It's not even a thought with Pederson

GeorgeM37

Not sure how many of you read yahoo articles but I wanted to see what was said about the game today. I came across at least three articles that say at this point, might as well start Hurts. Pederson is not considering it, was never considering it and says that it would send the wrong message to the team that the season is lost. I know he is supposed to say certain things to the media but it just seems to me like they just do not want to admit to getting it wrong with wentz. They F'd up with paying him so much money so early and its blowing up in their faces in a major way and everybody sees it. 

I know alot of the people on this board are not on board for starting Hurts but how do any of us know he won't be better?? How will we really know unless he is given a chance?? Check all resources and you will see that there have been a good amount of 2nd round picks that have turned out to be legitimate starters but I really believe this FO just do not want to admit to getting it wrong in the worst possible way. At this point, its truly mind boggling....

I hate to bring this up yet again but McNabb was benched for poor play and look how that turned out.....

Time's yours....

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm not against seeing Hurts at this point, though I do feel we're entering a bad stretch to do it in. I think mentioning McNabb isn't the best comparison though only because he was benched for a half, then immediately re-inserted as the started 4 days later Thanksgiving night, and he never lost the job due to performance until he was traded a year and a half later.

• Like 1

I think pederson doesn't want to play Hurts because if hurts sucks as bad as Wentz then it's not the qbs it's Doug's offense that sucks.

I don't think Wentz  is the problem I think doug and his offense and his play calling is the bigger problem

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

I think pederson doesn't want to play Hurts because if hurts sucks as bad as Wentz then it's not the qbs it's Doug's offense that sucks.

I don't think Wentz  is the problem I think doug and his offense and his play calling is the bigger problem

Wentz is definitely a part of the problem. I think there's no getting around that.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Wentz is definitely a part of the problem. I think there's no getting around that.

He is under doug. Baker mayfield isn't a great wb but the OC uses his strengths to his advantage. Baker is pretty athletic and can make some throws outside the pocket so the OC calls a ton of roll outs and baker looks more comfortable in the move.

Conversely Wentz has a higher passer rating outside the pocket yet how many times did Doug roll Wentz out today!

Once and Wentz completed the pass, fulgham only catch.

It's Doug's job to out his players and his qb in position to make plays and be successful and doug doesn't do that. His plays are predictable and boring and getting Wentz killed.

Having said that Wentz could still be better

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

He is under doug. Baker mayfield isn't a great wb but the OC uses his strengths to his advantage. Baker is pretty athletic and can make some throws outside the pocket so the OC calls a ton of roll outs and baker looks more comfortable in the move.

Conversely Wentz has a higher passer rating outside the pocket yet how many times did Doug roll Wentz out today!

Once and Wentz completed the pass, fulgham only catch.

It's Doug's job to out his players and his qb in position to make plays and be successful and doug doesn't do that. His plays are predictable and boring and getting Wentz killed.

Having said that Wentz could still be better

That's my point though. It's not to absolve anyone, but point out that blame goes all around. Even beyond Doug and Wentz.

• Like 3

The league is turning into a scrambling QB league. And the QB that can scramble and be accurate is deadly... Mahomes and Wilson come to mind. Not gonna mention Lamar bc he is not accurate. Just a RB playing QB. I say give Hurts a shot. 

They are a franchise in denial. They aren't making the playoffs. Even IF they did they aren't winning anything. They need to find out if Hurts can play because otherwise they should be using an early pick on a QB in 2021. Doug Pederson would rather double down on failure since he is delusional. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

I agree with this 100% and was saying this after the game today. Wentz is struggling right now, he’s forcing things instead of letting the game come to him. But dougs offense has these receivers running crazy routes and that offensive line isn’t built for it. Not to mention we got average receivers with a couple exceptions running these routes. It all adds up to bad football and these coaches are not adjusting 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

Wentz can't even complete easy passes to his wide receivers for the majority of the time.  He can't process what's in front of him and I'm not sure this offense can be dumbed for him because really...what are his strengths at this point?  You can only roll him out of the pocket so many times until a linebacker cleans his clock, and we don't have the running back stable that Cleveland has.

