Who is the Eagles next Franchise QB?

dsryan24

Who is the Eagles QB of the future?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the QB of the future be for the Eagles? Is he on the roster?

• Jalen Hurts
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson
    • Mac Jones
    • Trey Lance
    • 2022 NFL Draft QB

I predict Hurts will have a very solid first full year as a starter. So much went wrong last season, that Eagles fans are underestimating this team moving forward. If Kelce doesn't retire, we may go from having the worst overall O-line (in terms of performance last year) to one of the best with the return of a healthy Brooks and Johnson, and the development of Mailata and Herbig last season. That alone will make a huge difference in what the offense can do and how long drives last. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I predict Hurts will have a very solid first full year as a starter. So much went wrong last season, that Eagles fans are underestimating this team moving forward. If Kelce doesn't retire, we may go from having the worst overall O-line (in terms of performance last year) to one of the best with the return of a healthy Brooks and Johnson, and the development of Mailata and Herbig last season. That alone will make a huge difference in what the offense can do and how long drives last. 

Agreed. Kelce is the key, if we can tempt him into staying the line looks like this

LT Mailata - Dillard

LG - Isaac - Opeta

C - Kelce - Isaac

RG - Brooks - Herbig

RT -  Johnson - Driscoll.

Both Brooks and Johnson are injury risks, but that's a deep line. Really just need to add another interior guy and that looks good.

I think that either extreme would work well for the Eagles. It is the middle scenario that is also the most likely outcome which will cause the most problems. 

1. Hurts balls out. Great keep building around him. 

2. Hurts ****s. Great top five draft pick. Get a QB in a weak '22 class. 

3. Hurts is meh and the team finish around .500. Crap. Now the team doesn't know what to do with Hurts and it won't be drafting high enough to get a quality QB without trading up. In this case, does the team give Hurts more time, pushing back the rebuild another few years? Does it take a chance on a QB in the middle first or second round to replace Hurts? Does it just sign an expensive veteran QB? This scenario seems the most likely as Hurts probably won't be really good or really bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kentwo said:

3. Hurts is meh and the team finish around .500. Crap. Now the team doesn't know what to do with Hurts and it won't be drafting high enough to get a quality QB without trading up. In this case, does the team give Hurts more time pushing back the rebuild another few years? Does it take a chance of a QB in the middle first or second round to replace Hurts? Does it just sign an expensive veteran QB? This scenario seems the most likely as Hurts probably won't be really good or really bad. 

Yeah that's the one that Hurts us (get it, get it. OK sorry that was lame). And as you say that's probably the most likely outcome for this team. I think Hurts is going to be pretty good. But pretty good on a bad roster isn't going to be good enough to be real good but also isn't going to have us absolutely suck.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that's the one that Hurts us (get it, get it. OK sorry that was lame). And as you say that's probably the most likely outcome for this team. I think Hurts is going to be pretty good. But pretty good on a bad roster isn't going to be good enough to be real good but also isn't going to have us absolutely suck.

The tricky thing is that Hurts looks to be more successful on a bad team as his scrambling ability can help him make plays. So far, he hasn't shown that he can sit in pocket behind a good Oline, read defenses, and pick them apart. Of course, the Oline this past year was a mess, but some of that could also be seen in college. Next year, if the team is bad he might be the best fit for that style of play. Maybe he can also learn to improve as a passer as he can't be a running QB forever, age and injuries slow all players down. The Eagles will have a tough time weighing in all those factors as they decide how much time to give him. Especially if he does enough to win games with his athleticism, but not enough to win as a traditional QB. Do they keep someone the fans/players may like, someone who is exciting to watch, but does not fit their offense? Or do they go in a different direction? He is also "only" a 2nd round pick and one that wasn't selected by the current coaches, which shortens his leash a bit. 

14 minutes ago, kentwo said:

He is also "only" a 2nd round pick and one that wasn't selected by the current coaches, which shortens his leash a bit. 

He wasn't selected by the previous coaches either yet here we are with the same guy who chose him. 

4 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I dunno, the QB factory has so many on the assembly line that I just can't choose.

Lol good one

3.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Deshaun Watson had his best year statistically without Hopkins to drive that point home a little further. Even if the oline was great I would still rather have good to great weapons at all 3 skill positions then just one elite Receiver. 

Another example is Antonio Brown was once the greatest receiver in the league didn't win squat. Gets on a team with multiple weapons at every position and now he is a super bowl champ cause defenses can't focus on one player. 

AB getting a ring after all he did to self sabotage his nfl career boggles the mind.    

I would never have predicted it

1 hour ago, SNOORDA said:

AB getting a ring after all he did to self sabotage his nfl career boggles the mind.    

I would never have predicted it

I know, sometimes deekheads like that never suffer the consequences of their actions and it's BS

56 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know, sometimes deekheads like that never suffer the consequences of their actions and it's BS

Not in any other line of work really.  

Professional sports and entertainers seem to be immune to being unhireable though depending on if they can help win and/or bring in money

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Agreed to many are so focused on the big playmaking receiver. The have to make sure they are good on the oline or that fancy receiver is going to be usless. 

