TATE first round draft reaction

ManchesterEagle

Just wondering what the overall draft reaction will be in TATE. These are my predictions:

TATE Euphoria - Chase or Pitts

Almost certainly won't happen, but I suppose there is a small chance say Pitts slips down to 8 or 9 and the Eagles make a move to get him. Would be mostly luck, but Howie would be proclaimed a genius by some.

TATE Contentment - Surtain, Horn, Waddle, Smith

Clear areas of need and positions of which TATE generally approves. Most of these 4 are reasonable value around 12 and wouldn't be seen as reaches. There will be grumblings still of we should at stayed at 6, Waddle is too injury prone, Smith, too small etc, but generally the board will be a positive place.

TATERppointment - Sewell, Slater, or Parsons

Sewell would be a steal at 12, so I perhaps should move him up, but we have Johnson and two promising young tackles, so it's not an area of need right now. Slater isn't as good, but would give us the prospect of somebody who could immediately come in at guard if Brooks isn't healthy and allow Isaac to move to Center once Kelce retires. Given the other needs though, I think there would be general disappointment in the board if we got one of these two.

TATERfury - Farley, Paye,  Newsome, Trade down

All talented players at positions of need (yes DE is a position of need given BG's age and uncertainty regarding Barnett and Sweat). Newsome and Paye would be reaches here. Farley is possibly the most talented CB in the draft, but his injury history and back problems make him a real risk at 12. Lots of anger and (probably fair) comments on Howie getting cute again at the wrong time. A trade down may happen if for example both corners go and they aren't in love with whoever else is left. This would also cause understandable anger, although the added picks would prevent the below.

TATERgeddon - Fields, Jones, Lance, Rouseauu, Phillips, trade up for Paye or Slater

If we pick a QB - fans will go mad. Don't think anybody is in love with any of them and most people want to see what Hurts can do. I could see either of the other 2 DEs being picked and they are both very raw and reaches at 12.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I think overall people would be really happy about Sewell. It'd be a good problem to have too many tackles with our injury history at the positions IMO

I haven't gauged the boards feelings about Pitts at 12 since we moved down. There were a bunch that didn't like a TE at 6 so not sure how they feel about 12

Kind of the same with Chase at 12. Lots of people feel the defense needs to get addressed in the first round. Not sure if they feel better if he slipped to 12 and we picked him

If we pick a QB it'll be hilarious seeing the people that were defending the hell out of Hurts. Only reason we pick a QB would be Nick found his guy and doesn't see anyone that'll be in next years draft that he loves

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Just wondering what the overall draft reaction will be in TATE. These are my predictions:

Almost certainly won't happen, but I suppose there is a small chance say Pitts slips down to 8 or 9 and the Eagles make a move to get him. Would be mostly luck, but Howie would be proclaimed a genius by some.

TATE Contentment - Surtain, Horn, Waddle, Smith or Parsons

Clear areas of need and positions of which TATE generally approves. Most of these 5 are reasonable value around 12 and wouldn't be seen as reaches. There will be grumblings still of we should at stayed at 6, Waddle is too injury prone, Smith, too small etc, but generally the board will be a positive place.

TATERppointment - Sewell, Slater

Sewell would be a steal at 12, so I perhaps should move him up, but we have Johnson and two promising young tackles, so it's not an area of need right now. Slater isn't as good, but would give us the prospect of somebody who could immediately come in at guard if Brooks isn't healthy and allow Isaac to move to Center once Kelce retires. Given the other needs though, I think there would be general disappointment in the board if we got one of these two.

All talented players at positions of need (yes DE is a position of need given BG's age and uncertainty regarding Barnett and Sweat). Newsome and Paye would be reaches here. Farley is possibly the most talented CB in the draft, but his injury history and back problems make him a real risk at 12. Lots of anger and (probably fair) comments on Howie getting cute again at the wrong time. A trade down may happen if for example both corners go and they aren't in love with whoever else is left. This would also cause understandable anger, although the added picks would prevent the below.

TATERgeddon - Fields, Jones, Lance, Rouseauu, Phillips, any other player

If we pick a QB - fans will go mad. Don't think anybody is in love with any of them and most people want to see what Hurts can do. I could see either of the other 2 DEs being picked and they are both very raw and reaches at 12.

If we somehow land Pitts even in a small trade up it would be a magical day. and Howie would finally get massive praise. But as you said, very slim chance so not getting my hopes up. 

