Rams trade Goff + two 1sts + 3rd to Lions for Stafford

DBW

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

He's had hall of fame talent to throw to and didn't get it done

You aren't going to win many games when you only have one great receiver and the rest of the team is trash.

1 hour ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

You aren't going to win many games when you only have one great receiver and the rest of the team is trash.

It's like these people haven't watched the best receiver in the league go no where year after year... 

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Stafford is definitely better then his record suggests. Is he top 5? No not at all but, he has been on a team with a miserable defense almost his entire time along with no running game up until the last few seasons. 

Yeah and yet he's going to a division with a rising star like Murray, whoever is under center for SF and Wilson. All three teams have equal or better defenses than Minny, GB and Chicago. Sorry, I can't see Stafford holding up in that division.

6 minutes ago, Madriver said:

Yeah and yet he's going to a division with a rising star like Murray, whoever is under center for SF and Wilson. All three teams have equal or better defenses than Minny, GB and Chicago. Sorry, I can't see Stafford holding up in that division.

🤷

On 1/30/2021 at 1:22 PM, DBW said:

Sources say they’re exploring the possibility of trading him.

$22m dead cap and they’d eat some of his salary.

you thinking what I’m thinking?  Even swap for Carson?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/news/jared-goff-rams-trade/oOtfqSzMRvOs%3famp=1

If you hate Wentz, you’ll REALLY hate Goff...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

If you hate Wentz, you’ll REALLY hate Goff...

Never said I hated Wentz.  I mean, I’m done with him, but the post wasn’t about that it was a hypothetical IF they wanted to move on they could have potentially found a spot but that didn’t happen obviously 

On 1/30/2021 at 8:01 PM, CaliEagle said:

They definitely overpaid.  At his age,  I would've thought his value would've been a low first rounder and that would be the price in a competitive market.

They did overpay and they know they did.  They want to win now with donald and that d.  I get it.  Donald is a generational talent.   Right up with reggie white and many say better than reggie.  You gotta win a super bowl before he leaves and wins one with another team (like reggie)

they pushed all their chips in and are all in to win now 

8 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

They did overpay and they know they did.  They want to win now with donald and that d.  I get it.  Donald is a generational talent.   Right up with reggie white and many say better than reggie.  You gotta win a super bowl before he leaves and wins one with another team (like reggie)

they pushed all their chips in and are all in to win now 

Yeah agreed that absolutely know and understand that this is boom or bust for them. They know they have overpaid and I guess on balance they have decided they are "OK" with that risk. I think long term they are going to regret it though. I think they have a very good team but I don't think Stafford is going to push them over the edge and in the medium to long term they have severely hampered their roster building. I mean no first round pick between 2016 and 2023 is it? Or something like that!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Stafford is definitely better then his record suggests. Is he top 5? No not at all but, he has been on a team with a miserable defense almost his entire time along with no running game up until the last few seasons. 

I'm sorry but if Stafford was a good qb at SOME POINT during his 12 NFL seasons he would have taken an average-mediocre Detroit team on his back for a deep run.  He's had plenty of teams that weren't that bad.  Detroit fans are more than ready to turn the page on him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I'm sorry but if Stafford was a good qb at SOME POINT during his 12 NFL seasons he would have taken an average-mediocre Detroit team on his back for a deep run.  He's had plenty of teams that weren't that bad.  Detroit fans are more than ready to turn the page on him.

🤷

Stafford led a miserable Lions franchise to an 11 win season and a pro-bowl appearance.  He's a better QB than most people give him credit for, mostly because Detroit has been irrelevant for a very long time.  With the talent they have in LA, I would most be surprised if Stafford and the Rams had a monster year coming up.

As for the trade, Goff was a salary dump.  They basically traded a 1 to the Lions to take him and his bad contract.  Stafford was for a 1 and a 3.  It wasn't a bad trade for either club.  The Lions get some picks they can use to re-build and get rid of someone who wanted out of Detroit.  The Rams get rid of Goff and his terrible contract and they get a much better QB in return.  This really is a win-win.  

