State of the Roster: Which Players Do You Consider to be "Building Blocks"

time2rock

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

You know this roster is sorry if people are calling JALEN MILLS a building block.

I like Mills he is a solid depth guy, and I gotta give him mad props. He has done an incredible job using is swagger to create the illusion of competence among the fanbase. Agreed... not a building block, it's laughable

28 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I'm not sure about Goedert, it seemed to me he turned into a wuss after an injury.

You know, you have a point there. In the back of my mind, I had a few questions about him, but thought it was just me nit picking. I wonder if the FO does? 

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

You know, you have a point there. In the back of my mind, I had a few questions about him, but thought it was just me nit picking. I wonder if the FO does? 

I do like Goedert, but if Chase is gone at #6, I’d love to see them draft Pitts. If that happens, I’m not so sure Goedert is here long term. 

• Like 1

State of the Roster = Rebuilding. Out with the old..In with the young and affordable. Hurts is the starting QB...unless Howie decides to draft a QB in the first...and then Goodbye Locker room, as the whole team will split into camps.

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I do like Goedert, but if Chase is gone at #6, I’d love to see them draft Pitts. If that happens, I’m not so sure Goedert is here long term. 

Pitts is a beast, so I am with you on that one- as you said... if Chase is gone.

They don't really have any. A few youngsters have flashed but it's not enough to earn the "Building Block" label.

Does "building block" mean potential pro-bowler or is it like "could be a solid starter on a competitive team?" 

IMO the offense has some decent young talent -- it's too early to write off Dillard as well -- but the D needs a couple of superstars. Cox has been great but he's aging out, and so is Slay, and that leaves us with.... 

We have to hit on some draft picks. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh there's nothing wrong with Sanders. I think he's a very good RB. I thought he had a slightly disappointing year but that's on the rotation and on the issues at QB as much as anything. But do you build around a RB? Or have him as a building block?

I don't think you build a team around a running back these days, but each position needs to have that cornerstone. I think Sanders is as good as anyone. 

7 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I think RBs are a dime a dozen, use em for a few years and then get a new model. Its a different era, even the Saquon's and Eilliots have less value than they did a few years ago. However, a truly elite generational RB is still a building block. I would build my team around a guy like Barry Sanders without even a second thought... only trouble is those guys dont grow in trees everyday. 

Sanders is a good back, with exciting potential. I would very much like to see him stay around for the next 5 years, but I am not building my unit around him.  

And that is where I am at. I mean I think Saquon is a generational talent (if he can stay healthy) but yes in general I agree that RBs are a dime a dozen. Run them in to the ground for a few years and then bring another in. I'm a big Sanders fan but I don't think we should potentially give him big money in 2 years time.

There are no surefire building blocks on this team. Dead serious. Some nice players here and there but no true bonafide studs at all. The season upcoming may prove otherwise but no one atm is young and overly impressive to say they have to be a part of becoming "not a dumpster fire."

The homers point to Sanders, Goedart, Sweat....but there are strong negatives to each of them. This is how terrible Howie has been. 

14 hours ago, Swoop said:

You know this roster is sorry if people are calling JALEN MILLS a building block.

I think he played well at safety. Just looked bad again at outside corner.

14 hours ago, Madriver said:

When I look at the names above, it makes me realize how far this team is from competing in a serious way.

Not really. For competing you don't need a team consisting of only young guys. You are allowed some Vets..

We need to trade EVERYONE over 30 for picks and rebuild.  Our roster has very little young talent.  The building block conversation will have to wait until we have some

On 2/25/2021 at 8:14 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

I like Sanders, but it’s just not wise to "marry” a running back. Date them for a few years then move on. I wouldn’t consider a RB a building block. The others listed can certainly be building blocks and be a part of this team if somehow it turns competitive again after a couple offseasons. 

agree.  I like Sanders a lot.  They need a better complementary back to go along with him.  But RBs are probably the easiest position to replace in the NFL and their durability isn't always as long as other players.  You really have to always be adding talent at RB to develop.  3rd-5th round picks are great for that.

• Like 1

Young building blocks?  Goedert? Mailata maybe?  If Hurts becomes the long-term starter?  Barnett?  

But honestly, there's not a single player who is irreplaceable at this point, after veterans like Kelce, Cox, Graham there are no young franchise difference makers.  Howie is that bad at drafting and their best players were drafted by Reid or signed as free agents.  The cupboard is quite bare.

And the guys who are going to rebuild the roster are an Accountant fantasy football nerd playing GM with Lurie's money, and a young green Head Coach who has never even called plays before.

4 hours ago, weko said:

We need to trade EVERYONE over 30 for picks and rebuild.  Our roster has very little young talent.  The building block conversation will have to wait until we have some

7 of the 10 guys 30 and over are already cut will be cut or free agents anyways. 

On 2/25/2021 at 5:30 AM, time2rock said:

I agree on Sanders - I don't know if you consider him a "building block".  I don't know man, I think it is a challenge to say any player fits that description.  Goedert perhaps.  Reagor underwhelmed in his rookie year.  A lot of that had to do with QB play and piss poor play calling, so he is more a "TBD" IMO.  

Yeah or the most part rb’s arent building blocks for teams.  Their interchangeable. Look at gurley.  A couple great seasons and poof, knees shot and byebye.  

Grabbing a FA rb every couple years has actually worked for the Eagles.  

On 2/25/2021 at 8:42 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh absolutely mate. I think Goedert can be but he is also a TE and do you build around a TE? No you don't but I guess the question is around a 'building block' and I think he certainly falls in to that category.

I think Howie strongly disagrees with "you don’t build around a TE”. So we should consider Goedert a building block in my opinion 

Right now everything should be on the table.  Some have said they will draft Kyle Pitts.  Well, I wouldn't.  But, if the team thinks he's the next great TE and a real difference maker for the next 8-10 years then maybe you do that.  You have him and Goedert for a couple years (he's never been the starter here, 2nd fiddle to Ertz).  If Goedert has another injury issue maybe they move on.  If he's great and so is Pitts then you have that dynamic duo again.  Or you have a "TE factory" situation and can trade someone.

At OT they have Lane Johnson (beast but aging and injuries), Mailata (becoming a beast, still developing) and Dillard (unproven potential).  But if they think there's an absolute stud at OT they might take him.

The pressure is on for that #6 pick to be a franchise changing player, regardless of the position.  And they're picking high in each round.  So the 2nd rounder could be a 1st round talent that falls.  They must nail these 2 picks regardless of position just go BPA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The pressure is on for that #6 pick to be a franchise changing player, regardless of the position. 

This is the key. Especially in a year where I would think at least 3 QBs go off the board before they pick. 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:03 AM, Swoop said:

Not sure I'd call any player on this team a "building block".

Mailata perhaps, depending how he progresses.

It’s funny, before I even opened the thread I pondered the question, and came up with the exact same two statements.  Then I felt weird that Mailata, as a recent 7th round project pick, would even enter my mind at all.  Was actually pleased to see that he was included in the initial few options.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 8:23 AM, Infam said:

Young building blocks:

Hurts, Sanders, Goedert, Reagor, Mailata - studs (Hargrave is 28. is that too old already?)

Driscoll, Fulgham, Ward, Scott, Barnett, Sweat, Maddox, Mills - solid rotational

Hurts and Reagor qualify as studs?  Amazing

I did not expect so many people here thinking that Reagor is a solid block for building

I think he showed next to nothing last year. I'm not sure he'll end up being here past his rookie contract. Maybe even gone sooner.