The Eagles’s offensive line is no good.

oline

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Wholly crap! Brandon Brooks looks ripped like a linebacker instead of an offensive linemen. 

Screen_Shot_2020_07_24_at_7.07.24_AM.0.p

7 hours ago, judunno said:

I wonder how many of those sacks are on Wentz for trying to extend plays. Hard for me to believe all of these sacks were due to the line and jail breaks or something.

Yes. and how many of those plays Wentz extended, was because his WR's were not getting open? 

7 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Last year's 2nd round pick could have been an impact player on D, instead of a wasted pick.

3rd round pick too. Not widely remembered, but we actually drafted a LB in round 3 last year.

8 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Last year's 2nd round pick could have been an impact player on D, instead of a wasted pick.

Actually he had more of an impact than the 2020 #1 pick of  and the 2019 pick combined.  Lol

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2020 at 10:35 PM, SNOORDA said:

We gotta draft all d in this draft.  This o-lines going to have to get and stay healthy next season.  That’s just where we are by neglecting the defense so long

Yes, we need help on both sides of the ball, but I am going to respectfully disagree on this.  The Eagles need to make a choice as to who their QB is going to be for the 2021 season and whoever that QB is will need all the help he can get so he at least doesn't get pummeled and regress (or regress even further).  So I'd say they need to draft more O players in this draft then the next couple drafts they can focus more on the D.  It's an O League now with the rules favouring the O over the D so the first thing you need is a good O that can outscore the opponent's O and we're FAR from that right now.  After you put that O together then you put together a D that does two things:  1-Is really tough in the RZ and can hold the other team to FGs instead of TDs and 2-Can create TOs.  The time of shutdown Ds is slowly coming to an end with how Roger wants the NFL to be now.

So give our QB all that he needs to not get killed and to be (dare I say) successful.  So we're probably going to need another IOL in case Kelce finally decides to retire, we're going to need another WR since Alshon and DJax will be gone and Reagor hasn't really impressed and Ward will never be explosive enough to really add anything unique to the O, we need another RB to compliment Sanders (Sermon would look good splitting touches with Sanders), Ertz will be gone and Goedert has yet to breakout and meet expectations so you can't rule out TE as a need either. 

Sure, we need DBs in a bad way (at least 2) and at least one other decent/solid LB to pair with Singleton and probably more DE depth, but let's help the QB next season so they don't get shell shocked and we completely have to start over. 

1 minute ago, Green_Guinness said:

Yes, we need help on both sides of the ball, but I am going to respectfully disagree on this.  The Eagles need to make a choice as to who their QB is going to be for the 2021 season and whoever that QB is will need all the help he can get so he at least doesn't get pummeled and regress (or regress even further).  So I'd say they need to draft more O players in this draft then the next couple drafts they can focus more on the D.  It's an O League now with the rules favouring the O over the D so the first thing you need is a good O that can outscore the opponent's O and we're FAR from that right now.  After you put that O together then you put together a D that does two things:  1-Is really tough in the RZ and can hold the other team to FGs instead of TDs and 2-Can create TOs.  The time of shutdown Ds is slowly coming to an end with how Roger wants the NFL to be now.

So give our QB all that he needs to not get killed and to be (dare I say) successful.  So we're probably going to need another IOL in case Kelce finally decides to retire, we're going to need another WR since Alshon and DJax will be gone and Reagor hasn't really impressed and Ward will never be explosive enough to really add anything unique to the O, we need another RB to compliment Sanders (Sermon would look good splitting touches with Sanders), Ertz will be gone and Goedert has yet to breakout and meet expectations so you can't rule out TE as a need either. 

Sure, we need DBs in a bad way (at least 2) and at least one other decent/solid LB to pair with Singleton and probably more DE depth, but let's help the QB next season so they don't get shell shocked and we completely have to start over. 

Fair opinion.  No doubt you have to score points in this league.  But you have to have a couple of studs on the defense.  True leaders that demand respect from offensive coordinators around the league.  We are lacking in that department 

1 minute ago, SNOORDA said:

Fair opinion.  No doubt you have to score points in this league.  But you have to have a couple of studs on the defense.  True leaders that demand respect from offensive coordinators around the league.  We are lacking in that department 

Yup, we seem to lack leaders.  We really have no young players on D that you could point to and say "He's one of the leaders of this D".  All our leaders are aging and while their play hasn't declined yet, they are reaching the point where it will sooner than later.

