Former Eagles Rasul Douglas

PDD

Why did we let him go?  It seems like he is doing really well !!

"

Updating my weekly report, 6-foot-2 Douglas has shadowed 6-foot-3 Mike Williams (one catch for 17 yards in the game), 6-foot-1 Hopkins (seven catches for 41 yards in the game) and 6-foot-3 Robinson (five catches for 53 yards in the game) over the past four weeks. Douglas has benefited from a Cover-3-heavy Carolina defense that has been in zone on a league-high 75% of its defensive snaps.

Still, he's been assigned the opposing team's top receivers and hasn't allowed much in coverage. In turn, the Panthers have allowed the fourth-fewest fantasy points to wideouts, including the 10th fewest to the perimeter and fifth fewest to the slot. They've allowed 11.0 YPR and 7.2 YPT, both of which are lowest in the NFL.

Thomas is expected back from injury and suspension this week and very well could be in for a dud in his return. Don't bench him, but lower expectations. Sanders will see Jackson and/or the rookie Pride on the other side of the field and should be upgraded against the struggling youngsters"

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/insider/story/_/id/30160134/fantasy-football-week-7-shadow-report-key-wr-cb-matchups

16 minutes ago, PDD said:

Why did we let him go? 

Because on the coaching staff and in the front office resides morons.

• Like 3

Rasul thrives when he is in zone coverage. Never was going to excel in man defense. Wish Schwartz could have been more creative to find ways to get Rasul in situations where he could have played to his strengths.

• Like 8

This organization has trouble developing CBs and WRs.  Some of it is system and some if it is adjusting to players' strengths/teaching.  I wouldn't be surprised if Doug doesn't play Fulgham as much when DJax and Alshon return and it will probably stunt his development.  Jim just likes to rush 4 and his schemes are pretty vanilla in terms of coverage.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PDD said:

Douglas has benefited from a Cover-3-heavy Carolina defense that has been in zone on a league-high 75% of its defensive snaps.

You answered your own question in the quote. When he was here he mostly played outside man coverage with 1 safety who may or may not back him up on deep routes. He didn't fit with the heavy man scheme our D coordinator likes to call. Simple as that.

Personally I would've kept him on the team simply b/c he was literally the ONLY corner we had that could stay healthy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PDD said:

It's sad that we have coaches that can't adjust their  schemes to fit the players'  strength.  

And there in lies the problem with some of these perceived failed draft picks.  Howie strikes out more than you'd like but perhaps not as often as we all blame him for.  I do think the stubbornness of the DC to adjust his scheme to fit the strengths of his players more often leads to players failing here, as you indicated.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NCTANK said:

schwartz gotta go

This is the main problem. He has to go. His schemes are horrible unless you have a top 5 player at every position. If he could change his scheme or learn to utilize his players to their strengths; the defense wouldn't be much of an issue. This staff is to stubborn and lacks the ability to compromise/tweak things. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PDD said:

It's sad that we have coaches that can't adjust their  schemes to fit the players'  strength.  

Wrong. Its sad we don't draft players that fit the coaches scheme.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Wrong. Its sad we don't draft players that fit the coaches scheme.

Some of both I suspect. If you draft to fit a D.C.s you better be happy with the scheme and if you have to replace the D.C. you better get one that uses the same scheme. 

1 minute ago, eglz1 said:

Some of both I suspect. If you draft to fit a D.C.s you better be happy with the scheme and if you have to replace the D.C. you better get one that uses the same scheme. 

That's usually when you clean house. Look, Slay, plays man, has been doing really well. You draft players that fit your scheme, or players that shown they can adjust to it. 

Im loving every post now saying "Why did we let Jones go?" " Why did we let Douglas go?" "Jim 's defensive scheme is killing these DBs" "Dougs play calling, script and game planning is the problem with the offense" All these same people now changing their tone and  saying these comments when people months ago, years ago defending Jim, and saying Jones and Douglas suck and need to go. I was called crazy the last two years defending Jones and Douglas and calling for Jims head. Feels sweat that everyone finally sees the light, lol. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Im loving every post now saying "Why did we let Jones go?" " Why did we let Douglas go?" "Jim 's defensive scheme is killing these DBs" "Dougs play calling, script and game planning is the problem with the offense" All these same people now changing their tone and  saying these comments when people months ago, years ago defending Jim, and saying Jones and Douglas suck and need to go. I was called crazy the last two years defending Jones and Douglas and calling for Jims head. Feels sweat that everyone finally sees the light, lol. 

To be fair, Jones couldn't stay on the field. Douglas was used wrong. I was more upset over Douglas than Jones.

Rasul Douglas always showed promise but did not fit Schwartz defense. I think everyone saw that. 

• Like 3

I have been told that Howie is a terrible drafter, but now that his draft picks are doing better elsewhere, it is because of the scheme?

So the players are good but the scheme is bad? Or is it that Howie cant draft? Or can Howie draft but because the scheme isnt adjusted to the players they have it doesnt work? Or Howie cant draft specific players to fit a specific scheme? Who are these players that fit this scheme? I mean he did find LJ Fort who couldnt get on the field here but starts for Baltimore. So Howie is to blame, but isnt to blame? Or do we just blame Howie because it is easy?

I am so confused....

14 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I have been told that Howie is a terrible drafter, but now that his draft picks are doing better elsewhere, it is because of the scheme?

So the players are good but the scheme is bad? Or is it that Howie cant draft? Or can Howie draft but because the scheme isnt adjusted to the players they have it doesnt work? Or Howie cant draft specific players to fit a specific scheme? Who are these players that fit this scheme? I mean he did find LJ Fort who couldnt get on the field here but starts for Baltimore. So Howie is to blame, but isnt to blame? Or do we just blame Howie because it is easy?

I am so confused....

It seems these players are talented when playing in certain schemes. Unfortunately Howie seems to be confused about our scheme. Teams saw the players and thought they would excell in their schemes, seems that they have been right. For me the biggest surprise is how Jones hasn't been hurt yet. Gotta be the Philly water....

• Like 1

Why do you draft a guy who doesn’t fit your scheme? Why don’t you adjust your scheme to the strengths and weaknesses of your players? 

• Like 1

I've always been on the Douglas bandwaggon. Was so excited when he was drafted. Loved him coming out of college. He is not fluid in coverage though. He is best in zone because it compliments his best attributes: reading the play and ball-hawking.

Man-1 or Man-2 is not where he excels. Turning and running with a guy, sticking with his hips, are not where he excels. So don't play him like that.

13 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Let’s not act like we’re all Douglas homers now

Not all but quite a few of us been begging Schwartz to use him to his strengths not his weaknesses.  The guy was literally the only CB that could stay healthy and the only one who could come close to causing turnovers.  He actually had some resemblance of having ball skills.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Why do you draft a guy who doesn’t fit your scheme? Why don’t you adjust your scheme to the strengths and weaknesses of your players? 

So you are saying that the draft strategy should not be BPA.

51 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

I've always been on the Douglas bandwaggon. Was so excited when he was drafted. Loved him coming out of college. He is not fluid in coverage though. He is best in zone because it compliments his best attributes: reading the play and ball-hawking.

Man-1 or Man-2 is not where he excels. Turning and running with a guy, sticking with his hips, are not where he excels. So don't play him like that.

Wouldn't surprise me if Schwartz doesnt realize this.

47 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

So you are saying that the draft strategy should not be BPA.

Was Rasul Douglas BPA? Was Donell Pumphrey BPA? If you have a franchise quarterback do you draft another because of BPA?