2 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Stafford led a miserable Lions franchise to an 11 win season and a pro-bowl appearance. 

Dude he's made 1 pro bowl...in 2014.  Andy Dalton who this thread dissed as a comparison, has 3 pro bowls the ,  most recent in 2016.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Dude he's made 1 pro bowl...in 2014.  Andy Dalton who this thread dissed as a comparison, has 3 pro bowls the ,  most recent in 2016.

Hell, I can't argue that too much.  Andy Dalton actually may be a pretty apt comparison.  

Andy Dalton Career Stats

• Yards per pass attempt: 7.2

• TD:Int Ratio: 1.81

• Passer Rating: 88.8

• Average Yards/season: 3,512.5

• Longest Completion: 86 yards (not as relevant but fun when you see how similar all the numbers are)

• Playoff record 0-4

• Career Rushing Yards: 1,148

Matt Stafford Career Stats

• Yards per pass attempt: 7.1

• TD:Int Ratio: 1.84

• Passer Rating: 88.4

• Average Yards/season: 3,852.6

• Longest Completion: 87 yards

• Playoff record 0-3

• Career Rushing Yards: 1,020

I still think Stafford is a better QB.  He's tough, he's a good leader, and has a heck of an arm.  Hard to argue with results, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Stafford led a miserable Lions franchise to an 11 win season and a pro-bowl appearance.  He's a better QB than most people give him credit for, mostly because Detroit has been irrelevant for a very long time.  With the talent they have in LA, I would most be surprised if Stafford and the Rams had a monster year coming up.

As for the trade, Goff was a salary dump.  They basically traded a 1 to the Lions to take him and his bad contract.  Stafford was for a 1 and a 3.  It wasn't a bad trade for either club.  The Lions get some picks they can use to re-build and get rid of someone who wanted out of Detroit.  The Rams get rid of Goff and his terrible contract and they get a much better QB in return.  This really is a win-win.  

In that 11 win season (2014) the Lions' defense was actually very good that year and Stafford was an average NFL quarterback and below his usual "good" standard.  Stafford actually held them back from being even better that season by not being better than average.

Fun fact related to the above - the Lions scored fewer points in 2014 than in any other season in the 11 season stretch from 2010 to 2020.  (That doesn't adjust for NFL scoring levels in each season, but it is still an amazing fact.)

I'm of the opinion that Stafford is a good quarterback, usually somewhere in the 8 to 14 range, but shouldn't be considered a "very good" quarterback, much less a "great" quarterback.

Disclosure note: I've gotten into multiple arguments over the last 1 1/2 days with people on the NFL reddit site about the opinion immediately above, LOL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Hell, I can't argue that too much.  Andy Dalton actually may be a pretty apt comparison.  

I still think Stafford is a better QB.  He's tough, he's a good leader, and has a heck of an arm.  Hard to argue with results, though.

Stafford has been a lot more consistent than Dalton, though Dalton's best season (2015) is better than Stafford's best season (2019 in a half season, or probably 2011 or 2017 if you're talking about full seasons).  Having said that, if you look at Stafford's comps on Football Reference, one of his top 10 career comps, and one of three comps that is a contemporary of his, is Andy Dalton.  (Stafford's through 11 seasons contemporary comps are Tony Romo and Eli Manning, and his contemporary career comps are Romo, Alex Smith, and Dalton.)

• Like 2

Now we are talking about pro bowls lol. The most meaningless honor there is in the NFL lol. Especially when Daulton made the pro bowl with 19 touchdowns and 17 interceptions lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

He's Andy Dalton, with a stronger arm.  There is a HUGE sample size that backs that up.  The only thing close to an argument for Stafford i can think of is that he never had an o-Line like Daulton had for a couple years.

Btw i'd also take Stafford if I had to choose. But for 2-1st rd picks and $15m a yr, c'mon, Dalton is on the street.

48 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Now we are talking about pro bowls lol. The most meaningless honor there is in the NFL lol. Especially when Daulton made the pro bowl with 19 touchdowns and 17 interceptions lmao

Hey he mentioned the pro bowls first!  Pro bowls don't mean much, and yes in any given year 6 guys in front of you opt out and a mediocre to bad player gets in.  But that's even MORE damning for a big name former top pick Qb who's only got 1 in 12 years.  

