Former Eagles Rasul Douglas

PDD

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Was Rasul Douglas BPA? Was Donell Pumphrey BPA? If you have a franchise quarterback do you draft another because of BPA? 

Is it BPA available? Is it BPA available but only if they fit your scheme? Is it BPA available but only if they fit your scheme and only at a position of need?

Is BPA determined by the draft position value that Kiper and McShay place on a player?

Is it that Howie stinks at drafting or is it that the scheme is bad?

I just want to know what it is. Because it is starting to seem like to me that it is a damned if you do damned if you dont situation for Howie. If he drafts a player to fit the scheme like Pumphrey and he doesnt work out because he cant make it in the NFL - he is crucified. If he drafts the BPA at a position of need like Douglas and he doesnt work out because of the scheme - he is crucified.

28 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Is it BPA available? Is it BPA available but only if they fit your scheme? Is it BPA available but only if they fit your scheme and only at a position of need?

Is BPA determined by the draft position value that Kiper and McShay place on a player?

I just want to know what it is. Because it is starting to seem like to me that it is a damned if you do damned if you dont situation for Howie. If he drafts a player to fit the scheme like Pumphrey and he doesnt work out because he cant make it in the NFL - he is crucified. If he drafts the BPA at a position of need like Douglas and he doesnt work out because of the scheme - he is crucified.

Howie’s crucified for Pumphrey because he picked the absolute worst back in a draft full of backs. Howie is getting killed, because he’s not replenishing the talent on this roster and it’s forcing him to keep the older guys longer than he needs to. Howie’s getting killed because none of his 2017 draft is on the roster. He’s getting killed, because despite the fact this team has several holes to fill he thought the best use of a second round pick was one a developmental quarterback/gadget player after he just gave a monster contract to his starting quarterback. Furthermore if he feels because that quarterback is so injury prone that he felt he needed another guy to replace him just in case he gets injured then why draft a darn project and a guy who will run around more than Wentz and is just as likely too be injured? Howie’s getting killed because his picks Regar and JJAW simply aren’t getting job done while people drafted behind them are. You want to praise Howie then how about you tell me something he’s done worth all your praise? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

both. 

next question. 

• Like 2

Just for the Howie apologists. Saying "I don’t think it’s fair to criticize Howie” is not enough of a reason to stop people from criticizing Howie. 

58 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie’s crucified for Pumphrey because he picked the absolute worst back in a draft full of backs. Howie is getting killed, because he’s not replenishing the talent on this roster and it’s forcing him to keep the older guys longer than he needs to. Howie’s getting killed because none of his 2017 draft is on the roster. He’s getting killed, because despite the fact this team has several holes to fill he thought the best use of a second round pick was one a developmental quarterback/gadget player after he just gave a monster contract to his starting quarterback. Furthermore if he feels because that quarterback is so injury prone that he felt he needed another guy to replace him just in case he gets injured then why draft a darn project and a guy who will run around more than Wentz and is just as likely too be injured? Howie’s getting killed because his picks Regar and JJAW simply aren’t getting job done while people drafted behind them are. You want to praise Howie then how about you tell me something he’s done worth all your praise? 

Look Howie is the GM and he deserves praise when the team is doing well and he deserves being second guessed when he is not. Right now his team is doing a terrible job and he deserves being second guessed. It is just annoying to me how much you guys talk out of both sides of your mouth when you talk about him, especially when he is held up to a ridiculously high standard that no other GM in the league is being held to.

I mean look you just said that none of his 2017 draft picks are on the roster, yet both Barnett and Gerry are starting tonight.

You said that Pumphrey is the worst back of the 2017 draft. You are probably correct - but it is not like he was taken in the 1st or 2nd round. He was a 4th round pick. I mean it is not like what Seattle did with taking Malik McDowell 35th overall and never suiting up for the NFL. Even with that he found an UDFA in Clement who was huge in the Super Bowl.

You guys look at draft picks and expect players from the 4th round on to be stars. Then you never look at the rest of the league when it comes to the draft to make an honest assessment of the Eagles.

I dont think that Howie is great, but I also do not think that Howie is terrible. I think when it comes to drafting and player acquisition he is above average in comparison.  

This is not being a Howie apologist. I am just calling out all hypocritical BS that you guys consistently spew. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Im loving every post now saying "Why did we let Jones go?" " Why did we let Douglas go?" "Jim 's defensive scheme is killing these DBs" "Dougs play calling, script and game planning is the problem with the offense" All these same people now changing their tone and  saying these comments when people months ago, years ago defending Jim, and saying Jones and Douglas suck and need to go. I was called crazy the last two years defending Jones and Douglas and calling for Jims head. Feels sweat that everyone finally sees the light, lol. 