I also didn't include that the QB will also need a competent O staff to help him.  This OC by committee has been a massive failure.  Keep Stoutland (something tells me they would find a way to keep Duce as well) and move on from the rest and put together a creative aggressive O staff.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yes. and how many of those plays Wentz extended, was because his WR's were not getting open? 

But that's when you're supposed to check down or throw the ball away. Trusting a receiver that's one on one could be a option as well. Also hard to believe that many of these are coverage sacks 

12 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Yup, we seem to lack leaders.  We really have no young players on D that you could point to and say "He's one of the leaders of this D".  All our leaders are aging and while their play hasn't declined yet, they are reaching the point where it will sooner than later.

I also didn't include that the QB will also need a competent O staff to help him.  This OC by committee has been a massive failure.  Keep Stoutland (something tells me they would find a way to keep Duce as well) and move on from the rest and put together a creative aggressive O staff.

Id be scouring the draft board for a bdawk type safety and using a 1st and second on secondary.   I know cb’s and safeties arent gaurenteed to be great in the nfl but we cant afford another wr bust 

46 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

I know fans tend to apply extreme caution to any form of optimism, but when considering the draft, you also need to consider the guys returning from injury. They already activated the 21 day practice window on Brooks, so he's basically recovered already and should be a full participant in the off-season. So we'll be going from Pryor/Peters at RG back to Brooks. That's a huge upgrade by itself. Lane Johnson still has to recover from the surgery, but he has plenty of time and this time should come back 100%. So we should have an upgrade at RT when a fully healthy Lane returns. Mailata got most of the work at LT this year that was supposed to go to Dillard and he's playing like a top 10 LT in the NFL right now. Dillard, at the very least, should compete for the starting LT job (I think Mailata will win) and  provide  quality depth  there and maybe give us a trade option if he looks good himself. Herbig received some quality time this season and looks like he can be a great reserve / solid starter if needed. With Driscoll also showing he can play in this league and offering versatility, we appear to actually be in pretty good shape on the o-line  heading into 2021. We also have a couple nice, young (long-term) projects we can develop in Toth and PTW. I also keep reading that Luke Juriga looks pretty good if something should happen to Kelce (or he decides to retire). TBH, I'd still prefer to see him in preseason before getting too excited, but it is good to read they are high on him. 

At WR, we invested a lot of draft picks there the last 2 drafts and I think we have to be a little patient. It's too early to panic just because none of our 2020 picks made the all-rookie team. We find a pretty intriguing prospect in Fulgham who should benefit a lot with a full offseason and a chance to work with the 1st team. I think Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower, and Watkins will all be better players at the beginning of 2021. Then there's JJAW ... It's hard to be optimistic that he'll contribute, but at this point, anything out of him is better than nothing. If things click for him and he responds well to competition, who knows? I fully expect the Eagles to release Jackson and Jeffery because of the cap numbers.  We also have Goodwin if we want to keep him. 

Regardless of what we do With Ertz, we should be fine at TE. Personally, I'd like to see us keep Rodgers around either way. He's a solid all-around TE with plenty of experience. Perkins wasn't bad as a receiver when needed if we decide to keep him around. 

So, If you take the optimist approach and apply it to the draft, I think you have to consider re-tooling the defense early and often. 

On 1/1/2021 at 8:02 AM, wyote said:

"The Eagles's offensive line is no good." 

Which one? 

He’s got a point, which combination line? It’s been like milkshake flavours w/tons of different combos you can think of...

Of we draft a couple good interior linemen in the 2nd - 5th rounds, we’ll be fine when our pro bowlers return with mailata amd driscoll as solid back-up amd maybe prince. 

8 hours ago, eggs said:

Of we draft a couple good interior linemen in the 2nd - 5th rounds, we’ll be fine when our pro bowlers return with mailata amd driscoll as solid back-up amd maybe prince. 

So hang on... We are relying on Brooks getting back to full health, Lane getting back to full health and both staying healthy and then Dillard being a legit LT? Hmm that's a lot of hoping there.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So hang on... We are relying on Brooks getting back to full health, Lane getting back to full health and both staying healthy and then Dillard being a legit LT? Hmm that's a lot of hoping there.

