45 Passes ... 9 Runs

time2rock

5 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I'm not there yet, but who would you bring in to Replace Howie and Doug? I believe blowing it up is very risky. Look at Pittsburgh. They won a SB, then lost year after year, unitl they won a SB again with the same head coach. 

The Steelers are the best drafting team in the modern era.  We are perhaps the worst with the bean counter making the picks. We'd be better off each round throwing darts at a board of players grouped by ranking. Blowing it up is the only thing to do.  With the vet talent drain coming due to cap concerns and Howie's totally inept drafting, we are looking at perhaps being worse next year.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I'm not there yet, but who would you bring in to Replace Howie and Doug? I believe blowing it up is very risky. Look at Pittsburgh. They won a SB, then lost year after year, unitl they won a SB again with the same head coach. 

Louis Riddick's name has been thrown around as a potential GM. He could be a possible replacement.

I just want someone that has an eye for talent.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Doug really doesn't seem to care at this point. Yeah, let's just take Carson out for a play in the middle of a drive and put Hurts in. Oh he completed it? Time to take Hurts out and toss a struggling Wentz back in now that the play is over.

4th and 2 from the 50 when your offense has struggled to execute easy, routine plays all game and your defense has been playing great? Should we try to play a field position game or risk giving the Seahawks' high powered offense the ball at midfield and a ton of momentum? Eff it, dude, let's go for it.

4th and 4 late in the game and down 11. Should we kick the easy FG and make it a one possession game or, again, leave a struggling offense on the field? 

We used to have success on 4th and short because we had a great line and could execute short yardage plays at a very good ratio. We aren't that team anymore. We're an awful offense. There are no plays that we can run that give us a better than average chance of picking up these 4th and shorts. It's been that way all season. Why don't we recognize our weaknesses and get back to some basic football and stop giving the other team loads of momentum and great field position? 

I couldn't comprehend that decision. It was utter insanity.

I think you've hit on it -- Doug keeps coaching like he has the 2017 offense out there (line, weapons, Wentz). Being Mr. Aggressive works when your offense can execute. He can't/won't adapt to the reality of the team he has.

• Like 2

Marty Mornhinweg is a consultant Doug brought in, who loves to have a heavy pass attack.  We complained about this under Reid when Marty Ball was here, they would pass too much with a struggling QB and injured O line when the obvious answer is to run more and move the QB out of the pocket.  2 things Doug isn't doing to help Carson.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Marty Mornhinweg is a consultant Doug brought in, who loves to have a heavy pass attack.  We complained about this under Reid when Marty Ball was here, they would pass too much with a struggling QB and injured O line when the obvious answer is to run more and move the QB out of the pocket.  2 things Doug isn't doing to help Carson.

I was sooooo glad when we got rid of Marty the first time around and pretty disappointed to hear we were bringing him back this past offseason.  He needs to go (again).  In fact, this whole new structure to the offensive coaching staff needs to go.  Doug needs to hire an experienced OC and let him run the offense fully - Doug needs to focus on just being a HC (if he is to remain here) IMO.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I was sooooo glad when we got rid of Marty the first time around and pretty disappointed to hear we were bringing him back this past offseason.  He needs to go (again).  In fact, this whole new structure to the offensive coaching staff needs to go.  Doug needs to hire an experienced OC and let him run the offense fully - Doug needs to focus on just being a HC (if he is to remain here) IMO.  

Right, if they're not going to blow this thing up (fire Howie, Doug, rebuild the structure) then as a consolation prize they need to tell Doug he cannot call plays anymore and get an OC who will call the plays and a new QB coach that will strip things down and work on Carson's mechanics, footwork, decision making, hold him accountable and focus on doing the basics well again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Pass:run ratio for last night ... with a makeshift OL and a QB that has been struggling mightily (not to mention high winds).  I seriously don't know how Doug doesn't realize more balance is needed (84% passes to 16% runs is not going to win you many games).  

There's people that believe Doug is trying to get fired.

Not sure I believe that because he's always been more pass happy even prior to this season.  Honestly, I think he's just dumb and he's trying to get Wentz out of his slump by throwing constantly.

16 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

There's people that believe Doug is trying to get fired.

Not sure I believe that because he's always been more pass happy even prior to this season.  Honestly, I think he's just dumb and he's trying to get Wentz out of his slump by throwing constantly.

Agreed.  I think people give Doug too much credit thinking he is smart enough to come up with a strategy like that to get fired.  Like you said, I just think he is too stubborn to change from being a pass happy freak and is purposely trying to force Wentz out of his funk, stupidly thinking this is the best way to do it.

• Like 1

Doug is coaching poorly, but he does not want to be fired.  No one in the NFL purposely underperforms to get fired, how does that look for you trying to get another job?  That's absurd.

Doug has been in over his head since Reich left.  He's trying.  He cares.  He loves the game and loves the players, he doesn't want to lose.  He just isn't good as a play caller or in designing plays.  His strengths are being a player's coach and being aggressive...and those things aren't working anymore either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Doug is coaching poorly, but he does not want to be fired.  No one in the NFL purposely underperforms to get fired, how does that look for you trying to get another job?  That's absurd.

Doug has been in over his head since Reich left.  He's trying.  He cares.  He loves the game and loves the players, he doesn't want to lose.  He just isn't good as a play caller or in designing plays.  His strengths are being a player's coach and being aggressive...and those things aren't working anymore either.

