The 2021 Draft

Philthy Jawn

9 minutes ago, nipples said:

QB. Unless Hurts starts the rest of the season and looks like a stud. 

No Fing chance

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

I like Smith a lot. He's second behind Chase for me.

Chase

Smith

Waddle 

Marshall JR

2 Bama 2 LSU lol

Great lol look for Howie to take a nobody from the pac 12

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nipples said:

QB. Unless Hurts starts the rest of the season and looks like a stud. 

This might be a very special year for QBs. Trevor Lawrence we won't get but I'd be very happy if we grabbed Mac Jones or Kyle Trask.

There are other QBs coming out in rhe next few years who look very promising but we might not have the low draft pick we're heading towards this year. 

They just wasted 3 picks on WR. I'd prefer they get Sewell to lock in youth at the LT position. Surtain to play outside because other than Slay, the other outside corners are rubbish. They'll also need a ton of Dline help after Howie cuts everyone to get back in manageable cap range. There is a definite need at WR cause Howie sucks at drafting, but at this point there are going to be so many holes to fill, that I think they have to try to develop the young WRs they have and hope they turn a corner. 

Drafting for ''need'' in any draft is a bad idea. Doing so when you have a top 10 pick is even worse. They need to get an all pro player at any position. They have ''needs'' at several positions anyway, LB, DE, OL, CB, S, WR, and potentially even QB.

39 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I like Smith a lot. He's second behind Chase for me.

Chase

Smith

Waddle 

Marshall JR

2 Bama 2 LSU lol

Yes, he is the correct choice.

52 minutes ago, weko said:

WR is the #1 bust position in the 1st round.  You don't draft them there.  Good drafting teams like the Steelers get them in the 2nd, 3rd and sometimes later.  There are plenty of WRs coming out of college every year.  Kids realize that RBs don't get paid and have short careers, so the best players in the country no longer want to run the ball.  They play WR.  The Steelers took the kid from Notre Dame in the 2nd.  He's going to be in the pro bowl as a rookie.  They get AB in the 5th or 6th, then traded him for a 3 & 5 and took Johnson from Toledo in the 3rd,  Everyone thought it early but of course the Steelers were right.  They are the best drafting team in the modern era.  Have gotten numerous other excellent WRs, but they do not draft them in the 1st round.  That round is for your 5 premium positions.  1) QB, 2) LT then RT, 3/4) DE/CB, 5) DT.  You look first at those 5 position in rounds 1 & 2. 

KC is not far behind- they drafted Mahomes, Hill & Kelce among others. In fact, the GM (Dorsey) who drafted them is available. Lurie should be jumping all over him. How many Pro-Bowlers does Howie have to show for? 

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

KC is not far behind- they drafted Mahomes, Hill & Kelce among others. In fact, the GM (Dorsey) who drafted them is available. Lurie should be jumping all over him. How many Pro-Bowlers does Howie have to show for? 

The broadcast mentioned that Wentz is the only pro bowler drafted since 2013 and that kid is currently the worst starter in football right now

2 hours ago, Br3 said:

The broadcast mentioned that Wentz is the only pro bowler drafted since 2013 and that kid is currently the worst starter in football right now

And yet people defend Howie and his draft. That defense of Howie is beyond ridiculous. 

Another WR would be from the Matt Millen school of roster building,

How much did Cee Dee Lamb help Dallas this year?  None, because their OL and QB situations are a mess.

Until OL is stabilized, nothing else really matters. Our best OL are all over 30 and those younger aren't all that impressive.

I would consider trading back a bit and addressing the trenches. Can only hope Howie is not involved.

• Like 2

We really need to hit the draft this year like the colts did a couple of years back. Nelson and Leonard in back to back picks..... I can dream...

8 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Drafting for ''need'' in any draft is a bad idea. Doing so when you have a top 10 pick is even worse. They need to get an all pro player at any position. They have ''needs'' at several positions anyway, LB, DE, OL, CB, S, WR, and potentially even QB.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you.  But if we don't get Wentz some help on the outside, he could be toast next year as well.  It doesn't look like Reagor is going to cut it.  The announcers were ripping him all night for not being able to get separation.

8 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

This might be a very special year for QBs. Trevor Lawrence we won't get but I'd be very happy if we grabbed Mac Jones or Kyle Trask.

There are other QBs coming out in rhe next few years who look very promising but we might not have the low draft pick we're heading towards this year. 

I think it would be pointless to draft another qb before rebuilding the o-line.

1st round targets should be Chase in 2021 and Stingley Jr. in 2022. The middle rounds can provide the IOL they need.

WR is not the teams top priority. Protecting the most sacked qb in the NFL is. 

11 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Unless you're drafting a tackle, you don't take an O-lineman with a top-5 pick unless he is truly a generational player.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

The line isn’t good, but a HUGE number of those sacks are 100% on Wentz. I know before this game he had taken 33 sacks that occurred after holding the ball for 4+ seconds. That’s ridiculous. Not sure how many last night were after that long, but that’s a horrible stat and that falls on Wentz. 

10 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Yes, he is the correct choice.

I'd go Chase or Surtain

Mialata has played really well and has secured the LT spot imo. Brooks and Dillard will be back next season. Driscoll has been a pleasant surprise. The whole handling of Lane's injury was a complete disaster. If they go Oline, getting Kelce replacement should be a target.

It's really impossible to say they need to take a certain position in any round.  So many factors in how the draft falls.  Focusing only on one position causes a reach.  In the 1st round you're looking for who is the best impact player to come in and be a stud for you.  You go BPA - within reason, at a position of need.  

Example in 2013 it was considered a weak class but the top picks were going to include 3 Offensive Tackles.  It was believed the Eagles would take whichever OT fell to them because they were all top prospects, and they would have taken Dion Jordan at DE if he fell.  The decision was going to be easy, just take whoever fell.  And they needed O line.  Now, if all 3 OTs were gone, they would not take the next OT available because he wouldn't have been worth a #4 overall pick.  You don't just take a position just because you need it.  In that scenario, you get an OT later and take the best value, a player rated highly on your board.

A deep class at a position might mean you can do that.  Last year with WR as an example there were many good options at WR so they were ok to focus on WR in the 1st round.  

They go into every draft with certain need they'd like to address and you see how the draft falls and sometimes there are guys who slip and you didn't expect them to be there so you grab that DE or LB instead of a WR and get the WR later.

11 hours ago, wtfcares said:

At the same time we’ve also heard about a deep CB class where we took Jones, a deep RB class where we took Pumphrey. A deep WR class where we took Reagor. 

Maybe let’s stop waiting for what’s left of the deep class and get one of the top guys. 

Well, the apparent best WR of the 2020 class was still available when the Eagles picked 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, wtfcares said:

WR would be a huge mistake. We need a young playmaker on D or OL. Good WR can be had later in the draft. You don’t get a Bosa type player later in the draft. 

Yes. Julio Jones is nice, but he doesnt have the impact of a Khalil Mack. (I do like that Jamarr Chase tho 😉)

• Like 1