Eagles restructured Hargrave.

Traveler Vic

I do not know if someone posted it. This is 9.4 mil in salary cap space relief. Need to check tomorrow where the cap stands after all the moves. We are close to being under the cap.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Looking forward to paying Hargrave $20m in 2026 to be our #3 DT.

I think he played well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cap is one thing Eagles dont need to worry about, Roseman should juuuuuuussst stiiiiiiiiccckkk to that... I can see us being under 20 Mill by the time Draft comes around.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

Cap is one thing Eagles dont need to worry about, Roseman should juuuuuuussst stiiiiiiiiccckkk to that... I can see us being under 20 Mill by the time Draft comes around.

Getting under the cap is not the issue. All teams have to be under the cap or get fined/lose draft picks. The issue is trying to maintain a talented roster, and not having to borrow from future salary caps to get under the cap now. 

Right now, Howie is not showing he’s the most competent in either area. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Getting under the cap is not the issue. All teams have to be under the cap or get fined/lose draft picks. The issue is trying to maintain a talented roster, and not having to borrow from future salary caps to get under the cap now. 

Bingo. 

Howie can infuse this roster with the young talent it needs because he can't trade. 

And his handling of the cap is to kick the can down the road. 

That said this Hargrave restructure does make sense as he played pretty well last year (grew as the year progressed) and he's the kind of player who should be around a few years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Fletcher Cox counts $24million against the cap this year and $24million against the cap next year, after that all that's left on his contract is void years, the reason this position exists is because Howie restructured his contract in 2018 to 'create' cap room, so to restructure now we'd have to either a) extend a 33 year old defensive tackle with a decade of being double teamed on the clock for pretty hefty money, or b) eat $20million plus of dead cap trying to trade him next year.

Brandon Graham is 33 years old and is void yeared after this year to age 36 to pro rate bonuses so as I understand the cap rules the reason he can't be restructured again easily because the current year and future years contain bonuses that were already pro rated over the five year maximum when he restructured in 2019 (although to be honest some of the void year stuff is clear as mud).

This is very much not cap magic, this is restructuring to keep the old band together because you haven't drafted anybody who can replace them 10 years down the line.

Cox and Graham are great players, but they are exactly the sort of high level Vet that rebuilding teams cash in on in trades. A competent GM would have had Cox and Graham on contracts that could be easily traded to gather draft capital and cap space for a rebuild with young players ready to step up and play at a high level, instead we've got them on contracts that are loaded with balloon payments at the end of the deal we can't afford.

• Like 5

What he said ⬆️

We can only hope with the new tv deals and passing of covid that the cap skyrockets in future years, as of right now we are a rolling boulder that Howie keeps rolling, headed towards the edge of the cliff.

11 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

I do not know if someone posted it. This is 9.4 mil in salary cap space relief. Need to check tomorrow where the cap stands after all the moves. We are close to being under the cap.

Yup I did (in the ongoing salary cap thread). 

We should be about $18M over after his restructure.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

What teams don't do this? When the Eagles do it, "Howie's just kicking the can down the road again." Then there are teams like Detroit, Miami, Jacksonville, NYJ, that don't try to maintain talent --- do we really want to become one of those just so we can say we have cap space before the beginning of every league year?

Structuring and restructuring contracts is normal. Borrowing from tomorrow is normal. Pessimism in Philly is normal (acting like we must not actually have talent and pretending all injuries are career ending, age 30 means you're done, and how you performed or produced in the last season defines your future because improvement is impossible.)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

What teams don't do this? When the Eagles do it, "Howie's just kicking the can down the road again." Then there are teams like Detroit, Miami, Jacksonville, NYJ, that don't try to maintain talent --- do we really want to become one of those just so we can say we have cap space before the beginning of every league year?

Structuring and restructuring contracts is normal. Borrowing from tomorrow is normal. Pessimism in Philly is normal (acting like we must not actually have talent and pretending all injuries are career ending, age 30 means you're done, and how you performed or produced in the last season defines your future because improvement is impossible.)

I think you missed where I mentioned maintaining a talented roster as well. I’m aware that teams have to borrow from the future at times. The reason we are doing it is because Howie is at best a mediocre drafter at best, and has to rely on more expensive free agents. He also got us in this mess with other unnecessary restructures. Alshon didn’t need restructured in 2019 after drafting JJAW a month or so prior. DJ could have been are to play on the contract he had at the time he was traded for. As I said, I have no worries Howie will get us cap compliant. He doesn’t have a choice. It’s getting this roster talented enough to compete for Super Bowls again. That’s where I’m not confident in Howie. I don’t see him getting that lucky in a single free agency period again. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think you missed where I mentioned maintaining a talented roster as well. I’m aware that teams have to borrow from the future at times. The reason we are doing it is because Howie is at best a mediocre drafter at best, and has to rely on more expensive free agents. He also got us in this mess with other unnecessary restructures. Alshon didn’t need restructured in 2019 after drafting JJAW a month or so prior. DJ could have been are to play on the contract he had at the time he was traded for. As I said, I have no worries Howie will get us cap compliant. He doesn’t have a choice. It’s getting this roster talented enough to compete for Super Bowls again. That’s where I’m not confident in Howie. I don’t see him getting that lucky in a single free agency period again. 

... and I implied that we have more talent than many would have us believe. even as bad as 2020 was, and with all the injuries and poor play, we were still competitive in all but 2 or 3 games. It was a bad season. That doesn't mean 2021 will be a bad season.

