State of the Roster: Which Players Do You Consider to be "Building Blocks"

time2rock

Just curious to see what everyone's thoughts are as to which players on the roster currently should be considered building blocks for the future.  That obviously leaves out guys like Kelce, Cox, Johnson, Brooks, Slay, etc., who are all past their prime and on the downside of their careers.  But it should also exclude players that have shown little to nothing so far.  So, who ya got?

Sanders?

Goedert?

Mailata?

Reagor?

• Like 3

Goedert yes definitely. Reagor yes. Mailata perhaps though he's still got a way to go I think. 

For me though Sanders? Look I think he's a really good young talent. I think he flashed last year but overall I think it was a disappointing year from him (not all his fault). But he's a RB. He's got 2 years left on his rookie deal and then do we give him a big contract? I'm not sure we should with a RB.

• Like 1

Young building blocks:

Hurts, Sanders, Goedert, Reagor, Mailata - studs (Hargrave is 28. is that too old already?)

Driscoll, Fulgham, Ward, Scott, Barnett, Sweat, Maddox, Mills - solid rotational

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Goedert yes definitely. Reagor yes. Mailata perhaps though he's still got a way to go I think. 

For me though Sanders? Look I think he's a really good young talent. I think he flashed last year but overall I think it was a disappointing year from him (not all his fault). But he's a RB. He's got 2 years left on his rookie deal and then do we give him a big contract? I'm not sure we should with a RB.

I agree on Sanders - I don't know if you consider him a "building block".  I don't know man, I think it is a challenge to say any player fits that description.  Goedert perhaps.  Reagor underwhelmed in his rookie year.  A lot of that had to do with QB play and piss poor play calling, so he is more a "TBD" IMO.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I agree on Sanders - I don't know if you consider him a "building block".  I don't know man, I think it is a challenge to say any player fits that description.  Goedert perhaps.  Reagor underwhelmed in his rookie year.  A lot of that had to do with QB play and piss poor play calling, so he is more a "TBD" IMO.  

Oh absolutely mate. I think Goedert can be but he is also a TE and do you build around a TE? No you don't but I guess the question is around a 'building block' and I think he certainly falls in to that category.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Not sure I'd call any player on this team a "building block".

That's kind of where I am.  You could potentially make an argument for this player or that player ... but even those are few.  

• Like 1

I like Sanders, but it’s just not wise to "marry” a running back. Date them for a few years then move on. I wouldn’t consider a RB a building block. The others listed can certainly be building blocks and be a part of this team if somehow it turns competitive again after a couple offseasons. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I like Sanders, but it’s just not wise to "marry” a running back. Date them for a few years then move on. I wouldn’t consider a RB a building block. The others listed can certainly be building blocks and be a part of this team if somehow it turns competitive again after a couple offseasons. 

Very true, You can always draft good running talent when you get a few years out of the current guy.

• Like 2

Mailata and Sweat for sure. Maybe reagor depending on this year. Goedert and Sanders are always hurt. I guess mills if he still counts as young, Maddox has been up and down not sure if you can build around him.

• Like 1

Nice post. I think this is probably the most important thing that Howie needs to figure out next. The last time we went through a rebuild, he wisely extended players like Ertz, Cox, Graham, Jenkins, Kelce and Lane. They became the foundation of 2017 and it worked out pretty well. 

Now he needs to identify who will be the new foundation hopefully to compete for another SB in 2022-2023. I think he should be considering Mailata, Sweat, Goedert, Barnett (at a reasonable price), Hargrave, Ward, Singleton, Sanders and Mills. IMO, all of them could be part of a winning team. 

Building blocks, Mailata, Sweat and Hargrave you keep if you can, Goedert is better than Ertz now and should be part of the future, Sanders is a good player and I'd absolutely keep him around but if you're a tailback who can't rush for 1000yards then your receiving has to be good enough to get you up to 1300-1500 scrimmage yards and last year it wasn't,  Reagor will obviously be around but he needs a BIG sophomore season, Seumalo probably has to stay even if only as cover for the interior line. Dillard needs a big year to cement his roster spot, Barnett is worth keeping if we can but it depends what he wants. Hurts gets a year to prove he can be the man but I expect to see at least a developmental QB brought in in the draft. Driscoll showed enough promise to keep coaching up as cover for the O Line who may kick on. I'd keep Ward as a solid slot receiver. There's nobody on the back end of the defense good enough or young enough to build around.

