Kelce Announces He’ll Be Back in 2021

time2rock

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

F Jason Kelce? He's our guy?

Guessing he meant Travis?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Lol, F it was late, and I had a few in me. I meant Travis.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Guessing he meant Travis?

Don't drink and post, kids!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Lol, F it was late, and I had a few in me. I meant Travis.

Don't drink and post, kids!

That would take away my favorite hobby lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So look... I agree Mailata has a high ceiling. He has the tools to be a dominant LT and he's flashed that at times already. But he's far from a sure thing. And whilst Dillard and Mailata are both edge guys we know that Dillard can't play RT. And if Mailata continues to play on the left then we are moving him down that path. 

It also isn't nothing that Lane and Brooks are the wrong side of 30 and are coming back off of pretty significant injuries.

So you're happy with the OL but now you're trading back to pick up an OL? You're going to use a first round pick, on a team that lacks talent on a LG?

I would use a first round pick on OL from the perspective that creating a top tier Oline should be where you start a rebuild. I would be equally okay if there is a blue chip DL player in round 1. Start with the lines. I am thinking a true multi-year rebuild. That's why I'd pass on WR and trade back. The more picks the Birds have in the first 3 rounds, the faster the rebuild -- assuming Howie doesn't pick a fireman, an undersized DL one-trick pony, or WR's from the pac-10. That's a big assumption 😉

2 hours ago, Next_Up said:

I would use a first round pick on OL from the perspective that creating a top tier Oline should be where you start a rebuild. I would be equally okay if there is a blue chip DL player in round 1. Start with the lines. I am thinking a true multi-year rebuild. That's why I'd pass on WR and trade back. The more picks the Birds have in the first 3 rounds, the faster the rebuild -- assuming Howie doesn't pick a fireman, an undersized DL one-trick pony, or WR's from the pac-10. That's a big assumption 😉

It appears to me that the Eagles do have a good oline and a good dline.  You can say "rebuild" but the reality of the situation is that the Eagles keep giving the oline and the dline restructuring bonuses which make it difficult for the Eagles to get rid of these guys.  When they leave or retire,  each of those players will bring a cap hit to the Eagles.  There isn't any way to get around putting money on the cap somewhere for these bonuses which were already paid.  Generally,  that money will be accelerated to the cap from the dummy years, when they go.  It's just the way it is.

These players will be with the Eagles probably until they retire, and they'll be pretty costly when they're with the Eagles.

Seems to me that the Eagles would benefit from trading down until they're at the perfect spot to get the best defense, preferably CB, S, LB.  It seems to me like the dline is good, but has older players, much like the oline.  and it appears that LB and secondary is a little lighter on top players.

Another thing the Eagles might want to do is get draft picks in future drafts.   They have a solid oline and dline.  Those players are going to be there.   But then they're not.  Now,  there are currently,  backups who might or might not be good.  If they are good,  no need to spend on more at that spot at this point, but it would be good to have picks to replace the players that need to be replaced in the future. 

So, trade down to get more picks and best back 7 defense.

Or just trade down for a bundle of future picks.

Conventional wisdom,  which at this point is pass catcher,  does sound ok to me.  A viable option. 

I was surprised to hear this. I didn't think he would stick around with so much uncertainty.

17 hours ago, Next_Up said:

Well that's one way to approach a rebuild and certainly a vaild one (find a QB that fits your system and build the line to protect him and build the other line to attack opposing QBs).  The other is to just accumulate the most talented prospects possible (i.e. not taking a DE that may not have as high a ceiling or as much potential to become an elite player at his position relative to another player that can be taken at a different position).  That's how we end up with someone like Reagor (because Howie was obsessed with SPEED) instead of a Jefferson (who was clearly rated a much higher prospect).  

On 3/7/2021 at 1:54 PM, Next_Up said:

The only O line position worth taking in the early first round would be OT and they have Dillard, Mailaita and Johnson and plus Driscoll who is a swing player.  I can't see them drafting an OT there unless they REALLY think he'll be a complete stud for 10 years.  I think a lot of people do agree with building the lines.  However, they don't get a top 6 pick often and you can draft quality O linemen later.  They've been able to draft them in later rounds and you have Stoutland to coach them.

At #6 you need to take the player you think will be a franchise difference maker.  If that's Chase or Pitts to have a solid offensive weapon for a decade or a great LB or other defensive player you do it.  If that's an OT that's fine too, but then the OT room is now crowded.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

The only O line position worth taking in the early first round would be OT and they have Dillard, Mailaita and Johnson and plus Driscoll who is a swing player.  I can't see them drafting an OT there unless they REALLY think he'll be a complete stud for 10 years.  I think a lot of people do agree with building the lines.  However, they don't get a top 6 pick often and you can draft quality O linemen later.  They've been able to draft them in later rounds and you have Stoutland to coach them.

At #6 you need to take the player you think will be a franchise difference maker.  If that's Chase or Pitts to have a solid offensive weapon for a decade or a great LB or other defensive player you do it.  If that's an OT that's fine too, but then the OT room is now crowded.  

the caveat was to trade back and get more picks. I agree that a 6 is OT range and not a guard.

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

If Sewell is there at 6 then take him

On 3/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, Next_Up said:

A team with a top OL will not be pitiful. Even without getting anyone in the draft, the Birds cupboard isn't empty with Mailata, Dillard, Suemalo, Kelce, Driscol, Brooks and Johnson. They should draft more of a bruiser RB and they will be competitive if the new coach has a balanced attack.

I said the *team* is pitiful, not necessarily the O-line. You can't possibly deny this fact.