In the second batch Ill take any of them with the exception of Waddle. Any of the other 4 at 12 would be very good value to me. Just not a Waddle guy. Reminds me of Ruggs. All speed and not much else. It we get a WR I want a true route runner like I asked for last year. I dont want projects. 

Id be perfectly happy with Sewell or Slater at 12 or even a small move up. 

If we trade down, Id be fine with Newsome if its back in the 20's and landed a nice deal to trade back. Im not sold on Farley. His injury scares me. As for DE, I wouldnt touch one in the first round. But there are options in the late first round in one of the TCU safties, some nice Oline players and a Newsome. but again to trade back It would have to be well worth the deal and gaining multiple day 2 picks to slide to the back 20 in the first. 

Just dont see any chance they touch a QB in the first 3 rounds. 

• Like 3

I think we will see heavy drafting on defense...mainly because the talent level difference on defense vs offense is very dramatic...aside from Cox and Slay, and perhaps Graham...the rest of the D is essentially no names..

whereas on Offense you have some respectable names: Goedert, Sanders, Kelce, Lane, Reagor (in theory). 

I'd be fine with Surtain or Horn at 12...and then Marshall at 37th (though something tells me he won't make it to 37)

then the next 3-4 picks on Defense: S, LB, DT, DE
round out the rest of the draft with OL, TE,  DE, QB

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Personally, I feel the same way about WR. IMO, it's too early to hit the panic button at WR just because 2020 wasn't pretty. I want to see what the WRs we have can do outside of Doug's offense and with someone other than Wentz (who didn't throw to WRs enough) throwing to them. 

As of this point, we have one glaring need and it's CB2. I think Surtain is the best CB in the draft and would love to see him fall to us. I don't think dallas will pass on him, however. We should take Horn if Surtain is gone. If Farley somehow slips out of the 1st, I'd be even more ecstatic if we double dip and get him or Samuel (if Farley doesn't slip) in the 2nd. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

If we somehow land Pitts even in a small trade up it would be a magical day. and Howie would finally get massive praise.

I'm not sure how much praise Howie will get trading up for any player after he traded down from 6 to 12.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm not sure how much praise Howie will get trading up for any player after he traded down from 6 to 12.  

Well lets see if you move back to 12 and get a 2022 first rounder then give up a 2022 2nd to move up to say 9 to get the same player that you wanted at 6 you dont think that would get a ton of praise? Sounds like a nice turn around and you save a small amount of cash getting Pitts 3 picks later. 

Again doubt it happens but honestly if that happened then Howie gets bonus points. 

42 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well lets see if you move back to 12 and get a 2022 first rounder then give up a 2022 2nd to move up to say 9 to get the same player that you wanted at 6 you dont think that would get a ton of praise? Sounds like a nice turn around and you save a small amount of cash getting Pitts 3 picks later. 

Again doubt it happens but honestly if that happened then Howie gets bonus points. 

My trust in Howie is at an all time low so I just don't see most of these Howie moves and potential Howie moves working out as good as they seem like they could. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see offensive needs at C/LG, QB-3, RB-2(don't trust Sanders to stay healthy) and a vertical slot/Z.

None of which have to be selected early.

They have 2 DE's that can possibly be relied on .

They have 1 CB.

They have 1 healthy S.

LB........don't get me started.

They may begin the draft with 12 picks if Ertz gets moved.  Plenty of room to be reasonable about the rebuild.  

• Like 1

I worry about Surtain’s speed, especially after the championship game and given our experience with Rasul Douglas. I might be tempted to get Tyson Campbell in the early 2nd round or even trade back in the 1st and take him if we can get another 2nd to get both a tall WR like Bateman or Marshall and an interior OL in the second. 

Basically, I’d like to have three picks in the late first and the second round this year to fill holes with potential starters for next year, then use our three firsts next year to get three more players who can start immediately. 

• Like 1

If TATE would be happier that we drafted a TE or a 6ft nothing WR over a franchise LT like Sewell, that's all you need to know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see nothing good happening in this draft for the Eagles... like trade down every pick until we own the 7th round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If TATE would be happier that we drafted a TE or a 6ft nothing WR over a franchise LT like Sewell, that's all you need to know.