I have been right along with everyone calling for that moron's head, which has been since he has gotten here. I hate that man.....like really despise him...

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

It seems these players are talented when playing in certain schemes. Unfortunately Howie seems to be confused about our scheme. Teams saw the players and thought they would excell in their schemes, seems that they have been right. For me the biggest surprise is how Jones hasn't been hurt yet. Gotta be the Philly water....

A few things about Douglas:

1) It's been 3/4 games - people need to relax.

2) Saying that we never should have let him go. He doesn't fit the system but he's still more effective than most of what we have at outside corner.

3) Schwartz's scheme is built around stuffing the run and when it's working cutting off the easy pass. Because of that it often exposes the outside corners. It's not built to make them look good. 

4) From 2016-2019 Schwartz had the D ranked 7 in scoring D - the most important stat. 

5) The D hasn't been good this year and it may be time for the Eagles and Schwartz to part ways. That doesn't change the fact that he has kept the Eagles D competitive for years with moderate talent and often crippling injuries.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

3) Schwartz's scheme is built around stuffing the run and when it's working cutting off the easy pass. Because of that it often exposes the outside corners. It's not built to make them look good. 

Is it? I see a lot of very easy passes that get completed on this defense...

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

A few things about Douglas:

1) It's been 3/4 games - people need to relax.

2) Saying that we never should have let him go. He doesn't fit the system but he's still more effective than most of what we have at outside corner.

4) From 2016-2019 Schwartz had the D ranked 7 in scoring D - the most important stat. 

5) The D hasn't been good this year and it may be time for the Eagles and Schwartz to part ways. That doesn't change the fact that he has kept the Eagles D competitive for years with moderate talent and often crippling injuries.

I also think our D depends on the O controlling the ball (t.o.p.) and not giving up short fields. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Is it? I see a lot of very easy passes that get completed on this defense...

This year certainly. But look at his stats before this year:

Do you need more stats? (Credit Dave Zangaro of NBC Sports, who did the math). Since Schwartz was given total control over the defense, here are some four-year rankings:

Points allowed: 7th best of 32 teams
Rushing yards allowed: 1st
First downs allowed: 2nd
Third-down percentage allowed: 3rd
Takeaways: 9th
Sacks: 12th

Schwartz is good at stopping teams just grinding constant first downs, whether rushing or receiving. He is also good on 3rd downs (despite popular opinions otherwise)

26 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I also think our D depends on the O controlling the ball (t.o.p.) and not giving up short fields. 

I think that has definitely hurt this year. The O has not sustained drives and has turned the ball over a lot. I actually thought the D did a pretty good job against the Ravens.

But they just haven't been great this year, particularly in red zone D.

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Look Howie is the GM and he deserves praise when the team is doing well and he deserves being second guessed when he is not. Right now his team is doing a terrible job and he deserves being second guessed. It is just annoying to me how much you guys talk out of both sides of your mouth when you talk about him, especially when he is held up to a ridiculously high standard that no other GM in the league is being held to.

I mean look you just said that none of his 2017 draft picks are on the roster, yet both Barnett and Gerry are starting tonight.

You said that Pumphrey is the worst back of the 2017 draft. You are probably correct - but it is not like he was taken in the 1st or 2nd round. He was a 4th round pick. I mean it is not like what Seattle did with taking Malik McDowell 35th overall and never suiting up for the NFL. Even with that he found an UDFA in Clement who was huge in the Super Bowl.

You guys look at draft picks and expect players from the 4th round on to be stars. Then you never look at the rest of the league when it comes to the draft to make an honest assessment of the Eagles.

I dont think that Howie is great, but I also do not think that Howie is terrible. I think when it comes to drafting and player acquisition he is above average in comparison.  

This is not being a Howie apologist. I am just calling out all hypocritical BS that you guys consistently spew. 

