EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

The answer to me is rather simple... it comes down to the QB position, plain and simple. 

Black QBs were late in getting opportunities, and many of them were running threats, rather than passing threats.  There were very few 'Warren Moon' types, compared to the Randall Cunninghams, Michael Vicks and Steve McNairs.  These were guys who were so athletic that they didn't have to have proper mechanics all the time, proper reads, etc. but could win.  But, that's not sustainable in the NFL.  So, if you want get ahead in the NFL HC ranks, you really need to work with QBs.  Duce is a RB coach.  Bieniemy rose to OC through the RB coach path.  The NFL is a passing league now.    So, when seeking a new offensive coach, the guy you look for is going to come from a passing attack background... WR coaches, turned QB coaches, turned OCs.  The RB route is just a tough road to take.   

Defensive black coaches have gotten a shot more than offensive black coaches.  Why?   LBs, DBs - these guys understand the passing game from a defensive standpoint.   But, I can't think of many offensive black coaches, and its just lagging behind, as the black QB did.  It will happen, but it won't happen because they want it to.  It will happen when the right people are there, and they need to be trained.  The black offensive coaches really need to get more QB coaching opportunities... that's where the change will happen.   Keep an eye on Byron Leftwich.  He's the most likely next one, if Bieniemy is passed over this rotation.

Yeah, and they have to want to coach, Rodney Peete is a good example, he has the background that leads to coaching opportunities, journeyman QB who worked with different OCs and HCs. Just like Pederson and Reich. Journeymen have to be focused on mechanics and reading defenses b/c they need every freakin' edge they can get - would anyone consider McNabb for a coaching spot? The problem for stars in all sports is they often can't explain how they do it, and they can't teach great athleticism.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The answer to me is rather simple... it comes down to the QB position, plain and simple. 

Black QBs were late in getting opportunities, and many of them were running threats, rather than passing threats.  There were very few 'Warren Moon' types, compared to the Randall Cunninghams, Michael Vicks and Steve McNairs.  These were guys who were so athletic that they didn't have to have proper mechanics all the time, proper reads, etc. but could win.  But, that's not sustainable in the NFL.  So, if you want get ahead in the NFL HC ranks, you really need to work with QBs.  Duce is a RB coach.  Bieniemy rose to OC through the RB coach path.  The NFL is a passing league now.    So, when seeking a new offensive coach, the guy you look for is going to come from a passing attack background... WR coaches, turned QB coaches, turned OCs.  The RB route is just a tough road to take.   

Defensive black coaches have gotten a shot more than offensive black coaches.  Why?   LBs, DBs - these guys understand the passing game from a defensive standpoint.   But, I can't think of many offensive black coaches, and its just lagging behind, as the black QB did.  It will happen, but it won't happen because they want it to.  It will happen when the right people are there, and they need to be trained.  The black offensive coaches really need to get more QB coaching opportunities... that's where the change will happen.   Keep an eye on Byron Leftwich.  He's the most likely next one, if Bieniemy is passed over this rotation.

I think you're right and it's exactly why racial bias has lingered and played a role in hiring.  

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I really hope they don't... they need to do a massive roster purge and would greatly benefit from back to back draft selections in the top 10.

How can you root against your team making the playoffs. Will never understand that. Why so they can draft a CB or DT at pick 9? 

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Yeah, and they have to want to coach, Rodney Peete is a good example, he has the background that leads to coaching opportunities, journeyman QB who worked with different OCs and HCs. Just like Pederson and Reich. Journeymen have to be focused on mechanics and reading defenses b/c they need every freakin' edge they can get - would anyone consider McNabb for a coaching spot? The problem for stars in all sports is they often can't explain how they do it, and they can't teach great athleticism.

I think often stars don't get into coaching because a job in the media pays just as well and is much easier.  Peete also married an actress which probably helped his prospects.  I think the road for most coaches is through college coaching and not because the played professionally.  

18 minutes ago, greend said:

Man I forgot that we used to be able to do quick passes and slants

So did Doug

14 hours ago, bbabraham said:

The singular instance of the Eagles not hiring a black HC doesn't mean they're racist but how come this happens collectively across the league year after year? It's hard to point the finger at any one individual franchise but how do you explain the collective trend?

It goes to the level of development of younger black coaches.  Eagles have been doing their share of development.  Ollie, Harper, Vaseo.  Brought in Manuel (former DC) and Moorehead, a coach new to the NFL as a coach, last year and already had Duce.  When Doug went out with Covid this past summer, Duce was given a chance at the head coach reins.  Duce may not like it but to move higher, he probably needs to work outside of the AR tree or be like Stout and Frajole and accept he is a solid position coach.  Watch Vaseo in the future.  I think he probably has one in the NFL.  Of course, the Eagles also have been developing white coaches too, like the Pagnetti brothers and Press Taylor.  Personally, I think it is time for Press to try his wings elsewhere.  Maybe his brother has a spot. I also think we will see Jason Avant back as a WR coach somewhere. 

30 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

To compete for what?    To win this crappy division?   Sure.  To compete for a Super Bowl championship?   yeah, that might be a stretch.  A great QB can take a team with dreck to the playoffs, but the lack of talent on the rest of the roster will have a really hard time competing in the playoffs.  

