EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Sirianni has zero pressure his first two years, coming off a 4-11-1 season, expectations are already low.

Then Howie has to dump a dozen "name" veterans the next two seasons, so local media will be predicting last place finishes.

So no one will blame Sirianni when the team goes 5-11 or so. Howie will be the "fall guy."

This allows Sirianni, who'll have no loyalty to these veterans, to build a team around youth, coach them up and teach them the schemes.

Come winter 2023, Howie will have cleared the cap room for another 2016, i.e., adding 3-4 young FAs like Brooks, Bradham, McLeod and Jerrigan.

When the Eagles go 11-5, Sirianni is coach of the year.

Compare to Smith in Atlanta, he has to win now b/c Ryan has three years left on his contract, 8-8 or even 9-7 won't be good enough.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Sanders and Goedert so far haven't been reliable with health.

I think the team still needs a #1 WR. They've messed it up so much

#1 WR is so low on the list of areas to address when rebuilding a roster. 

When is the last time drafting a WR so high actually worked out for a team? Julio Jones when they had a roster built o compete and made a massive trade up to get. 

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think people understand how coaching trees work

Each member of the blog has to make a family tree like edition of an NFL coaching tree as homework.

57 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Sanders and Scott are not "good” pass catching backs?  Disagree  We need a hammer that can sub for Boobie and that means he needs to be able to catch too.  I actually liked Huntley as a late day 3 pick last year.  Behind this season’s OL he showed nothing.  He was also back for KORs in the last game.  Felton may be better than Huntley but a #4 RB is not where the Eagles need to focus.

No, Scott is not a 'good' any kind of back.  He's serviceable at best, JAG at most realistic.  Remove his amazing feats against the Giants and he might even struggle to achieve full JAG status.

But, this team needs to get a legit #2 RB.  A bigger back with receiving ability would be nice.   No more relying on the JAGs of the past that got overvalued because they were better than the dreck before them.   Scott would be fine for 2021, due to all the other issues, but if he's on the roster in 2022, then fire the entire scouting department, from Howie on down.

As for Sanders... he regressed and had a large number of drops.  He needs to correct that.

18 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

He interviewed, and wasn't the best candidate it would appear.

What's the alternative? That Lurie is a racist who would never hire a black coach (which he's already done in the past)?

Just because a guy has been on the staff and "paid his dues" doesn't mean he deserves to be promoted to HC. That's not how any of this works. This isn't the mafia. 

How is Sirianni the "best candidate”? What are his qualifications? 

17 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Balderdash.  Duce has been RB coach since 2013; he hasn’t branched out or expanded his qualifications.  RB is devalued position on the field and in the coaching ranks.  Time for Duce to fly:

It’s not like Sirianni has any better qualifications 

12 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Which was basically lose as much as humanely possibly to get really high picks and he didn’t do that well either. There’s a reason he’s not in sports anymore. 

As someone who followed the Sixers very closely during those years, I promise you there was a lot more to it than that. But you are right that he was not successful enough at many other aspects of being a GM, hence his eventual demise. Influential though, to be sure.

38 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Actually they don't. You can swear to anything in a notarized affidavit, but as long as it isn't an actual lie there is no wrong doing, i.e., a sincere but mistaken impression would not be perjury. And many claims, "I saw trucks with out of state license plates," might be true but totally meaningless (did they rent them from the local U-haul for the night?).

And most of the affidavits attested not to facts but "I though I saw", that is, untrained and ill-informed observers jumping to conclusions without actually knowing what they were watching.

Many of these affidavits were hearsay affidavits, "I heard somebody else say something" and some were just plain loony:

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2020/12/08/witness-pa-election-fraud-suit-ghost-hunter-long-criminal-record/6496500002/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8938507/Donald-Trumps-234-pages-fraud-affidavits-include-unusual-claims.html

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/12/maricopa-county-judge-hear-trump-team-case-maricopa-county-votes/6260414002/

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/judges-increasingly-frustrated-trumps-legal-claims-2020-election/story?id=74211479

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/12/03/trump-lawsuits-challenging-election-michigan-arizona-pennsylvania-georgia/6425725002/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/election-fraud-claims-a-state-by-state-guide-11609962846

https://apnews.com/article/ap-explains-fail-prove-election-fraud-d0f13ae6ca370c8716706d3f7d85659e

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/11/22/trumps-legal-team-cried-vote-fraud-but-courts-found-none/

Note that many of the judges that found these fraud claims to be baseless were Trump appointees. Were they part of the "Deep State" conspiracy?

Once upon a time there was real voter fraud, while I think many of the Chicago stories were apocryphal, having written a book on Texas history and politics, elections in the 1930s and 1940s were rife with voter fraud (See Caro, The Path to Power). But that is ancient history. The only documented frauds the last couple decades have been local elections and primaries, and as much by Republicans as Democrats. For one thing, the stakes in bigger elections and the money involved means both sides have the resources to research and expose real fraud.