To be clear there are other guys I'd keep on the roster in the current circumstances (like Kelce, Cox, Graham and probably Jackson) and there are guys who will survive the cull simply because of the cap implications of moving them on (Johnson), but if I was offered dead cap amnesty and a free hand to clear the decks and rebuild I'd trade pretty much everyone who'd fetch any sort of pick return and cut most of the rest apart from the above and what I needed to complete a 53.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Building block might be a strong word, however, Sanders is pretty solid. Barring any serious injury he should provide a strong sense of stability at RB for us for years to come. 

When I look at the names above, it makes me realize how far this team is from competing in a serious way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Madriver said:

When I look at the names above, it makes me realize how far this team is from competing in a serious way.

Exactly!  That was the intent.  

We don't have a QB, so the cornerstone still isn't in place.

5 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

We don't have a QB, so the cornerstone still isn't in place.

Is it the QB or the O'line as a unit that is the cornerstone?

1 minute ago, West_Philly said:

Is it the QB or the O'line as a unit that is the cornerstone?

You need both, but premium QB play is essential.

4 hours ago, JohnB said:

Building block might be a strong word, however, Sanders is pretty solid. Barring any serious injury he should provide a strong sense of stability at RB for us for years to come. 

Oh there's nothing wrong with Sanders. I think he's a very good RB. I thought he had a slightly disappointing year but that's on the rotation and on the issues at QB as much as anything. But do you build around a RB? Or have him as a building block?

Building blocks for what, a championship level team?             I'm not sure there are any here aside from Goedert, and maybe Reagor and Mailata depending on how they progress.            I wouldn't count Sanders, because good organizations don't overpay RB's, and by the time the Eagles would theoretically be anywhere near that level he will be into his second contract and should have been replaced.            Hurts?         We have no idea if he is anything beyond a nice backup at this point.

The Eagles have a bunch of JAG's, some better than others, but no one that anyone else in the league would be knocking the doors down to have.         That is the result of Roseman's work since the Super Bowl year, and there is no reason to believe that it will suddenly change.         While this annual exercise of "what 'Howie' needs to do is..." might be fun for some, it is in fact fantasy world.             As long as he is calling the shots, what we've seen is what we'll get.

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Just curious to see what everyone's thoughts are as to which players on the roster currently should be considered building blocks for the future.  That obviously leaves out guys like Kelce, Cox, Johnson, Brooks, Slay, etc., who are all past their prime and on the downside of their careers.  But it should also exclude players that have shown little to nothing so far.  So, who ya got?

Sanders?  √

Goedert? √

Mailata? √

Reagor? √

Yes, yes, yes and yes. All are pieces of the present and future for this team.

8 hours ago, devpool said:

I guess mills if he still counts as young, Maddox has been up and down not sure if you can build around him.

Unbelievable, both of those guys should be cut ASAP!!

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh there's nothing wrong with Sanders. I think he's a very good RB. I thought he had a slightly disappointing year but that's on the rotation and on the issues at QB as much as anything. But do you build around a RB? Or have him as a building block?

I think RBs are a dime a dozen, use em for a few years and then get a new model. Its a different era, even the Saquon's and Eilliots have less value than they did a few years ago. However, a truly elite generational RB is still a building block. I would build my team around a guy like Barry Sanders without even a second thought... only trouble is those guys dont grow in trees everyday. 

Sanders is a good back, with exciting potential. I would very much like to see him stay around for the next 5 years, but I am not building my unit around him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Yes, yes, yes and yes. All are pieces of the present and future for this team.

I'm not sure about Goedert, it seemed to me he turned into a wuss after an injury.