Kelce Announces He’ll Be Back in 2021

time2rock

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

That lower image from Wolf of Wall Street?

Yeah, and the first two are Kelce's head photoshopped onto DiCaprio's character, Jordan Belfort.

8 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

I was hoping Kelce would be back. I do hope, however, that they groom a center to take over in 2022. I'd hate for the team to not have a backup plan.

Juriga is currently the backup plan. It's good that he's getting another year to learn / develop.

6 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

He also got the vaccine? What's his pre existing condition?

Dealing with this sheety team

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hmm but I thought he was going to retire because his bestie left town? 🤔

Oh stop it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

That lower image from Wolf of Wall Street?

Both are

14 hours ago, time2rock said:

This is great news!  Kelce announced in IG that he’ll play in 2021.  See update at bottom of story.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/05/jason-kelce-restructures-contract-will-be-back-with-eagles/

Great news - and great news on a bigger scale for the franchise.  The front office is signaling that it's not going for a Sixers style teardown process.  There will be a lot of turnover on the roster, but it will be spread out over a couple of more years. 

Imploding a team invariably entails losing, and if the losing gets ingrained too deep, it can be a funk that can be very difficult to emerge from.  Hopefully, moves like this will keep the team from falling into the abyss.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

Looks like his cap hit will not be reduced (relative to what it was before the new deal).  His cap hit before was $8.4M for 2021.  Good to see we are taking care of our own, even with the crappy cap situation we are in.  

Wow he gets 9 million guaranteed to go to his job which he loves to do, while majority of the human beings gets by on 50K a year job which they rather not go to. Man life can be cruel at times.

Anyway this is great news for Jalen Hurts...

Awesome!! We need him at least one more year. He can teach his replacement this year and protect Hurts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Procus said:

Great news - and great news on a bigger scale for the franchise.  The front office is signaling that it's not going for a Sixers style teardown process.  There will be a lot of turnover on the roster, but it will be spread out over a couple of more years. 

Imploding a team invariably entails losing, and if the losing gets ingrained too deep, it can be a funk that can be very difficult to emerge from.  Hopefully, moves like this will keep the team from falling into the abyss.

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that.  One thing that is important is to make sure your starting QB doesn't get completely Fed in the first couple years because he's getting killed all the time and simply loses confidence and becomes gun shy.  That has happened many times before.  Kelce may only be the insurance policy in part of a teardown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that.  One thing that is important is to make sure your a starting QB doesn't get completely Fed in the first couple years because he's getting killed all the time and simply loses confidence and becomes gun shy.  That has happened many times before.  Kelce may only be the insurance policy in part of a teardown.

There is so much he can help Hurts with to assist in his development ... reading defenses, calling protections, etc.  Glad he’ll be back for at least one more season, especially since he is still playing at a high level.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Wow he gets 9 million guaranteed to go to his job which he loves to do, while majority of the human beings gets by on 50K a year job which they rather not go to. Man life can be cruel at times.

Anyway this is great news for Jalen Hurts...

Add in he recieved a vaccine while many old people and pre existing condition candidates still wait for there's. Not right.

• Like 1

If the eagles could just have 2/3 of Kelce/Brooks/Lane healthy next year it really changes their expectations.

Didn’t think he would be back after having his first kid last year and how long he has been considering retiring, then hearing they just had another kid figured for sure he would hang them up. 

Why? I mean I’m happy to have him back, but this team isn’t going to be good at all this year. Not much for him to play for unless he’s eyeing the hall of fame and wants another pro bowl season on his resume. 

29 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

If the eagles could just have 2/3 of Kelce/Brooks/Lane healthy next year it really changes their expectations.

Not really. Going to be a first year starter at QB, rookie head coach, young and inexperienced skill players. I’ll be surprised if they win more than 5 or 6 games even if they stay relatively healthy. 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:18 AM, Big___Al said:

Love the guy, but does it really matter for this pitiful team at this point? Maybe, as alluded to above, he could be useful in grooming the center of the future, if there is one.

A team with a top OL will not be pitiful. Even without getting anyone in the draft, the Birds cupboard isn't empty with Mailata, Dillard, Suemalo, Kelce, Driscol, Brooks and Johnson. They should draft more of a bruiser RB and they will be competitive if the new coach has a balanced attack.

5 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

A team with a top OL will not be pitiful. Even without getting anyone in the draft, the Birds cupboard isn't empty with Mailata, Dillard, Suemalo, Kelce, Driscol, Brooks and Johnson. They should draft more of a bruiser RB and they will be competitive if the new coach has a balanced attack.

I just don't see it. There's question marks over the QB, the WR position leaves a lot to be desired and the OL is ageing at C, RG and RT. Plus both the RG and the RT are coming back off of pretty significant injuries. Oh and the LT is a major question mark too.

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Awesome. Let's hope the rest of the oline will come back and stay healthy.

