I only blame Doug for 1 thing...

Portyansky

... not benching Wentz. Yes, DP is aggressive at times with 4th downs and 2pt conv, but DP is mostly making the right calls. Wentz is missing the easy plays. Its simple. I watched every throw Wentz attempted. It's truly amazing how many easy passes he is not attempting. He truly doesn't understand take what the D is giving you. Its mind boggling. I didnt realize how bad it really was till I watched it.

That safety he took v Cle is what triggered my curiosity. I remember seeing it in other games, but didn't realize how bad it really was. 

Wentz is making DP look bad. And im guessing here, but DP being a QB probably thinks Wentz needs to play through it.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

... not benching Wentz. Yes, DP is aggressive at times with 4th downs and 2pt conv, but DP is mostly making the right calls. Wentz is missing the easy plays. Its simple. I watched every throw Wentz attempted. It's truly amazing how many easy passes he is not attempting. He truly doesn't understand take what the D is giving you. Its mind boggling. I didnt realize how bad it really was till I watched it.

That safety he took v Cle is what triggered my curiosity. I remember seeing it in other games, but didn't realize how bad it really was. 

Wentz is making DP look bad. And im guessing here, but DP being a QB probably thinks Wentz needs to play through it.

That was ABSOLUTELY a sack and safety that dude did NOT have to take. He is not doing the basics....the fundamentals....I have said in another thread I do not remember, in all my years of watching professional football, seeing a QB regress and go backwards as I have seen wentz do this year. It is excruciating and very painful to watch. What's worse is him acting like nothing at all is wrong here....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

That was ABSOLUTELY a sack and safety that dude did NOT have to take. He is not doing the basics....the fundamentals....I have said in another thread I do not remember, in all my years of watching professional football, seeing a QB regress and go backwards as I have seen wentz do this year. It is excruciating and very painful to watch. What's worse is him acting like nothing at all is wrong here....

It's kinda like a child that keeps doing something wrong and never gets grounded for it.

My 12yo keeps asking why hasn't Wentz been benched yet? I told him, you know how I used to get beaten when I did something wrong as a kid, and now we just talk to you guys. Well beaten = benched and talking = playing through it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Portyansky said:

It's kinda like a child that keeps doing something wrong and never gets grounded for it.

My 12yo keeps asking why hasn't Wentz been benched yet? I told him, you know how I used to get beaten when I did something wrong as a kid, and now we just talk to you guys. Well beaten = benched and talking = playing through it.

That is actually a very good analogy. The "laws" of this land has made it so that you can get in trouble for disciplining your own child so now all they do is "talk" to them....no real discipline....

That is very telling that your 12 yo is asking that same question that we adults are.....

1 minute ago, GeorgeM37 said:

That is actually a very good analogy. The "laws" of this land has made it so that you can get in trouble for disciplining your own child so now all they do is "talk" to them....no real discipline....

That is very telling that your 12 yo is asking that same question that we adults are.....

That's bc I beat him while talking to him. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The way I see it, once a coach makes a decision to bench a franchise QB, there is no recovery for things to work out for the team and that player. Maybe some of you can remind me of an example I'm missing here where that action proved to help the dynamic between the benched QB and the team moving forward. A coach will usually stick with his guy as long as he can, but once the move is made, that move will always be on the table each week moving forward. Players will begin to take sides and the only way to fix that is to move one of the "options."

Let me be clear ... I am in no way defending Wentz' mistakes this season. I do think he has a long, productive career ahead of him in the NFL. I'm only saying that once you choose to bench him here, his days here are numbered. It won't make him a better QB for us. It just means we are forcing the decision to move on. 

Would I bench him? No. Personally, once the 2020 season is over, I'm willing to burn the memories. 

• Like 1

How do we get Doug benched? Id bench him and his practice habits and game planning before Id bench Wentz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Br3 said:

I’ve seen at least 3 qbs get benched this year for waaaaaaaayyyyy less

How many of those take as much money as Wentz?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

What about Peters?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

How many of those take as much money as Wentz?

Who cares, the kid sucks and needs to be held accountable. Idc if he’s making $1 or 100M

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I was listening to FOX sports radio and they were talking about the Bruce Arians and Brady relationship and how Brady likes the safe and underneath stuff while Arians likes to air it out and go deep quite often.  

Seems to me that both Doug and Carson would benefit from a split.  Dont understand how Lurie cant see that.  Wentz sounds like just what Arians wants in a QB, a gunslinger, throw it deep down the field.  

