Could We Be Targeting NE CB Stephon Gilmore?

time2rock

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

1st Why isn’t this in IWTETG section? 2nd It’s never gonna happen. 3rd This team with all of its cap drama will not be trading for high priced contracts. They need draftpicks themselves.

It isn’t an IWTETG topic.  I posted it because of the rumor and wanted to see what people thought of it.  😉

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles don’t have the ammo to make this type of move. Howie would much rather use a first on a cricket player than to use that pick to get a star. 

No way I would give up a 1st for Gilmore.  

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It isn’t an IWTETG topic.  I posted it because of the rumor and wanted to see what people thought of it.  😉

Yeah we would have a bomb squad if even half these rumors about the Eagles were true. 

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not that it matters anyways. Howie will just blow the pick. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Agreed.  I'd do it if the Eagles were a SB contender and just needed another CB.

But as we all know....they are not SB contenders.

46 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Agreed.  I'd do it if the Eagles were a SB contender and just needed another CB.

Gilmore is a 30 year old corner and at this point moving to get him is about 4 years too late. Frankly there was a time when the Eagles were the team that dumped older talent before it was too late. Now it seems we want to collect them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

Anyone in the playoffs is a contender. Just gotta get there.

It would be dumb for us to take on salary right now. We have to get younger.  The only move the Eagles should consider is if there is a low cost linebacker or a guard that can come in here and take somebody's roster spot.  It is easy to justify an investment in guard and linebacker because we could use a talent upgrade there and OL helps protect Wentz who the Eagles have invested in.  Even if we get Gilmore, that doesn't make us a Super Bowl contender.  It's not going to happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

It would be dumb for us to take on salary right now. We have to get younger.  The only move the Eagles should consider is if there is a low cost linebacker or a guard that can come in here and take somebody's roster spot.  It is easy to justify an investment in guard and linebacker because we could use a talent upgrade there and OL helps protect Wentz who the Eagles have invested in.  Even if we get Gilmore, that doesn't make us a Super Bowl contender.  It's not going to happen.

But can you imagine having 2 corners you can leave on an island. That will open up so many more options for our D. 

8 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I agree with you and this part makes it more puzzling why the Eagles invested in a gadget player in the 2nd round over anyone who could have assisted in protecting and helping Wentz. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Portyansky said:

But can you imagine having 2 corners you can leave on an island. That will open up so many more options for our D. 

Schwartz's system makes good CBs look average.  The Eagles wouldn't only have to upgrade CB, they would have to get a couple of LBs, too.  I can't see them making a trade for 3 quality players when they have to get younger.  Plus, I think there is a greater chance that the asteroid hits Earth in January vs. Howie trading for quality LBs.

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I agree with you and this part makes it more puzzling why the Eagles invested in a gadget player in the 2nd round over anyone who could have assisted in protecting and helping Wentz. 

Also, they drafted a project LB in Round 3 that most people felt would need at least a couple of years to develop. So, two out of our first 3 picks were projects. Howie acted like we were SB Champions in that draft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I could foresee a lot more TDs going to TEs over Gerry’s head. 

Just now, CaliEagle said:

Also, they drafted a project LB in Round 3 that most people felt would need at least a couple of years to develop. So, two out of our first 3 picks were projects. Howie acted like we were SB Champions in that draft.

It’s the types of moves one makes when he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the league. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

It’s the types of moves one makes when he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the league. 

Howie has a massive ego. He feels he has to be the smartest guy in the room.

• Like 1

Just now, What The F said:

Ertz and a 4th for Gilmore and a 2nd. Do eeeeeeet

I believe that Ertz going on IR killed any chance to trade him. That’s what I keep hearing at least. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I believe that Ertz going on IR killed any chance to trade him. That’s what I keep hearing at least. 

Never mind. Just found it myself. IR with MINOR injury status cannot be traded. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I could foresee a lot more TDs going to TEs over Gerry’s head. 

That's when you put a S on a TE.

14 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

That's when you put a S on a TE.

Sorry, but between the 5 yard cushions, and the crappy linebacker play I’m doubting it will make much of a difference. Besides the Slot corners have been getting owned all year too.

41 minutes ago, What The F said:

Never mind. Just found it myself. IR with MINOR injury status cannot be traded. 

Well when he’s healthy that’s one more weapon for Wentz. I guess them move him in the off-season. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Gilmore is a 30 year old corner and at this point moving to get him is about 4 years too late. Frankly there was a time when the Eagles were the team that dumped older talent before it was too late. Now it seems we want to collect them. 

Was reading something today about DP press conference where he basically said if the vets are ready and healthy then they'll play.  Think it was in reference to Jason Peters.  

We all know Mailata should stay at LT but the Eagles are loyal to their old, aging, declining vets for some reason.

3 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Anyone in the playoffs is a contender. Just gotta get there.

Technically yes.  But it's usually one of the top 2 or 3 from each conference that make the SB.

• Like 1

No thanks. Say we traded Ertz... That's one older guy who wants a big contract for another older guy who will want a new contract. Just different positions. 

Gilmore is an elite player no doubt but this team needs to get younger. 

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Without knowing his contract situation, I was thinking if he could be had for pennies on the dollar, it would be a good investment for the next couple of years.  Admittedly I did not know he was 30 but still, if he can pair with a similarly aged Slay for 2-3 years to hold down the position while we (hopefully) start grooming some young players, then depending on the price, it could be worth it.  Gilmore is leagues better than anyone else not named Slay on this roster.  

Corners that have played fullish seasons at a good starter level beyond 31 are basically Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson and Johnathan Joseph. Revis retired at 32, Rodgers-Cromartie's last pick was age 30, Asomugha joined us at 29 and retired at 32, Talib's body started failing at 30, Asante Samuel last multiple interception season was at 31, Richard Sherman has managed one game so far this year at 32

Rather than shoring up the position for a couple of years we'd be making the same mistake of paying top dollar contract for someone who is likely going to the treatment table or playing at Avonte Maddox level within a year.

• Like 3