Deshaun Watson (Texans QB) -- TRADED TO CLEVELAND

eaglesfan0075

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

There may be settlement of cases but you know the league is going to have their own form of discipline.  Have to assume he is facing a suspension ... question is, for how long?

Seeing as it wasnt criminal sexual assault or even sexual misconduct, he never got arrested...  but it was an overwhelmingly large number of victims, I think 8 games is fair. Long enough that remembers it decades later,  but doesnt have much impact on the continuation of his longterm career plans.

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

There may be settlement of cases but you know the league is going to have their own form of discipline.  Have to assume he is facing a suspension ... question is, for how long?

Mike Florio of PFT is saying he is hearing the suspension would be in the 4-6 games range, coupled with what Rich Eisen said that Watson is very much likely to play in 2021, I don't see a extraordinarily long suspension derailing his 2021 season. Both of them also have Eagles as the top suitor, same with Peter King and Diana. Way too much chatter out there.

Love to get him but I seriously doubt he'd want to come here. He has a no trade clause so he'd need to actually want to be here lol

From what we know, the asking/offering price between Philly and Houston might have changed. But our source tells us now that the interest has never waned - and confirms King's "gut feeling'' that the Eagles are the smartest bet.

"The idea,'' the source tells us, "is still in play.''

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/nfl-source-qb-deshaun-watson-trade-from-texans-to-eagles-still-in-play-and-the-smartest-bet

Look I'm a huge huge Watson fan. I was before he entered the NFL and I think he's a fantastic QB. But 3 first round picks when this roster has his many holes? They can't do it. They'll just be another Houston for Watson. A good team because they have a good QB but not legit contenders. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look I'm a huge huge Watson fan. I was before he entered the NFL and I think he's a fantastic QB. But 3 first round picks when this roster has his many holes? They can't do it. They'll just be another Houston for Watson. A good team because they have a good QB but not legit contenders. 

It won't be 3 firsts, as the report above and others have stated, the compensation has changed. Peter Schrager on Dan Patrick's show said the compensation has lost 80% of its value.

With that said, unless Hurts is drastically better than what we think he is, we are going to need to go get a QB next year anyways, and unless we have the #1 overall pick or close to it, it's going to cost us draft capital. Not for nothing, but I would much rather spend that capital on a known proven quantity like Watson over an unknown rookie like Rattler or Howell.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:27 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm just not buying it, I'm really not. 

1) I do think they want to see what Hurts can do, at least for this year.

2) They would need to make some major changes to get him under the cap.

3) I just don't think Lurie would do it. Okay he signed Vick, but that was after he had done his time and he was brought in as a back-up not to be the face of the franchise. Lurie's in with the movie crowd. With the way things are at the moment, I just think there is no way he brings this guy in until the dust has long settled.

4) No reputable source has connected them. All "gut" feel from hacks like King.

If it happens I will eat crow, but I just can't see it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm just not buying it, I'm really not. 

1) I do think they want to see what Hurts can do, at least for this year.

2) They would need to make some major changes to get him under the cap.

3) I just don't think Lurie would do it. Okay he signed Vick, but that was after he had done his time and he was brought in as a back-up not to be the face of the franchise. Lurie's in with the movie crowd. With the way things are at the moment, I just think there is no way he brings this guy in until the dust has long settled.

4) No reputable source has connected them. All "gut" feel from hacks like King.

If it happens I will eat crow, but I just can't see it.

I believe it’ll be handled this summer ( the lawsuit thing), win lose or settle. Maybe he’ll get suspended, but in 2 years it’ll be a footnote. He was never arrested, people will still go back and forth between sexual predator and gold digging masseuses, but if there’s a guy in the world you know will keep his nose clean for the rest of his life... it’ll be Deshaun. This is the mother of all wake up calls.

He’s a top 5 QB in this league, what he did last year with that roster is borderline heroic. If this is what it takes to get his trade value down low enough for the Eagles to have a shot at him, then I’m willing to bear the baggage.

We can afford him if we really want to. Give him a new deal that’s crazy backloaded, and set the roster up next year and beyond accordingly. Keep restructuring and pushing it back if need be. There are aren’t 50 in earth’s history who can do on a football field what he can, and we’ve never had a single one of those guys.

You guys keep forgetting he actually has to want to be here. 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think at this point he may just have to accept whatever team wants him. I don't think the pool is as big as it was before. 

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

And there is no way we get his salary under the cap, we couldn't afford his contract this year and it's only $16million, next year's cap number for him is $40million, we're only projected to have 16million of cap space next year, so to get him in we'd basically have to dump every star on the roster not named Deshaun Watson.

It would be essentially just doing the tear down bit of a tear down and rebuild.

This whole idea is absurd, as good as Watson is, the Eagles signing him right now would be like sticking a gold roof on a tar paper shanty shack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think at this point he may just have to accept whatever team wants him. I don't think the pool is as big as it was before. 

Won't be us anyways. Also he is an elite QB and if he gets through this with no real criminal charges there will be plenty of teams that will go after him. 

9 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I believe it’ll be handled this summer ( the lawsuit thing), win lose or settle. Maybe he’ll get suspended, but in 2 years it’ll be a footnote. He was never arrested, people will still go back and forth between sexual predator and gold digging masseuses, but if there’s a guy in the world you know will keep his nose clean for the rest of his life... it’ll be Deshaun. This is the mother of all wake up calls.

He’s a top 5 QB in this league, what he did last year with that roster is borderline heroic. If this is what it takes to get his trade value down low enough for the Eagles to have a shot at him, then I’m willing to bear the baggage.

