Defense Wins Championships

wtfcares

It takes a full team effort (from the front office, down) to win a championship, and it takes more than just a single game (the Super Bowl), to win a championship. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 1:55 PM, wtfcares said:

More specifically Defense and Line-Play Wins Championships. 

This Super Bowl can put to rest the theory that in today’s NFL defenses aren’t valuable. Or that you need an incredible offense to go head to head with teams like the chiefs. It’s been proven time and time again in this sport, defense and strong line play is what wins in the end. The Bucs D won this game. The Chiefs O even with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman also looked completely pedestrian without their top OL. We have witnessed again what matters in this sport. 

I hope Howie and Lurie see this and put to bed the thought of drafting another shiny toy WR at 6 that’s never going to live up to his hype of being drafted that high. Concentrate on bringing in quality, blue chip players to boost our lacking LBs, Secondary and inject youth in our OL and DL. That is the recipe for building consistent success. 

Speaking of Howie, Lurie and bed...

Defense wins championships:

Eagles win championship giving up 500 yards of offense to Brady and outscoring them in a shootout.

:lol:

• Like 2

Which defender has played in 10 Super Bowls and won seven of them?

Spouting a BS cliche like "defense wins championships” after a team with the greatest QB of all time, probably three other offensive HOFers, just won the super bowl putting up over 30 points is 😆

23 hours ago, Portyansky said:

While I agree. But SB LII had no defense. Well, not until the Graham strip sack. 🤣

Yeah the bg strip sack was maybe just as big as philly philly. And yes the patriots d stunk it up that day.  And i will add, jenkins hit on cooks was a huge play that took their deep threat right off the table   Who knows what happens in that game if jenkins doesnt make that pop (which was completely clean btw) but I digress.  Both d’s gave up the booty  

But  both the bg play and the jenkins hit where individual effoet plays.  Not to be mistaking for what i conceder defensive domination.   That’s pretty much all BG and what BG does which is come up with huge efforts and individual game changing plays.  Meanwhile the secondary  giving up +500 yrds (w/o cooks)

The 2017 eagles d is in the bottom half in the super bowl teams defenses in the super bowl era.  But nick foles is in the top ten all time greatest super bowl qb performances imo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Defense wins championships:

Eagles win championship giving up 500 yards of offense to Brady and outscoring them in a shootout.

:lol:

3 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Yeah the bg strip sack was maybe just as big as philly philly. And yes the patriots d stunk it up that day.  And i will add, jenkins hit on cooks was a huge play that took their deep threat right off the table   Who knows what happens in that game if jenkins doesnt make that pop (which was completely clean btw) but I digress.  Both d’s gave up the booty  

But  both the bg play and the jenkins hit where individual effoet plays.  Not to be mistaking for what i conceder defensive domination.   That’s pretty much all BG and what BG does which is come up with huge efforts and individual game changing plays.  Meanwhile the secondary  giving up +500 yrds (w/o cooks)

The 2017 eagles d is in the bottom half in the super bowl teams defenses in the super bowl era.  But nick foles is in the top ten all time greatest super bowl qb performances imo

While the D gave up a ton in the super bowl, they were the only reason we were even playing in the SB. They won the Falcons game for us and were the major reason for the big turnaround in the Vikings game. 

And yes they still made the big play in the 4th to stop Brady. If that game had continued to be a shootout, how many here are confident we end up winning it without the strip sack?

On 2/10/2021 at 4:25 AM, Traveler Vic said:

Good Drafting wins championships by giving coaches something to work with. Howie Has never drafted a replacement for Dawkins. A great Safety is a QB of defensive backs. Jenkins and Rodney formed a good pair in 2017, but 1 is gone ad 1 is broken. I have a dream!!!! Eagles drafting a Safety in the second or top of the 3rd round. 

Really? Tampa just won with a crap ton of FA pickups.

What wins Championships is good QB play at the right time, calling the right plays at the right time and a whole lot of luck. There is no magic formula. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2021 at 8:16 PM, wtfcares said:

I think the best value at 6 is probably going to be Parsons. He also fits a huge need at MLB for us, especially if it’s true Gannon will be running more of a 2 deep safety scheme. But alas given this teams history at LB, it’s very unlikely to happen. 

We could also trade back a few spots, pickup a 2nd or 3rd and still get one of Surtan or Farley to solidify our secondary. 

I also don’t think our OL is that set. Mailata/Dillard are still very much unknowns. Lane and Brooks recent injuries are also cause for concern. Seawell and Slater are being projected as franchise tackles. One of them should be available and would be an excellent pick. 