Hurts can't start because didn't have an offseason and it simply wouldn't be fair to play under those conditions on a primetime, Monday Night Football against the Seahawks.  If you want to bench Wentz, wait until the following game.  

The only thing seriously wrong with Wentz. Wentz is shell  shocked 

Get an NFL set of OL, and receivers and the winning will return.

I am she’ll shocked just thinking of 40 sacks so far.

• Like 1

Hurts will play if Wentz gets hurt or the season is lost.  Can’t damage Wentz’s trade value.  We may have to trade him if this continues.

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

I think Wentz is part of the problem. You can see some of the stuff that’s just easy plays that he’s screwing up.

However I do think part of your assessment is right. I do believe if Jalen hurts goes out there and looks God awful in the offense that doug is going to be in a lot of trouble. Because it would show that it’s not just Carson Wentz that really doug is the main factor because it’s two different quarterbacks and they have both failed.  

Not only that if the offense stays the same and they don’t tailor it to what hurts does well then it tells me he’s is not creative enough to mold the offense to the personnel he has. At that point then you have major problems. Look around the league the Buffalo Bills molded that offense to fit what Josh Allen does well. The Arizona Cardinals use what Kyler Murray does well at his strengths such as mobility to move that offense. Even the Rams molded the offense to what Jared Goff strengths were. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Miami said:

Hurts will play if Wentz gets hurt or the season is lost.  Can’t damage Wentz’s trade value.  We may have to trade him if this continues.

Good luck trading him. He has a $59 million dead money hit if you trade him next year. It’s not much better in 2022 as it is $25 million in dead money. You are basically stuck with wentz on this roster till at least the end of 2021

When he says he never actually thinks about it, that makes perfect sense. Why? Because stupid people never actually think.

• Haha 1

I don't care what anyone says. We didn't get it wrong with Wentz. The guy has the potential to be a high caliber quarterback. If anything we haven't kept anyone guessing since Frank Reich left. Nothing against Doug, but I think FR was the difference maker. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Anyone without green colored glasses on  who follows the NFL knows wentz is the biggest issue this team has right now. Every  week his play confirms it and his attitude and leadership arent helping matters either.   Us eagle fans are the only ones still reaching for other excuses

Doug is going to lose his job imo because of the regression of wentz and his inability to get the franchise qb back on track in any way 

• Like 4

Just looking at the faces of the coaches in today's game told the story.

Stepansky radiated energy and sharpness, prowling the sideline like a hungry panther.

Doug looked like a kid who just crapped his pants in the classroom and was wondering how he could make it out of the room without leaving a telltale trail on the floor.
He's in way over his head and he's not going to figure it out.

• Like 1

To say it sends the wrong message is just a poor sidestep. It's a weak answer to a legit and fair question. 

Carson sucks. He's sucked all year and there have been signs of this is previous years. 

This offense needs a boost. And yet it would apparently send the wrong message? The wrong message is that Carson is allowed to continue to be the worst QB in the NFL and that's OK. The message is that poor play is not punished. And the message is that this organisation will not move on from Carson because of his contract. But in not moving on from him this team are effectively ending their season now. 

• Like 4

The offensive scheme and skill position roster are issues, but anyone claiming that Wentz is not a huge part of it at this point is kidding themselves, his accuracy is shot, his pocket awareness has declined to the point that he's a danger to himself, he isn't seeing the field at all he routinely misses wide open guys as he tries to force it to someone who's covered. Even the throws he does make are often caught by receivers above their head, when there's no need for the ball to be that high. 

Yesterday he threw 2 picks and it could've been 5, the standing in the backfield just clutching the ball forever is as much responsible for our sacks given up as poor O Line play, he had long enough to get rid of the ball to avoid the safety Yesterday he just wouldn't do it, there were other sacks in vital spots where a good vet QB just doesn't hold the ball that long, not in any circumstances.

So yeah the offense is vanilla in the extreme, the roster is shot, but Wentz has had three years since the Superbowl and the trend has been downward, I struggle to believe he has it in him at this point to live up to his contract and the band of people who used to defend him week in week out in the press is dwindling by the week too, which is a sure sign that the game is almost up. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The offensive scheme and skill position roster are issues, but anyone claiming that Wentz is not a huge part of it at this point is kidding themselves, his accuracy is shot, his pocket awareness has declined to the point that he's a danger to himself, he isn't seeing the field at all he routinely misses wide open guys as he tries to force it to someone who's covered. Even the throws he does make are often caught by receivers above their head, when there's no need for the ball to be that high. 