Brooks is pretty much already back at full health. The Eagles activated his 21 day practice window this last week.  Lane actually ended this season with surgery so that his ankle would heal correctly this time. He should easily be good to go for OTAs and camp. Having Dillard back is great for competition, but the job is probably Mailata's in the end. He's already playing at the level of a top-10 LT in this league. I don't get where all this "hoping" is coming from. Other than hoping we don't see new injuries, these old ones will be non-factors heading into 2021. We have one more game to go tonight and then 2020 can become a memory. We need to stop acting like everything that happened this year is likely to happen again next year. It's not. 

The post you quoted doesn't even mention Herbig which was another good development for this team this year even though it has largely gone under the radar.

So ... to answer your question, we are relying on proven, great players to start along with experienced, improving young players to provide depth, challenge for starting time and/or win starting jobs. That is how things work every year. How could this possibly be a negative heading into 2021?

37 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

So ... to answer your question, we are relying on proven, great players to start along with experienced, improving young players to provide depth, challenge for starting time and/or win starting jobs. That is how things work every year. How could this possibly be a negative heading into 2021?

Great points all around.  You need to remember that UK wants to replace the whole team and coaching staff, except Hurts.  

47 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Brooks is pretty much already back at full health. The Eagles activated his 21 day practice window this last week.  Lane actually ended this season with surgery so that his ankle would heal correctly this time. He should easily be good to go for OTAs and camp. Having Dillard back is great for competition, but the job is probably Mailata's in the end. He's already playing at the level of a top-10 LT in this league. I don't get where all this "hoping" is coming from. Other than hoping we don't see new injuries, these old ones will be non-factors heading into 2021. We have one more game to go tonight and then 2020 can become a memory. We need to stop acting like everything that happened this year is likely to happen again next year. It's not. 

The post you quoted doesn't even mention Herbig which was another good development for this team this year even though it has largely gone under the radar.

Nate could turn into one of the best guards in the game, he played real well vs the Rams taking on Aaron Donald, he was practically unmovable.. Eagles Oline has a great nucleus with Mailata, Driscol & Herbig. With a full offseason and training camp they could form one of the best Oline in the league.

21 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I know fans tend to apply extreme caution to any form of optimism, but when considering the draft, you also need to consider the guys returning from injury. They already activated the 21 day practice window on Brooks, so he's basically recovered already and should be a full participant in the off-season. So we'll be going from Pryor/Peters at RG back to Brooks. That's a huge upgrade by itself. Lane Johnson still has to recover from the surgery, but he has plenty of time and this time should come back 100%. So we should have an upgrade at RT when a fully healthy Lane returns. Mailata got most of the work at LT this year that was supposed to go to Dillard and he's playing like a top 10 LT in the NFL right now. Dillard, at the very least, should compete for the starting LT job (I think Mailata will win) and  provide  quality depth  there and maybe give us a trade option if he looks good himself. Herbig received some quality time this season and looks like he can be a great reserve / solid starter if needed. With Driscoll also showing he can play in this league and offering versatility, we appear to actually be in pretty good shape on the o-line  heading into 2021. We also have a couple nice, young (long-term) projects we can develop in Toth and PTW. I also keep reading that Luke Juriga looks pretty good if something should happen to Kelce (or he decides to retire). TBH, I'd still prefer to see him in preseason before getting too excited, but it is good to read they are high on him. 

At WR, we invested a lot of draft picks there the last 2 drafts and I think we have to be a little patient. It's too early to panic just because none of our 2020 picks made the all-rookie team. We find a pretty intriguing prospect in Fulgham who should benefit a lot with a full offseason and a chance to work with the 1st team. I think Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower, and Watkins will all be better players at the beginning of 2021. Then there's JJAW ... It's hard to be optimistic that he'll contribute, but at this point, anything out of him is better than nothing. If things click for him and he responds well to competition, who knows? I fully expect the Eagles to release Jackson and Jeffery because of the cap numbers.  We also have Goodwin if we want to keep him. 

Regardless of what we do With Ertz, we should be fine at TE. Personally, I'd like to see us keep Rodgers around either way. He's a solid all-around TE with plenty of experience. Perkins wasn't bad as a receiver when needed if we decide to keep him around. 

So, If you take the optimist approach and apply it to the draft, I think you have to consider re-tooling the defense early and often. 

Agreed 100%. The projected offence looks pretty deep once we get everybody back from injury.

I do think we need to find a way to sign a mid tier FA WR. A lot on the market, so see if we can get a good deal for JuJu or Marvin Jones etc. Feel with Jeffery and Jackson gone we need a veteran presence with the young WRs.

But the draft should be D early and often as you say. 

