EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

I like Pitts, I just wouldn't take him over  Chase at 6, plus this team needs too much I fear so I'm on team trade back almost regardless of who is there, within reason. Start to rebuild this dreck of a defense, add a high end interior o-lineman, maybe go offensive weapon in round 3. 

its a sound strategy. People will freak out if we dont go WR round one, but a small move back to get Slater or Farley while adding another high pick would be very smart

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I think Sewell, Pitts and/or Chase will go dropping 1 or 2 QBs to us. 

Im ok with Lance, and if 2qbs are sitting at 6 it could get us some trade stock

i agree. if Wilson is there we will get more, but Lance could net us something nice in a trade back

I’m the last person that thinks Hurts is anything more than a high end backup but clearing cap space and getting the best player possible at 6 is the right move given the state of the team. 

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

They probably saw how much of a disaster the handling of their last young QB went that this time Lurie decides to see what happens if they actually support the young QB instead of trying to undermine. 

We are a complete dumpster fire. Even when we make what *I think* are the right decisions, we do it the wrong way which basically guarantees that our good decisions aren’t sustainable.

Lurie's Howie blind-spot is a significant problem.

Yet calling Lurie Jerry Jones is absurd. The Cowboys have 3 playoff wins since 1996 and they hired Mike McCarthy because he's friends with Jerry Jones. It's just not the same.

34 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Jeffrey Lurie

Jeffrrey Juries

Jefrrey Jurnes

Jerrey Jornes

Jerry Jones

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

Yet calling Lurie Jerry Jones is absurd. The Cowboys have 3 playoff wins since 1996 and they hired Mike McCarthy because he's friends with Jerry Jones. It's just not the same.

It's getting there...

18 minutes ago, RLC said:

It's not as far off as you think. 

Could be that Howie being Lurie's "blind spot" might be because he doesn't stand in his way.

2 hours ago, greend said:

Would be sorry to see him go. He's one of my favorite Eagles players and a genuine tough guy.

Yup.

Really like the guy, but this is part of the business unfortunately. Get him to a contender, get a decent pick in return, and wish him well.

45 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Maybe putting this information out there is the Eagles way of signalling to other teams that pick #6 is available for trade heading into the draft.  If you don’t want a QB you should be telling everyone you love these QBs, so other teams will trade in front of you and force the non-QBs down to you.

9 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yup.

Really like the guy, but this is part of the business unfortunately. Get him to a contender, get a decent pick in return, and wish him well.

I have a feeling that the team could be sellers at the deadline and they may get a better return on these players.  

This paragraph shows the Eagles are just a hot mess.  I don't want them to draft a QB at 6 but someone tell me what Jalen Hurts did to warrant no competition? 

All the Wentz haters were saying he needs to suck it up and compete for his job, despite a solid 4-year career that leads me to believe 2020 was an off year and not the norm.

But now Lurie doesn't even want Hurts to compete with a veteran, another rookie or even the unstoppable Nate Sudfeld?  It makes no sense whatsoever and if true, I don't blame Carson one bit for wanting to be out of this mess.  So Lurie wants to build the best team he can around Hurts and help him be successful.  Why wouldn't you do that for Carson, you know the guy you traded about 6 draft picks for and gave $120 million to?  

Then just another jab to show us again they had Jefferson rated higher than Reagor but wanted his speed.....kill me now. 

MORTENSEN: "Yes, Jalen Hurts is the guy. Jeffrey Lurie, the owner of the Eagles, has basically sent the message to his personnel department and Howie Roseman that he wants to do everything he can to help Jalen Hurts be successful and NOT bring in somebody to compete for the job. Now, they have a new head coach in Nick Sirianni, he understands what the owner wants, the owner gets. And I might remind people on this one: last year, the owner was in favor of drafting Jalen Hurts. That created a ripple effect. But one thing that happened with the Eagles, screams to me, why Ja’Marr Chase should be in play with this pick, is that they did not stay true to their draft board. And their personnel department has a lot of Ozzie Newsome disciples from Baltimore. Ozzie always stays true to the draft board. Somehow, they got off the draft board and at No. 21 they took Jalen Reagor, the wide receiver, instead of Justin Jefferson, who had a higher grade on the Eagles’ board. How do you explain that? We don’t have enough time. But Jalen Hurts is the quarterback for this year, they don’t want to bring in competition for him.”

