EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, TEW said:

There is no way he’s winning 8 games in a full rebuild year unless he’s playing so well we ought to keep him.

So he wins 6, its the same problem.  To get to a good QB will take a trade up and a bunch of resources.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm on lunch now so I have some time so I went ahead and broke down the numbers for you so it's not just me blowing smoke up your ass by saying something without providing the number backup.

Wentz in 11 & 3/4 games as QB: 223 passing yards per game, 1.4 TD passes per game, 1.3 interceptions per game, 24.5 rushing yards per game, 0.4 rushing TDs per game.

Hurts in 4 games as QB: 257 passing yards per game, 1.5 TD passes per game, 1 interceptions per game, 75.3 rushing yards per game, 0.8 rushing TDs per game.

So in every statistical area outside of completion percentage you had a 2nd round rookie QB who had no luxury of experience in preseason out performing a 5 year veteran.   

I really don't know how you can say that Wentz was better last year than Hurts.  

Actually, Wentz played 11.5 games and Hurts played 4.5 games since Hurts came in on just the 2nd O series in the 2nd half.

You conveniently forgot to include fumbles, which would be Wentz with 0.87/game and Hurts with 2.0/game (that's a significant difference).  You also forgot to include some context.  Numbers are fine, but they need some context.  Wentz played behind a DIFFERENT OL combination each of his games while by the time Hurts started they had a more solidified OL for him to play behind.

If you're going to use stats/numbers then you have to be fair to both sides and not cherry pick the ones that prove your argument or leave out context. 

Hurts is going to be the QB in 2021.  They've painted themselves into a corner on that by taking the biggest dead cap hit in NFL history by trading the supposed franchise QB that they gave (what was then) the most guaranteed money to and considering all the picks they gave up to draft him.  Now they're suddenly clued in that they need to surround their QB with the best talent they can to help him be successful?  Yeah, none of this is Hurts fault, but just because someone doesn't think he can be a playoff/SB winning QB doesn't mean that person hates him.  And seeing as how you had an irrational hatred of Foles then you're the last one who should be calling others out for hating on a player since you simply have zero credibility in that area.

55 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

There's been an insane amount of commercials during games now. They'll even do a split screen commercial with the game. They've also gone overboard and been late to coming back to the actual game and so we miss a play

yep, and it’s happening in other sports too, like auto racing.

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

Actually, Wentz played 11.5 games and Hurts played 4.5 games since Hurts came in on just the 2nd O series in the 2nd half.

You conveniently forgot to include fumbles, which would be Wentz with 0.87/game and Hurts with 2.0/game (that's a significant difference).  You also forgot to include some context.  Numbers are fine, but they need some context.  Wentz played behind a DIFFERENT OL combination each of his games while by the time Hurts started they had a more solidified OL for him to play behind.

If you're going to use stats/numbers then you have to be fair to both sides and not cherry pick the ones that prove your argument or leave out context. 

Hurts is going to be the QB in 2021.  They've painted themselves into a corner on that by taking the biggest dead cap hit in NFL history by trading the supposed franchise QB that they gave (what was then) the most guaranteed money to and considering all the picks they gave up to draft him.  Now they're suddenly clued in that they need to surround their QB with the best talent they can to help him be successful?  Yeah, none of this is Hurts fault, but just because someone doesn't think he can be a playoff/SB winning QB doesn't mean that person hates him.  And seeing as how you had an irrational hatred of Foles then you're the last one who should be calling others out for hating on a player since you simply have zero credibility in that area.

Readjusted for 11.5 games for Wentz and 4.25  games for Hurts

Wentz: 227.8 passing YPG,  1.4 TD passes per game, 1.3 interceptions per game, 24 rushing YPG, 0.4 rushing TDs per game and 0.3 fumbles lost per game.

Hurts: 241.9 passing YPG, 1.4 TD passes per game, 0.9 interceptions per game, 70.8 rushing YPG, 0.7 rushing TDs per game and 0.5 fumbles lost per game.  

2nd round rookie QB with no preseason still better than the 5 year veteran.  Absolutely pathetic for Wentz. 

I didn't have irrational hate for Foles.  I just knew he was a journeyman backup QB and not a QB to build around and not a QB to keep over Wentz.  I didn't make this determination after his rookie year but after he had already been in the league for many years up to that point.  

I dont read that report about building around Hurts as Lurie being sold on him as the QB of the future. More that he’s committed to the process of finding out if he is

20 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

I dont read that report about building around Hurts as Lurie being sold on him as the QB of the future. More that he’s committed to the process of finding out if he is

And like H.E. says the weapons would still be here if Hurts isn't the answer

Guest justrelax
1 minute ago, greend said:

Yep. It's frightening how much I agree with H.E. these days. Must be the new Blog because I'm sure not getting smarter in my dotage.

4 minutes ago, greend said:

Yup. 

I also agree with those that say Lurie is letting Howie’s plan play out...and will be held to the consequences. 

after all, Howie is the one that started this ball rolling with drafting Hurts in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Yep. It's frightening how much I agree with H.E. these days. Must be the new Blog because I'm sure not getting smarter in my dotage.

He'll veer away at some point

1 minute ago, purplefiggy said:

Yup. 

I also agree with those that say Lurie is letting Howie’s plan play out...and will be held to the consequences. 

after all, Howie is the one that started this ball rolling with drafting Hurts in the first place. 

