Eagles re-sign UFA RB Jordan Howard

Hawkeye

On 4/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, QBhunter58 said:

I am iffy on Rhamondre in the 3rd. No way I use our first 3rd rd pick on him (the second one is borderline). Mid-tier RBs are a dime a dozen and can be had later on. I am all on board for using a 3rd on Marquez, especially if we invest in defense early on (which I would like to see).

And we’re going to need An OL pick in the first three rounds. 

3 hours ago, eggs said:

And we’re going to need An OL pick in the first three rounds. 

Do we? I mean perhaps in the third yeah but I don't think we have to. 

24 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do we? I mean perhaps in the third yeah but I don't think we have to. 

Considering the tackle situation of late and the injuries in recent years then the team would be smart to invest a high draft pick in the OLine. Waiting until the 3rd isn't a great idea. Build from the line out.

7 hours ago, Devaster said:

Considering the tackle situation of late and the injuries in recent years then the team would be smart to invest a high draft pick in the OLine. Waiting until the 3rd isn't a great idea. Build from the line out.

we have draft capital next year. If someone solid falls this year, I am cool with it. If they think a guy like Humphrey is a long term replacement, I am cool with it. Otherwise, I would rather we spend our early round picks this year on defense and weapons. 

8 hours ago, Devaster said:

If Dillard can stay healthy along with Mailata the Eagles would have two young tackles they like.  And Lane should come back healthy.  I agree that they need to address the OL, just not sure how high. 

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

If Dillard can stay healthy along with Mailata the Eagles would have two young tackles they like.  And Lane should come back healthy.  I agree that they need to address the OL, just not sure how high. 

All I know is that Mailata isn't a long-term solution and Dillard is still an unknown. Therefore, the team could use a long-term option at one of the two tackle spots or along the rest of the line. I'm not one for passing up on better options that fall into your lap just because the team is still waiting for its current roster to develop. The problem is that many players never really develop and bust. And too many teams are afraid to move on early enough and miss out on much better options. Having more eligible starters on the OLine isn't a problem.

14 hours ago, Devaster said:

I don't completely disagree with you. But this team has been pretty good at taking guys in those middle to later rounds and developing them. I mean we still have Dillard on the roster. Driscoll did a good job as a rookie. Herbig is a decent back up. 

1 hour ago, Devaster said:

All I know is that Mailata isn't a long-term solution and Dillard is still an unknown. Therefore, the team could use a long-term option at one of the two tackle spots or along the rest of the line. I'm not one for passing up on better options that fall into your lap just because the team is still waiting for its current roster to develop. The problem is that many players never really develop and bust. And too many teams are afraid to move on early enough and miss out on much better options. Having more eligible starters on the OLine isn't a problem.

I see it the other way around - Dillard has every hallmark of another bust but Mailata seems intriguing.  OL is a bigger picture problem.  The Eagles basically ignored it in the draft for years and are paying the price.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't completely disagree with you. But this team has been pretty good at taking guys in those middle to later rounds and developing them. I mean we still have Dillard on the roster. Driscoll did a good job as a rookie. Herbig is a decent back up. 

Middle to later round guys that develop into quality starters or something even more rare like a pro-bowler or AP are incredibly rare. They certainly happen, but there is a reason 1st round draft picks are so valuable.

Kelce was picked by Reid and Brooks was drafted by the Texans. Lane is a 1st rounder and the only home grown talent exclusively under the Howie regime. The team has had some success, but not much lately. Been relying on free agents to fill the line like Brooks, Wisniewski, and Peters when it was top tier.

19 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Middle to later round guys that develop into quality starters or something even more rare like a pro-bowler or AP are incredibly rare. They certainly happen, but there is a reason 1st round draft picks are so valuable.

Kelce was picked by Reid and Brooks was drafted by the Texans. Lane is a 1st rounder and the only home grown talent exclusively under the Howie regime. The team has had some success, but not much lately. Been relying on free agents to fill the line like Brooks, Wisniewski, and Peters when it was top tier.

Guess how many offensive linemen the Eagles have drafted in the first three rounds in the last decade?

Four.

Danny Watkins 
Lane Johnson
Isaac Seumalo
Andre Dillard

That's it.  Johnson was terrific but now often injured and aging.  Seumalo is an eminently average LG.  Dillard looks like an injury prone bust and Watkins is a fireman outside of Dallas. You reap what you sew. 

2 hours ago, Devaster said:

Why is Mailata not a long-term solution? I mean, maybe he isn't, but he's young and has played well. So, what makes you think he isn't?

• Like 1

Why not?

No, you don’t know that. You may think it. 

51 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Guess how many offensive linemen the Eagles have drafted in the first three rounds in the last decade?

Four.

Danny Watkins 
Lane Johnson
Isaac Seumalo
Andre Dillard

That's it.  Johnson was terrific but now often injured and aging.  Seumalo is an eminently average LG.  Dillard looks like an injury prone bust and Watkins is a fireman outside of Dallas. You reap what you sew. 

Good research. And good information. Reid always believed in building from the trenches out and the success was evident under his management. I can't say the same since Howie took over. Howie is kind of all over the place.

But that is exactly part of the big issue with the talent and depth on the Eagles.

3 hours ago, Devaster said:

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

No, you don’t know that. You may think it. 

Agree with you @Outlaw.  There is plenty of evidence that Mailata is the long term solution.

9 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

Why is Mailata not a long-term solution? I mean, maybe he isn't, but he's young and has played well. So, what makes you think he isn't?

If he was, he probably already would have shown it. I understand he was a project to begin with, and I even supported giving him reps over Peters and Big V, but he projects as a King Dunlap level talent in the league long-term. A quality or below average starting tackle on the right team.

7 minutes ago, Devaster said:

If he was, he probably already would have shown it. I understand he was a project to begin with, and I even supported giving him reps over Peters and Big V, but he projects as a King Dunlap level talent in the league long-term. A quality or below average starting tackle on the right team.

You are insane, he just played his first meaningful snaps last year and he is already performing at an average level. In some games he looked really good and regularly flashed even when he struggled. He made plenty of mistakes, but it also appeared like he learned from each one. This last trait, is why he will be at least better than king dunlap.

11 minutes ago, Devaster said:

He showed he can be at least average just 2 years after he started playing football (and he looked like a stud in a couple of games last year). IMO, as long as he stays healthy, he can easily be the answer long term here. 

11 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Your hot take is a hot turd. 

NY, Dallas, Washington, and the league BE AFRAID, Jordan Howard says, "I have a lot left."   GO BIRDS. Surprise us on the 29th. GO IMPACT...Have a lovely morning! Nicks

Another news flash that is obvious and a week old. 

22 minutes ago, greend said:

Cool, I was hoping he would say "I suck".

Well he's not Ryan Moats sooooo ... 

46 minutes ago, RUEagle said:

Didn’t he suck for like the last 2 years

That's why he's gonna shock everyone, he's been saving it up

• Haha 1