That's what Wentz is.  He's not gonna be like Foles or Brady and dink and dunk, take what the defense gives you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

I was listening to FOX sports radio and they were talking about the Bruce Arians and Brady relationship and how Brady likes the safe and underneath stuff while Arians likes to air it out and go deep quite often.  

Seems to me that both Doug and Carson would benefit from a split.  Dont understand how Lurie cant see that.  Wentz sounds like just what Arians wants in a QB, a gunslinger, throw it deep down the field.  

That's what Wentz is.  He's not gonna be like Foles or Brady and dink and dunk, take what the defense gives you.  

Ok, new coaching staff it is then. :)

3 minutes ago, Br3 said:

Who cares, the kid sucks and needs to be held accountable. Idc if he’s making $1 or 100M

That's the thing....if those other QBs are making $100 million then they most likely wouldn't be benched either.  That's just the way it works.

I'm all for benching Wentz.  Not that I feel the offensive struggles are 100% on him because they aren't.  But I just want to see if there is any difference with another QB in there, whether it be Sudfeld or Hurts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Ok, new coaching staff it is then. 🙂

That's probably what will happen.  They wont move on from Wentz this year.

Unless Lurie blames the poor season on Covid and decides to bring everyone back...😞

Well I agree that's probably the #1 thing, but I certainly blame him for more than that.  I'm fine with the gambling on 4th down and 2 point conversions.  But I also blame him for the stale predictable offense, crappy playcalling, and half-assed commitment to running the ball. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

The way I see it, once a coach makes a decision to bench a franchise QB, there is no recovery for things to work out for the team and that player. Maybe some of you can remind me of an example I'm missing here where that action proved to help the dynamic between the benched QB and the team moving forward. A coach will usually stick with his guy as long as he can, but once the move is made, that move will always be on the table each week moving forward. Players will begin to take sides and the only way to fix that is to move one of the "options."

Let me be clear ... I am in no way defending Wentz' mistakes this season. I do think he has a long, productive career ahead of him in the NFL. I'm only saying that once you choose to bench him here, his days here are numbered. It won't make him a better QB for us. It just means we are forcing the decision to move on. 

Would I bench him? No. Personally, once the 2020 season is over, I'm willing to burn the memories. 

Worked for Miami and Tua for a couple of weeks, and now after the NFL figured Tua out, they're back to Fitz. Don't know how or if this move damaged the locker room vibe but they got a couple of wins and probably saved the coache's job.

Doug seems to be making himself a martyr here for no reason.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madriver said:

Worked for Miami and Tua for a couple of weeks, and now after the NFL figured Tua out, they're back to Fitz. Don't know how or if this move damaged the locker room vibe but they got a couple of wins and probably saved the coache's job.

Doug seems to be making himself a martyr here for no reason.

That's a pretty different scenario. Fitzpatrick isn't a franchise QB and Tua is the future, but has a long way to go. Even if it was the same, I'm looking for long-term examples where it paid off to bench a franchise QB (i.e. the franchise QB responded and led that team to greatness).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

That's a pretty different scenario. Fitzpatrick isn't a franchise QB and Tua is the future, but has a long way to go. Even if it was the same, I'm looking for long-term examples where it paid off to bench a franchise QB (i.e. the franchise QB responded and led that team to greatness).

Depends on what you mean the benching was for. Performance? Health? The only one that vaguely comes close was the benching of Steve Young in the game in which we pounded them 40-8, but that was because he was getting physically mauled by our defense. He complained bitterly about being pulled but they went on the win a SB that year. Maybe his anger at being benched motivated him to improve and the team responded?

I like doug as our coach and I dont think there are a lot of alternate options out there who can make happen what he can. The team likes him, the team responds to him, and has absolutely can prepare a team for a tough matchup

Having said that, he’s treating Wentz like his own legacy is determined by if Wentz fails or not. Bench wentz, get rid of Schwartz, and then let’s see what we got

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Mcnabb 2008? We went to the NFCCG and he was playing much better. Or do you mean more long term than that

38 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

That's probably what will happen.  They wont move on from Wentz this year.

Unless Lurie blames the poor season on Covid and decides to bring everyone back...😞

I think if they were going to bring Schwartz back they'd have extended him before this. Other than that, you're probably about right although maybe they'll rethink the "offensive brain trust" which seems pretty offensive to me.