Who is the Eagles next Franchise QB?

dsryan24

Who is the Eagles QB of the future?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the QB of the future be for the Eagles? Is he on the roster?

• Jalen Hurts
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson
    • Mac Jones
    • Trey Lance
    • 2022 NFL Draft QB

21 minutes ago, kentwo said:

I think that is what happened when Hurts played last season.

When he took off out of the pocket the WRs broke off their routes and it became backyard football. That allowed Hurts to run people open and make completions. But when in the pocket the WRs couldn't get separation on their routes and thus limited their effectiveness. Whoever is the WRs coach has a ton of work to do with that group as they either don't know how to or can't physically get open on routes.

And he still only completed 52% of his passes "running people open."  We are headed to backyard football, for sure.

20 hours ago, kentwo said:

So far, he hasn't shown that he can sit in pocket behind a good Oline, read defenses, and pick them apart. 

Here we go, "can' t read defenses", why is it we've didn't hear that about Wentz?

Moreover, when did he have a chance to "sit in the pocket behind a good Oline" with the Eagles?

we could be years away from finding the NEXT franchise qb. It took the Browns almost 30 years to get theirs. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's anyone on the roster now or anyone in the draft this year.  I think we are about to enter a period of QB turnover like most teams deal with.  Franchise QBs are hard to come by.  And with this team's FO....... Ya. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

When he took off out of the pocket the WRs broke off their routes and it became backyard football. That allowed Hurts to run people open and make completions. But when in the pocket the WRs couldn't get separation on their routes and thus limited their effectiveness. Whoever is the WRs coach has a ton of work to do with that group as they either don't know how to or can't physically get open on routes.

And hey if this team wants to go down the route of having a mobile running QB (even if that isn't Hurts) then having Hurts under center for a year isn't the end of the world. But if they want to keep their options open or they want to go back to a more traditional pocket passing QB (doesn't have to be a statue) then a year with Hurts under center could actually be slightly detrimental in some ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

we could be years away from finding the NEXT franchise qb. It took the Browns almost 30 years to get theirs. 

Yeah but we’ve got Howie Rose...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Sorry, I can’t get through that part without laughing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marks and Reese are talking about the Marcus Mariota rumor. Not sure how that one popped up.

5 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

And he still only completed 52% of his passes "running people open."  We are headed to backyard football, for sure.

He threw balls away ya fool

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 2:07 PM, dsryan24 said:

Is he on the roster?

Nope, still in school I think. I hope Hurts works out but I'm skeptical.

I think people are sliding on that slippery slope scenario. This is a team sport. I have seen good teams win it all with QBs that weren't really all that great (Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer), with backup QBs (Earl Morrall, Jeff Hostetler, Nick Foles) and I've seen great QBs on lesser teams that never won a Championship. Then there are QBs that have been on teams with a lot of success that are somehow in the HOF with very average play (Troy Aikman). 

So ... how does this relate to Hurts? He doesn't have to worry about any of those scenarios playing out. All he has to do is continue to learn all he can and work to improve as a player. He needs to do what the team asks him to do. If we need him to carry the team every week, then this team really isn't a great team (I.e. 2020 Eagles). No QB is going to lead his team to a Lombardi Trophy by himself. 

Hurts appears set to get a genuine opportunity this year with the Eagles. He displayed some nice traits as a rookie, as a leader. He's a lot more mature than, say ... Bobby Hoying and I don't believe he will crumble under the pressure of being "the guy" moving forward (like Hoying). There are a lot of things he can improve, but most of those things are the things you expect improvement on each year. He's a young QB with a long way to go, but that is exactly what any QB you draft is going to be, no matter how highly they are praised in college. Neither optimism nor pessimism is going to play a part in what actually happens. That only affects expectations. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 6:19 PM, brkmsn said:

I predict Hurts will have a very solid first full year as a starter. So much went wrong last season, that Eagles fans are underestimating this team moving forward. If Kelce doesn't retire, we may go from having the worst overall O-line (in terms of performance last year) to one of the best with the return of a healthy Brooks and Johnson, and the development of Mailata and Herbig last season. That alone will make a huge difference in what the offense can do and how long drives last. 

I couldn't agree more. Ok I would've said Mailata and Driscoll.. (Herbig? Must have missed something..) 😄

22 minutes ago, Infam said:

I couldn't agree more. Ok I would've said Mailata and Driscoll.. (Herbig? Must have missed something..) 😄

I guess so.

• Like 2

IMO, thanks to last year's disaster, now the Eagles are in pretty good shape in terms of OL. Even if Kelce retires, you can put Herbig at LG and move Seumalo to C. Mailata/Dillard-Herbig-Seumalo-Brooks-Lane is a pretty decent combination. And you still have Driscoll as swing tackle and Mailata if Dillard wins the starting spot at LT. 

