Patrick Surtain II (Alabama CB) -- DRAFTED BY DENVER #9

Ray75

Need a real corner this year. If it’s not Surtain because we get Chase round 1. I want stokes round 2. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know it may be unfair but I still have some reservations over Bama players. Maybe its just because all picks are a gamble and the Bama guys come of college with greater expectations of them?

Certain positions like many schools they just have success. yes its not 100% all the time but better chance at success in the NFL. For Bama its RBs, DBs and WRs. Do they have players that have not succeeded as well in those positions? Of course but much more of them have a good NFL career. 

Like Ohio State Id say DBs and Dline are their tops. Id stay far away from any QB from Ohio State. 

21 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Need a real corner this year. If it’s not Surtain because we get Chase round 1. I want stokes round 2. 

100 % agree! Perfect scenario IMO. Chase falling into our lap in the first and Stokes in the second. I like Samuel Jr. too but it wouldn’t surprise me when all is said and done at the combine he’s just 5’9”. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I like Samuel Jr. too but it wouldn’t surprise me when all is said and done at the combine he’s just 5’9”. 

Desean Jackson was 5'8 on combine, he became 5-10 when he made the Eagles roster and became a great WR

On 10/28/2020 at 9:33 AM, VeeMak said:

I love this kid, but he excels in zone.  Gym Shortz would ruin his NFL career.

Now that Schwartz is gone we’ll have to see what kind of D we run. He definitely wouldn’t fit into a Jim Schwartz type defense. 

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

100 % agree! Perfect scenario IMO. Chase falling into our lap in the first and Stokes in the second. I like Samuel Jr. too but it wouldn’t surprise me when all is said and done at the combine he’s just 5’9”. 

Perfect picks IMO. Howie will somehow get cute and screw it up. 

3 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Now that Schwartz is gone we’ll have to see what kind of D we run. He definitely wouldn’t fit into a Jim Schwartz type defense. 

I am liking Farley better than Surtain regardless.  Farley is long like Surtain but more athletic 

Surtain is not worthy of top 10 pick. I expect him to get torched vs Ohio State

• Like 1

Meh to that video.  Hips look stiff in playing the ball or WR, he's got no hops.  Can't tell if it's his hips or he's not settling on his heels (he doesn't really sit his butt down to open).  A NFL level QB is gonna take advantage of his no vert with better ball placement.  He also seems to have terrible feel shadowing and has to play very hands on.  The video is littered with drops from the WRs too.

Now that Schwartz is gone, I could get on board with this. I just didn’t want to waste a high pick on CB when his scheme flat out kills his CBs. 

Still not my first choice but wouldn’t be too upset. My first choice would be to try to move up for Fields if the Jets pass. Second would be either Chase or Smith (preferably Chase, but happy with either). If by some chance both are gone, then I’d go Surtain. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Now that Schwartz is gone, I could get on board with this. I just didn’t want to waste a high pick on CB when his scheme flat out kills his CBs. 

Still not my first choice but wouldn’t be too upset. My first choice would be to try to move up for Fields if the Jets pass. Second would be either Chase or Smith (preferably Chase, but happy with either). If by some chance both are gone, then I’d go Surtain. 

I don't agree here. Schwartz sometimes left his cornerbacks out to dry but there was a lot of bad safety play. Schwartz needed a top flight safety and McLeod regressed as well as Jenkins (last year). some of the biggest plays given up where because of bad safety play which is crazy to think about but it is what it is.

i am not saying the corners were have a good (besides Slay) but that is one of the issues that gets overlooked.

Surtain's deep speed in an issue. Overall, he's a good CB prospect who should probably go middle 1st round to a zone defense. The real star CB is coming out next year in Stingley from LSU. In 2019 as a true Freshman he did extremely well given he was only a few months out of High School. Keep an eye on him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I don't agree here. Schwartz sometimes left his cornerbacks out to dry but there was a lot of bad safety play. Schwartz needed a top flight safety and McLeod regressed as well as Jenkins (last year). some of the biggest plays given up where because of bad safety play which is crazy to think about but it is what it is.

i am not saying the corners were have a good (besides Slay) but that is one of the issues that gets overlooked.

There’s a reason both Douglas and Darby sucked here, then left and had pretty good seasons elsewhere. 

Schwartz absolutely hangs his CBs out to dry. 

5 hours ago, nipples said:

There’s a reason both Douglas and Darby sucked here, then left and had pretty good seasons elsewhere. 

Again, I said I realize that but the safety play did not help either. Our safety play has been piss poor. No coincidence that Douglas and Darby have better safeties behind them

7 hours ago, nipples said:

Nope - Darby was really good in 2017, he just got hurt after that. Douglas was a better scheme fit elsewhere. He was pretty below average even then. 

Having said that, they shouldn't have got rid of him and Jones, they were better than our other options.

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Nope - Darby was really good in 2017, he just got hurt after that. Douglas was a better scheme fit elsewhere. He was pretty below average even then. 

Darby was really good in 2017 but let's not forget he missed a chunk of the season. 

17 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Having said that, they shouldn't have got rid of him and Jones, they were better than our other options.

Schwartz never seemed to care for either of them.  That could have played a factor in both being released.  

Honestly don’t think Surtain is all he is hype to be. He is not a shut down corner

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Honestly don’t think Surtain is all he is hype to be. He is not a shut down corner

I think he is a good prospect but not one I’m wanting to take at #6. I’d rather go Chase there if he’s on the board, and grab a CB like Samuel Jr later on. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I think he is a good prospect but not one I’m wanting to take at #6. I’d rather go Chase there if he’s on the board, and grab a CB like Samuel Jr later on. 

Not saying that is the right strategy but that is exactly what I’ve been stating in other threads ... Chase with 6 and then one of the 2nd tier CBs with 37.  I don’t think there is that much separation between the top CBs (Surtain, Farley) and next tier (Samuel Jr, Horn, Campbe, etc).  

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not saying that is the right strategy but that is exactly what I’ve been stating in other threads ... Chase with 6 and then one of the 2nd tier CBs with 37.  I don’t think there is that much separation between the top CBs (Surtain, Farley) and next tier (Samuel Jr, Horn, Campbe, etc).  

Let’s face it; this draft class lacks elite talent at DT, DE, CB and S. The value for all these positions will start at the bottom of the first round all the way up to the beginning of the 4th.