I don't think Mailata is a unknown. He played a lot at LT last year and was good. I think the only question is has he reached his ceiling or is there more to come. No doubt in my mind he is a legitimate starting NFL tackle. Dillard is more of an unknown, but was a first round pick who did okay at LT (he was a disaster at RT) in his rookie year. Eagles were happy to roll with him this year before he got hurt. Johnson is a returning all-pro. Injuries are a concern yes, but we have Driscoll who played well when he had to and will hopefully develop. I'm fine with those 4 at tackle. 

Interior line - yes we could do with investing there, but there's nobody in the top 10 at G/C worth drafting.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:07 PM, NOTW said:

Literally every year after the Super Bowl, some fan starts a topic that the Eagles need to be just like whatever team just won the SB. 

I don't really pay attention anymore but is the concept of trying to rebuild the losing team the day after the SB still a thing? I remember as a kid listening to radio and watching tv and the media would talk about everything that was wrong with the team that lost, and I remember thinking how stupid they all sounded. 

7 hours ago, pallidrone said:

What wins Championships is good QB play at the right time, calling the right plays at the right time and a whole lot of luck. There is no magic formula. 

Really? Tampa just won with a simplified scheme, that fit perfectly a ton of FA pickups and Having an opposing QB limp helped a  lot too. We can debate this all day, but your oversimplification is immature. KC was playing subpar. If KC executed the way they normally did through the season...the game would be quite evenly matched.

16 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Really? Tampa just won with a simplified scheme, that fit perfectly a ton of FA pickups and Having an opposing QB limp helped a  lot too. We can debate this all day, but your oversimplification is immature. KC was playing subpar. If KC executed the way they normally did through the season...the game would be quite evenly matched.

Football is not that hard so people come up with cliche to make it seem harder then it is. "Defense wins championships" "You win at the line of scrimmage" "Time of possession matters for winning football" It really is all just words and means nothing at the end of the day.

Football really comes down to only a few things

1) A organization from the owner, through the coaches and players all the way through that believe in one another and believe in a goal. It is just like another other business - those that believe in a product all the way through are the ones that are always successful.

2) Leaders that can inspire players. A QB that doesnt make mistakes, that can command a huddle. A defensive leader that can rally the players when the chips are down to get them to work together.

3) Mental toughness - being able to fight through blocks, bad plays or crowd noise to make a play. Mental toughness is a culmination of the first 2 items.

4) Acquiring talent that will work well with each other whether that is through drafting, FA, UDFA, etc. Just because one player plays well on one team does not mean he would play well on another - just like a player that was mediocre on a team may shine on another.

5) Luck - whether that is calling the right play at the right time - getting through the season with limited injuries - finding the right weak spot at the right time - playing a team at the exact time that you need to play them - Luck plays a major factor into football whether people want to believe it or not.

Everything else is moldable - it could be a team of young drafted players - it could be a team of veterans and FA. Maybe they are more defense focused with emphasis on the back 4 instead of the front 4 or maybe they are more offense driven and lean on the run more. All of that stuff can change from season to season, team to team. Schemes always change - personnel always changes - but football will always remain very simple.

10 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Football is not that hard so people come up with cliche to make it seem harder then it is. "Defense wins championships" "You win at the line of scrimmage" "Time of possession matters for winning football" It really is all just words and means nothing at the end of the day.

Football really comes down to only a few things

1) A organization from the owner, through the coaches and players all the way through that believe in one another and believe in a goal. It is just like another other business - those that believe in a product all the way through are the ones that are always successful.

2) Leaders that can inspire players. A QB that doesnt make mistakes, that can command a huddle. A defensive leader that can rally the players when the chips are down to get them to work together.

3) Mental toughness - being able to fight through blocks, bad plays or crowd noise to make a play. Mental toughness is a culmination of the first 2 items.

4) Acquiring talent that will work well with each other whether that is through drafting, FA, UDFA, etc. Just because one player plays well on one team does not mean he would play well on another - just like a player that was mediocre on a team may shine on another.

5) Luck - whether that is calling the right play at the right time - getting through the season with limited injuries - finding the right weak spot at the right time - playing a team at the exact time that you need to play them - Luck plays a major factor into football whether people want to believe it or not.

Everything else is moldable - it could be a team of young drafted players - it could be a team of veterans and FA. Maybe they are more defense focused with emphasis on the back 4 instead of the front 4 or maybe they are more offense driven and lean on the run more. All of that stuff can change from season to season, team to team. Schemes always change - personnel always changes - but football will always remain very simple.