If Kelce keeps playing, I think this could be a top 3 unit again. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 12:19 PM, brkmsn said:

I predict Hurts will have a very solid first full year as a starter. So much went wrong last season, that Eagles fans are underestimating this team moving forward. If Kelce doesn't retire, we may go from having the worst overall O-line (in terms of performance last year) to one of the best with the return of a healthy Brooks and Johnson, and the development of Mailata and Herbig last season. That alone will make a huge difference in what the offense can do and how long drives last. 

The return of a healthy Brooks and Johnson ... but (knock on wood here) can they stay healthy??  Both have been dealing with injuries a bit too frequently in recent years.  

Champ Winner  Alabama Class of 2034.

Why are none of the choices available free agents? 

There seems to be a majority here who think that the QB who should be added should be a veteran,  to pair with the young Hurts.    Very few seem to think that the Eagles should draft a QB with the #6 pick. 

The singlemost obvious choice for the Eagles this year,  if you were talking draft picks,  is Kyle Trask in the 2nd round.  Brian Johnson,  Eagles QB coach, was his QB coach and offensive coordinator last year with Florida,  and both Siri and Shane have always had big QBs (mostly Philip Rivers) as their starting QB, and Kyle Trask is right there sizewise 6'5 240. 

Having 2 second round QBs is good because it doesn't tip the scales in either direction,  neither QB is presumed better because he was drafted higher.  Perhaps the coaches can declare them equal,  and use them interchangeably,  use Hurts when you want to run more,  or whatever the case may be. 

Another choice could be veteran running QB,  which is what the answer to the question "who should the Eagles add"  should be.  

If you look at the answer to this question,  you'll see that pretty much nobody wants to draft a QB in the first,  if you were to do this again,  and you probably will because why not,   you can combine all the choices into drafted QB with #6. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Just curious - who was the LAST franchise QB the Eagles had?  McNabb, I guess...

It was obviously Wentz.

He's a classic franchise QB.   Franchise QBs are paid a lot of money and tend to underperform.    Teams either are happy with 6-10 records with their franchise QBs or they want to get out from under that contract as quickly as possible.   The Hall of Fame level QBs are a different story,  a tiny sliver at the top, above the franchise QBs.   You want the Hall of Fame QB for sure. 

On 3/1/2021 at 12:24 AM, Outlaw said:

Nice thing is we most likely have 2 first rounders next year if Hurts is only average (8 wins) to move up if need be. 

Yeah, maybe 8 wins is not good enough,  despite cap issues.

The Raiders have given Carr 7 years as a starter.  .500 or better 2 of that 7 years.  He's probably getting a big raise for his 1 year of 7 with a winning record.

Interesting to see how different teams respond.  How some QBs can fail year in and year out, and how some QBs are yanked despite doing about the same.

24 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Champ Winner  Alabama Class of 2034.

Why are none of the choices available free agents? 

There seems to be a majority here who think that the QB who should be added should be a veteran,  to pair with the young Hurts.    Very few seem to think that the Eagles should draft a QB with the #6 pick. 

The singlemost obvious choice for the Eagles this year,  if you were talking draft picks,  is Kyle Trask in the 2nd round.  Brian Johnson,  Eagles QB coach, was his QB coach and offensive coordinator last year with Florida,  and both Siri and Shane have always had big QBs (mostly Philip Rivers) as their starting QB, and Kyle Trask is right there sizewise 6'5 240. 

Having 2 second round QBs is good because it doesn't tip the scales in either direction,  neither QB is presumed better because he was drafted higher.  Perhaps the coaches can declare them equal,  and use them interchangeably,  use Hurts when you want to run more,  or whatever the case may be. 

Another choice could be veteran running QB,  which is what the answer to the question "who should the Eagles add"  should be.  

If you look at the answer to this question,  you'll see that pretty much nobody wants to draft a QB in the first,  if you were to do this again,  and you probably will because why not,   you can combine all the choices into drafted QB with #6. 

Count me as part of the crowd not wanting to spend a 1st rd pick on a QB this year.  Even further, I don’t even want to spend a day 2 pick on one.  We have so many holes on this roster ... I’d much rather spend those high picks on other positions and use 2021 (a year with almost certainty to be in the crapper) to get a more complete evaluation of Hurts.  Sign a vet like Taylor to backup Hurts and use a day 3 pick on a QB (if the right one is available when we pick ... no sense forcing a pick on someone like Thorson).  If Hurts grades out poorly in 2021 then go draft a QB high in 2022.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

The return of a healthy Brooks and Johnson ... but (knock on wood here) can they stay healthy??  Both have been dealing with injuries a bit too frequently in recent years.  

Exactly. A very good - excellent O line -- for how many games? Many of the rest of the positions weren't weren't models of stability in 2020 either.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, kentwo said:

The tricky thing is that Hurts looks to be more successful on a bad team as his scrambling ability can help him make plays. So far, he hasn't shown that he can sit in pocket behind a good Oline, read defenses, and pick them apart. Of course, the Oline this past year was a mess, but some of that could also be seen in college. Next year, if the team is bad he might be the best fit for that style of play. Maybe he can also learn to improve as a passer as he can't be a running QB forever, age and injuries slow all players down. The Eagles will have a tough time weighing in all those factors as they decide how much time to give him. Especially if he does enough to win games with his athleticism, but not enough to win as a traditional QB. Do they keep someone the fans/players may like, someone who is exciting to watch, but does not fit their offense? Or do they go in a different direction? He is also "only" a 2nd round pick and one that wasn't selected by the current coaches, which shortens his leash a bit. 

