Britt Reid - KC LB Coach/Andys kid

Captain F

15 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Reid makes millions let him pay for it

Yeah right, he should disown his son and make Britt pay for it the rest of his life

Terrible story.  I hope that little girl makes it and doesn't suffer in the long term. 

Honestly in this day & age I am amazed when something like this happens.  It's so easy to get an Uber or a Lyft.  

It's terrible what happened.  Britt will have to live with that for the rest of his life even if it was proven to not be his fault or if it was.

As for the game, I'm suspecting they were distracted.  Even if it was ever so slightly, even a little bit against a team like the Bucs was enough for the Bucs to take advantage and win like they did. 

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

It's terrible what happened.  Britt will have to live with that for the rest of his life even if it was proven to not be his fault or if it was.

As for the game, I'm suspecting they were distracted.  Even if it was ever so slightly, even a little bit against a team like the Bucs was enough for the Bucs to take advantage and win like they did. 

It was his fault

Reid may have been distracted a bit but he is also an enabler.  I doubt the majority of the players gave any thought to it

I'm not a parent so maybe the fathers here can speak to this, but Jesus Christmas. His first son was an addict, on heroin no less, and so is Britt although alcohol seems to be his drug of choice. 

What is the failing in parenting here? Lack of time spent with the kid? Lack of early discipline? Too distant? Not distant enough? Too much maternal influence spoiling the kids?

I really struggle to understand how a hugely successful parent can screw up their kids so badly.

1 hour ago, Madriver said:

I'm not a parent so maybe the fathers here can speak to this, but Jesus Christmas. His first son was an addict, on heroin no less, and so is Britt although alcohol seems to be his drug of choice. 

What is the failing in parenting here? Lack of time spent with the kid? Lack of early discipline? Too distant? Not distant enough? Too much maternal influence spoiling the kids?

I really struggle to understand how a hugely successful parent can screw up their kids so badly.

I think Reid enables him. Instead of saying clean up your act or you don't coach on my teams he just keeps giving him jobs and promoting him. Addicted to drugs , in and out of jail breaking the law yet you keep him employed making lots of money to continue those habits. 

• Like 2

What a tragedy.  And FWIW, don't necessarily draw the conclusion that because Andy's problem sons had behavioral issues in their personal lives, that they were bad at their jobs on the team.  There is ample precedent for coaches giving their sons jobs on NFL teams.  Rob and Rex Ryan, Brian Schottenheimer, Kyle Shanahan. 

I read that before his death, one of the Eagles players didn't realize that the strength and conditioning coach who was working with him was Garrett Reid. 

To me, too painful an incident to be petty and point out nepotism. 

On 2/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, Madriver said:

The "kid” is 35, btw, not a kid. 
  My sister died 2 years from an overdose at 54 (prescription drugs), and then her son, my nephew 8 months later, he was 33.  
 As a teenager parents of my friends let them drink in the home at age 14-15 years old, all of my friends HS graduations had alcohol, mine didn’t.  We were never allowed to drink around our parents, but not one of these guys became alcoholics, or drug addicts. They are all pretty successful regular guys who probably drink 2-3 beers a day.  Me personally, if I drank a case of beer in a year, that would be a miracle, alcohol in any form just never agreed with me. 
 Years later, my kids HS graduation, no alcohol, but all of my kids friends were drinking in front of their parents at ages again 14-15 years old. 
My oldest who is 21 smokes pot once in awhile, my youngest is 19 and like me hates alcohol, my wife social drinks, but that’s about it.  
 Same stories, different generations, my oldest sister who overdosed was also an alcoholic, so was my nephew, but here’s what I left out about my family vs the others, my family, on mom and dads side have and serious mental health issues.  Dads side would now be considered Bi-Polar 1 and would have been, locked in mental health facilities, until they went away in the mid ‘70’s to mid ‘80’s.   Mom’s side would have been more of a looney type of mental health issues, obviously that’s not technical but close enough, think of Alzheimer’s, but in ages 20 years old and up.  
 As a parent, all we can do is our best to be there for our kids for as long as possible, but almost every grown man in this world has done stupid things when they were younger because mom and dad can’t be there 24-7, all we can do is our best to put them on the right path.  My parents didn’t raise me any different from my sister, so is it their fault my sister chose alcohol and drugs and she died?    Absolutely not, they got her help in her 20’s and 30’s and 40’s, but nothing worked because the addicted person has to first admit they have a problem, then they have to accept treatment, and until treatment makes them feel better than 6 Percocet or a 12 pack of beer, we’ll continue to have addicts no matter who the parent is, and how hard they tried to fix the problem. 
 Until we know Andy’s families history, and his wife’s family history, we don’t know, but we do know Andy got him a job on his team likely to be close with him, we don’t know how many times if any to be fair,  how many times Andy or his wife did talk to Britt about his problem, obviously Britt didn’t get the help he needed because he didn’t want it, you can’t force a 35 year to do anything, sending them away and never speaking to them again doesn’t work, because when they die with no one around, all you do is blame yourself for not being there and that sucks!!   I know, I live it every goddamned day. 

• Like 2

There's no clear answer, If there were, we'd have a fool proof instruction manual by now, and we don't. While a parent is often a very strong influence in a child's life, there is no 100% guaranteed formula for preventing self destructive kids. I've seen it many, many times. Good parents can have absolutely F'ed up kids through no discernable fault of their own.