My fear is there will be no consequences 

Chip Kelley didn't get a chance to fix his mess

2 minutes ago, greend said:

Well, nobody left to blame now except Howie. I guess we shall see

Hope everyone is well.

Everything stinks with this team currently and it starts at the top.

Lurie seems to be more Jerry Jones like as the years go by.

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I like them but thought this was funny B175F382-1C39-4623-9DCA-644A3EB97EB5.thumb.jpeg.9f4e50f4ca24eaf081c72ae581199717.jpeg

I mean honestly, nobody really does care.

1 minute ago, greend said:

I mean honestly, nobody really does care.

I don't watch college ball so it kind of gives me an idea of who should be where

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't watch college ball so it kind of gives me an idea of who should be where

That's why I play

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not sure if it’s been covered, since I was driving all day.  But just the fact that the Eagles leaked they won’t be in the market for a QB at #6 is all I need to see how f-ing clueless Lurie is with football ops.  Now if a team at 7 or 8 who wants a QB, knows we aren’t a threat to take one at 6.  Which hurts our position if we do want to trade down with one of those teams.   I’m not even getting into Lurie meddling BS.   My heads gonna explode over that.  

I think the point is we really do want one. Emphasis on I think.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not sure if it’s been covered, since I was driving all day.  But just the fact that the Eagles leaked they won’t be in the market for a QB at #6 is all I need to see how f-ing clueless Lurie is with football ops.  Now if a team at 7 or 8 who wants a QB, knows we aren’t a threat to take one at 6.  Which hurts our position if we do want to trade down with one of those teams.   I’m not even getting into Lurie meddling BS.   My heads gonna explode over that.  

What would you rather

Sitting at 6 with no QB's left on the board because everyone jumped ahead of you to take one - or sitting at 6 with 3 of the Top QB's still on the board because everyone figured they only had to get to 7 for the QB they want? 

It's March - nothing really matters until draft day and the Eagles are on the clock.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yup, I think it strengthens that they actually want a QB at #6

Or this

15 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You can also look at it as if the Eagles are NOT interested in a QB, then teams would know that is a team they can trade with to move up to take a QB. Teams then know the Panthers possibly even Lions want a QB, lets move up with the Eagles since QB is not a want for them. If teams thought we wanted a QB, they may just try and jump the Eagles. Just another way to look at it. 

With Hurts, being in the building will give you a better read on him than what we can glean from the media and social media. If he nailed his exit interview and has acted as a leader since then, you have to be at least intrigued to see what he can do as the no 1 QB. By all means, get a veteran in, get a draft pick in, etc, but in a year where it will be hard coz of previous sins, see what you have.

Of course, going QB up high will be an option too.  I can certainly understand why Lurie would be intrigued and want a deeper look.

if no CBs are taken at 6, the team could trade back to say, 15, and still get either Farley or Surtain. Trading back could ALSO land us Asante jr. But there are other ways to use that extra pick for trading back. 2 CBs would be sublime for this team as Slay is good but will cost us, and we sure af need solid backups there. We'd then have our 2, 2 3s, and 2 5s. We could trade up as necessary to get whoever slips; Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, LB, oline or WR probably.

I don't see WR or Kyle Pitts(with 3 good TEs already) as a position of dire need as some. That's because I don't already hate every Howie draft pick from last year and think all our WRs suck, just because Carson gave up on the season early and then tried 'splainin away' his FU attitude once the money was finalized. How it was the Hurts pick, then it was the city...that's just BS. He gave up, largely because he realized with that money, he COULD. Bradford taught him something at least.

I don't assume Lurie is in love with Hurts. I think they will draft a QB. I don't think there are any 1st round QBs worth the investment over Hurts, and that's thanks to Howie who saw the opportunity to get a 1st round QB in the 2nd last year.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Exactly.  And it’s also to not have the QB factory line, blow up in their face.   

Dang, I guess you weren't driving those East Texas red clay backroads today.  A flurry of P&V.

22 minutes ago, greend said:

Even if Howie gets them out of cap hell, which I believe was directed to a degree of an owner wanting another ring, I have to believe that Lurie does read the "reviews” and is aware of Howie’s failings in drafting.  If Dillard doesn’t provide a starting LT status, and even if Hurts succeeds, if Wentz is better for Reich than Hurts plays here, and if Reagor flops on the heels of JJAW and Taylor never develops, then Howie may be gone through his own failures.  As I see it he was a 3 level employee, meets expectations, who lucked into a 4 (partially exceeds acceptable performance)in 2017 that in hindsight to that draft was really still at best a 3 with the draft as a 2 and in 2018 delivered a 3 draft followed by a 2 and last year, quite possibly another 2. Now we don’t know what input the coaches had and what counseling Howie got but he is facing a situation where he has to hope last year rises to at least a 3 and this year picking better, he probably needs a 4 or 5 to avoid this being his last draft.

27 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Not really.  Look at those ranking records and how the players actually pan out.  

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You’re out of your mind if you think Lurie would let that information out there to try and swerve other teams.  I’ve heard that Lurie wanted to draft Hurts.  No chance they take a QB at 6 now.  No way.  Which is fine. I’m ok with running with Hurts and seeing what he has.  But you don’t let that leak out.  Not before the draft.  F-ing dumb.  

It's dumber to tell teams that option is completely off your board for no reason. 

Archived