While true, they have proven they can find pieces for the OL later though. Or maybe Stout is just a magician or both. But to get a receiver at that level you better use a high first. 

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed. Kelce is the key, if we can tempt him into staying the line looks like this

LT Mailata - Dillard

LG - Isaac - Opeta

C - Kelce - Isaac

RG - Brooks - Herbig

Both Brooks and Johnson are injury risks, but that's a deep line. Really just need to add another interior guy and that looks good.

I think you are spot on! But I would be very surprised if they won't draft both a C and a LG looking at this.

11 minutes ago, Infam said:

While true, they have proven they can find pieces for the OL later though. Or maybe Stout is just a magician or both. But to get a receiver at that level you better use a high first. 

At this point I don't care who they draft anymore. Just want them to be good!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kentwo said:

I think that either extreme would work well for the Eagles. It is the middle scenario that is also the most likely outcome which will cause the most problems. 

3. Hurts is meh and the team finish around .500. Crap. Now the team doesn't know what to do with Hurts and it won't be drafting high enough to get a quality QB without trading up. In this case, does the team give Hurts more time, pushing back the rebuild another few years? Does it take a chance on a QB in the middle first or second round to replace Hurts? Does it just sign an expensive veteran QB? This scenario seems the most likely as Hurts probably won't be really good or really bad. 

Nice thing is we most likely have 2 first rounders next year if Hurts is only average (8 wins) to move up if need be. 

There were 3 full seasons between when Cunningham left and McNabb got drafted, and 6 full seasons between when McNabb left and Wentz got drafted.

The next "franchise QB”?  Might take longer than most think.  He’s probably playing high school ball somewhere at present 

9 hours ago, kentwo said:

Next year, if the team is bad he might be the best fit for that style of play.

The flip side to that though is that it's hard to develop and evaluate other players if the QB is running around making lots of plays with their legs. It's hard to evaluate guys like Mailata if Hurts is constantly getting out of the pocket. It's hard to develop the route running of WRs if the offense is constantly improvising. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The flip side to that though is that it's hard to develop and evaluate other players if the QB is running around making lots of plays with their legs. It's hard to evaluate guys like Mailata if Hurts is constantly getting out of the pocket. It's hard to develop the route running of WRs if the offense is constantly improvising. 

I think he threw the ball plenty enough. I don't think this is true.

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

I think he threw the ball plenty enough. I don't think this is true.

It isn't about how much he throws the ball though. WRs run routes right? In general those receivers are hit with a pass during their route or at the top of their route. But if a QB is running around buying time then the play breaks down and then it becomes about improvising. How can you evaluate how well a WR runs a route and makes himself available during that route if so many plays are improvised? How can you evaluate a OT and how they hold up in passing situations when the QB has escaped the pocket before it collapses?

On 2/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, D-Shiznit said:

If we trade upto #2, it will be Wilson. If we stay at #6, it will be Lance.

Anybody who thinks Howie will not draft a QB at 6 or higher is completely delusional.

If Howie has learned Anything! from his past mistakes He will not draft a QB until later in the draft. Drafting a QB up high will be Undermining not only Hurts but Siri, and the entire coaching staff that they have brought in and are familiar with Hurts. Drafting a QB up high will be like acknowledging that they made a mistake drafting Hurts. Right after they had to release Wentz?!? It would be ridiculous...Not impossible...but still ridiculous.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 2:07 PM, dsryan24 said:

Is he on the roster?

No and it will take us 5-10 years to find him unless Howie leaves

17 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

LT Mailata - Dillard

LG - Isaac - Opeta

C - Kelce - Isaac

RG - Brooks - Herbig

9 hours ago, Infam said:

I think you are spot on! But I would be very surprised if they won't draft both a C and a LG looking at this.

Honestly, I believe our situation at Center is currently: Kelce, Juriga, before Seumalo. I do totally expect a pick or two to be invested on the interior OL anyway, but the Eagles seem to be high on Juriga. For some reason (well, because Kelce rarely misses a snap)  he always gets left out of the discussion, but he was our #2 C last season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It isn't about how much he throws the ball though. WRs run routes right? In general those receivers are hit with a pass during their route or at the top of their route. But if a QB is running around buying time then the play breaks down and then it becomes about improvising. How can you evaluate how well a WR runs a route and makes himself available during that route if so many plays are improvised? How can you evaluate a OT and how they hold up in passing situations when the QB has escaped the pocket before it collapses?

I think that is what happened when Hurts played last season.

When he took off out of the pocket the WRs broke off their routes and it became backyard football. That allowed Hurts to run people open and make completions. But when in the pocket the WRs couldn't get separation on their routes and thus limited their effectiveness. Whoever is the WRs coach has a ton of work to do with that group as they either don't know how to or can't physically get open on routes.

20 hours ago, kentwo said:

Option 3 is the most likely scenario.  The Eagles will be more healthy next year, which wins a few extra games.  The problem with #3 is worse though than you make it out to be. Not only will they be out of prime QB contention, but to get there will require giving up a ton of resources that they can't give up.