We can afford him if we really want to. Give him a new deal that’s crazy backloaded, and set the roster up next year and beyond accordingly. Keep restructuring and pushing it back if need be. There are aren’t 50 in earth’s history who can do on a football field what he can, and we’ve never had a single one of those guys.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

And there is no way we get his salary under the cap, we couldn't afford his contract this year and it's only $16million, next year's cap number for him is $40million, we're only projected to have 16million of cap space next year, so to get him in we'd basically have to dump every star on the roster not named Deshaun Watson.

It would be essentially just doing the tear down bit of a tear down and rebuild.

This whole idea is absurd, as good as Watson is, the Eagles signing him right now would be like sticking a gold roof on a tar paper shanty shack.

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Won't be us anyways. Also he is an elite QB and if he gets through this with no real criminal charges there will be plenty of teams that will go after him. 

CC - agreed completely. The deal is already crazy backloaded and there is no way we can afford it. It's already about as small a cap hit as possible for this year and it's way too much with our salary cap issues.

Regardless of what you believe about Watson's issues, the point is that they are very relevant now. Even if we could afford him, I highly doubt that Lurie would do it for reputational reasons.

Not going to happen, just lazy media hacks looking for cheap clicks.

5 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

CC - agreed completely. The deal is already crazy backloaded and there is no way we can afford it. It's already about as small a cap hit as possible for this year and it's way too much with our salary cap issues.

Regardless of what you believe about Watson's issues, the point is that they are very relevant now. Even if we could afford him, I highly doubt that Lurie would do it for reputational reasons.

Not going to happen, just lazy media hacks looking for cheap clicks.

Once he gets traded, all guaranteed money dolled out is taken as a cap hit for the previous team, meaning we can renegotiate the contract right then at no penalty. Give him a big signing bonus day 1 to cancel out the salary for the first two years and put him at vet minimum. It can be done.

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah you are right he's going to be in demand if he gets through all of this. 

6 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Once he gets traded, all guaranteed money dolled out is taken as a cap hit for the previous team, meaning we can renegotiate the contract right then at no penalty. Give him a big signing bonus day 1 to cancel out the salary for the first two years and put him at vet minimum. It can be done.

Yeah but look at his current contract - over 110 million guaranteed. The only way to do it would be an incredibly team friendly backdated deal like Mahomes did for KC. But why would Watson do that for the Eagles? And even if he would, how risky would it be  to give 150 million plus guaranteed to a guy who if there are further allegations or misconduct could be suspended for a year or longer or even out of the league.

Coupled with the reputational risk, I just see no way this happens this year.

10 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah but look at his current contract - over 110 million guaranteed. The only way to do it would be an incredibly team friendly backdated deal like Mahomes did for KC. But why would Watson do that for the Eagles? And even if he would, how risky would it be  to give 150 million plus guaranteed to a guy who if there are further allegations or misconduct could be suspended for a year or longer or even out of the league.

Coupled with the reputational risk, I just see no way this happens this year.

He’d do it to get out of football hell that is Houston. 

For us, I think it’s better to gamble on football greatness than to accept the sure thing with football goodness. So a trade and massive guarantees to Watson would be worth it more so than just giving Dak or Carr or Tannehill their big deals 

Id rather keep striking out with the hot girls until I land one than accept the first okay looking girl and have a bunch of okay looking kids

3 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

He’d do it to get out of football hell that is Houston. 

For us, I think it’s better to gamble on football greatness than to accept the sure thing with football goodness. So a trade and massive guarantees to Watson would be worth it more so than just giving Dak or Carr or Tannehill their big deals 

Id rather keep striking out with the hot girls until I land one than accept the first okay looking girl and have a bunch of okay looking kids

But the Eagles aren't the only option. In fact I just saw an article from Lombardo saying that the three teams most talked about are the Raiders, Dolphins and WFT. All of whom have more cap space.

For what you are talking about, the Eagles would pretty much have to be the only team in on Watson, otherwise there is no way he will do it. Do you think he will take less than Dak? 

Watson wants to get traded, but he's not going to throw away a great contract at this point when his value is so low. 

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

But the Eagles aren't the only option. In fact I just saw an article from Lombardo saying that the three teams most talked about are the Raiders, Dolphins and WFT. All of whom have more cap space.

For what you are talking about, the Eagles would pretty much have to be the only team in on Watson, otherwise there is no way he will do it. Do you think he will take less than Dak? 

Watson wants to get traded, but he's not going to throw away a great contract at this point when his value is so low. 

We can sign him for 40m a year, give him 50m signing bonus that’ll cover more than what he makes the next two years on his current deal

i know we’re not in the best position for it, but Howie has options if he really wants it

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

We can sign him for 40m a year, give him 50m signing bonus that’ll cover more than what he makes the next two years on his current deal

For how long? How much guaranteed money? It would be a cap nightmare.

I think we've taken this as far as we can my friend. Honestly if this happens this year I would be seriously shocked and eat crow, but I'm just not buying it as a legitimate possibility.

If Howie wants Watson, the cap won't stop him. He'll restructure the whole team's contracts if he has too.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If Howie wants Watson, the cap won't stop him. He'll restructure the whole team's contracts if he has too.

Listen, I love me some Barnett, but you gotta do what you gotta do

• Like 1

On top of everything else that has been said, people are forgetting why Watson had his panties in a bunch in the first place. There's no way the Eagles are going to give him any kind of say in personnel decisions. Look how much trouble he's had just picking a masseuse.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

The cap will stop him, it is stopping him, if he could restructure everyone's contracts why wouldn't he do it now when we're bottom feeding in free agency, trading for 4th round corners and looking like we're going into the season with single figure million cap room for IR emergencies?

• Haha 1

If the Wentz debacle taught the team anything, its that there is a significant advantage having a good QB on a rookie contract.  I think if for that reason alone, the Eagles will sit on their hands vis a vis the Watson situation.  Great QB, horrible for the cap and management of the rest of the roster.

• Like 1