Anyone saying that Carson is not a huge part is just trying to make excuses for Wentz. 

There are many issues with this offense but I'm sorry the biggest is Wentz. Competent play at QB would have this offense playing better there's no doubt. 

The scheme is an issue for sure. It's dull and it's unimaginative. The game planning is an issue where we don't seem to attack the opponents weaknesses. And the play calling is a problem because it is at times head scratching. 

But all of those things improve if the QB is not the worst in the NFL. Carson can't process plays anymore, he misses wide open guys and holds the ball too long. His mechanics are awful which means his accuracy is terrible. He tries to play hero ball but doesn't have the ability to pull it off and his decision making is truly the worst. He throws in to double coverage. He misses wide open guys and he can't lead WRs to throw them open.

• Like 3

The only reason to start Hurts is to evaluate to see what he's got. If the Eagles are going to compete for anything this year, it's with Wentz at QB.

I don't see how benching Wentz helps anything. Yes, Wentz is playing bad. He's lost confidence, he's indecisive, he's trying to do too much, and it leads to too many mistakes. Benching Wentz isn't going to help his blocking, isn't going to help his playmakers, and isn't going to help DP call better plays. Wentz might get a better angle to evaluate his own play on the bench... But if he goes back into the game, the same problems on offense are still there. I'm afraid he'll go right back to making the same mistakes.

But if Wentz throws out another dud on Monday night and the Eagles lose to go 3-7-1... Who are they fooling anymore? That's not a team that's going to win anything. Might as well give Wentz a rest and throw Hurts out to the wolves. 

6 minutes ago, toolg said:

The only reason to start Hurts is to evaluate to see what he's got. If the Eagles are going to compete for anything this year, it's with Wentz at QB.

I don't see how benching Wentz helps anything. Yes, Wentz is playing bad. He's lost confidence, he's indecisive, he's trying to do too much, and it leads to too many mistakes. Benching Wentz isn't going to help his blocking, isn't going to help his playmakers, and isn't going to help DP call better plays. Wentz might get a better angle to evaluate his own play on the bench... But if he goes back into the game, the same problems on offense are still there. I'm afraid he'll go right back to making the same mistakes.

But if Wentz throws out another dud on Monday night and the Eagles lose to go 3-7-1... Who are they fooling anymore? That's not a team that's going to win anything. Might as well give Wentz a rest and throw Hurts out to the wolves. 

Wait, what?? You say you dont see how benching Wentz helps anything and then you end with, who are they fooling anymore? You honestly believe he is somehow going to turn it around? You dont think that after 10 games this season he is suddenly going to catch fire on Monday Night?

Which is it?

Like I said in the Wentz thread, bench him and start Hurts but don't change the offense or play calling either. Then you will know if it's the QB or the offense/play calling. Carson has been horrible this season but that can be said for the majority of the team in all 3 phases. IMO it's a coaching issue more then anything.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Wait, what?? You say you dont see how benching Wentz helps anything and then you end with, who are they fooling anymore? You honestly believe he is somehow going to turn it around? You dont think that after 10 games this season he is suddenly going to catch fire on Monday Night?

Which is it?

The whole offense is bad, from players to coaching. Yes Wentz is bad too... But going without Wentz, all of the other problems are still there. Are the Eagles still trying to win, to limp whatever is left of this team into the playoffs? Then benching Wentz solves nothing. Or do they give up and start evaluating players for next year and beyond? Then start Hurts for the rest of the season.

McNabb was benched at halftime, he came back on fire. It worked because the team was good, McNabb just needed to wake-up. This team isn't playing good, they're dysfunctional from coaching to players. Bench Wentz for one game, he comes back to the same problems, he goes back to making the same mistakes. It won't make the Eagles any better to bench Wentz, to start the rookie Hurts.

What I'm saying is: Once they clinch a losing record and are out of contention, pack it all in and evaluate next year. Until then, try to compete(?).

• Like 1