Defense Wins Championships

wtfcares

More specifically Defense and Line-Play Wins Championships. 

This Super Bowl can put to rest the theory that in today’s NFL defenses aren’t valuable. Or that you need an incredible offense to go head to head with teams like the chiefs. It’s been proven time and time again in this sport, defense and strong line play is what wins in the end. The Bucs D won this game. The Chiefs O even with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman also looked completely pedestrian without their top OL. We have witnessed again what matters in this sport. 

I hope Howie and Lurie see this and put to bed the thought of drafting another shiny toy WR at 6 that’s never going to live up to his hype of being drafted that high. Concentrate on bringing in quality, blue chip players to boost our lacking LBs, Secondary and inject youth in our OL and DL. That is the recipe for building consistent success. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

This Super Bowl can put to rest the theory that in today’s NFL defenses aren’t valuable. Or that you need an incredible offense to go head to head with teams like the chiefs. It’s been proven time and time again in this sport, defense and strong line play is what wins in the end. The Bucs D won this game. The Chiefs O even with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman also looked completely pedestrian without their top OL. We have witnessed again what matters in this sport. 

I hope Howie and Lurie see this and put to bed the thought of drafting another shiny toy WR at 6 that’s never going to live up to his hype of being drafted that high. Concentrate on bringing in quality, blue chip players to boost our lacking LBs, Secondary and inject youth in our OL and DL. That is the recipe for building consistent success. 

I agree with you to a degree and have long been saying that the D needs more help.

I think to win a Super Bowl you either need an elite D and a QB that gets hot at the right time, or an elite QB with a D that is good enough (Chiefs last year).

In terms of the draft, I don't know. I've long been saying that we have badly neglected the D in the draft. But whoever remains out of Wentz and Hurts definitely needs help to get back on track, so I'm not against Chase or Smith. I'm no draft expert, but are Surtain or Farley worth pick 6? Sewell will be gone and we are at a good place at OT anyway. Can't see them picking a LB at 6.

Not as simple as stated.  Two starting tackles missing.  Mahomie was clearly hobbled and running for his life all game. Reid's head was elsewhere (poor guy and his kids. feel for him.) KC had no answer to two deep safeties 80% of the time which was baffling. Not surprised that they abandoned the run even when the score was relatively close because... Reid. Tampa's D played good though and hats off to Bowles. He turned that defense around BIG time.  So don't forget the impact of the DC which I would argue is just as important as the players you are clamoring for.

• Like 4

Literally every year after the Super Bowl, some fan starts a topic that the Eagles need to be just like whatever team just won the SB. 

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree with you to a degree and have long been saying that the D needs more help.

I think to win a Super Bowl you either need an elite D and a QB that gets hot at the right time, or an elite QB with a D that is good enough (Chiefs last year).

In terms of the draft, I don't know. I've long been saying that we have badly neglected the D in the draft. But whoever remains out of Wentz and Hurts definitely needs help to get back on track, so I'm not against Chase or Smith. I'm no draft expert, but are Surtain or Farley worth pick 6? Sewell will be gone and we are at a good place at OT anyway. Can't see them picking a LB at 6.

I think the best value at 6 is probably going to be Parsons. He also fits a huge need at MLB for us, especially if it’s true Gannon will be running more of a 2 deep safety scheme. But alas given this teams history at LB, it’s very unlikely to happen. 

We could also trade back a few spots, pickup a 2nd or 3rd and still get one of Surtan or Farley to solidify our secondary. 

I also don’t think our OL is that set. Mailata/Dillard are still very much unknowns. Lane and Brooks recent injuries are also cause for concern. Seawell and Slater are being projected as franchise tackles. One of them should be available and would be an excellent pick. 

14 minutes ago, judunno said:

Not as simple as stated.  Two starting tackles missing.  Mahomie was clearly hobbled and running for his life all game. Reid's head was elsewhere (poor guy and his kids. feel for him.) KC had no answer to two deep safeties 80% of the time which was baffling. Not surprised that they abandoned the run even when the score was relatively close because... Reid. Tampa's D played good though and hats off to Bowles. He turned that defense around BIG time.  So don't forget the impact of the DC which I would argue is just as important as the players you are clamoring for.

Agreed on the DC. That was a huge impact and it’s shocking that he’s not getting a HC opportunity. 

With regards to the chiefs O though, I think Mahomes and Reid were still executing. Their biggest issue imo was the tackles missing. That constant pressure threw off everything. That further pushes the point though that even if you have the greatest athletes at QB and WR and TE, a weak OL will crumble them. If he have the opportunity to grab a franchise OT in Seawell or Slater we should do that. 

An offense that can sustain long drives is a good defense, it keeps the ball out of the hands of the opponents offense, plus your defense gets rest.  Offense in the NFL has gotten ridiculous. 
 Offensive lines love running the ball, they like being the hammer, not the nail for 75-80% of the game.  Down 10 points in the 2nd quarter OMG, we gotta pass, pass, pass, and it’s stupid.      
 Throw to score, run to win, the Patriots have used that philosophy for awhile, and it’s worked for them the past 20 years. 

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

No.

57 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

I think the best value at 6 is probably going to be Parsons. He also fits a huge need at MLB for us, especially if it’s true Gannon will be running more of a 2 deep safety scheme. But alas given this teams history at LB, it’s very unlikely to happen. 