My bad. Barnett and Gerry are still here for now. Not that I expect either to be here after this year though. No I don’t expect a 4th rounder to become an all star, but I do expect 2nd round picks and earlier to at least become starters, and not just some silly gadget player. You don’t think Howie’s bad yet you’ve given me no proof to think otherwise. When Howie won exec of the year I didn’t see anyone start saying well this guy was the drafter so it wasn’t really him, or the scouts really did that not Howie. No Howie was the guy who made that work that year just like Howie’s the guy who made the bad contracts the Eagles are suffering through now and the draft selections that never amounted to much other than being fringe players on this squad. Howie’s the GM of a team that has been devastated by injuries since he’s been back in power. All in all these are players Howie picked and the coach has had to make due with mostly guys off the street. The Eagles can barley rely on any of the draftpicks by the great Howie and those are the first, second, and third round picks. If this team decided to clean house of its coaches then it needs to start over with its GM too. How does this guy keep surviving when the coaches keep getting fired and when really good football minds keep getting dumped? It’s time for Howie to go.

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

My bad. Barnett and Gerry are still here for now. Not that I expect either to be here after this year though. No I don’t expect a 4th rounder to become an all star, but I do expect 2nd round picks and earlier to at least become starters, and not just some silly gadget player. You don’t think Howie’s bad yet you’ve given me no proof to think otherwise. When Howie won exec of the year I didn’t see anyone start saying well this guy was the drafter so it wasn’t really him, or the scouts really did that not Howie. No Howie was the guy who made that work that year just like Howie’s the guy who made the bad contracts the Eagles are suffering through now and the draft selections that never amounted to much other than being fringe players on this squad. Howie’s the GM of a team that has been devastated by injuries since he’s been back in power. All in all these are players Howie picked and the coach has had to make due with mostly guys off the street. The Eagles can barley rely on any of the draftpicks by the great Howie and those are the first, second, and third round picks. If this team decided to clean house of its coaches then it needs to start over with its GM too. How does this guy keep surviving when the coaches keep getting fired and when really good football minds keep getting dumped? It’s time for Howie to go.

Howies first 3 picks since he took over again

2016 - 1-2 = C. Wentz - top tier QB / 3-79 I. Seumalo - Starting LG

2017 - 1-14 = B. Barnett - Starting DE / 2-43 S. Jones Bust  CB / 3-99 R. Douglas CB No longer here

2018 - 2-49 = D. Goedert Top Tier TE

2019 - 1-22 = A. Dillard Starting LT (Injured) / 2-53 M. Sanders RB Stud / 2 JJAW WR Bust so far

2020 - 1-21 = J. Reagor WR (dont know) / 2-53 J. Hurts QB (dont know) / 3-103 D Taylor (dont know)

So since 2016 he has made 12 picks in the first 3 rounds. 3 of them we don't know anything about because they were drafted in 2020 and it would be pure stupidity to include them into any analysis.

He has then made 9 picks. In those 9 picks he has 3 extremely good players (Wentz/Sanders/Goedert), he has 2 additional starters (Seumalo/Barnett), 1 that would have started but ended on IR (Dillard) and 3 busts.

That is above average production on drafting which is what I have been saying all along.

Also lets take talk about Hurts for a moment. Hurts provided the Eagles with a player that could get on the field for 5 plays a game and a cheap backup at the most important position in football. Then look at the picks from 54-102 in the 2020 draft. Who in all those picks stands out above everyone else that scream to you that the Eagles should have taken him?

It was a head scratcher when the pick was made, but when you step back and look at the big picture it is much clearer.

• Like 1

It’s all Schwartz. I always thought Rasul played bigger receivers very well. It’s when you put him on a guy like Stefon Diggs where he struggles. The problem is Schwartz is so stubborn he tries to fit a square peg in a round hole. Use a player to their strengths. 

• Haha 1

Schwartzs weakness is his rigidity with his scheme. Overall, our defense performs well (even last night we made some crucial stops when we needed it). Work with the players you have and adjust scheme accordingly. He needs to stop trying to put square pegs in circular holes. 

We could do a lot worse than Schwartz though.

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

It’s all Schwartz. I always thought Rasul played bigger receivers very well. It’s when you put him on a guy like Stefon Diggs where he struggles. The problem is Schwartz is so stubborn he tries to fit a square peg in a round hole. Use a player to their strengths. 

clearly I did not read the last post in the feed before I posted 🙃

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pallidrone said:

i disagree 100% with this part. howie is held to the standard that every single GM in any sport in the world should be held to. stop feeling bad because the guy is being torch for his F-ups. he enjoyed the praise for the super bowl and deservingly so, but right now he has earned every bit of criticism he's getting. 

that said, it's not all howie's fault. schwartz certainly deserves some blame as well. thing is, howie can remedy that problem and get a DC in here that isnt behind the times. 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:31 AM, Dwide Schrude said:

Let’s not act like we’re all Douglas homers now

No homer. Douglas when you watched him play clearly was their best tackling, playmaking DB. Yes, he was slow. But, he made plays when allowed to get on the field.

