Eagles restructured Hargrave.

Traveler Vic

5 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Hi Don! Howie is not the most popular guy in Philadelphia, but behind him is the owner. Howie is a bagman. When the Owner decides to play Jerry Jones and select a player he likes, he sends inn Howie. No one likes when the choices are contrary to scout opinions...scouts who have been studying players for years.and here comes Johnny come lately management and spoils everything. The only good silver lining to the Pandemic that I see, is this year because of the limitations, Howie will be forced to lean more on the opinions of the scouts and we hopefully will have a very productive draft. 

Hey. Yeah, unfortunately, Jeff is meddling too much and Howie is his yes man. At this point, I'm not optimistic that Howie is/will have to lean on the scouting department this year. We'll see, I guess.

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Hey. Yeah, unfortunately, Jeff is meddling too much and Howie is his yes man. At this point, I'm not optimistic that Howie is/will have to lean on the scouting department this year. We'll see, I guess.

I'm not sure why it would be different this year to be honest. I'm sure Lurie still has the guys he likes the look of and will want Howie to move on them.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure why it would be different this year to be honest. I'm sure Lurie still has the guys he likes the look of and will want Howie to move on them.

It's not likely to be different, but, hey, at least Howie can correctly identify the talent that's drafted before the Eagles make their selections. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Isn't it strange to restructure 1 year after signing a contract as a free agent? 

Somewhere TO is thinking, why couldn't they do that for me? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Isn't it strange to restructure 1 year after signing a contract as a free agent? 

Somewhere TO is thinking, why couldn't they do that for me? :lol:

The key difference is that Hargrave is already overpaid and they need to pay him more money over more time to get under the cap.  Despite being less critical to the team, he's got all the leverage.

TO was underpaid and they had a good cap situation, so he was screwed.

Fun fact after restructuring Hargrave, as it stands now, next season we only have two starting quality defensive linemen (Cox and Hargrave) under contract at a combined cap number of $41.6million (20% of projected cap).

Cox, Slay, Hargrave and Brooks will account for an eye watering 39.75% of projected salary cap in 2022.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Fun fact after restructuring Hargrave, as it stands now, next season we only have two starting quality defensive linemen (Cox and Hargrave) under contract at a combined cap number of $41.6million (20% of projected cap).

Cox, Slay, Hargrave and Brooks will account for an eye watering 39.75% of projected salary cap in 2022.

man, that is downright sickening.

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

It's not likely to be different, but, hey, at least Howie can correctly identify the talent that's drafted before the Eagles make their selections. :facepalm:

I'd bet there will be 5 players off the board before we pick that the Eagles liked the look of...

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

But our starting QB and whole lot of other positions may be minimum wage....So while it is definitely screwed..in a weird way it balances out. NFL players should have a predefined percentages of the cap based system so there are no imbalances like this for either side. This way instead of X amount of dollars and negotiations...you get Y percent of the cap+ Z percentage of individual performance pool based on results. No more lawyers, agents and negotiations. Players get how they performed on the field, and based on the predetermined position value to the team. Every 3-5 years the percentages can be readjusted as the game evolves. The team is never over or under the cap, because there are no contracts given ahead of time assuming that the player will perform in the future...instead of how he did perform in the past. I am sure someone though of something long time ago, but the agent based system is feeding off the teams and players prevented it. Time to get rid of the agents. 

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

But our starting QB and whole lot of other positions may be minimum wage....So while it is definitely screwed..in a weird way it balances out. NFL players should have a predefined percentages of the cap based system so there are no imbalances like this for either side. This way instead of X amount of dollars and negotiations...you get Y percent of the cap+ Z percentage of individual performance pool based on results. No more lawyers, agents and negotiations. Players get how they performed on the field, and based on the predetermined position value to the team. Every 3-5 years the percentages can be readjusted as the game evolves. The team is never over or under the cap, because there are no contracts given ahead of time assuming that the player will perform in the future...instead of how he did perform in the past. I am sure someone though of something long time ago, but the agent based system is feeding off the teams and players prevented it. Time to get rid of the agents. 