Would the Eagles with Hurts at QB win more games if the defense was improved, it the defense gave up fewer points? 

Your argument that Hurts running abilities masks deficiencies on the offense might be true.  But make the defense good, better, great, best.  Hurts does his job,  the Eagles win games. 

It's true that Hurts can't be a running QB forever,  but he can be a running QB for as long as you want him to be, and you can replace him when he can't run well.  Mariota can still run great.

The problem is rarely that the running QB can't run well.  The problem is that some team doesn't want the good running QB to run as much as he could,  enough to get wins.  That 18 carries by Hurts is likely amongst the most carries by a QB in NFL history.  Lamar's 26 in his first start is the record.   Both won.  Hurts hasn't run as often since, and hasn't won since.  Crank up the run with Hurts.  Have the backups able to run as well as Hurts.  Maybe have a big running back who is very good who runs with power between the tackles.   Basic running game stuff,  but with a great runner at QB.  Hurts is one of the best.   

Seems like its better to have constant change at the QB position instead of racing to find a QB who provides no options and costs way too much.  Hurts + ??? seems good to me, and the fact that you're not locked in sounds great.  Just go year by year.    Hurts + Mariota,  Hurts + Newton,  Hurts + Brissett,  Hurts + Taylor.   Any of those could be good,  and swap in a new one each year if you want.  None of this $30 Million a year stuff. 

22 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Count me as part of the crowd not wanting to spend a 1st rd pick on a QB this year.  Even further, I don’t even want to spend a day 2 pick on one.  We have so many holes on this roster ... I’d much rather spend those high picks on other positions and use 2021 (a year with almost certainty to be in the crapper) to get a more complete evaluation of Hurts.  Sign a vet like Taylor to backup Hurts and use a day 3 pick on a QB (if the right one is available when we pick ... no sense forcing a pick on someone like Thorson).  If Hurts grades out poorly in 2021 then go draft a QB high in 2022.  

My thing is running QBs.  I prefer them and I like the teams that put them on their rosters.  Like the Eagles.  Hurts, Ward, Tate, Jackson.  Nice group there. 

About Kyle Trask though.  It isn't that Kyle Trask is a 2nd rounder and is cheaper than a 1st rounder.  It's that it would make sense.  I prefer running QBs and I would prefer that there be no QB on the roster who isn't a good enough athlete to play another position.  That's what I'd want.  I wouldn't want Trask unless his 6'5 and 240 came with the pro day numbers of an average TE.  That's just me though.   We know who the HC and the OC are and they both worked more with Rivers than any other QB.   You'd have to assume that they'd want someone like Philip Rivers, and Kyle Trask is, physically, like Philip Rivers.  And Brian Johnson.  It just makes sense.  I don't want it.  But it makes sense.    It really doesn't make sense that both Siri and Shane are going to be gung ho about run first offense with running QBs because they've pretty much never done that.   Brian Johnson, yes, and yes, they could say,  hmm, let Brian Johnson have a lot of input on this offense.  But would be the plan that Siri and Shane signed onto?

Me:  give me running QBs,  don't have anyone but running QBs on the roster, and put running QBs at WR and TE so that the running QBs can run as often as possible from multiple positions.

Siri and Shane:  is there a way to get Philip Rivers?  You know that between the 2 of us,  we spent 11 of the last 14 years with Philip Rivers,  basically ,  5.5 of the last 7 years.  Can you get Philip Rivers?  Is there someone exactly like Philip Rivers you could get? 

I'm not saying Siri and Shane can't work with running QBs running all over the place,  I'm saying why would they want to,  why would they agree to do this,  why would they be picked to do this?   I can see Brian Johnson being a good fit with running QBs,  but I don't get Siri + Shane for the offense that I like with running QBs running from multiple positions.    It just seems like the final result should look something like the Colts for the last 3 years and the Chargers for the last 7 years.     Again,  I'm 100% in favor of Siri and Shane and Brian doing that running offense that I like,  but I'm guessing that's not what the Eagles are going to end up being.  Within this context,  Kyle Trask makes sense. 

Ian Book ran a 4.42 at the EXOS Combine.   6'0 202 4.42 40.  There you go, there's your day 3 guy.  I wouldn't have guessed he was that fast.  He ran farily often an many of his runs were pretty long.  He also almost always won, as was the case with Hurts.  He's the guy to pair with Hurts.  4.42.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For now it is Hurts but I am not sold on him yet.  He has shown flashes but was also wildly inaccurate and inconsistent at times.  I don't think they draft a quarterback in the early rounds this year but who the hell knows anymore.