We could also trade back a few spots, pickup a 2nd or 3rd and still get one of Surtan or Farley to solidify our secondary. 

I also don’t think our OL is that set. Mailata/Dillard are still very much unknowns. Lane and Brooks recent injuries are also cause for concern. Seawell and Slater are being projected as franchise tackles. One of them should be available and would be an excellent pick. 

This.  Of course, you need a trade partner.  I can see moving to 12 with the Niners.  Especially if Wilson or Fields are still on the board at 6. They get 6, we get 12 and 43.  I REALLY want a Lito/Sheldon/M Lewis draft.  This secondary needs a revamp.

• Like 2

I think this is mostly true, if not 100% true. After all, though our edge rushers made the difference in 52, we also gave up 500.

Still...probably the best example of this is the team to finally knock off the powerhouse Niners in the post-season years ago: The Giants with their ferocious pass rush. They utterly dominated from start to finish and Montana looked like a rookie in that game. 

Having a great DL and secondary is a must for a post-season run IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Literally every year after the Super Bowl, some fan starts a topic that the Eagles need to be just like whatever team just won the SB. 

Remember when the niners made it to the super bowl with 10 offensive coordinators so we tried to convince ourselves that it would work here with 30? Good times

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Remember when the niners made it to the super bowl with 10 offensive coordinators so we tried to convince ourselves that it would work here with 30? Good times

Yup.

The Giants: we just need a dominant D line and a little luck
The Colts, Saints and Packers:  we need an elite QB, you can't win without a top 5 QB
Ravens, Bucs: you don't need an elite QB, you need a dominant defense
Broncos, Seahawks: you don't need an elite QB but you need a great QB and a very good defense.
Patriots (depending on the year): we need 2 stud TEs, or we need a top WR, or we need to spread the ball to multiple WRs, or we need...
Rams: we need the greatest show on turf, a great RB, solid QB and 2 great WRs

Eagles 1st Super Bowl ever:  pretty good defense, pretty good line, backup journeyman QB, veteran free agents on their last shot, 3rd string RB scoring TDs, trick plays, whatever it takes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Cant argue that the bucs d did an incredible job throughout the playoffs setting the tone in every game.  Then they did it again in the super bowl.

i believe the ravens did that as well when they won the super bowl.  

I want the eagles d to be dominate more than anything.  I just like to watch great defenses period

But im also not going to say "the key  to winning a super bowl is great defense above all else”.  

Because it’s a mixed bag.  Just look at the eagles run to the championship.  Our d gave up +500yrds in the air.  Yet we won with balls out play calling and a qb who was on fire

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Oh yeah... what about Feb 5th, 2018?   Huh?   What about that one?  

:lol:    But, you are so right.  

31 points, Brady had 3 tds by halftime didn’t he?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, judunno said:

image.thumb.png.9437122bdfc3e5a3be7d9930e6c22fb9.png

58 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Oh yeah... what about Feb 5th, 2018?   Huh?   What about that one?  

:lol:    But, you are so right.  

Obvious posts about what it would take to repeat. :smoke:

• Haha 1

Good Drafting wins championships by giving coaches something to work with. Howie Has never drafted a replacement for Dawkins. A great Safety is a QB of defensive backs. Jenkins and Rodney formed a good pair in 2017, but 1 is gone ad 1 is broken. I have a dream!!!! Eagles drafting a Safety in the second or top of the 3rd round. 

12 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Agreed on the DC. That was a huge impact and it’s shocking that he’s not getting a HC opportunity. 

With regards to the chiefs O though, I think Mahomes and Reid were still executing. Their biggest issue imo was the tackles missing. That constant pressure threw off everything. That further pushes the point though that even if you have the greatest athletes at QB and WR and TE, a weak OL will crumble them. If he have the opportunity to grab a franchise OT in Seawell or Slater we should do that. 

Bowles is barely 2 years removed from 3 years as Jets HC where he compiled a record of 14 - 34, it's not shocking at all he's not getting a HC opportunity yet.

On the point of the original post, yes we need a better secondary and linebackers, but ultimately the defense last year deserved a better record than 4-11-1, we were the seventh worst scoring team in the league, the offense needs to be better at scoring points and sustaining drives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Bowles is barely 2 years removed from 3 years as Jets HC where he compiled a record of 14 - 34, it's not shocking at all he's not getting a HC opportunity yet.

On the point of the original post, yes we need a better secondary and linebackers, but ultimately the defense last year deserved a better record than 4-11-1, we were the seventh worst scoring team in the league, the offense needs to be better at scoring points and sustaining drives.

Yeah Bowles is, similar to Schwartz a really good DC, but not so good a HC. He might get another opportunity if he keeps going like this.

9 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

31 points, Brady had 3 tds by halftime didn’t he?

Exactly. This isn’t the game to start talking about how defense wins championships. Yes the Bucs D was great, but the Chiefs could have put up 30 and still lost the game. 

16 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Sounds shockingly like the situation the boys in Midnight Green have been dealing with....<_<

4 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Good Drafting wins championships by giving coaches something to work with. Howie Has never drafted a replacement for Dawkins. A great Safety is a QB of defensive backs. Jenkins and Rodney formed a good pair in 2017, but 1 is gone ad 1 is broken. I have a dream!!!! Eagles drafting a Safety in the second or top of the 3rd round. 

Thought Adderley would be the pick instead of jjawtf. Haven't kept track of him I'm SD (LA) but hard to say it could be worse than what we've had