Deshaun Watson (Texans QB) -- TRADED TO CLEVELAND

eaglesfan0075

17 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I think he gets traded before the season. I'd love to get him but not at a high cost because he may just end up getting suspended or put on the exempt list

I also think Watson won’t be on the Texans roster on opening day…and I also think that if Howie thinks that the Eagles are just 1 player away from being serious contenders (in his eyes), then I would have no surprise at all if he is making a serious (but on the cheap) play for Watson…

He has freed up sufficient cap space, and has the ammunition to make a trade, but the only thing he can’t control is Watson’s No Trade clause, which needs his consent to allow him to be traded to Philly…

It’s a slow burner, but as we get closer to opening day, I believe the Texans asking price will drop…

6 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I also think Watson won’t be on the Texans roster on opening day…and I also think that if Howie thinks that the Eagles are just 1 player away from being serious contenders (in his eyes), then I would have no surprise at all if he is making a serious (but on the cheap) play for Watson…

He has freed up sufficient cap space, and has the ammunition to make a trade, but the only thing he can’t control is Watson’s No Trade clause, which needs his consent to allow him to be traded to Philly…

It’s a slow burner, but as we get closer to opening day, I believe the Texans asking price will drop…

We're not 1 player away but locking down a top 5 QB for years would definitely help. I do worry that Howie may think we are and spend too much on Watson

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

We're not 1 player away but locking down a top 5 QB for years would definitely help. I do worry that Howie may think we are and spend too much on Watson

But at what cost bud? I mean you trade for Watson and you instantly make it a lot lot harder to improve a roster that desperately needs to be improved. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But at what cost bud? I mean you trade for Watson and you instantly make it a lot lot harder to improve a roster that desperately needs to be improved. 

Depends on the price. We'll have a bunch of picks. The closer we get to week 1 the lower the cost will be IMO

• Like 1

I would not go more then one 1st and a mid rounder. Might add a conditional 2023 based on his playing status from the league going forward after this year. No, not a 2022, might not know before the draft so would have to be a 2023. 

Anything more, not touching him this year. 

My biggest concern is him and Howie wont mess in a few years and Watson will again ask for a trade or will walk when his contract is up. Would be a waste of multiple picks if we go anymore then my compensation. 

17 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

My thinking is that Howie believes that we are 1 player away (and what we believe is basically irrelevant...). I would not be surprised if he already has a (lowball) offer on the table with the Texans, and is basically leaving the ball in the Texan's court...effectively, the opposite of the Wentz trade.

We were the victims of circumstance in that trade...Howie is possibly playing exactly the same game with Houston, and Houston might be forced to trade Watson for considerably less than the going rate, purely because of the situation...

But...only Howie, Lurie and Sirianni know the whole story, and current state of play...

• Like 1

I might break something if it ended up being multiple high round picks

Also I would hope they'd have some condition in the contract and trade about his playing time and if he were to somehow end up in jail. Not sure how long the whole thing will take but we should have insurance if he's not able to play. Or if he's dumb enough to do it again

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I might break something if it ended up being multiple high round picks

Also I would hope they'd have some condition in the contract and trade about his playing time and if he were to somehow end up in jail. Not sure how long the whole thing will take but we should have insurance if he's not able to play. Or if he's dumb enough to do it again

I feel it's more likely to include players than 1st rd picks. It would make zero sense to not include Hurts in the deal. Either we toy with the idea of Hurts being the starter for the next couple seasons giving us a chance to save some cap space at QB or we go all in with Watson. Getting Watson and his cap impact after this season would make all the draft picks we currently have all the more necessary for us to keep.  So on that level, all this multiple high draft pick compensation crap is just that --- crap. Getting a proven franchise QB (with baggage) won't help a team that doesn't have the cap space to retain the rest of it's good players after this season. You can stay competitive doing what we've been forced to do this year, There will always be some good players available for a cheap, short term contract, but you need to have some players locked up to build around. In the next couple seasons, we'll likely be losing good players like Graham, Brooks, Johnson, Cox, Slay, Ertz. Kelce, Nelson, Mcleod but still taking a cap hit when they are gone. We have some good, young players on the verge of getting big money (Goedert, Mailata, Sanders, Sweat). We're still going to have holes to fill even if we can keep the latter list. 

We simply can't afford to go all in at this time, maxing our cap, and giving up our high draft picks on top of that. The more we spend on players, restructure contracts, extend players, the more we need those picks. 

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I feel it's more likely to include players than 1st rd picks. It would make zero sense to not include Hurts in the deal. Either we toy with the idea of Hurts being the starter for the next couple seasons giving us a chance to save some cap space at QB or we go all in with Watson. Getting Watson and his cap impact after this season would make all the draft picks we currently have all the more necessary for us to keep.  So on that level, all this multiple high draft pick compensation crap is just that --- crap. Getting a proven franchise QB (with baggage) won't help a team that doesn't have the cap space to retain the rest of it's good players after this season. You can stay competitive doing what we've been forced to do this year, There will always be some good players available for a cheap, short term contract, but you need to have some players locked up to build around. In the next couple seasons, we'll likely be losing good players like Graham, Brooks, Johnson, Cox, Slay, Ertz. Kelce, Nelson, Mcleod but still taking a cap hit when they are gone. We have some good, young players on the verge of getting big money (Goedert, Mailata, Sanders, Sweat). We're still going to have holes to fill even if we can keep the latter list. 

We simply can't afford to go all in at this time, maxing our cap, and giving up our high draft picks on top of that. The more we spend on players, restructure contracts, extend players, the more we need those picks. 

