Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 minute ago, highboy said:

Assuming that it has anything to do with him and not the coaching scheme. 

Ahh so the first week when Hurts was good it was all Hurts. When he sucked this past week it was probably all the coaches fault? 

The coach certainly did suck but, so did Hurts period. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

There are a few problems I have with this assessment.

1) Hurts has more passing yards in his first 6 games then McNabb, Vick, Jackson, Wilson , McNair and Young. Murray only average a half a yard more per game in his first 6 starts. I mean do we all forget that McNabb had 60 passing yards and was sacked 3 times in his first game starting? Steve Young had an 30 yard passing game in one of his first starts.

2) While Hurts has 'started' 6 games, he has not played a full 6 games.

3) The WR situation last year was an atrocity and even the 'non running' QB could barely do anything with them. Part of the rushing total last year was him running for his life, where when Wentz was in he was getting sacked.

It's a silly argument at this point. Hurts can throw the ball. There are things he needs to work on but there's nothing to indicate he doesn't have the tools. He puts the work in. Sirriani has his own part to play in this.

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Ahh so the first week when Hurts was good it was all Hurts. When he sucked this past week it was probably all the coaches fault? 

The coach certainly did suck but, so did Hurts period. 

Find me the post where I said it was all Hurts in week one and then maybe you would have a point. But since you can't, you don't. Period.

Find me the post where I said it was all Hurts in week one and then maybe you would have a point. But since you can't, you don't. Period.

It was implied when you keep brining up the coach as part of the problem. 

27 minutes ago, downundermike said:

False.  Steve Young and Russell Wilson are QB's first.  They can run if need be, but they are 100% QB's who can pass the ball exceptionally.

False.

You're making something up.    QBs are QBs.   They either can run or they can't.  If they can't run, they  can't help the team in that way.

You are making' up a theory about what a running QB is,  and you want us to accept your theory, and I don't.

Unless you're talking about the triple option in college,   QBs throw.     The QB is either putting up good rushing yards on the ground (running QB)  or is not.

This is not any sort of new argument.

Russell Wilson leads the league is rushing some year.   But someone who can't argue that Wilson isn't a good passer prefers to make up their own weird and stupid definition of running QB which has nothing to do with running,  in order to continue to hold on to their ideology that running QBs aren't good.

Running QBs run.  They get rushing yards.   Just like QBs who don't run,   they vary in their ability to throw.

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

False.  Steve Young and Russell Wilson are QB's first.  They can run if need be, but they are 100% QB's who can pass the ball exceptionally.

Very true. And in Steve Young's first full season as a quarterback he threw for eight touchdowns and 13 interceptions, with a whopping 53% completion. 

3 minutes ago, highboy said:

Very true. And in Steve Young's first full season as a quarterback he threw for eight touchdowns and 13 interceptions, with a whopping 53% completion. 

And then had a 3-4 year stretch in San Francisco where he might have been the best passer in the league.

I do not see Jalen Hurts getting to the level of a passer even close to Young or Wilson.

4 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

False.

You're making something up.    QBs are QBs.   They either can run or they can't.  If they can't run, they  can't help the team in that way.

Incorrect.  When it is crunch time, QB's win games with their arm.  Running QB's do not do that.

Go look at Lamar Jackson in the playoffs, take his running away and make him beat you with his arm, he does not do it.

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It was implied when you keep brining up the coach as part of the problem. 

I had a total of 3 posts. So you're still wrong. 

I had a total of 3 posts. So you're still wrong. 

And 2 of the 3 said Sirianni was the problem with Hurts last week. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

And then had a 3-4 year stretch in San Francisco where he might have been the best passer in the league.

I do not see Jalen Hurts getting to the level of a passer even close to Young or Wilson.

Incorrect.  When it is crunch time, QB's win games with their arm.  Running QB's do not do that.

Go look at Lamar Jackson in the playoffs, take his running away and make him beat you with his arm, he does not do it.

Yet there was literally nothing you could see in his first season that would ever indicate that he would go on to even have a mediocre career let alone a Hall of Fame career. It's almost like trying to define what a quarterback is going to be after a handful of games is a stupid endeavor. Especially when someone like Jalen has shown far more good than bad. 

Running QBs can win with their arm in crunch time. Russell Wilson and Steve Young are running QBs. Because they can run. Being a quarterback that runs does not mean the quarterback can't throw unless you completely make up your own definition, which you seem to have done. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

And 2 of the 3 said Sirianni was the problem with Hurts last week. 

You made that up. Try reading again, instead of doubling down on your obvious knee jerk reaction to the first thing I posted. It's okay. 

