Howie Continues to Kick the Can Down the Road (Restructures Cox's Contract)

time2rock

1 hour ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Goodness I hope not

The move makes no sense otherwise as he is just adding more to the cap next year when it is projected to be reduced.  Unless he is planning to roll over the extra $5M and the extra amount added to next year’s cap is less than $5M.  

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

I think these GMs know something about 2021 cap that we don’t. Some sort of negotiation or change happening. Every team is way over this Covid Projected Cap. They will probably announce some sort of adjustment to the cap limit next year, and Howie will once again look like a cap genius. 

We're not in a good place

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Next year Howie will restructure half the team to move cap money to 2022 (which is already in worse shape than 2021).  Then in 2022 keep doing the same thing.  By 2028 the cap will be in the bazillions!  Financial genius!  :excited:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wtfcares said:

I think these GMs know something about 2021 cap that we don’t. Some sort of negotiation or change happening. Every team is way over this Covid Projected Cap. They will probably announce some sort of adjustment to the cap limit next year, and Howie will once again look like a cap genius. 

I feel there's probably some truth to this idea. I also don't know how much info overthecap.com is really privy to regarding contract details. They aren't an official site affiliated with the NFL in any way. I know there are a lot of anxious Eagles fans worrying about the future and zeroing in on Howie. This move is curious based on what we think we know. We have no choice but to see how his plan unfolds. It may be possible that he does know what he's doing. Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean something isn't in the works.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean something isn't in the works.

I think all we know is that the league have agreed to a floor on how low the cap can be haven't they? So we know the minimum the cap will be, we don't know what the max can be and we don't know what the most likely cap will be?

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

There’s some dark times ahead. There’s just not enough young talent to pick up the slack for aging veterans. So glad we used a 2nd round pick on a gadget backup quarterback though. 

Don't forget using a 3 on a bust developmental LB, whatever that is

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think all we know is that the league have agreed to a floor on how low the cap can be haven't they? So we know the minimum the cap will be, we don't know what the max can be and we don't know what the most likely cap will be?

The part you quoted, I was actually referring to Howie and player moves.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The part you quoted, I was actually referring to Howie and player moves.

My apologies bud. I think you get my overall point there though... We know the floor for this cap and we are waiting to see what actually happens. Perhaps the GMs know more than us, I am sure in fact that they do but all we know is the floor.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

My apologies bud. I think you get my overall point there though... We know the floor for this cap and we are waiting to see what actually happens. Perhaps the GMs know more than us, I am sure in fact that they do but all we know is the floor.

The part that is weird is we know we still have some space this year that we can roll over if we don't use it. Restructuring a contract to free up more space this year at the expense of next season tells us this is part 1 of ... ? Now ... how can that help our cap situation? A trade involving Cox? That would take more money off the books next year and potentially increase the roll-over from this season as well, I would assume. 

IDK if that is the plan, part of the plan, or if it's something else altogether, but it has to be some precursor for something bigger coming up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The part that is weird is we know we still have some space this year that we can roll over if we don't use it. Restructuring a contract to free up more space this year at the expense of next season tells us this is part 1 of ... ? Now ... how can that help our cap situation? A trade involving Cox? That would take more money off the books next year and potentially increase the roll-over from this season as well, I would assume. 

IDK if that is the plan, part of the plan, or if it's something else altogether, but it has to be some precursor for something bigger coming up. 

Absolutely agree with you. Freeing up cap space this year does what? It means either they are looking to trade Cox OR they are trying to free up cap space to make some moves this year right? It has to be one of the two surely? Otherwise what would be the point.

I have the feeling that the league will not penalize teams for going over the cap in the offseason considering how badly this pandemic has shaken teams' planning.  Maybe something akin to what the NBA did.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely agree with you. Freeing up cap space this year does what? It means either they are looking to trade Cox OR they are trying to free up cap space to make some moves this year right? It has to be one of the two surely? Otherwise what would be the point.

The Buffalo Bills OLine dude- Quinton Spain, keeps coming to mind. Probably not going to happen, but an article I read about it keeps coming to mind after they restructured Cox's contract. He is an ok player- I am not wowed by him. He can play multiple places on the O line, though, and with the Eagles situation, who knows what Howie does here.

24 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

The Buffalo Bills OLine dude- Quinton Spain, keeps coming to mind. Probably not going to happen, but an article I read about it keeps coming to mind after they restructured Cox's contract. He is an ok player- I am not wowed by him. He can play multiple places on the O line, though, and with the Eagles situation, who knows what Howie does here.

I mean sure... This team needs to get younger and it needs to get cheaper. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean sure... This team needs to get younger and it needs to get cheaper. 

Too bad I have no confidence the guy selecting the players will make the right choices. 

55 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I would be okay with them addressing the OL because that would help Carson stay healthy. But, they shouldn't be looking to trade or take on additional contracts right now for other positions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Too bad I have no confidence the guy selecting the players will make the right choices. 

Oh you and me both! Though he's better at bringing in proven NFL guys than he is at drafting.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh you and me both! Though he's better at bringing in proven NFL guys than he is at drafting.

A lot of GMs can sign free agents. I’m more interest in seeing our GM draft his own all pro players rather than signing other GMs all pro players and being forced to overpay. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

A lot of GMs can sign free agents. I’m more interest in seeing our GM draft his own all pro players rather than signing other GMs all pro players and being force to overpay. 

Oh I don't argue that and you know my views on Howie! I'm just saying the one think that he has done OK at times is bring in proven guys. 

5 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I have the feeling that the league will not penalize teams for going over the cap in the offseason considering how badly this pandemic has shaken teams' planning.  Maybe something akin to what the NBA did.

It would be hilarious if a force outside the team's control ended up bailing them out of their 2021 cap situation. 

9 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It would be hilarious if a force outside the team's control ended up bailing them out of their 2021 cap situation. 

Or something that the team, not the public, knows is going to happen so they’ve planned and acted for it accordingly. 

They needed to free up some space for next year so good idea. Still a few more dead weight players that need to go though.

56 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

They needed to free up some space for next year so good idea. Still a few more dead weight players that need to go though.

Djac & Alshon for starters