20 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

... and I implied that we have more talent than many would have us believe. even as bad as 2020 was, and with all the injuries and poor play, we were still competitive in all but 2 or 3 games. It was a bad season. That doesn't mean 2021 will be a bad season.

You have a much higher opinion of this team than I do. I see a little bit good, but mostly mediocre at best talent. 

They signed him a year ago and already restructuring.

The problem with Howie's approach starts with the fact that he can't draft.  He's been relying mainly on veterans from Reid, free agents or trades for players that other teams drafted.  Then he picks veterans with big contracts to restructure to save room and he extends them to the point that they have too much cap hit and can't be traded or released.

Lane Johnson is signed through 2028 - he'll be 38 years old then.  He's 31 now and has had 2 seasons in a row with injuries.  He's a beast, great player.  But he's getting older and now having injury issues.  His cap number is large from now until 2026.  The dead money on his contract hurts the team if cut through 3 more seasons.  THREE.

Again, great player.  But if he gets another serious injury and misses most or all of a season, they're paying him all that money to not play.  

Another one is Malik Jackson who is also 31- signed through 2024.  His dead money this season is $12m, next year $9m.  Another aging player with another injury waiting to happen.

You can only kick the can down the road so much.  At some point you have to not extend and restructure these veterans.  Look what happened with Alshon Jeffrey, he was paid to do almost nothing for 2 years.  They were stuck with DeSean Jackson getting paid for 2 years to play in like a few games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

We're not solving the issue, again my go to example is the Saints, in a bigger cap hole than we were but they're getting under it by extending and restructuring young all pro level performers that they've brought in over the last 5 years and can contribute for medium term,  that is not the same as us trying to turn salary into bonuses so they can prorate more money to years that a player has between slim and no chance of contributing to the team in order to creep under the cap by the skin of our teeth.

If we were talking about reducing the cap hit on 26 year olds who've been All Pro or to the Pro Bowl the last 3 years by extending them for another 4 years, I'd give Howie credit, but we're not, as NOTW says we're extending Reid and Kelly era vets because we've drafted average starters and back up level players for most of the last decade. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Exactly, it is a matter of what is the return on your investment. Our return is currently appalling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If that POS was so good at managing the cap then how did we get so far over the cap in the first place?  

Mr Kick the can got caught with his pants down. Covid hit, his future plans directly reflected a large increase in cap the next couple of years with new tv deals etc. The reduced cap really blasted his way of dealing.

So I am going to play devil's advocate here.

Could it be possible that problem may not have been with Howie's drafting, but actually with the coaching staff and their ability to train up the draft picks to fit their scheme? Could it be that Doug and company were better at dealing with veteran players, versus grooming younger players and that is why they were successful and why so much money was spent on these guys?

LJ Fort, Rasul Douglas, and even Sydney Jones all found some success when they left the Eagles.

It is easy to point to the possible draft misses the Eagles had (Metcalf, J Jefferson, Chin) but would they have even been successful here when other then Wentz, he did not groom a single rookie into being a great player? You could argue Miles Sanders, but even then he preferred to use other backs and would only give him a handful of touches a game.

It takes more then just drafting a player - it takes a coaching staff to coach them up and use them. It could be a big reason on why all these guys are now gone and the Eagles now have one of the youngest coaching staffs in the league.

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Fletcher Cox counts $24million against the cap this year and $24million against the cap next year,

"With the 6th pick in the 2021 NFL draft...the Philadelphia Eagles select.....Christian Barmore, Defensive Tackle...Alabama...."

16 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Looking forward to paying Hargrave $20m in 2026 to be our #3 DT.

He has at least 3 years in the tank and he had some good moments. I am ok if its him instead of some other overpaid v veteran.

10 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

you can not plan for the Pandemic. Howie is doing the best he could. As long as he does not screw up a draft..I am OK.

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Fletcher Cox counts $24million against the cap this year and $24million against the cap next year, after that all that's left on his contract is void years, the reason this position exists is because Howie restructured his contract in 2018 to 'create' cap room, so to restructure now we'd have to either a) extend a 33 year old defensive tackle with a decade of being double teamed on the clock for pretty hefty money, or b) eat $20million plus of dead cap trying to trade him next year.

Brandon Graham is 33 years old and is void yeared after this year to age 36 to pro rate bonuses so as I understand the cap rules the reason he can't be restructured again easily because the current year and future years contain bonuses that were already pro rated over the five year maximum when he restructured in 2019 (although to be honest some of the void year stuff is clear as mud).

This is very much not cap magic, this is restructuring to keep the old band together because you haven't drafted anybody who can replace them 10 years down the line.

Cox and Graham are great players, but they are exactly the sort of high level Vet that rebuilding teams cash in on in trades. A competent GM would have had Cox and Graham on contracts that could be easily traded to gather draft capital and cap space for a rebuild with young players ready to step up and play at a high level, instead we've got them on contracts that are loaded with balloon payments at the end of the deal we can't afford.

Completely agree! But we got Howie. Like a bad X-wife that is always around and we can not get rid off. If it was up to fans...Howie should be crucified. 

We got a new QB and a whole new perspective. New coaches. There will be lots more mistakes up front to criticize on. But at least we are not stuck in a downward trend. The Cup is half FULL !!! Not half Empty!!!!

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

you can not plan for the Pandemic. Howie is doing the best he could. As long as he does not screw up a draft..I am OK.

Oh that makes me feel so confident and good!

• Haha 1