Eagles re-sign UFA RB Jordan Howard

Hawkeye

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Meh I'd prefer they went and got a bit of a thumper in the draft to be honest.

Plenty of late round guys

Khalil Herbert, Spencer Brown, Josh Johnson, Asim Rose, Brenden Knox, Nate McCrary, Vavae Malepeai

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

For crying out loud, haven't they seen enough of his 1 yard and a cloud of dust runs, I just don't get the Jordan Howard love, dude isn't very good.

This is how the Eagles need to build this year's roster.  League minimum veterans on one year deals.  Can Jordan Matthews be far behind?

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

This is how the Eagles need to build this year's roster.  League minimum veterans on one year deals.  Can Jordan Matthews be far behind?

And dude doesn't ever realize that Jordan Howard averaged 4.4 yards per carry his full season with the Eagles.

Just now, Hawkeye said:

The thing is Brown is costing us 3.25 mill, and even at vet minimum they add up, as it was I wasn't convinced we could afford to sign 11 draft picks, now we've done some free agency I'm waiting to see who drops off the other end and which picks we trade into next year, we've not done anything splashy, but we didn't have a nickel and still spent $5million or thereabouts, somethings got to give somewhere.

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I don't understand the mentality that if they were on our team before, then they shouldn't be brought back.

How about this mentality, if they were on our team twice before and wasn't worth a damn either time, they won't be worth a damn the third time around and shouldn't be brought back.

53 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I'm wondering how this signing precludes that. If the right RB falls into our lap during the draft, of course we take him. We didn't commit much to Jordan. 

That's my point. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

How about this mentality, if they were on our team twice before and wasn't worth a damn either time, they won't be worth a damn the third time around.

Jordan Howard averaged 4.4 yards per carry his 1st stint with the Eagles.  The 2nd stint he was not even given any carries.

That same season, Miles Sanders averaged 4.6 yards per carry,

Howard had twice as many rushing TD's.

@Hawkeye feel free to use these facts, but beware, EagleVA does not like to be confronted with facts and will put you on ignore for using facts.

Solid move, I like it, surprising though due to his misuse throughout his tenure. I wonder if Duce was responsible? 

I still think we take a RB in the draft if the right player is there. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You never know... who am I kidding it’s the Eagles. Scat backs here we come. Maybe someone should mention to them they won the Super Bowl with two thumper type backs. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This is how the Eagles need to build this year's roster.  

I understand that due to Howie's F-up with the cap we need to go the route but there were better options at RB, I mean, didn't you guys see Howard when he was here, dude isn't very good.

RB depth was a huge issue last season. No problem with this move at all. He is only 26 years old and it wasn't that long ago he was having a very effective season with the Eagles and got a big contract from the Dolphins. On a cheap one year deal it's well worth it to see if he maybe he can get healthy and be the guy he was his first few seasons. If not no big deal and it shouldn't get in the way of them drafting someone in the middle rounds.

9 hours ago, EagleVA said:

For crying out loud, haven't they seen enough of his 1 yard and a cloud of dust runs, I just don't get the Jordan Howard love, dude isn't very good.

In 2019 he had 525 yards and 6 TD's in 10 games, averaging 4.4 ypc for the Eagles. He might not be the same player after the injury he had that season but sometimes players take more time to get right and/or just have a down a year. There is literally no downside and only upside to giving him a cheap one year deal to find out. If it doesn't work out, you cut him. If it does you might have a very good compliment to Miles Sanders on a cheap deal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

thumper-finds-an-egg-tambor-se-encuentra-un-huevito-english-spanish-disney-bunnies-9781499809190_hr.jpg

• Haha 1

if he is fully recovered, I am good with it. If not, he probably never fully recovers. I liked him when healthy- non nonsense, north south runner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EagleVA said:

How about this mentality, if they were on our team twice before and wasn't worth a damn either time, they won't be worth a damn the third time around and shouldn't be brought back.

The same can be said about posters on the EMB, I suppose ...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I doubt we see Jordan Matthews, his buddy Wentz isn't here and we have plenty of young guys that need to develop with upside plus I'm sure some draft picks. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You never know... who am I kidding it’s the Eagles. Scat backs here we come. Maybe someone should mention to them they won the Super Bowl with two thumper type backs. 🤷‍♂️

Colts ran up the gut and ran a pretty good amount from what I saw. Sirianni seems to be a balanced play caller or even if he didn't call the offense then he most likely learned form Reich to stay balanced

16 hours ago, downundermike said:

Plenty of late round guys

Khalil Herbert, Spencer Brown, Josh Johnson, Asim Rose, Brenden Knox, Nate McCrary, Vavae Malepeai

I just hope we draft one of them and then can cut Howard.

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I doubt we see Jordan Matthews, his buddy Wentz isn't here and we have plenty of young guys that need to develop with upside plus I'm sure some draft picks. 

I was being flip. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I understand that due to Howie's F-up with the cap we need to go the route but there were better options at RB, I mean, didn't you guys see Howard when he was here, dude isn't very good.

Let's see if he even makes the team but the FO seems to like him. 

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Let's see if he even makes the team but the FO seems to like him. 

I thought rookie Michael Warren II was a better option last year, Howard has never impressed me, even when he was with the Bears.

I'd target two offensive players in the upcoming draft, RB Rhamondre Stevenson from Oklahoma and WR Marquez Stevenson from Houston, both in the 3rd round.   

20 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I thought rookie Michael Warren II was a better option last year, Howard has never impressed me, even when he was with the Bears.

I'd target two offensive players in the upcoming draft, RB Rhamondre Stevenson from Oklahoma and WR Marquez Stevenson from Houston, both in the 3rd round.   

I am iffy on Rhamondre in the 3rd. No way I use our first 3rd rd pick on him (the second one is borderline). Mid-tier RBs are a dime a dozen and can be had later on. I am all on board for using a 3rd on Marquez, especially if we invest in defense early on (which I would like to see).

On 4/8/2021 at 5:27 AM, Infam said:

I still think bringing in veteran players that played at elite level at times is the right thing to do for a rebuild. I reject the idea that for a rebuild everyone has to be young and with the potential to play for us for 5+ years. Have some leadership to get the rookies right and then they can be the core of the rebuild.

And I think besides the money we kept the right veterans and have some good additions with Wilson and Harris.

I do too.  I would rather bring someone in that has succeeded in the past than a guy you with the "potential” to.  

im good with howard in the mix. He can help this team. 

Good solid signing. Smart teams sign capable veterans that aren't over the hill and have proven they can do the role they are brought in for. Dumb teams try to fill too many holes with the draft. Smart teams do it with a mix.

On 4/8/2021 at 8:01 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The thing is Brown is costing us 3.25 mill, and even at vet minimum they add up, as it was I wasn't convinced we could afford to sign 11 draft picks, now we've done some free agency I'm waiting to see who drops off the other end and which picks we trade into next year, we've not done anything splashy, but we didn't have a nickel and still spent $5million or thereabouts, somethings got to give somewhere.

The Veteran Salary Benefit rule and the Rule of 51 are the two keys to making things work.