructure? Jesus Howie...

It was about having an extra $5.7M to roll over into a league-wide cap strapped year in 2021. If the cap goes down, they'll need more room. That's my guess.

11 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

It was about having an extra $5.7M to roll over into a league-wide cap strapped year in 2021. If the cap goes down, they'll need more room. That's my guess.

But wouldn't the restructure also create a larger cap hit in 2021 for Cox?  

I can only assume the added hit to the cap is less than the $5.7M they added to roll over. 

If that is the case, wonder what the actual net benefit is to the cap ($5.7M minus the added cap hit in 2021)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I can only assume the added hit to the cap is less than the $5.7M they added to roll over. 

If that is the case, wonder what the actual net benefit is to the cap ($5.7M minus the added cap hit in 2021)?

I can't say, but I assume the same. Otherwise, it's pointless.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

The restructuring added another "dummy year” to the contract so the increase in his 2021 cap number is less than the rollover space created. 

11 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me though as it'll just push a cap hit in to future years? Seems like kicking it down the road to me...

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me though as it'll just push a cap hit in to future years? Seems like kicking it down the road to me...

Yep ... hence the title of the thread.  :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 12:20 PM, time2rock said:

An additional $5.732M in 2020 cap space was recently created when Howie restructured Cox's contract converting some of his salary into a bonus.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/21/eagles-push-some-of-fletcher-coxs-cap-hit-to-next-year/

Wonder if this is setting up a move to swing a deal before the trade deadline.  

Michale Thomas WR Saints just reported to be on the block. Howie doesn’t often pull mega deal trades, but when he does...he does it when nobody is looking 😎

24CC4D56-A2DB-4B36-BCEF-05FDC6C253D6.jpeg

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Yep ... hence the title of the thread.  :-)

I just figured there surely had to be some kind of grand plan there... Perhaps not. Just Howie doing Howie things. 

23 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

So pretty much useless then. 

• Like 1