Jason Peters out for the season

Talonblood

On 12/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, Mike030270 said:

I never wanted him back. He should have started enjoying retirement last year

One of the greatest but he's ending his career in a flaming garbage truck

And while he's not the driver, he's definitely threw some gasoline in there...

22 hours ago, wyote said:

Another injury the Eagles fans cheer. 

I'm really grateful for all the great years he gave the Eagles.  

It's not malice though. I'm sure everyone agrees with me that we all would rather he retire and enjoy the rest of his life. I think there's also some that would like him to try out coaching

9 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Great player, great Eagle. Supposedly he wants to play next year which has me wondering if JP took care of his money.

JP is just throwing it out there in case Howie is still GM, he knows that suckers will sign him again.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, jsdarkstar said:

Sad way for Peters to go out. Bad news

It's similar to Orlando pace. Neither knew when to call it quits. 

• Like 1

As great as he is, it is time to move on.  He has had his chances to shine and he did shine.  Over-staying will only leave grey marks on his legacy.  The same applies to other vets on the team, no matter how mush they are worshiped.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:46 PM, Talonblood said:

I agree. He is milking every penny. If they are willing to pay, hey. I don't mind if he plays again, more power to him- just not in Philly anymore. Let new people play. Now....Jeffries....broooohaaahhaaaa.... I want him gone, too. And DJax. Any old a** money sucking, injury prone relic needs to go.

No player ever stole a dime from an owner in the history of the NFL.  If you're JP and simply trying to hang on and the Eagles say come on home for another $8 million?  Oh hell yeah. Because alternatively, the league will cut you and never look back.  

Howie paid JP with his eyes wide open. 

• Like 3

Congrats to JP on a HOF career! Unfortunately he should have retired after last season. Hope he can fully recover and get some weight off and enjoy life with his family and whatever else he chooses to do moving forward.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

No player ever stole a dime from an owner in the history of the NFL.  If you're JP and simply trying to hang on and the Eagles say come on home for another $8 million?  Oh hell yeah. Because alternatively, the league will cut you and never look back.  

Yep, certainly can’t blame Peters for accepting an invitation to return and get paid well.  100% of the blame goes to Howie for bringing him back.  He should have stuck to his guns after preaching at the conclusion of last season about the need to recognize when to make those hard decisions to move on from former greats that have aged and no longer able to play at a high level or spend more time injured than on the field.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yep, certainly can’t blame Peters for accepting an invitation to return and get paid well.  100% of the blame goes to Howie for bringing him back.  He should have stuck to his guns after preaching at the conclusion of last season about the need to recognize when to make those hard decisions to move on from former greats that have aged and no longer able to play at a high level or spend more time injured than on the field.  

The problem, of course, is that nobody expected Dillard to be lost a couple of weeks before the season began and bringing in new players and getting them up to speed was next to impossible.  But Howie relied on an aging, injury prone, leaderless and rudderless roster that collapsed like a house of cards.  

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

The problem, of course, is that nobody expected Dillard to be lost a couple of weeks before the season began and bringing in new players and getting them up to speed was next to impossible.  But Howie relied on an aging, injury prone, leaderless and rudderless roster that collapsed like a house of cards.  

The thing is, we have these young players on the roster ... in the case of Mailata for a few years now ... that we have been grooming.  Why not give them the opportunity?  We first brought JP back when Brooks went out.  Should have rolled with Herbig, Pryor, Driscoll, etc.  Thats why we draft those guys and start grooming them, to be ready for these types of situations.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Great player, great Eagle. Supposedly he wants to play next year which has me wondering if JP took care of his money.

The longer you play, the harder it is to give it up. I remember it was very difficult for me to accept it when I was cut by the Jets and I was only there a few weeks after I was done playing in college. Playing since I was 5/6. So yes most players when they play as long as Peters would take another year if someone is going to give them the chance. So Im sure this has nothing to do with his financial situation. 

59 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The thing is, we have these young players on the roster ... in the case of Mailata for a few years now ... that we have been grooming.  Why not give them the opportunity?  We first brought JP back when Brooks went out.  Should have rolled with Herbig, Pryor, Driscoll, etc.  Thats why we draft those guys and start grooming them, to be ready for these types of situations.  

Howie created a roster gap - more like a chasm.  You’re either an aging, injury prone vet or a developmental player not ready for prime time.  There’s nothing in between.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This is true, even if a player knows he is no good and is stealing playing time and $$ from another hungry player.

9 hours ago, Godfather said:

Buh bye

Haven't you heard? Howie is probably coming back which means JP has a good chance of coming back too...

On 12/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, jsdarkstar said:

Sad way for Peters to go out. Bad news

He can console himself counting the $$ he banked this year for a few hours work.

On 12/11/2020 at 1:22 PM, Hawkeye said:

Mailata will be at LT.  I think Herbig is replacing him at  RG.

And what happens next year when Dillard returns?  I'm concerned that Lane might be entering Peters territory...

I wouldn't quite take it that far.  Lane just turned 30 and Peters is damn near 40.  He should have a few good years left. 

On 12/13/2020 at 12:58 PM, Hawkeye said:

On 12/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, time2rock said:

To be fair, though, this was an anomaly of an offseason that forced some weird roster moves. Rolling with a bunch of rookies and under-developed players might be possible if they can at least get a full camp and some serious preseason action in, but in an offseason without normal practice time, it's not surprising that Howie would go with an older vet that at least knows the playbook and what to expect against other NFL caliber players.  

5 minutes ago, Kz! said:

To be fair, though, this was an anomaly of an offseason that forced some weird roster moves. Rolling with a bunch of rookies and under-developed players might be possible if they can at least get a full camp and some serious preseason action in, but in an offseason without normal practice time, it's not surprising that Howie would go with an older vet that at least knows the playbook and what to expect against other NFL caliber players.  

Absolutely. And count me among those who agreed that JP made the most sense when two of the five starters went down.  He knows the system better than some of the coaching staff. The problem is it's not just him.  Lane seems to be on the downhill side and Brooks' seasons always seem to end early.  Layer in the Alshon deal, the DJax deal and letting Jenkins fly and you see where it leads. 

It was a strange offseason for everyone. The Eagles have to do better. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Absolutely. And count me among those who agreed that JP made the most sense when two of the five starters went down.  He knows the system better than some of the coaching staff. The problem is it's not just him.  Lane seems to be on the downhill side and Brooks' seasons always seem to end early.  Layer in the Alshon deal, the DJax deal and letting Jenkins fly and you see where it leads. 

It was a strange offseason for everyone. The Eagles have to do better. 

They should not be relying on a guy like Brooks when he gets injured so much now.  They need to have a backup ready to step in and the guys they had weren't working so they got desperate and called up JP.  

I like that they drafted Driscoll and they're always getting practice squad guys.  Dillard getting hurt was a real shame because he was slated as the starter and we would have got answers on whether he's going to be legit or not.  Stoutland is a great coach, just keep getting him talent to work with.