20-20 Hindsight

Procus

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Here's the poster.  Have you now learned that you can't believe the drivel that McLane writes?  He's a drama queen.

The irony of that poster is that Howie went and paid the players for the past wins, not the future wins.  Paying for past performances is bad management.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The irony of that poster is that Howie went and paid the players for the past wins, not the future wins.  Paying for past performances is bad management.

100%.  IIRC, Phillies were guilty of similar malfeasance after their WS win

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, Procus said:

In the afterglow of the SB victory, supposing instead of some of the boneheaded front office moves:  The Eagles trade Carson Wentz for a kings ransom instead of extending him, keeps Nick Foles on the roster for a reasonable salary, calls a timeout in New Orleans at 4th and 1 when the Saints are punting and everyone and his mother knew it would be a fake, the team never trades a 3rd for Golden Tate, never trades a 4th for Generd Avery, drafts Justin Jefferson, never extends Alshon Jeffery - could go on and on

But oh how that Wentz extension turned the fortunes of this organization on its heels.  If Howie had struck at the right time and moved Wentz instead of extending him, the future for the Eagles could have been very bright.

And George Bailey would be our starting MLB and Mr. Potter would be at WR...and still have more catches than JJAW 

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Howie boldly posting his best offensive and defensive draft picks. 

9 hours ago, Procus said:

Here's the poster.  Have you now learned that you can't believe the drivel that McLane writes?  He's a drama queen.

Was this picture supposed to disprove what McLane said? That's a giant poster, it takes up half a wall. If you want to argue that it isn't literally life size because it isn't 6'5 then I guess that's inaccurate. But the guy has a giant fathead on his wall like a grade schooler 

I hate Philly sports media but he wasn't exaggerating anything.

27 minutes ago, devpool said:

Was this picture supposed to disprove what McLane said? That's a giant poster, it takes up half a wall. If you want to argue that it isn't literally life size because it isn't 6'5 then I guess that's inaccurate. But the guy has a giant fathead on his wall like a grade schooler 

I think the point people are making is that it isn't like he has a life size Carson Wentz poster and nothing else. Fletch is up there and there are other (albeit smaller) photos up there too. The point being McLane didn't exactly make it up but he did exaggerate things.

40 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the point people are making is that it isn't like he has a life size Carson Wentz poster and nothing else. Fletch is up there and there are other (albeit smaller) photos up there too. The point being McLane didn't exactly make it up but he did exaggerate things.

Idk, i guess i wasn't reading it that way. He didn't exaggerate anything, he literally has a life size poster.

The difference between the two would be that fletch doesn't have any kind of god complex like it's been reported by many others that wentz has, so having a poster of him is irrelevant.

What we actually ought to do is just change all the play calls retroactively. They would def be 19-0 if every call was exactly right. 

15 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No I didn't see it but, the gm shouldn't have a picture or poster of any one player at all. 

Because people's feelings will get hurt? 

The mistake was locking Wentz up for a big contract that he hadn't earned, they should've taken his 5th year option (would've been this year) and seen if he could have a season without injury, then tagged and negotiated the big one, or having watched this years horrors say thank you very much and goodnight. 

Wentz' entire tenure outside 2017 has been characterised by massive over hyping of ordinary stats, culminating in last year where people went bananas that he'd broken 4000 yards because we could add the meaningless caveat that he did it without a receiver breaking 500yards, never mind that all it meant was that receivers #1 and #2 were injured for most of the season and Howie drafted a genuinely stand out bust in round 2.

Kirk Cousins has broken 4000 yards 5 years out of 6 he's been a QB1, including 3 years straight at Washington where 'one good season' Pierre Garcon was #1 WR, Justin Herbert broke 4000 yards this year in his rookie season, ~ 4000 yards is the minimum expectation of a good QB now, you want to see a young QB improving year on year look at Josh Allen, he's trending up, learning, getting better and smarter with the football every year, something which Wentz absolutely has not done, he's the same guy making the same throws he was making 3 years ago, but now he doesn't have receivers to bail him out of inaccurate throws, he has old broken down guys and walk ons that can catch something that hit's them in the numbers but aren't making  the difficult ones any more.

Best guess with Wentz is that we let him go in a Tannehill to the Titans style trade year after next, maybe someone fancies it as a reclamation project, but I don't see him returning as unquestioned starter here next year, the fact that we have so much money tied up and sheer grim curiousity is the only reason he's still here at this point.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, devpool said:

Did you READ what McLane wrote, and the context within which it was stated?

20 minutes ago, NOTW said:

In hindsight, opening this topic was a waste of time.

Watching football and commenting on football is a waste of time.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:07 AM, Sturm said:

These are to painful for me because I have been saying all off season in 2018 to trade Carson for 3 firsts (maybe or 2 at best) and keep foles cus the dude was going to be cheaper. He was a better fit for our locker room.

You all thought I was crazy..

I still am..

but Crazy people are right sometimes.

I was curious to venture outside the blog and I definitely regret it.  This tops the dumbest, biggest load of horsesheet posts I’ve ever seen. Congrats sir! 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I was curious to venture outside the blog and I definitely regret it.  This tops the dumbest, biggest load of horsesheet posts I’ve ever seen. Congrats sir! 

That is why I don't value your opinion!

Welcome to the growing list of ignore users who still think Carson is the answer!

15 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The mistake was locking Wentz up for a big contract that he hadn't earned, they should've taken his 5th year option (would've been this year) and seen if he could have a season without injury, then tagged and negotiated the big one, or having watched this years horrors say thank you very much and goodnight. 

Wentz' entire tenure outside 2017 has been characterised by massive over hyping of ordinary stats, culminating in last year where people went bananas that he'd broken 4000 yards because we could add the meaningless caveat that he did it without a receiver breaking 500yards, never mind that all it meant was that receivers #1 and #2 were injured for most of the season and Howie drafted a genuinely stand out bust in round 2.

