Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my biggest concerns with Hurts is the fumbling. He fumbled a few times in just 4 games and that's something he's got to work on. But he seems like the kind of kid who will work on that and try to improve on that side of his game. 

I like Hurts, I like his game and I think there's a chance he can be a good nfl QB. Do I think he will be elite? To be honest no but I think he can be good and for the next couple of years that may be enough for this team. 

50 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I don't view Hurts as this sure thing bad QB, I just think we can get a better one at #6.

I think it’s very possible they could get someone at 6. It’s also possible they can move up if they want to as well. I’d rather they give Hurts a chance to prove he can or can’t do it first if I’m being honest. 

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think it’s very possible they could get someone at 6. It’s also possible they can move up if they want to as well. I’d rather they give Hurts a chance to prove he can or can’t do it first if I’m being honest. 

Honestly, I would be more open to that if next year's QB class wasn't so horrible, coupled with the fact that we currently have a high enough pick to be in a position to grab a QB, which might not be the case next year. I just think it's the right time to just start anew.

19 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Honestly, I would be more open to that if next year's QB class wasn't so horrible, coupled with the fact that we currently have a high enough pick to be in a position to grab a QB, which might not be the case next year. I just think it's the right time to just start anew.

I don’t watch a lot of college football so I won’t get to deep into that, but it always seems like every other year I hear the quarterback class is bad yet they still end up having a player or two in it. Conversely you hear about a great quarterback class (like McNabb’s class) and most of them turn out to stink. In any case I won’t be upset if they draft a quarterback, but between Foles, Hurts, and the new guy that is a lot of resources put in that position. 

49 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Or how about we actually rebuild a team a QB can actually win with? Like, this year and next year?

Because short one read and run QBs never last in the NFL. If he develop more of a pocket game like Wilson he has a strong chance to be a very good QBs imo. However based off of last year he doesn't seem to have the arm strength to turn into Wilson after throwing duck after duck downfield. 

Define "sure thing bad QB."

To me, he's a bottom 25% starting QB in the league.  He is not well rounded enough to climb far up the list (may or may not with time). He has an issue reading defenses, which leads him to run ALOT.  He has an accuracy issue (not arm strength).  Interestingly, this is what he showed all throughout his college career and how his scouting reports read.  I think he can consistently win 5 - 9 wins per year.  Is that good enough to win a Super Bowl?   He deserves a shot and will get that.  Just don't be upset when he tops out in the middle of the NFL pack. 

So, I'd ask "how many QBs over time have been ultimately successful with Hurts' skill set?"

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I don't view Hurts as this sure thing bad QB, I just think we can get a better one at #6.

Who??? Don't just give this philosophical statements. Lawrence is sure thing for #1 . Fields or Wilson are going to the Jets at #2.  Some team will try to jump to #3 for whoever is left (Fields or Wilson) and if they do not ....then by #4  Fields and Wilson are gone. Which leaves Trey Lance who is just as inconsistent as Hurts, or Kyle Trask who is a very good QB but not very mobile. Who exactly are you talking about that is worth a 6th Pick??? Unless we trade back...there is no good value.

6 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Because short one read and run QBs never last in the NFL. If he develop more of a pocket game like Wilson he has a strong chance to be a very good QBs imo. However based off of last year he doesn't seem to have the arm strength to turn into Wilson after throwing duck after duck downfield. 

Last year was called "Run for your Life" due to our incredibly bad offensive line. Let's rebuild our Offensive line first and then see what happens from a QB.

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I don't know if we can or not, but you have to ask "can Hurts get me to a Super Bowl?"  If the answer is "NO", then we need to keep looking and trying to find that guy.

This is the weird parallel to Wentz.  Many claimed he was never going to be good enough to get us back there, so he needed to go.  Same rules apply.

7 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Define "sure thing bad QB."