When it comes to drugs, an addictive personality makes matters worse, and it is probably an inherited trait. I strongly suspect that the most powerful reason for  any addiction is a biological component beyond a person's control. They are going to struggle with whatever it is for life and some will prevail while others do not. Andy clearly loves food and his sons love(d) their substance(s) of choice. In the end, the addiction is at times stronger than what they know is in their best interest. The big $ coaching job comes second. Their love of satisfying their addiction is greater than their love of family, their love of $, or the rewards of a profession. It wins, and they spiral down into a ruined life.

One thing that I think serves as a defense to a lot of life's pitfalls is a genuine and healthy measure of self esteem. If you develop a strong sense of self worth in a child, and if they set reasonable and attainable pro social goals for themselves as they grow up, they stand a better chance of staying on track. I think those kids will truly believe in themselves and therefore, are less likely to turn to other things like drugs/alcohol to prop up their self worth. That's all I've got on the subject, and it's all just semi-informed speculation based on what I've seen through my life experience.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We don't know what goes on or does not go on behind closed doors.  But that's quite a leap you're making blaming the parent for the kids' problems.

Heard the little girl woke up! Awesome for her and her family.  Also see people saying the family shouldnt need a gofund me and that for some reason, the Chiefs should be paying for everything.....  Really? Idiots. 

7 hours ago, Procus said:

We don't know what goes on or does not go on behind closed doors.  But that's quite a leap you're making blaming the parent for the kids' problems.

He didn't make any leap he asked someone to explain it to him because he doesn't know how that happens. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 1:03 PM, PoconoDon said:

<snip>

When it comes to drugs, an addictive personality makes matters worse, and it is probably an inherited trait. I strongly suspect that the most powerful reason for  any addiction is a biological component beyond a person's control. They are going to struggle with whatever it is for life and some will prevail while others do not. Andy clearly loves food and his sons love(d) their substance(s) of choice. In the end, the addiction is at times stronger than what they know is in their best interest. 

<snip>

I'm pretty sure there's a inherited trait/biological component. I'm familiar with a situation, a 30 something woman whose parents met because he was her connection. The father certainly had a family history of alcoholism/addiction, the mother has mental issues aggravated I think by booze & pot. Mom was doing alcohol and pot while pregnant. The now 30 something daughter is an addict on her own, has mental issues and is unlikely to ever be a productive member of society. There could be a learned behavior component, I'm not sure about that but 3 consecutive generations? The father in this situation did finally meet a good woman and has cleaned up his act so it is possible. I'm sure it ain't easy though.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2021 at 1:03 PM, PoconoDon said:

When it comes to drugs, an addictive personality makes matters worse, and it is probably an inherited trait...Andy clearly loves food and his sons love(d) their substance(s) of choice.

Wait? Is this true? He has a food addiction? I thought we were just making fun of his size, joking about his love of food.

If I had to pick what AR's addiction is, it is football. How else do you explain the guy showing up to the Eagles coaching interview with the famous binder? All the attention to details? When his sons got into substance abuse issues, AR kept coaching, refusing to take time off, then brought his sons into the organization, perhaps to replace the drug addiction with football.

2 minutes ago, toolg said:

Wait? Is this true? He has a food addiction? I thought we were just making fun of his size, joking about his love of food.

If I had to pick what AR's addiction is, it is football. How else do you explain the guy showing up to the Eagles coaching interview with the famous binder? All the attention to details? When his sons got into substance abuse issues, AR kept coaching, refusing to take time off, then brought his sons into the organization, perhaps to replace the drug addiction with football.

Hey, we've seen his struggles with his weight as it goes up and down, and he's commented in the past about rewarding himself with food (e.g., Ima get a ham sandwich, etc.) I think he can love football at the same time as well. As for the rest, I don't know enough to even speculate.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Hey, we've seen his struggles with his weight as it goes up and down, and he's commented in the past about rewarding himself with food (e.g., Ima get a ham sandwich, etc.) I think he can love football at the same time as well. As for the rest, I don't know enough to even speculate.

Fair enough.

Ruh roh

Lawyer seeking 'most serious charges' against ex-Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- An attorney for the family of a 5-year-old girl critically injured in a crash involving former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid says the girl suffered a devastating brain injury that has left her unable to speak or walk.

Ariel Young likely has permanent brain damage "that she will endure for the rest of her life," attorney Tom Porto said in an interview broadcast Tuesday with ABC's "Good Morning America."

"We're going to be advocating for the most serious charges and the most serious sentence that Britt could ever receive," Porto said.

The girl has been hospitalized since the Feb. 4 crash, when police say Reid's truck slammed into two vehicles on the side of a highway entrance ramp near Kansas City's NFL training complex next to Arrowhead Stadium, injuring Ariel and another child inside one of the cars.

Reid is the son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and had been the team's outside linebackers coach at the time of the crash. He was initially placed on administrative leave immediately following the crash, but is no longer employed by the team after his contract was not renewed in the days after the crash. He did not travel with the team to Tampa, Florida, for the Feb. 7 Super Bowl, which Kansas City lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Police have said Britt Reid admitted to investigators to having had "two or three drinks" along with prescribed Adderall before the crash.

Authorities have said they are still awaiting toxicology reports in the case, and no charges have been filed.

5 hours ago, paco said:

Ruh roh

He admitted to drinking, I don't care how much he had everyone handles alcohol different and then taken with a stimulant. He should automatically be thrown in prison

After a little superficial research, it looks like Missouri has liberal DWI sentencing guidelines. Unlike most other states (PA included), in Missouri, charges can be dismissed or plea bargained down to a lesser offense, and he could theoretically get no jail time. The civil case is another matter, but as far as him going behind bars, he might end up on probation with attending a mandatory drug/alcohol counselling program w/testing as his sentence.