Eagles re-sign UFA RB Jordan Howard

Hawkeye

He’s back. Again.  Terms aren’t out yet but I’m guessing it’s the veteran minimum.  He hasn’t been the same since that nerve issue here a couple of seasons ago but this is the kind of FA deal the Eagles need to do this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/4/7/22372611/jordan-howard-eagles-nfl-news-fantasy-football-impact-philadelphia-contract-running-back-free-agency

One major issue I’ve had since the SB is occasions when they’ve gone into games with no intention of using a short yardage bruiser back (despite how big Lagarrette was for us and our offensive proficiency). So I welcome it

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

Hard to believe he is only 26

At one point he was a top 3 in yards for his first three seasons. Now he’s basically an afterthought. 

• Like 1

Guess we will not see a RB drafted this time around.

Was hoping to see a bruiser drafted in the late rounds.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

At one point he was a top 3 in yards for his first three seasons. Now he’s basically an afterthought. 

Zero versatility. Hopefully Sirianni does give him more carries in the right situations though

• Like 1

He’s a good, cheap signing. Solid character, knows the system, in his prime, doesn’t fumble, has power and if he recovers fully from his 2019 injuries, he could be a great #2. 

We’ll draft someone in the mid to late rounds to compete. If Howard outperforms he either gets a good multi year back up contract to be the change up from sanders or he returns to his starter form and we get a comp pick. 

I think it's clear that Howie is still calling all the shots with little input from coaches. Howard hasn't been the same since that shoulder injury.  I understand the situation though. They have so many needs they can't fill them all.  I would rather get a younger, durable RB to be the backup.  So, a cheap LB signing and a retread, it seems some things never change with Howie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iggles25 said:

With 11 picks I don’t think Howard impacts any draft plans. If we had only 5 or 6 picks then perhaps.  But I’m also sure he isn’t guaranteed to make the final roster so they best be having an eye on the future with the picks they make later this month.  I’d love to draft a young RB to pair with (and complement) Sanders.  

• Like 4

Why? Unless our coach is going to run the FB a lot. 

50 runs, 22 passes, and this makes sense.

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Zero versatility. Hopefully Sirianni does give him more carries in the right situations though

He hasn’t been right since that stinger. This guy really fell off. 

3 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Why? Unless our coach is going to run the FB a lot. 

50 runs, 22 passes, and this makes sense.

This owner will never allow that many runs. He’d rather lose throwing it 50 times than win running it 50 times. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

He hasn’t been right since that stinger. This guy really fell off. 

Yeah stingers suck, I remember Dawk getting a few of them toward the end of his career that caused him to miss games and I'm sure contributed to when he retired. 

7 hours ago, uncphillyfan said:

Hard to believe he is only 26

A lot of RBs start declining around 27/28. So in dog years..he has a little gas in the tank.

Good to see Howie's learned the lesson of his constantly trying to retread the same old names the last 4 years.

Richard Rodgers or Josh Perkins next.

• Like 3

This is just cheap security. There is an upside considering he is still young and did play good before.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Why would this stop them from drafting a RB?

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Good to see Howie's learned the lesson of his constantly trying to retread the same old names the last 4 years.

Rodgers actually played well when healthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I would love to get Rodgers back if we trade Ertz. I don't understand the mentality that if they were on our team before, then they shouldn't be brought back.

On a somewhat related note, people keep complaining about some of these types of signings --- surely they understand our cap situation and that we need to have some vets here on minimum contracts.

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I would love to get Rodgers back if we trade Ertz. I don't understand the mentality that if they were on our team before, then they shouldn't be brought back.

On a somewhat related note, people keep complaining about some of these types of signings --- surely they understand our cap situation and that we need to have some vets here on minimum contracts.

I'd cut Ertz and take Rodgers now, make Goedert TE1, given our activity in free agency a surprise cut is coming somewhere.

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Share the same concern.  The coaches are different and they may have different ideas on plays.  Signing the players from the past could be a problem going forward.

43 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I still think bringing in veteran players that played at elite level at times is the right thing to do for a rebuild. I reject the idea that for a rebuild everyone has to be young and with the potential to play for us for 5+ years. Have some leadership to get the rookies right and then they can be the core of the rebuild.

And I think besides the money we kept the right veterans and have some good additions with Wilson and Harris.

• Like 1

if Howard is used properly, this is a very good signing. Short yardage and goal line. And a combo of Howard and Sanders can eat the clock in the 4th quarter if need be......I like it.

For crying out loud, haven't they seen enough of his 1 yard and a cloud of dust runs, I just don't get the Jordan Howard love, dude isn't very good.

People need to stop stressing. He's a cheap hire and allows us more flexibility in the draft. 

34 minutes ago, Erie said:

People need to stop stressing. He's a cheap hire and allows us more flexibility in the draft. 

Meh I'd prefer they went and got a bit of a thumper in the draft to be honest.