21 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed 100%. The projected offence looks pretty deep once we get everybody back from injury.

I do think we need to find a way to sign a mid tier FA WR. A lot on the market, so see if we can get a good deal for JuJu or Marvin Jones etc. Feel with Jeffery and Jackson gone we need a veteran presence with the young WRs.

But the draft should be D early and often as you say. 

We could choose to keep Goodwin. Also, after we release Jackson, I wouldn't be all that shocked to see him return for the vet minimum if he doesn't decide to retire. After 2 injury-plagued seasons at his age, he's not getting another player-friendly contract. After he has time to consider retirement, I think he'll lean that way (retire). But if he still wants to be a player, I think he'd rather be here than anywhere else. It probably doesn't sound ideal (based on the last 2 years), but the cap will limit what we can do there. Any other vet willing to sign even a moderate contract will probably expect to start. 

2021 will probably be a strange year in free agency if that cap hits the floor. So who knows? There may be a lot of players signing 1-year deals on teams where they can start and play for that 2022 contract.

44 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You need to remember that UK wants to replace the whole team and coaching staff, except Hurts.  

office-heads_will_roll-beheadings-decapi

Dillard will need to become the swing tackle back up, until he earns a starting spot. He better learn the right side as well.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Brooks is coming back from back to back achilles tears. Who knows if his body can withstand a full year anymore. Lane is now the wrong side of 30 and who knows if he can stay healthy. I think there is hope involved with those players. 

39 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

We could choose to keep Goodwin. Also, after we release Jackson, I wouldn't be all that shocked to see him return for the vet minimum if he doesn't decide to retire. After 2 injury-plagued seasons at his age, he's not getting another player-friendly contract. After he has time to consider retirement, I think he'll lean that way (retire). But if he still wants to be a player, I think he'd rather be here than anywhere else. It probably doesn't sound ideal (based on the last 2 years), but the cap will limit what we can do there. Any other vet willing to sign even a moderate contract will probably expect to start. 

2021 will probably be a strange year in free agency if that cap hits the floor. So who knows? There may be a lot of players signing 1-year deals on teams where they can start and play for that 2022 contract.

Goodwin was never good to begin with, so I wouldn't be tempted by that. Jackson is completely unreliable now, can't stay healthy at all and will turn 35 during 2021. I'd sooner bring back Jeffery (and despite my defending of Jeffery on this board, I don't think that's a great idea either).

Yeah that's exactly what I was hoping. Get a vet to sign a good value 1 year prove it deal it. We basically need to find the next Nelson Agholor.

And to be honest I think we do need a vet to come in and start. Reagor, Watkins, Fulgham and Hightower will all have plenty of opportunities to earn playing time, but I really feel we need a veteran presence to help them grow and be a reliable talent for Hurts/Wentz.

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Brooks is coming back from back to back achilles tears. Who knows if his body can withstand a full year anymore. Lane is now the wrong side of 30 and who knows if he can stay healthy. I think there is hope involved with those players. 

There is definitely hope involved with both of those players, but even so look at our depth chart for next year:

LT - Mailata/Dillard

LG Sealumo/Herbig

C Kelce/Sealumo/Herbig

RG Brooks/Herbig

RT Johnson/Driscoll

So even if Johnson and Brooks miss time our line still looks pretty good.

We need to add a couple of interior lineman for sure, but that's a pretty good depth chart, we have 8 players there I feel confident in.

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Brooks came back, played a whole year and then tore the other achilles. He'd probably play next week if we actually did go to the postseason. Please save the "wrong side of 30" cliche for everybody else besides me. By now, you should know that means nothing to me. Graham is there and having his best year. For the 4th straight year being on the wrong side, Calais Campbell is in the Pro Bowl. Jackie Slater, Mike Webster, Chuck Bednarik, Bruce Matthews, Kevin Mawae, Jim Otto, Larry Allen, Winston Hill, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Merlin Olsen, etc... None of them care about "30."

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

There is definitely hope involved with both of those players, but even so look at our depth chart for next year:

LT - Mailata/Dillard

LG Sealumo/Herbig

C Kelce/Sealumo/Herbig

RG Brooks/Herbig

RT Johnson/Driscoll

So even if Johnson and Brooks miss time our line still looks pretty good.

We need to add a couple of interior lineman for sure, but that's a pretty good depth chart, we have 8 players there I feel confident in.

That is of course assuming that the injuries don't continue?