EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Eagles will be bad in 2021 and fix their cap situation and be "fine" in 2022. 

Agreed and we need another top 10 pick anyway.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely will be taking a break for sure. I'm taking a year off from watching the Eagles. It's been a few years coming. Need to rant though, it's very cathartic. 🤕

Part of Sam Hinkie's genius - also part of why so many fans plus NBA owners hated his "process" - was figuring out the path of rebuilding among several routes that maximized draft value AND cap space value. The NBA's CBA makes the latter much more relevant, but the Eagles' cap problems severely limit their flexibility to make trades, sign FA's, etc, that I think the dynamics are similar. So Eagles need to get worse before they get better, which could also mean much higher draft order in the coming drafts. Again, the dynamic seems roughly similar.

42 minutes ago, Michaels maniacs said:

Can't we make a black and white thread and get this bulls... off of this one

Why? If you look at the facts it’s kinda hard to dismiss. 

What makes Sirianni more qualified than Staley? Duce has payed his dues to this team as a player as a coach. He has just as much EXP as Sirianni probably more. 

The Rooney rule was put In place to give minorities a chance to prove themselves without being passed over. Duce has been an awesome Soldier for this franchise and was looked over why? 

4 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Part of Sam Hinkie's genius - also part of why so many fans plus NBA owners hated his "process" - was figuring out the path of rebuilding among several routes that maximized draft value AND cap space value. The NBA's CBA makes the latter much more relevant, but the Eagles' cap problems severely limit their flexibility to make trades, sign FA's, etc, that I think the dynamics are similar. So Eagles need to get worse before they get better, which could also mean much higher draft order in the coming drafts. Again, the dynamic seems roughly similar.

Stopped reading at Sam Hinkie’s genius 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I think Mailata has shown that he can be that LT for the now and the future.  I think Herbig showed he can become a good guard down the line. Miles Sanders and Goedert are obviously talented.  At WR I'm still a big believer in Reagor's talent and I think Watkins showed something.  Hightower I have never been that high on but he showed he can make catches down the field (and drop them too).  Ward I think has proven himself as a very dependable possession slot WR. There are young guys there that can be developed. 

The most important cornerstone player on offense though is QB.  That might be what we are missing but we will see if Sirianni can salvage Wentz. 

Sanders and Goedert so far haven't been reliable with health.

I think the team still needs a #1 WR. They've messed it up so much

2 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

What makes Sirianni more qualified than Staley? Duce has payed his dues to this team as a player as a coach. He has just as much EXP as Sirianni probably more. 

The Rooney rule was put In place to give minorities a chance to prove themselves without being passed over. Duce has been an awesome Soldier for this franchise and was looked over why? 

I believe it is because he is TOO close to the organization..the FO "braintrust" looks like they decided to get a fresh start and perspective....it is wise for Duce to do the same and add new experiences.

3 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Had to look up legal issues. He got a DUI 20 years ago. The rest was stuff that happened in the late 80s/early 90s. Owners will sign players who admittedly beat the crap out of women. His legal issues has nothing to do with it. 

Perhaps he does interview poorly and ultimately may be a poor head coach but there have been way less qualified candidates who get opportunities. Yes, life’s not fair and playing the race card 9/10 times is usually ridiculous. However, I have a tough time arguing against anyone claiming he’d be a HC if he were white.

There’s no way to know that for sure but interviewing poorly and legal issues seem like BS. 

Players and coaches are totally different. One is management, the other isn’t. How many coaches get hired with fights and drinking issues in their past?

Think of it from an owner’s perspective. You’re going to spend millions of dollars to hire a guy to run the operations aspect of your billion dollar company and be the face of the franchise to the public. Hiring an OC with no HC experience is a risk. Hiring a guy with drinking issues is a risk. Hiring a guy with legal problems in his past is a risk. Hiring a guy who’s claim to fame is being an OC under AR and PM is a risk. Hiring a guy who is unimpressive in interviews is a risk.

That’s a lot of risks. One or two of them you can overlook, and ultimately most candidates will have some negatives attached to them. All of those risks together in one package makes for a poor candidate.

1 minute ago, aptosbird said:

I believe it is because he is TOO close to the organization..the FO "braintrust" looks like they decided to get a fresh start and perspective....it is wise for Duce to do the same and add new experiences.

See I'm just not sure I buy that. Howie and Lurie seem to want to control things so I'm not sure they really want this fresh start. If Lurie wanted a fresh start he'd have moved Howie on too.