You are describing the way football should be. "I am Wich you." NFL reality is quite different. Howie is in love with Wentz, so he paid him as if he married a Super model. Meanwhile Wentz like a Supermodel who married an 90 year old billionaire, got all the money and wants a quick divorce. Howie does not get fired, because he has pictures of the owner having sex with an underage sheep, or something like that. Basically it is a Soap Opera very reminiscent of Figaro. Everyone is Sneaking around. Remember how Doug was saying? "So an so is a great coach...and several days later this coach would get fired?" It's a fiasco. A comedy of errors. I Love it! Because I just can not stop laughing.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:29 PM, NOTW said:

Eagles 1st Super Bowl ever:  pretty good defense, pretty good line, backup journeyman QB, veteran free agents on their last shot, 3rd string RB scoring TDs, trick plays, whatever it takes.

And a coaching staff with balls and the willingness to adjust a scheme to fit the personnel on hand, even right before the playoffs.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, beto_eagles said:

Good teams win championships, that's it.

The Chiefs are a good team. Tampa Bays D killed them, so.

3 hours ago, Talonblood said:

The Chiefs are a good team. Tampa Bays D killed them, so.

No team is good when their starting offensive line is decimated w/ injury.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

No team is good when their starting offensive line is decimated w/ injury.  

Tampa's D would still have won the game for them. They were playing on fire. D wins championships. Always has, always will. Same is the NBA. Anyone can score points, but the team that can stop the other teams from scoring the most- wins... championships.

On 2/11/2021 at 7:01 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

I don't think Mailata is a unknown. He played a lot at LT last year and was good. I think the only question is has he reached his ceiling or is there more to come. No doubt in my mind he is a legitimate starting NFL tackle. Dillard is more of an unknown, but was a first round pick who did okay at LT (he was a disaster at RT) in his rookie year. Eagles were happy to roll with him this year before he got hurt. Johnson is a returning all-pro. Injuries are a concern yes, but we have Driscoll who played well when he had to and will hopefully develop. I'm fine with those 4 at tackle. 

Interior line - yes we could do with investing there, but there's nobody in the top 10 at G/C worth drafting.

After playing multiple draft simulations...I get the following results: 1) Either we trade down..and we should have multiple offers for 6. 2) We take either Ja'Mar Chase or more likely Kyle Pitts if we stay put. 3) A rare mock situation is one of the top 3 QBs slides down to us...but I have no idea what the Eagles will do if this happens. (Wilson is a rich boy with character issues. Will not fit in Philly. Fields???)

On 2/9/2021 at 3:07 PM, NOTW said:

Literally every year after the Super Bowl, some fan starts a topic that the Eagles need to be just like whatever team just won the SB. 

Very true... last year it was we need to draft 10 Tyreek Hillzzz's.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:44 AM, pallidrone said:

Agreed... there is no formula. You would think that health would be a part of that formula but the Eagles debunked that when they won without their starting franchise QB and a host of players. Just gotta catch fire at the right time and have some things roll your way. I don't think Tampa beats a KC team that was at full health. 

11 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Sounds like oline play wins championships. 

Well when you look at the partiots run and brady’s career, the guy has won 6 and 10 sb appearances or whatever it is And none of those years was he spending much time at all on his back or running for his life.   And nobody is going to say the patriots dynasty was predicated on dominating defenses either.  

16 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Tampa's D would still have won the game for them. They were playing on fire. D wins championships. Always has, always will. Same is the NBA. Anyone can score points, but the team that can stop the other teams from scoring the most- wins... championships.

I respectfully disagree and im a much bigger fan of great defenses than offenses. but that being said...

i believe a dominate defense can carry a team and win it all but there are plenty of ways to build a championship team.  And the most common way to do it is by getting a franchise qb.  The 2nd most common way is by building a rock solid and deep oline

7 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

I respectfully disagree and im a much bigger fan of great defenses than offenses. but that being said...

i believe a dominate defense can carry a team and win it all but there are plenty of ways to build a championship team.  And the most common way to do it is by getting a franchise qb.  The 2nd most common way is by building a rock solid and deep oline

I respect your right to be wrong. Defense wins championships. A great D will beat a great O every time. A franchise QB can't do shi* when he is on his a** all day. But I hear ya.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:05 PM, judunno said:

Agreed... there is no formula. You would think that health would be a part of that formula but the Eagles debunked that when they won without their starting franchise QB and a host of players. Just gotta catch fire at the right time and have some things roll your way. I don't think Tampa beats a KC team that was at full health. 

That was actually a really good, really well coached Eagles team. I think we gave a bit too much credit to Wentz and Foles at the time. They did play really well, but they had a dominant O-Line and very good skill players. Well balanced team.