To me, he's a bottom 25% starting QB in the league.  He is not well rounded enough to climb far up the list (may or may not with time). He has an issue reading defenses, which leads him to run ALOT.  He has an accuracy issue (not arm strength).  Interestingly, this is what he showed all throughout his college career and how his scouting reports read.  I think he can consistently win 5 - 9 wins per year.  Is that good enough to win a Super Bowl?   He deserves a shot and will get that.  Just don't be upset when he tops out in the middle of the NFL pack. 

So, I'd ask "how many QBs over time have been ultimately successful with Hurts' skill set?"

Wilson

3 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Last year was called "Run for your Life" due to our incredibly bad offensive line. Let's rebuild our Offensive line first and then see what happens from a QB.

Sure ideally but this is why people view him as a sure thing bad qb. Also building an oline is a lot easier said than done. 

4 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Wilson

OK, Howie.  Wilson has always been a pass first QB, who can run.  Hurts has never been that.

Try harder.

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I don't know if we can or not, but you have to ask "can Hurts get me to a Super Bowl?"  If the answer is "NO", then we need to keep looking and trying to find that guy.

This is the weird parallel to Wentz.  Many claimed he was never going to be good enough to get us back there, so he needed to go.  Same rules apply.

We do not know. It is premature to judge.  Hurts was thrown into a meat grinder last year. This year they are bringing coaches who either worked with him previously, or have history developing QBs. They will have a full off season to improve his mechanics. I will reserve judgements until next year. To assume that nothing about Hurts will change is to completely disrespect everything that the new coaching staff is bringing.

15 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Not how I remember it. I've seen a couple of "deep" balls that were perfectly accurate but weren't caught. I see room for improvement, but it's not hopeless.

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

OK, Howie.  Wilson has always been a pass first QB, who can run.  Hurts has never been that.

Try harder.

And even then it took him a few years till he became a better passer and needed to lean on his defense and run game 

5 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Try harder.

Michael Vick, Cam Newtown, and of course my beloved Randall Cunningham.. I saw Randall run in the beginning ...very much like Hurts. People were saying the same shhhh about Randall

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

We do not know. It is premature to judge.  Hurts was thrown into a meat grinder last year. This year they are bringing coaches who either worked with him previously, or have history developing QBs. They will have a full off season to improve his mechanics. I will reserve judgements until next year. To assume that nothing about Hurts will change is to completely disrespect everything that the new coaching staff is bringing.

We have plenty to judge his current state on.  What he put on the field over the past 5 years is plenty to get an idea.  He played at the college equivalents of the New England Patriots with the best staffs in college football.  I guess that we should assume they knew nothing and this should all be ignored.

I hope it works, but I don't ever see him getting us to a Super Bowl.  Given that, the Eagles should keep looking.

9 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Michael Vick, Cam Newtown, and of course my beloved Randall Cunningham.. I saw Randall run in the beginning ...very much like Hurts. People were saying the same shhhh about Randall

1 Super Bowl in 35 years with that group.

Time will tell.  I hope it works out.

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

We have plenty to judge his current state on.  What he put on the field over the past 5 years is plenty to get an idea.  He played at the college equivalents of the New England Patriots with the best staffs in college football.  I guess that we should assume they knew nothing and this should all be ignored.

I hope it works, but I don't ever see him getting us to a Super Bowl.  Given that, the Eagles should keep looking.

When you see any QB ..who you think is more qualified available..please let me know. I do not see anyone at this point who is better and available to be our starting QB of the future.

25 minutes ago, Infam said:

Not how I remember it. I've seen a couple of "deep" balls that were perfectly accurate but weren't caught. I see room for improvement, but it's not hopeless.

He had a few on the money but a bunch of ducks that just fell short and others that receivers had to break off routes to try and go make a play on. One that comes to mind is to Reagor who was running a skinny post route but Hurts threw its like it was a in route. Reagor tried adjusting to the ball placement, couldn't make the catch, and people were blaming Reagor even though it was a sheet throw. 

People also forgot Randall lost all the 4 games he started as a rookie and threw his first and only TD of his rookie season on the last game of the season. Randall turned out to be alright 😎

Archived