2 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

There's loads of good craft breweries around the Philly area and in NJ.  The best new one is called The Seed in Atlantic City.  They are doing some great stuff.  IPAs, German styles, UK styles (they had a dark English Mild that was outstanding), Belgian styles, and Stouts.  Been there a few times.

I haven't been to Philly unfortunately but its on the list and I will one day come... once we are eventually allowed back in the country and I can see my damn brother! 😅

4 minutes ago, highboy said:

Running QBs can win with their arm in crunch time. Russell Wilson and Steve Young are running QBs.

False.  They are QB's that can run if they have to.  Those guys average 31 and 28 yards per game rushing for their career.  The guys with double that, Hurts and Jackson are running QB's.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So, you're arguing about which running QB is a better passer.

Just now, downundermike said:

False.  They are QB's that can run if they have to.  Those guys average 31 and 28 yards per game rushing for their career.  The guys with double that, Hurts and Jackson are running QB's.

False. They are running QBs. Because they run. 

2 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Apparently he has access to some official NFL tome that dictates that quarterback that runs for X amount of yards should be considered a running QB and nothing else. Or something. Because reasons.

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

First 6 games passing

Jackson - 159.5 yards per game

Young - 162 yards per game

Wilson - 169.6 yards per game

Hurts - 223 yards per game

So if Hurts has more yards passing per game in his first 6 (even though he was pulled in that last game against WFT) on average then the other guys, but he is still a running QB? I am just trying to figure out the logic, or if it is just cherry picking data.

6 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

That would be debate between Jackson and Hurts.

Wilson is not a running QB.

4 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

First 6 games passing

So if Hurts has more yards passing per game in his first 6 (even though he was pulled in that last game against WFT) on average then the other guys, but he is still a running QB? I am just trying to figure out the logic, or if it is just cherry picking data.

It's clearly the latter. 

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

False.

A running QB is a QB who runs.  

Russell Wilson led QBs in rushing yards with 849 yards one year.

3 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

First 6 games passing

So if Hurts has more yards passing per game in his first 6 (even though he was pulled in that last game against WFT) on average then the other guys, but he is still a running QB?

So he is a better passer than Jackson, not saying much.

What is the difference in average passing yards 2020 vs 2013.  What is the difference in average passing yards 2020 vs 1985.  Stupid argument, the NFL has changed and passing yards are at an all time high.  

I mean, Jacoby Brissett averaged 209 passing yards in his first 6 starts.  Is Hurts 223 really that special ??  RG III averaged 223.

3 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

False.

A running QB is a QB who runs.  

Russell Wilson led QBs in rushing yards with 849 yards one year.

No.  A running QB is a QB whose offense is based around his running ability.  The Seahawks offense is not based around that.  

You are trying to say Hurts is a QB when he is incapable of passing to a huge majority of the field.

Matt Ryan vs. Jalen Hurts: Passing charts from Week 1 matchup

8 minutes ago, highboy said:

Apparently he has access to some official NFL tome that dictates that quarterback that runs for X amount of yards should be considered a running QB and nothing else. Or something. Because reasons.

No,  he has an ideology.

According to him,  a running QB is not good.  

So if a QB 1) runs for a lot of yards and 2) is clearly good at passing,  that QB is not a running QB,  because, according to him, a running QB is not good at passing.

For me,  the cutoff for running QB is 500 yards in a season.  But that's not an official stat.   500 rushing yards in a season for a QB is pretty uncommon. 

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So he is a better passer than Jackson, not saying much.

What is the difference in average passing yards 2020 vs 2013.  What is the difference in average passing yards 2020 vs 1985.  Stupid argument, the NFL has changed and passing yards are at an all time high.  

I mean, Jacoby Brissett averaged 209 passing yards in his first 6 starts.  Is Hurts 223 really that special ??  RG III averaged 223.

You don't understand that passing yards is a function, in part, of the number of passes thrown?

The Ravens have led the league in rushing yards since Lamar became the starter.  Because they run a lot.  And have gone to the playoffs every year with Lamar as the starter.   Lamar, if you haven't forgotten,  was the MVP in 2019,  and the Ravens had a 14-2 record that year.

Out of the running QBs,  maybe Russell Wilson is the best passser,  maybe it's Jalen Hurts, maybe it's Lamar Jackson,  maybe Kyler Murray,  maybe Tyrod Taylor, maybe someone else.  But you don't measure passing yards to determine that.   Look at Passer rating for passing.

3 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Out of the running QBs,  maybe Russell Wilson is the best passser,  maybe it's Jalen Hurts, maybe it's Lamar Jackson,  maybe Kyler Murray,  maybe someone else. 

FYP

Archived