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Also lets take talk about Hurts for a moment. Hurts provided the Eagles with a player that could get on the field for 5 plays a game and a cheap backup at the most important position in football. Then look at the picks from 54-102 in the 2020 draft. Who in all those picks stands out above everyone else that scream to you that the Eagles should have taken him?

It was a head scratcher when the pick was made, but when you step back and look at the big picture it is much clearer.

C/G Lloyd Cushenberry

T/G Ezra Cleveland

S Jeremy Chinn

LB Logan Wilson

CB Cameron "Rasul Douglas II" Dantzler

CB Kristian Fulton

So if I were building the team, those are the players I would have been looking at. Granted, I would be running a zone blitz defense and so Douglas would still be on the team... but give me Slay, Douglas & Dantzler all day every day.

I didn't know how these players were performing prior to naming them.  But I looked them up, and Cushenberry is playing very well. Cleveland stepped in at RG for the Vikings, though he's been iffy  (and never played guard in college either LOL ZImmer).  Chinn is apparently playing D-ROY level ball.  Wilson has been on and off with an injury.  Dantzler has been "humbled" by the NFL in his first four games.  Fulton is contributing for an undefeated team to the tune of 55% of the snaps.

So, yeah... there's a lot of players I would have taken.   A lot of players that jumped off the screen that said "he'll fill a big hole on the team!" Backup QB was not one of them.  Some guys I would have picked are doing a stellar job, while others look like rookies.  But none of them look like they're riding the bench as a backup to the most expensive player on the team.

2 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Schwartzs weakness is his rigidity with his scheme. Overall, our defense performs well (even last night we made some crucial stops when we needed it). Work with the players you have and adjust scheme accordingly. He needs to stop trying to put square pegs in circular holes. 

We could do a lot worse than Schwartz though.

clearly I did not read the last post in the feed before I posted 🙃

Great minds think a like. 😀

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i disagree 100% with this part. howie is held to the standard that every single GM in any sport in the world should be held to. stop feeling bad because the guy is being torch for his F-ups. he enjoyed the praise for the super bowl and deservingly so, but right now he has earned every bit of criticism he's getting. 

that said, it's not all howie's fault. schwartz certainly deserves some blame as well. thing is, howie can remedy that problem and get a DC in here that isnt behind the times. 

Doug deserves some blame too. His decision making this year regarding 4th downs, going for two and some of the play calls have been horrible. I mean he punted so he could tie the game against the worst team in the league last year. But then he goes for two when it makes so sense to. 

3 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Howies first 3 picks since he took over again

2017 - 1-14 = B. Barnett - Starting DE / 2-43 S. Jones Bust  CB / 3-99 R. Douglas CB No longer here

2019 - 1-22 = A. Dillard Starting LT (Injured) / 2-53 M. Sanders RB Stud / 2 JJAW WR Bust so far

2020 - 1-21 = J. Reagor WR (dont know) / 2-53 J. Hurts QB (dont know) / 3-103 D Taylor (dont know)

So since 2016 he has made 12 picks in the first 3 rounds. 3 of them we don't know anything about because they were drafted in 2020 and it would be pure stupidity to include them into any analysis.

He has then made 9 picks. In those 9 picks he has 3 extremely good players (Wentz/Sanders/Goedert), he has 2 additional starters (Seumalo/Barnett), 1 that would have started but ended on IR (Dillard) and 3 busts.

That is above average production on drafting which is what I have been saying all along.

Just cause a guy is a "starter” it doesn’t mean he’s great. I don’t know what Dillard is right now. Playing in a few spot games doesn’t make him good. Goedert is a good player, but he’s not "top tier” year yet. And big picture on Hurts it’s still not clear. They literally have to disrupt the offense every time he’s in the game they have to force him into games. Right now considering all of the Eagles issues I’d rather have Chinn than Hurts. Funny nearly all of Howie’s "great picks” you speak of aren’t dressing cause they’re hurt right now. 😂🤦🏾‍♂️

8 hours ago, pallidrone said:

This is a defense of Howie? I mean really? I mean if that's the evidence that Howie fans have to defend him... Wow. 

On 10/23/2020 at 11:45 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

He is?

All Howie has done is produce team that has been in the playoffs for the last three year and won a Super Bowl, but yet he is being second guessed and people want him fired over missing on draft picks in the 4th round.