I think they're all under contract. Only one that would have to come back would be Peters I think

I hope he doesn't come back though

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't see it. There's question marks over the QB, the WR position leaves a lot to be desired and the OL is ageing at C, RG and RT. Plus both the RG and the RT are coming back off of pretty significant injuries. Oh and the LT is a major question mark too.

There are some unknowns. LT is not one of them in my opinion. Mailata is a star in the making and can legitimately steam roll DLs. Not knowing where Dillard is in his strength development, I'd look in the draft for another guard to put next to Mailata who is strong in the run game. On the O side, the rebuild starts there, again, IMO. I'm not saying playoffs, I'm saying that a good run game keeps you in games and will make the team competitive.

Just now, Next_Up said:

There are some unknowns. LT is not one of them in my opinion. Mailata is a star in the making and can legitimately steam roll DLs. Not knowing where Dillard is in his strength development, I'd look in the draft for another guard to put next to Mailata who is strong in the run game. On the O side, the rebuild starts there, again, IMO. I'm not saying playoffs, I'm saying that a good run game keeps you in games and will make the team competitive.

Mailata was OK last year, good in some games and struggled in others. He may well take a big step this offseason but let's cool it first. So now you're suggesting a LG? To go with Mailata who is still unknown and the right side which is ageing?

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Mailata was OK last year, good in some games and struggled in others. He may well take a big step this offseason but let's cool it first. So now you're suggesting a LG? To go with Mailata who is still unknown and the right side which is ageing?

I think Mailata was more than okay. He is a physical freak and was dominant at times, at times. Not that he is without hyperbole but Baldinger has some good analysis of Mailata that shows how he was at times dominant. Its consistency that he needs but his ceiling is as high as it gets for a LT. You can't teach size and athleticism.   Driscoll and Herbig both showed something last year. That's some support on the aging right side (RT will be an issue in the future but Mailata and Dillard are both edge guys). Suemolo is adequate but I'd like to see a real road grader at LG. Johnson's ankle is an issue but if that is okay, he is physically still in a good place. He doesn't appear to be as broken down at JP. So, overall, I think OL could be a real strength for the Birds and they have one of the best position coaches in the game. This draft is deep in OL talent. The Birds need Edge, LB, CB and S on the other side of the ball. In total this is why I'd skip WR in the first 3 rounds, a game breaking WR is not going to make a huge difference with all the holes on this team. I'd go OL, S, Edge and Edge in the first 3 rounds, trading back in the 1st to get one of the top OL or DL prospects and another pick in the top 3 to go safety. Next year they are likely to have 2 1st. That's ammo for a QB if Hurts is a bust or for a top WR if he, unlikely as it seems, turns into a good starting NFL QB. My $.02.

13 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Add in he recieved a vaccine while many old people and pre existing condition candidates still wait for there's. Not right.

Maybe he’s a smoker

On 3/5/2021 at 4:18 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm glad he's coming back, all credit to him and means we don't need to necessarily worry about C this year. That said... For Kelce I'd like to see him be traded somewhere like KC. Go play with his brother and for one of the best teams in the NFL. Go try win another ring. 

F*** Travis Kelce. I pretend to imagine that the two are not related.

7 hours ago, Next_Up said:

I think Mailata was more than okay. He is a physical freak and was dominant at times, at times. Not that he is without hyperbole but Baldinger has some good analysis of Mailata that shows how he was at times dominant. Its consistency that he needs but his ceiling is as high as it gets for a LT. You can't teach size and athleticism.   Driscoll and Herbig both showed something last year. That's some support on the aging right side (RT will be an issue in the future but Mailata and Dillard are both edge guys). Suemolo is adequate but I'd like to see a real road grader at LG. Johnson's ankle is an issue but if that is okay, he is physically still in a good place. He doesn't appear to be as broken down at JP. So, overall, I think OL could be a real strength for the Birds and they have one of the best position coaches in the game. This draft is deep in OL talent. The Birds need Edge, LB, CB and S on the other side of the ball. In total this is why I'd skip WR in the first 3 rounds, a game breaking WR is not going to make a huge difference with all the holes on this team. I'd go OL, S, Edge and Edge in the first 3 rounds, trading back in the 1st to get one of the top OL or DL prospects and another pick in the top 3 to go safety. Next year they are likely to have 2 1st. That's ammo for a QB if Hurts is a bust or for a top WR if he, unlikely as it seems, turns into a good starting NFL QB. My $.02.

So look... I agree Mailata has a high ceiling. He has the tools to be a dominant LT and he's flashed that at times already. But he's far from a sure thing. And whilst Dillard and Mailata are both edge guys we know that Dillard can't play RT. And if Mailata continues to play on the left then we are moving him down that path. 

It also isn't nothing that Lane and Brooks are the wrong side of 30 and are coming back off of pretty significant injuries.

So you're happy with the OL but now you're trading back to pick up an OL? You're going to use a first round pick, on a team that lacks talent on a LG?

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

F*** Jason Kelce. I pretend to imagine that the two are not related.

F Jason Kelce? He's our guy?