If they want to "fix” Wentz, step 1 is going to be getting a real #1. They better draft chase if they can.

1 minute ago, aptosbird said:

But is it really a fresh start? They got the guy who is under the same coaching tree as the guy they fired. Listen to most of the comparisons about Sirianni and it’s the same. They call him Doug with a fastball. Basically he can yell at players where as Doug was not that type. 

I mean think about it. Doug’s OC became coach and now that guys OC is his replacement? It’s pretty darn close. 

36 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

For the college football guys, what's the assessment on Dylan Moses? I've seen a few mocks have him going in the first, most seem to have him going in the 2nd. If we pass on Parsons in the first, is he a viable target in the 2nd for us? 

Not yet back to the player he once was.

Would be a gamble, and IMO Eagles are unlikely risk him in R2. 

9 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

He interviewed, and wasn't the best candidate it would appear.

What's the alternative? That Lurie is a racist who would never hire a black coach (which he's already done in the past)?

Just because a guy has been on the staff and "paid his dues" doesn't mean he deserves to be promoted to HC. That's not how any of this works. This isn't the mafia. 

2 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Stopped reading at Sam Hinkie’s genius 

Glad I saved you some time.

His genius, in my view, was exploring every avenue of competitive edge made available by the CBA (the rules of the game, if you will). Howie can do something similar while thinking carefully about the order of operations to take towards fixing their cap, maximizing trades, and rebuilding virtually every position group on the roster.

1 minute ago, jwill2420 said:

But is it really a fresh start? They got the guy who is under the same coaching tree as the guy they fired. Listen to most of the comparisons about Sirianni and it’s the same. They call him Doug with a fastball. Basically he can yell at players where as Doug was not that type. 

I mean think about it. Doug’s OC became coach and now that guys OC is his replacement? It’s pretty darn close. 

and yet it is not....

7 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

Balderdash.  Duce has been RB coach since 2013; he hasn’t branched out or expanded his qualifications.  RB is devalued position on the field and in the coaching ranks.  Time for Duce to fly:

Doug had little experience in coaching, quality control 2 years, QB coach 2 years, AR's OC 3 years.

Whereas Sirianni has been quality control, WRs coach for years, QB coach, Reich's OC 3 years. Coached for longer and different positions.

Doug, like Reich, had hands on experience as a NFL QB.

I suspect Sirianni had more responsibility as the OC for Reich than Doug, AR had already been coaching for a decade and has always been a micro-manager. And that's why Bieniemy needs to go elsewhere as an OC, to get out of AR's shadow.

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I'm just not sure I buy that. Howie and Lurie seem to want to control things so I'm not sure they really want this fresh start. If Lurie wanted a fresh start he'd have moved Howie on too.

If they wanted to control things they would have just kept Doug, promoted Press and ran it all back.

Field Yates really believes in Sirianni FWIW. Knows him personally.

Not that he'd talk trash about a guy he knows, but he likes him nonetheless.

He said keep an eye on Gannon for DC.

4 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Glad I saved you some time.

His genius, in my view, was exploring every avenue of competitive edge made available by the CBA (the rules of the game, if you will). Howie can do something similar while thinking carefully about the order of operations to take towards fixing their cap, maximizing trades, and rebuilding virtually every position group on the roster.

Which was basically lose as much as humanely possibly to get really high picks and he didn’t do that well either. There’s a reason he’s not in sports anymore. 

Just now, austinfan said:

Doug had little experience in coaching, quality control 2 years, QB coach 2 years, AR's OC 3 years.

Whereas Sirianni has been quality control, WRs coach for years, QB coach, Reich's OC 3 years. Coached for longer and different positions.

Doug, like Reich, had hands on experience as a NFL QB.

I suspect Sirianni had more responsibility as the OC for Reich than Doug, AR had already been coaching for a decade and has always been a micro-manager. And that's why Bieniemy needs to go elsewhere as an OC, to get out of AR's shadow.

When you hit that professional ceiling, you need to be self-aware enough to go and get the fresh experience and perspective....especially for Duce who has gone as far as he is going to go with the Eagles for now...Bienemy has his writing on the wall as well

13 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

Doug 2.0?

23 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

I never want to hire a coach no matter his race because he’s "paid his dues.”  That’s about the worst reason to hire someone.    Jeff Stoutland has "paid his dues” and produced far more than Duce has as a coach.  No one ever says he should be a head coach.  

Real curious to see the OC and DC.  Also curious about retentions not named Stoutland.  Stoutland should be a must.  

Archived