Kirk Cousins has broken 4000 yards 5 years out of 6 he's been a QB1, including 3 years straight at Washington where 'one good season' Pierre Garcon was #1 WR, Justin Herbert broke 4000 yards this year in his rookie season, ~ 4000 yards is the minimum expectation of a good QB now, you want to see a young QB improving year on year look at Josh Allen, he's trending up, learning, getting better and smarter with the football every year, something which Wentz absolutely has not done, he's the same guy making the same throws he was making 3 years ago, but now he doesn't have receivers to bail him out of inaccurate throws, he has old broken down guys and walk ons that can catch something that hit's them in the numbers but aren't making  the difficult ones any more.

Best guess with Wentz is that we let him go in a Tannehill to the Titans style trade year after next, maybe someone fancies it as a reclamation project, but I don't see him returning as unquestioned starter here next year, the fact that we have so much money tied up and sheer grim curiousity is the only reason he's still here at this point.  

Just too much common sense here to ignore. 

15 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Best guess with Wentz is that we let him go in a Tannehill to the Titans style trade year after next

Speaking of hindsight, that doesn't look to good for the Dolphins now does it?

3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Speaking of hindsight, that doesn't look to good for the Dolphins now does it?

Neither did Tannehill two years ago, maybe Wentz does the same as Tannehill and kicks on somewhere else, players and coaches can improve in new situations and it doesn't mean the original move was wrong, Andy Reid is about as good an example of that as you can get, he was done here in 2012, there wasn't a fan in Philly who didn't go along with that, but the move to KC has revitalised him and he's at the top of his game again, but the Eagles weren't wrong to let him go.

All I would say is I don't recall a single story that Tannehill was an uncoachable a-hole and bad team mate, we can all try our damnedest to convince ourselves that those stories are just stories, but they've surfaced for 3 years now and the evidence of your own eyes is if Wentz listens to coaches its weird he still has almost the exact same flaws he had in his scouting reports in '16, 'slow to go through progressions', 'hit and miss accuracy on touch passes' and 'timing and accuracy issues at intermediate range'

On 1/17/2021 at 12:25 PM, RUEagle said:

Hurts over Chinn or Dobbins effectively destroying Wentz

This line of thinking always annoys me. If Wentz was mentally "destroyed" by a 2nd round pick, he never had a chance to deal with the pressures of being a franchise QB in the first place, especially one in the city of Philadelphia.

1 hour ago, Kz! said:

This line of thinking always annoys me. If Wentz was mentally "destroyed" by a 2nd round pick, he never had a chance to deal with the pressures of being a franchise QB in the first place, especially one in the city of Philadelphia.

Look at how Aaron Rodgers responded this year after his team drafted another QB...in the 1st round.

22 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Look at how Aaron Rodgers responded this year after his team drafted another QB...in the 1st round.

Come on man, you're better than this. The Eagles drafting Hurts at least has a tiny bit of merit when you account for Carson's injuries and inconsistent play. The Packers were flat out stupid for picking a QB in round 1. Its lazy to compare these situations.

1 minute ago, ShutDownDB said:

Come on man, you're better than this. The Eagles drafting Hurts at least has a tiny bit of merit when you account for Carson's injuries and inconsistent play. The Packers were flat out stupid for picking a QB in round 1. Its lazy to compare these situations.

No, it's not.  Teams draft players every year and starters at those positions don't freak out and have the worst season of their career.  Did drafting Goedert affect Ertz?  Drafting Dillard effect Peters or Mailata?  

How fragile are QBs that they can't handle someone being drafted?  Carson hadn't finished the season 3 years in a row.  3 years in a row the backup QB was playing in the playoffs instead of him. Man up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

No, it's not.  Teams draft players every year and starters at those positions don't freak out and have the worst season of their career.  Did drafting Goedert affect Ertz?  Drafting Dillard effect Peters or Mailata?  

How fragile are QBs that they can't handle someone being drafted?  Carson hadn't finished the season 3 years in a row.  3 years in a row the backup QB was playing in the playoffs instead of him. Man up.

Well considering the Eagles run a lot of 2 TE sets, not comparable. Also considering Peters is old as dirt and playing horribly and/or injured these last few years, not comparable.

I guess you missed the part where I said drafting Hurts has at least a little merit?

47 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Well considering the Eagles run a lot of 2 TE sets, not comparable. Also considering Peters is old as dirt and playing horribly and/or injured these last few years, not comparable.

I guess you missed the part where I said drafting Hurts has at least a little merit?

Well you don't like any comparisons to other QBs where there was a QB drafted high and it didn't affect the starter like Aaron Rodgers and they drafted a 1st round QB.  He was pissed, but he balled out and is playing in the NFCCG.  McNabb had a 2nd round QB drafted in Kolb and was even benched for Kolb mid-season, and then bounced back and went to the NFCCG.  QBs lose their jobs to backups, it happens.

I think Carson's issues stem from Reich and Flip leaving which were his accountability but also he was younger and learning the NFL.  Then his injury made him (like many players) a little more hesitant in his return from injury.  Seeing Foles win the SB and MVP and players having a shrine to Foles in the locker room.  Getting hurt again in 2018 and seeing Foles win a playoff game.  He finally finished the season healthy in 2019 and - to his credit - played well despite many injuries and throwing to scrub WRs plucked from the practice squad.  The team also gave him a $100 million contract extension putting faith in him before he even had a complete healthy season.

So all that happened before Hurts.  I agree it can be a factor, but it can also be a factor to motivate you to work harder.  Again, other QBs have had backups drafted and responded by playing well.