The affidavits ranged from potential improprieties (like you described) to outright fraud. There were affidavits that people signed, under the threat of perjury, where they alleged that they witnessed poll workers filling out empty absentee ballots. Others, such as the affidavit from a DEMOCRATIC poll watcher, alleged that hundreds of mail-in ballots in unsealed boxes contained 100% Biden votes. That's similar to the county that had military ballots cast 900-0 in favor of Biden. 

Again, this isn't to say that "the election was clearly stolen." However, raising these issues doesn't make one an insurrectionist. The media has created a narrative that anyone who questions the integrity of the election is someone who's attacking our democracy. 

4 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

How is Sirianni the "best candidate”? What are his qualifications? 

As far as Jeff Lurie is concerned, he was the best candidate. Lurie so far has done a pretty good job hiring head coaches, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Are you suggesting Jeff Lurie is a racist? 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Which banned former poster are you.  

I'll let the Hinkie stuff go. But you got the wrong idea about me.

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

And I'd go so far as to say that Reich is in NO WAY part of the 'Doug Pederson' tree.   

Just now, jwill2420 said:

So YOU say...

he has worked with different organizations and head coaches all from outside the Reid/Pederson tree...he was not groomed from within one system under one coaching discipline...he brings different successful coaching experiences from a variety of philosophies, which Duce just does't have

Just now, jwill2420 said:

It’s not like Sirianni has any better qualifications 

For the job description as Lurie (the employer) laid it out?  Yes he does

Lurie wants the Eagles to have a prolific passing offense; he’s spent a huge amount of resources into the QB position — even if you go all the way back to Bradford/Daniel, he paid Chase Daniel a lot of money to be a backup QB.

Duce was the internal candidate, with backing of other employees (players).  If he was as well qualified as Sirianni, he’d have been offered the job.  Also keep in mind the qualifications of this job are heavily weighted toward your short and long term vision for the roster, your team of coordinators and coaches, and your philosophy.  One should assume Sirianni has a vision and philosophy that aligns closer with Lurie.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And I'd go so far as to say that Reich is in NO WAY part of the 'Doug Pederson' tree.   

Agreed. Closest thing to the Doug Pederson tree is Press Taylor and that's about it. 

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Which banned former poster are you.  

That might be my burner account — so everyone who has me on ignore still has to read my nonsense 

8 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

When you hit that professional ceiling, you need to be self-aware enough to go and get the fresh experience and perspective....especially for Duce who has gone as far as he is going to go with the Eagles for now...Bienemy has his writing on the wall as well

Sometimes people set their own ceilings or temporary ceilings.   For example, I have seen nothing to suggest that Stoutland wants to be an OC or HC.  He was an OC at a small college thirty years ago but it has been OL ever since.  Flajole seems to have accepted that he is a position coach over the last decade.  I am not convinced Duce has accepted that he is a RBs coach at this point.  Bienemy may realize his best spot right now is as AR’s OC.  Absorb as much as he can from a HOF coach on his last contract extension.  If I was in Bienemy’s position, I might not really want to move just yet but I would take the interviews to keep my hand in the game.

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

For the job description as Lurie (the employer) laid it out?  Yes he does

Lurie wants the Eagles to have a prolific passing offense; he’s spent a huge amount of resources into the QB position — even if you go all the way back to Bradford/Daniel, he paid Chase Daniel a lot of money to be a backup QB.

Duce was the internal candidate, with backing of other employees (players).  If he was as well qualified as Sirianni, he’d have been offered the job.  Also keep in mind the qualifications of this job are heavily weighted toward your short and long term vision for the roster, your team of coordinators and coaches, and your philosophy.  One should assume Sirianni has a vision and philosophy that aligns closer with Lurie.

We really don’t know what type of offense Duce would have out there. He’s never gotten a chance. 

We can only assume at this point well anything but truth is Duce is always getting looked over and he did deserve a shot. 

18 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Well if properly fertilized (which it appears that some who post in here can easily do) you should have a nice little crop of coaches after about 3 years, depending on winter

2 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

We really don’t know what type of offense Duce would have out there. He’s never gotten a chance. 

We can only assume at this point well anything but truth is Duce is always getting looked over and he did deserve a shot. 

Why did he deserve a shot? What are his qualifications? 

Wulf had a good point on BwF, which was that Sirianni's resume would be very unlikely to lead to a HC hire if he were black. That gave me pause.

1 minute ago, jwill2420 said:

Not for this job, he didn’t.  He was the assistant head coach and didn’t tell Doug to run the damn ball.  IMO he was partly culpable for the abomination that was the 2020 Eagles offense.

Duce was part of the problem as far as I’m concerned 

2 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

he has worked with different organizations and head coaches all from outside the Reid/Pederson tree...he was not groomed from within one system under one coaching discipline...he brings different successful coaching experiences from a variety of philosophies, which Duce just does't have

He's also got WR coach, QB coach and OC on his resume.   In a passing league, being a RB coach and running game co-coordinator doesn't stack up to that.   I think to a certain extent, that's what Bieniemy is running up against as well.

2 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Wulf had a good point on BwF, which was that Sirianni's resume would be very unlikely to lead to a HC hire if he were black. That gave me pause.

His resume is as good as Arthur Smith.  They have very similar qualifications 

Archived