Logic is not allowed in these parts of the woods

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Hurts is a cheap backup. I don't see Howie trading him away

Goedert, Mailata, Sanders, and Sweat haven't done anything to get big money IMO

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

We are definitely not one player away this year.  As you said, it never hurts to have a Top 5 QB and why not take this year to build chemistry with the talent we have on the roster.  I suspect it cost a couple of firsts whenever it happens...assuming he would come here.

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Mullins is also a cheap backup. 

Goedert is better than Austin Hooper. Mailata is better than Vaitai. Sanders' next contract will probably be 4 years/$30M minimum and Sweat has been the star of TC so far:

Hurts cost a 2nd round pick just last year. I just don't see Howie trading him away unless he requests a trade because he all of a sudden doesn't want to be a backup

I wouldn't give big money to Sweat after 1 good year. I do hope he continues to improve though

Goedert hasn't been targeted enough. His numbers will be high because the sample is small. One of the reasons I was for trading Ertz was because I think it'd open up for Goedert to show us what he's got as the main TE

I'm very happy they're having a great camp(I'm rooting for Mailata vs Dillard) but they're still not worth big money IMO

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Depends on the price. We'll have a bunch of picks. The closer we get to week 1 the lower the cost will be IMO

You think? I mean if they could get him for 1 first round pick... Do it. But our 2 first round picks next year and more? No ta.

10 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

If Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith can get $12.5mill a year contracts, you can't tell me Goedert couldn't get the same right now, PFF rates Mailata right around Riley Reiff and Andrew Thomas as of now, so he'd probably get $8.5mill per year off a few teams now and you can probably double that at the end of this year if he continues his progress as starting left tackle, Sweat's sack numbers in restricted playing time means he'd get paid somewhere mid range DE money off someone now, Like Mailata if this year his numbers grow consistently with increased playing time, he'll be one of the top Edge rusher's in the league at seasons end. Sanders I tend to agree, as a running back I just don't see them being worth big contracts unless they're absolutely top end which I don't think Sanders is as of right now, but if he were to put up somewhere around 1500 all purpose yards this year (which isn't a huge leap from where he was 2019) then the team has a decision to make.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Hurts cost a 2nd round pick just last year. I just don't see Howie trading him away unless he requests a trade because he all of a sudden doesn't want to be a backup

I 100% agree. Especially with Watson’s potential suspension and the incredible fortune we’ve had the last 20 years with our backup QBs playing, Hurts is worth far more to us than Houston.

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith can get $12.5mill a year contracts, you can't tell me Goedert couldn't get the same right now, PFF rates Mailata right around Riley Reiff and Andrew Thomas as of now, so he'd probably get $8.5mill per year off a few teams now and you can probably double that at the end of this year if he continues his progress as starting left tackle, Sweat's sack numbers in restricted playing time means he'd get paid somewhere mid range DE money off someone now, Like Mailata if this year his numbers grow consistently with increased playing time, he'll be one of the top Edge rusher's in the league at seasons end. Sanders I tend to agree, as a running back I just don't see them being worth big contracts unless they're absolutely top end which I don't think Sanders is as of right now, but if he were to put up somewhere around 1500 all purpose yards this year (which isn't a huge leap from where he was 2019) then the team has a decision to make.

I’m just not a fan of giving out a big contract for potential instead of what they’re doing now. It’s cheaper but it also opens up to getting screwed by injuries which this team has had trouble with for years

Mullins,Ertz,Miami's 2022 1st, our own 2022 2nd, and a 2023 2nd.

Texans just said Watson will be on the roster week 1. You guys, can stop crying now

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Texans just said Watson will be on the roster week 1. That may be the case.

You guys, can stop crying now.  Not a chance that will happen.

Replies in red

10 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Texans just said Watson will be on the roster week 1. You guys, can stop crying now

I can't believe people still think trading for Watson might be a good idea.

1) I know it's the Texans, but they are not going to give away Watson for less than 3 firsts. 

2) Whatever your moral stance, there is no way that the Eagles can give up the draft and cap collateral required for a guy facing the current issues Watson is.

3) No reputable source has said anything more than the Eagles are monitoring the situation, which of course they should be, but a trade is not workable right now. 

4) The Eagles have zero established young talent on D signed in 2022. They need to lock up either or both of Barnett and Sweat and use those extra draft picks on retooling the D. The O-Line needs some help as well. 

5) I know half the board has written him off, but Hurts might be good. If he is, we have a young cost controlled QB we can build around. If not, we can address QB in the draft/by trade next year.

Watson will not and should not happen, at least this year.

• Like 1

They were never going to trade for him until it's all resolved anyway. Nothing else really matters. We all know what he's accused of, what types charges, if any, come against him are irrelevant as long as no deal is made until it's all resolved and he's back playing.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:51 PM, Sack that QB said:

They were never going to trade for him until it's all resolved anyway. Nothing else really matters. We all know what he's accused of, what types charges, if any, come against him are irrelevant as long as no deal is made until it's all resolved and he's back playing.

That’s the risk involved for teams looking to trade for him too. If he is cleared from these charges then his price goes back up. If the Eagles truly want this guy it’s best they make a move when his value is low and take a gamble. I hope they don’t though. He certainly isn’t acting like a guy who understands he messed up. If anything he’s even more defiant now. Not sure why anyone would want a guy who basically crying his way out of town when the Eagles just got rid of a guy who cried his way out of town. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's really hard to imagine the Dolphins would give up on Tua this fast. He averaged almost 300 yards of total offense a game with 14 total touchdowns in 10 games. Not great, but not the numbers that warrant a one-and-done scenario. If they are trying to get Watson, it doesn't hurt using Waddle as a selling point with Watson's no-trade clause. There are too many unknowns with the Eagles.