Part of it seems to be that he took one of Andy's worst traits. Andy would be convinced that he should simply pass more and more because the most talented player on his offense was the QB (McNabb). So give McNabb the maximum number of chances to make something special happen. McNabb's in a slump -- pass more, let him throw his way out of it. We all saw what would happen when someone else came in (Feeley, Garcia). Reid would run and the balance would benefit the offense. Donovan came back, and it was pass happy again. 

We have seen similar things with Doug. When Nick came in, Doug really buckled down and studied what worked for Nick and tailored the offense and play calling to him. With Wentz he sees the talent and simply thinks Carson should run Doug's preferred offense better than anyone else. Doug's refusal to play to Carson's strengths by moving the pocket is infuriating because he played to Nick's. 

Reid has finally adapted. He really does have a super human QB now, and yet he will run the ball more if it is working. Doug is younger Andy, and Wentz is his McNabb. I wish this Andy Reid would have coached McNabb in his prime, and I think we need to start highlighting things Carson does well and finding balance before we waste another prime from a talented QB.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Part of it seems to be that he took one of Andy's worst traits. Andy would be convinced that he should simply pass more and more because the most talented player on his offense was the QB (McNabb). So give McNabb the maximum number of chances to make something special happen. McNabb's in a slump -- pass more, let him throw his way out of it. We all saw what would happen when someone else came in (Feeley, Garcia). Reid would run and the balance would benefit the offense. Donovan came back, and it was pass happy again. 

We have seen similar things with Doug. When Nick came in, Doug really buckled down and studied what worked for Nick and tailored the offense and play calling to him. With Wentz he sees the talent and simply thinks Carson should run Doug's preferred offense better than anyone else. Doug's refusal to play to Carson's strengths by moving the pocket is infuriating because he played to Nick's. 

Reid has finally adapted. He really does have a super human QB now, and yet he will run the ball more if it is working. Doug is younger Andy, and Wentz is his McNabb. I wish this Andy Reid would have coached McNabb in his prime, and I think we need to start highlighting things Carson does well and finding balance before we waste another prime from a talented QB.

Spot on.  Reid always adjusted for a backup.  Doug is still trying to reclaim the past Wentz who would make things happen.

4 hours ago, nipples said:

That’s a pretty stupid statement on Doug’s part. How can you say they shut down the run when your top RB, who happens to be your best offensive player, only got 6 carries the entire game? 

Seattle disrespected Eagles receivers and stacked the box most of the time. You have to take what the defense gives you..so DP called passes. But what surprised me the most is how many drops Eagles receivers did have. Seattle receivers were mostly catching the balls, and Eagles receivers ..like Sanders were dropping easy ones. Bad WR coaching/preparation. And yes DP should have called a lot more running plays to make the offense more functional.

Maybe there IS a reason that Duce is the Asst HC.....is the writing on the wall?

problem is that If the HC is a puppet, it will still spell the same problems

I'm not even mad at the pass run ratio.  We know Miles can run.  We need to get the WR's all the reps they can get and find out who belongs and who doesn't.  Unfortunately even with 100 pass attempts the WR's would have zero production this season.

2 hours ago, flyerdog said:

Maybe there IS a reason that Duce is the Asst HC.....is the writing on the wall?

problem is that If the HC is a puppet, it will still spell the same problems

Did you catch the statement from Duce, about a HC needs to focus on his job as a HC and not be trying to run the offense in addition to his HC duties?  So true.  At this point I’d rather have Duce as HC (assuming he’d hire an OC to run the offense).  

Sanders should get a minimum of 15 touches per game no matter how good the defense is run vs. pass.  Doug is clueless. You only give your most explosive player on offense only 6 carries. Doug doesn't have common sense. He said he would give up playcalling if he ever felt he was in a rut. What do you call this?  This isn't a rut. This is a grand canyon sized crater of bad offense.

You start the game at a first and 5.  You run three pass plays and three incompletions that take 13 secs of the clock.   Its just mindboggling to me.  Maybe he believes the only way to get Wentz out of his funk is to throw 50 times a game.  It just defies logic.   Maybe Lombardi was right about him.  He like Howie and Wentz caught lighting in a bottle in 2017.

1 minute ago, manz2821 said:

You start the game at a first and 5.  You run three pass plays and three incompletions that take 13 secs of the clock.   Its just mindboggling to me.  Maybe he believes the only way to get Wentz out of his funk is to throw 50 times a game.  It just defies logic.   Maybe Lombardi was right about him.  He like Howie and Wentz caught lighting in a bottle in 2017.

That set the tone. A first and 5 and they couldn't even convert that.  You have to call a run in that sequence somewhere.

Sadly with the cap issue, they will probably keep Wentz, send Doug walking, and hope new coach can turn Wentz around.

Just now, XoqTionR said:

Sadly with the cap issue, they will probably keep Wentz, send Doug walking, and hope new coach can turn Wentz around.

You can say that again!  And again and again and again and again!  :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

You can say that again!  And again and again and again and again!  :lol:

Lol I don't know what went on there. Repeating the insanity.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Did you catch the statement from Duce, about a HC needs to focus on his job as a HC and not be trying to run the offense in addition to his HC duties?  So true.  At this point I’d rather have Duce as HC (assuming he’d hire an OC to run the offense).  

Wow he said that?

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Wow he said that?

Yep.  I’ll see if I can find a link to a story that contains it. 

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’m a Doug supporter but I swear I never see him coach anyone during a game. Head always buried in the play chart. Never talks to anyone on defense including Schwartz, never see him getting in a player’s grill..