Well this team won a Super Bowl without repeated top 10 picks.  I mean they had one top ten pick in 2012 and another in 2016.  The Chiefs won last season without repeated top 10 picks because they had a franchise QB.  The team can develop sufficient talent for long-term success without repeated top 10 picks.  There is no real tanking to win long-term strategy needed for football.  It's a team sport and besides the QB one player doesn't make or break a roster.  Additionally, there is a definite dynamic to a losing culture that is hard to overcome.   I mean the current franchise in Cleveland is essentially making the playoffs for the first time.  They have had probably more top 10 picks than any other franchise over the last 20 seasons.  It's not a good thing for long-term success.  

30 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I think you're right and it's exactly why racial bias has lingered and played a role in hiring.  

But they are doing it wrong... you can't force it to happen.  You can't incentivize it.  But, you can take a long hard look at the cause and try to fix that.   

34 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think it was Mario Lemiuex who said when he was on the ice, it was like everybody else was in slow motion and he found the game easy. How the hell do you coach that? 

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I think it was Mario Lemiuex who said when he was on the ice, it was like everybody else was in slow motion and he found the game easy. How the hell do you coach that? 

You don't.  It's called the reverse Ben Simmons.

14 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Mentioned him earlier, and a couple times over the past couple years. Felton catches the ball well, and makes guys miss. In some other videos, he has this stop on a dime cut/juke that is nearly McCoy level (similar to Mack). Extremely dangerous in space because of his elisiveness. This guy is your Marlon Mack if Sirianni wants to replicate that player on this team. 

Highlights look like Huntley’s last year.  Eagles need a 215 pound back not a 185 pound one.

13 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Highlights look like Huntley’s last year.  Eagles need a 215 pound back not a 185 pound one.

Colts have Hines at 5'9'' under 200lbs

Mack is your average sized back kind of like Sanders

And then they have a physical freak in Jonathan Taylor. 

We have Sanders. We dont have a good hammer, and we dont have a good pass catching back. Huntley doesnt factor in to a discussion for me. 

Felton is 5'9'' 185 (probably will be heavier at pro day). Hes a great pass catching back. He would be like our version of Hines. And hes better than Huntley. 

1 minute ago, phil77 said:

LOL PRO BOWL 

Brandon Lee Gowton and Bleedinggreennation are a cesspool of poorly written negativity.   Brutal over there.  Stopped going there last week.  My word of the day: insufferable. 

34 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Damn...I just heard about Hammerin Hank.  RIP.  Tough month for Baseball Legends...

So much easier to root for a guy like him to break the babe's record than it is for theses steroid freaks of today

13 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

@hputenis 

Had Chipotle last night and it’s destroyed me all day. I think I used half a roll of TP just today. Got steak instead of chicken. Maybe that’s why my toilet trips were tripled. Crazy. 

:roll:

I just started ordering their new carne asada that's seasoned, but I never get their regular steak.  It's usually chicken for me.  The toilet trips for me are 100% credited to their tomatillo hot-red salsa.  Mt. Vesuvius's erupting lava heat has nothing on my ass the morning after a cup of that salsa.  I'll probably get some tonight.  

56 minutes ago, austinfan said:

would anyone consider McNabb for a coaching spot?

You were obviously implying this would be a bad idea, but these are still the worst words you have ever typed.

Interesting note: 

The Eagles have not officially announced Sirianni yet. Been like a full day. 

8 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Interesting note: 

The Eagles have not officially announced Sirianni yet. Been like a full day. 

They have been tight lipped the whole process. All the other teams announced publicly when interviews were conducted and finished. Not a peep out of the Eagles.

9 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Well this team won a Super Bowl without repeated top 10 picks.  I mean they had one top ten pick in 2012 and another in 2016.  The Chiefs won last season without repeated top 10 picks because they had a franchise QB.  The team can develop sufficient talent for long-term success without repeated top 10 picks.  There is no real tanking to win long-term strategy needed for football.  It's a team sport and besides the QB one player doesn't make or break a roster.  Additionally, there is a definite dynamic to a losing culture that is hard to overcome.   I mean the current franchise in Cleveland is essentially making the playoffs for the first time.  They have had probably more top 10 picks than any other franchise over the last 20 seasons.  It's not a good thing for long-term success.  

They did have multiple top 10 picks... Johnson and Wentz, and Cox should have been.   But, also other higher draft picks than the 20s, which is where a playoff birth would put them.  Graham was 13, Barnett 14.  I'd rather they not have to trade up to get into the teens.  But, rather they be in a position to move back and get more talent in some drafts.

I'm not talking about 'tanking'.  I'm talking about removing old and expensive pieces all at once and ripping it down to the studs (they really don't have any left to build around)... and if they just do enough to get under the cap, rather than truly stripping it down and letting the young guys develop, then they are doing it wrong.  The thought of playoffs should not be a part of the thought process of roster building for 2021.   The thought should be about finding that sustainable core to build around... a group of players that will be here in 2023 and beyond.  

Guys like Cox, Graham, McLeod, Brooks, Johnson, Slay, Kelce, Ertz, Ward.... frankly, none of these guys should be back, but some will have to be back due to salary cap restrictions.  Wentz should be gone too, except that he's a QB, and a 29 year old QB could still have a solid 5+ years left... if the other parts of the team around him are in place.  

Archived