I knew someone would raise the QB issue but I guarantee you won't find another team in the whole NFL with that much cash wrapped up in 4 non QB's. In fact you simply won't find many interior linemen and corners with that sort of cap hit anywhere until the Thuney and Scherff deals go on the books. .

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I knew someone would raise the QB issue but I guarantee you won't find another team in the whole NFL with that much cash wrapped up in 4 non QB's. In fact you simply won't find many interior linemen and corners with that sort of cap hit anywhere until the Thuney and Scherff deals go on the books. .

Chiefs 6 non QBs that is taking up 101,601,000 million. That what was going into this past year but they are all on the chiefs currently. 

Bears were paying 40 million for Mack and Allen Robinson. 

Saints are 43 million over the cap I doubt it's all Brees. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Chiefs 6 non QBs that is taking up 101,601,000 million. That what was going into this past year but they are all on the chiefs currently. 

Bears were paying 40 million for Mack and Allen Robinson. 

Saints are 43 million over the cap I doubt it's all Brees. 

Yeah I was talking about 2022. That's why I said in the post he was replying to year after next because that's where Howie has kicked the can to for Brooks, Hargrave and Slay, and Fletch already had a big old cap number from earlier cap magic. 

Just now, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah I was talking about 2022. That's why I said in the post he was replying to year after next because that's where Howie has kicked the can to for Brooks, Hargrave and Slay, and Fletch already had a big old cap number from earlier cap magic. 

Ahh ok I got you. I wasn't really arguing the point we all know Howie is not the great cap manager he was thought to be. I think the QB contracts are throwing every the hell out of wack across the board with all positions. They really need to get a handle on that, just seems off

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Ahh ok I got you. I wasn't really arguing the point we all know Howie is not the great cap manager he was thought to be. I think the QB contracts are throwing every the hell out of wack across the board with all positions. They really need to get a handle on that, just seems off

Its as much my fault as yours looking at my post in my mind we're talking about the 2021 season as the current season but in the NFL admin calendar the current season is still 2020 until Tomorrow, so my post wasn't as clear about when I was talking about as it should have been. 

The overall point remains, we have a lot of cap tied up in players who are the wrong side of 30 or who are paid at a level their play doesn't warrant. As it stands we have the 3rd and 7th best paid defensive tackles in football in 2022 (and a Malik Jackson void year is 4th) and only Cox even scrapes into the top 6 of defensive tackle sack counts.

Our D line play is very good and put up good sack numbers last year as a unit but individually the sack numbers for individuals have been low. 

The other problem with paying guys like Hargrave the money we do is we have Barnett and Sweat who both need extending (or at least a decision needs to be made) and our internal D Line market is operating on a different level and criteria to everyone elses. 

• Like 2

Too much tied up in Cox, Hargrave, Graham, and Jackson.

Two of those won't even be there in 2022.

17 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Don't forget Barnett... I mean as things stand aren't they set to pay $10M for Barnett for 2021?

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Don't forget Barnett... I mean as things stand aren't they set to pay $10M for Barnett for 2021?

Interesting that they addressed Graham before him.

Just now, Iggles25 said:

Interesting that they addressed Graham before him.

Yeah it is rather interesting. I would guess either they plan to cut him or trade him at this point? To me if they were going to give him a new long term deal then they'd have done it by now? To me last minute moves tend to be those that don't involve signing players long term but I guess we shall see.

Could see a trade to a team close to contention in 2021.

Eagles trade him for a late round pick.

Just now, Iggles25 said:

Yeah perhaps although not sure Barnett is moving the needle much for a contender?

4 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Jackson and cox

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

They would need to pick up his 5th year option and pay him that 10 million guaranteed. They either extend him or let him hit free agency at this point

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, IFB DOG said:

You guys just don't get it. This is the way NFL contracts are set up. The later years are almost ALWAYS escalating.  It's to encourage the player to maintain their level of play AND reduce malcontents. It also maintains a particular PERCENTAGE of cap space for a player.

Voidable years are going to be huge this year BECAUSE OF THE SCAMDEMIC.

Nobody in Tampa is freaking out over Brady's new contract.... you're about to see the absolute largest TV deal ever signed and its going to jump the cap enormously. Think 2016 NBA-level changes. 

:whistle: :whistle: