Could We Be Targeting NE CB Stephon Gilmore?

time2rock

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Corners that have played fullish seasons at a good starter level beyond 31 are basically Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson and Johnathan Joseph. Revis retired at 32, Rodgers-Cromartie's last pick was age 30, Asomugha joined us at 29 and retired at 32, Talib's body started failing at 30, Asante Samuel last multiple interception season was at 31, Richard Sherman has managed one game so far this year at 32

Rather than shoring up the position for a couple of years we'd be making the same mistake of paying top dollar contract for someone who is likely going to the treatment table or playing at Avonte Maddox level within a year.

100 % agree!

We need to use a high pick on a quality outside corner in the next draft IMO.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Gilmore is a 30 year old corner and at this point moving to get him is about 4 years too late. Frankly there was a time when the Eagles were the team that dumped older talent before it was too late. Now it seems we want to collect them. 

I honestly did not realize he was that old.  How the hell did we get here that fast that he is now 30?!?!  Dear Lord time sure flies.  

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Corners that have played fullish seasons at a good starter level beyond 31 are basically Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson and Johnathan Joseph. Revis retired at 32, Rodgers-Cromartie's last pick was age 30, Asomugha joined us at 29 and retired at 32, Talib's body started failing at 30, Asante Samuel last multiple interception season was at 31, Richard Sherman has managed one game so far this year at 32

Rather than shoring up the position for a couple of years we'd be making the same mistake of paying top dollar contract for someone who is likely going to the treatment table or playing at Avonte Maddox level within a year.

Troy Vincent made 5 straight Pro Bowls from age 29-33. Eric Allen played well until retirement at 36. Darrell Green played until 42 years old, was a productive starter through 39, and played his last 2 Pro Bowls at 36 and 37 years old. 

Personally, I believe the ages 28-32 are a player's physical prime. One thing that has changed drastically over the years is the money. I think it has affected the mental aspect of players today. When they get into their 30s, they realize they can walk away at any time if they no longer love the game. 

I do not believe the Eagles are in the hunt for Gilmore, though. They just can't afford it. It's that simple. They need a younger player to step up and become a solid starter.

12 hours ago, Portyansky said:

But can you imagine having 2 corners you can leave on an island. That will open up so many more options for our D. 

That would help Swartz' scheme for sure. I think (hope) Schwartz' scheme along with Schwartz himself is well along the way to the door marked "exit".

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

I honestly did not realize he was that old.  How the hell did we get here that fast that he is now 30?!?!  Dear Lord time sure flies.  

He and Alshon went to college together remember? They kept talking about it during the Super Bowl. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He and Alshon went to college together remember? They kept talking about it during the Super Bowl. 

No I didn’t remember that.  Getting old is a real ****. 

• Like 1

Gilmore did not travel to buffalo with the Patriots.  

Its happening!!!

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, What The F said:

Its happening!!!

It was reported earlier he is dealing with some injury, so guessing he isn’t playing.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/31/patriots-rule-out-stephon-gilmore/

I get the arguments against having interest in him (age, salary cap, etc) but the thought of him being paired with Slay for 2-3 years while we hopefully add and groom some young blood behind them is enticing.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It was reported earlier he is dealing with some injury, so guessing he isn’t playing.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/31/patriots-rule-out-stephon-gilmore/

I get the arguments against having interest in him (age, salary cap, etc) but the thought of him being paired with Slay for 2-3 years while we hopefully add and groom some young blood behind them is enticing.  

It does seem like a counter-intuitive move based on the trajectory of this team, but let's not forget how many former Jim Schwartz defensive players the Eagles have brought over here from the Bills and Lions since he joined the Eagles (Darius Slay, Leodis McKelvin, Ron Brooks, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Nigel Bradham).

While the window of great CB play might not be longer just than 2 or 3 years with the Slay and Gilmore combo, the hope would be to use some draft capital in the meantime to bring in guys that can be groomed into starters behind these two, over the next few years, if this is indeed the strategy.

Avonte Maddox is good for what he is, a solid backup that can fill in a pinch at CB or S, but he is not a full-time CB2, like the Eagles are making him here. I would have rather the team keep at least one of Douglas or Jones to compete for the CB2 spot. Douglas has the size to deal with the bigger WRs, but just needs to have safety help when dealing with faster WRs. Jones didn't live up to his draft hype, but showed promise near the end of his time in Philly. Now they just have a true CB1 in Slay and a bunch of nickel CBs, one of which they are trying to make a CB2.

Given how poorly this team manages draft choices, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to use 2021 draft capital on Gilmore. I'd rather them use their 2nd round pick on Gilmore instead of botching it on another Jalen Hurts or JJAW type head-scratcher pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Its happening!!!

Was he spotted at the Philly Airport?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Exactly. Would be nice if our CBs had someone to look up to. As well as our young WRs going up against them in practice. As well as our QBs. It's really a win win. I think it's wishful thinking, but I am not against it.

• Like 2

We aren’t a contender we need young talent 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

We aren’t a contender we need young talent 

Ding ding ding. Close it up. 

Couldn't agree more bud. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ding ding ding. Close it up. 

Couldn't agree more bud. 

I also agree we need young talent more than anything, but I'll close it after the trade deadline passes.  Until then, it is a viable possibility, whether or not your expectations align with such a move. ;)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I also agree we need young talent more than anything, but I'll close it after the trade deadline passes.  Until then, it is a viable possibility, whether or not your expectations align with such a move. ;)

Oh I know bud. I just meant the debate really is over at this point. But with Howie I agree there's always a chance. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I know bud. I just meant the debate really is over at this point. But with Howie I agree there's always a chance. 

I know some are using the Schwartz connection as an argument to potentially consider adding him, but with Schwartz in the final year of his contract, if they do not plan to bring him back, then it wouldn't make sense (unless they just feel he'd be a good piece here regardless of who is coordinating the defense).  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, time2rock said:

There appears to be rumors that NE is willing to shop CB Stephon Gilmore.  There are further  (rumors?) (speculation?) that we may be interested in swinging a deal for him by the trade deadline.  

https://heavy.com/sports/patriots-stephon-gilmore-trade-rumors-eagles/

Ertz for Gilmore ... what say you?  Imagine Gilmore and Slay together.  :o

Schwartz would just play him 10 yards off anyway .

4 hours ago, eaglestime34 said:

Schwartz would just play him 10 yards off anyway .

I know that's the running joke here, but let's not forget we didn't have much at CB before trading for Slay.

If the Eagles brought in Gilmore, I think Schwartz would be more than happy to employ more man coverage with two shut down CBs in the secondary.

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

I know some are using the Schwartz connection as an argument to potentially consider adding him, but with Schwartz in the final year of his contract, if they do not plan to bring him back, then it wouldn't make sense (unless they just feel he'd be a good piece here regardless of who is coordinating the defense).  

I can understand the argument but I don't see it. Unless Schwartz is coming back but I very much doubt that's happening. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I know that's the running joke here, but let's not forget we didn't have much at CB before trading for Slay.

If the Eagles brought in Gilmore, I think Schwartz would be more than happy to employ more man coverage with two shut down CBs in the secondary.

Until I see it I won't believe it.  Jim Schwartz sucks. 

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

I think they need linebacker and offensive line help more than corner, but I’m not expecting a big name trade regardless.

32 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think they need linebacker and offensive line help more than corner, but I’m not expecting a big name trade regardless.

With Howie you just never know what to expect.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

With Howie you just never know what to expect.  

It would be such a Howie thing to do a trade like this.