1 hour ago, CHIP72 said:

Stafford has been a lot more consistent than Dalton, though Dalton's best season (2015) is better than Stafford's best season (2019 in a half season, or probably 2011 or 2017 if you're talking about full seasons).  Having said that, if you look at Stafford's comps on Football Reference, one of his top 10 career comps, and one of three comps that is a contemporary of his, is Andy Dalton.  (Stafford's through 11 seasons contemporary comps are Tony Romo and Eli Manning, and his contemporary career comps are Romo, Alex Smith, and Dalton.)

Eli manning is absolutely another comparable guy to Stafford.  If the eagles traded away 2 1st rd pick,(no matter how devalued into the future) for a 33 year old Eli Manning I don't think any of us would have taken it well.

29 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Hey he mentioned the pro bowls first!  Pro bowls don't mean much, and yes in any given year 6 guys in front of you opt out and a mediocre to bad player gets in.  But that's even MORE damning for a big name former top pick Qb who's only got 1 in 12 years.  

True lol

I think Stafford is a good QB: strong arm, big and plays tough. But he'll be 33 years old next season, entering the nagging injury phase of most player careers. The Lions couldn't keep him upright, so if seemed like he was always dealing with something. The Rams get a good QB; they are better if only they can keep him protected.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toolg said:

I think Stafford is a good QB: strong arm, big and plays tough. But he'll be 33 years old next season, entering the nagging injury phase of most player careers. The Lions couldn't keep him upright, so if seemed like he was always dealing with something. The Rams get a good QB; they are better if only they can keep him protected.

But are they that much better? I agree they are definitely better there's no argument there. But Stafford hasn't got a ton of play off experience because he's played in Detroit. Now sure he's not been given a lot of talent but they've had decent teams, he's had weapons and they have not produced as a team. I think he's a very good QB, top 10? Maybe just about and I'm not sure that's going to be enough for LA.

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But are they that much better? I agree they are definitely better there's no argument there. But Stafford hasn't got a ton of play off experience because he's played in Detroit. Now sure he's not been given a lot of talent but they've had decent teams, he's had weapons and they have not produced as a team. I think he's a very good QB, top 10? Maybe just about and I'm not sure that's going to be enough for LA.

I think the NFL playoff experience thing is overrated. It's the same game in the playoffs, except all of your opponents are good so you don't get to beat up on cupcakes. Remember Josh McCown? He had no playoff experience, gets inserted into the Eagles-Seahawks game and plays his tail off until his 40 year-old body broke down. Stafford isn't that old, he got a couple mediocre Lions teams into the playoffs so he has a little experience... It's not like he withers against good teams. I think he'll be fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toolg said:

I think the NFL playoff experience thing is overrated. It's the same game in the playoffs, except all of your opponents are good so you don't get to beat up on cupcakes. Remember Josh McCown? He had no playoff experience, gets inserted into the Eagles-Seahawks game and plays his tail off until his 40 year-old body broke down. Stafford isn't that old, he got a couple mediocre Lions teams into the playoffs so he has a little experience... It's not like he withers against good teams. I think he'll be fine.

I just don't think the big game big moment experience can be overlooked. And play off games are another level up. 

On 2/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Two of my best "football friends' thAt I watch games with on sundays are Lions fans.  Yeah, I know.  I can tell you that neither of them has ever owned a Stafford jersey and they are lukewarm at best with him.  When you are the star player on a bad team the die hards tend to LOOOOOOOOVE you (ie the Cal Ripken syndrome).  Lions fans do not love Stafford and if this feels too anecdotal for your blood, please show me the walls of tweets from Lions fans raging about the trade.

That said, I do see a ton of similarities between this situation and Carson Palmer and i think that's about the what we will see.  Stafford will finally have a deep run, but I still don't see a championship happening here.  Stafford will not outduel the top qb's on the biggest stages.