1 hour ago, greendestiny27 said:

Not with Howie/Lurie calling the shots I fear 

It took Howie, what, 3 years from his last rebuild to super bowl?

Thats an aggressive time table for sure, but 3 years to have a double digit win team is something Howie is perfectly capable of achieving. He’s done it before. He can do it again.

A lot will come down to Hurts. I don’t think he’s the long term solution at QB, but if he’s the guy, then maybe 2 years.

man I am really starting to get Jerry Jones Vibes with Lurrie lately... I don't feel so good...

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

This paragraph shows the Eagles are just a hot mess.  I don't want them to draft a QB at 6 but someone tell me what Jalen Hurts did to warrant no competition? 

All the Wentz haters were saying he needs to suck it up and compete for his job, despite a solid 4-year career that leads me to believe 2020 was an off year and not the norm.

But now Lurie doesn't even want Hurts to compete with a veteran, another rookie or even the unstoppable Nate Sudfeld?  It makes no sense whatsoever and if true, I don't blame Carson one bit for wanting to be out of this mess.  So Lurie wants to build the best team he can around Hurts and help him be successful.  Why wouldn't you do that for Carson, you know the guy you traded about 6 draft picks for and gave $120 million to?  

Then just another jab to show us again they had Jefferson rated higher than Reagor but wanted his speed.....kill me now. 

MORTENSEN: "Yes, Jalen Hurts is the guy. Jeffrey Lurie, the owner of the Eagles, has basically sent the message to his personnel department and Howie Roseman that he wants to do everything he can to help Jalen Hurts be successful and NOT bring in somebody to compete for the job. Now, they have a new head coach in Nick Sirianni, he understands what the owner wants, the owner gets. And I might remind people on this one: last year, the owner was in favor of drafting Jalen Hurts. That created a ripple effect. But one thing that happened with the Eagles, screams to me, why Ja’Marr Chase should be in play with this pick, is that they did not stay true to their draft board. And their personnel department has a lot of Ozzie Newsome disciples from Baltimore. Ozzie always stays true to the draft board. Somehow, they got off the draft board and at No. 21 they took Jalen Reagor, the wide receiver, instead of Justin Jefferson, who had a higher grade on the Eagles’ board. How do you explain that? We don’t have enough time. But Jalen Hurts is the quarterback for this year, they don’t want to bring in competition for him.”

We are F'ed.

2 minutes ago, Sturm said:

man I am really starting to get Jerry Jones Vibes with Lurrie lately... I don't feel so good...

It's about time people (not blaming you or anything just using your post as an example) start to realize that Jeff Lurie is potentially a big issue.,  Some of us on here pointed it out months ago and people just immediately tear the opinion to shreds based off of the last 20 years.  If you look at the recent trends, all signs point to Lurie being a big problem. 

3 hours ago, RLC said:

Oh wow. Didnt think the Eagles had the stomach to do this.

We save cap space by trading him and save 17M-16M-17M in 2022/2023/2024 if we do that. I'm in. 

Only provides a cap savings this year of 1.498 million.  Not worth it to weaken the line if they really think Hurts is the guy and want to put him in a position to succeed.

Also increases the dead cap number this year to 50.25 million.   27% of our cap space this year would be dead money if Brooks is traded.

That is absolutely pathetic cap management by @austinfan's hero.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Only provides a cap savings this year of 1.498 million.  Not worth it to weaken the line if they really think Hurts is the guy and want to put him in a position to succeed.

Also increases the dead cap number this year to 50.25 million.   27% of our cap space this year would be dead money if Brooks is traded.

That is absolutely pathetic cap management by @austinfan's hero.

It sucks for sure.  We just need to accept the fact that the Eagles are eating ridiculous amounts of dead money this year.  

I think we have to look at it this way though.  The Eagles have their starting quarterback for $1.3 million.  Not many teams can say that.  I'm not proud of this or boasting about it, just trying to even things out.

If the savings on Brooks over the next few years are that large and it still saves them $1.5 this year then I'm OK with it.  I'd rather minimal savings this year than kicking the can with even more veterans.  

This is the mess Howie made and Lurie supported.  We have to deal with it.

33 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

this makes my soul hurt

Archived