You mean draft another LT that is virtually a carbon copy of the LT we drafted 2 years ago ... When we have another young prospect that may prove to be even better than both of them? I'm not opposed to drafting OL when we need them, but OL is our most talented, deepest position group and the winner between a Mailata and Dillard  battle at LT will be a pretty good player next year. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

When we have another young prospect that may prove to be even better than both of them?

If I were making the decisions, at this point Mailata would be the starter going into... well, everything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If I were making the decisions, at this point Mailata would be the starter going into... well, everything. 

I would agree. I'd also point out that at this point he's a more proven NFL player than both Dillard and Sewell. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Personally, I feel the same way about WR. IMO, it's too early to hit the panic button at WR just because 2020 wasn't pretty. I want to see what the WRs we have can do outside of Doug's offense and with someone other than Wentz (who didn't throw to WRs enough) throwing to them. 

As of this point, we have one glaring need and it's CB2. I think Surtain is the best CB in the draft and would love to see him fall to us. I don't think dallas will pass on him, however. We should take Horn if Surtain is gone. If Farley somehow slips out of the 1st, I'd be even more ecstatic if we double dip and get him or Samuel (if Farley doesn't slip) in the 2nd. 

Yeah I don't disagree with you. Unless you are completely sure, continuing to throw high draft picks at WR maybe isn't the best move. I personally hoped they would bring in a vet and then see what Reagor, Watkins, Fulgham etc can do with a proper off season with Hurts.

But this is TATE - and TATE loves a WR.

Not only is CB2 a glaring need - but Slay won't be around forever. A first round corner could start straight away as corner 2 and we can give him help. Hopefully he develops into CB1

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

4 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I would agree. I'd also point out that at this point he's a more proven NFL player than both Dillard and Sewell. 

on D-Shiz's point - he is correct - regardless of need, a lot of TATE would rather have a shiny weapon than a franchise lineman.

But I also agree we are pretty stacked there at the moment. Mailata was really impressive last year, especially given the pandemic and the constant changes to the line. Reality is its his job to lose. He also looks okay at RT, so I suspect if Johnson gets hurt - Mailata slides over there.

2 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

I see nothing good happening in this draft for the Eagles... like trade down every pick until we own the 7th round.

Actually, the trade value chart suggests we could trade all of our picks and own the entire fourth round - it would be fun to watch that round on tv and we’d finally get younger, a lot younger.  Plus we’d solve our cap problem for the next four years.  

average roster age 23 anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My list of who I think the "most likely” pick is:

1. Jaycee Horn

2. Jaylen Waddle

3. Kwity Paye

4. DeVonta Smith

5. Patrick Surtain

9 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

If we somehow land Pitts even in a small trade up it would be a magical day. and Howie would finally get massive praise. But as you said, very slim chance so not getting my hopes up. 

In the second batch Ill take any of them with the exception of Waddle. Any of the other 4 at 12 would be very good value to me. Just not a Waddle guy. Reminds me of Ruggs. All speed and not much else. It we get a WR I want a true route runner like I asked for last year. I dont want projects. 

Id be perfectly happy with Sewell or Slater at 12 or even a small move up. 

If we trade down, Id be fine with Newsome if its back in the 20's and landed a nice deal to trade back. Im not sold on Farley. His injury scares me. As for DE, I wouldnt touch one in the first round. But there are options in the late first round in one of the TCU safties, some nice Oline players and a Newsome. but again to trade back It would have to be well worth the deal and gaining multiple day 2 picks to slide to the back 20 in the first. 

Just dont see any chance they touch a QB in the first 3 rounds. 

Pitts is not a star WR..he is a TE. Eagles never really valued TE position that much. I know that Tate will explode nuclear if Pitts is still there at 12 and Eagles pass on him for someone also. LOL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

You mean draft another LT that is virtually a carbon copy of the LT we drafted 2 years ago ... When we have another young prospect that may prove to be even better than both of them? I'm not opposed to drafting OL when we need them, but OL is our most talented, deepest position group and the winner between a Mailata and Dillard  battle at LT will be a pretty good player next year. 

I hear you...but Sewell is special. Most other drafts he would go within top 3. He reminds me of Jason Peters in his youth. Sewell would not just play LT...He would dominate any opposition for the next 10-15 years.To strengthen our Strength..would be a coup in this draft. If by miracle he is there at 8 or 9...I would move up and get him. No it is not a position of need ...but we would arguably have one of the best lines in the NFL.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Clear areas of need and positions of which TATE generally approves. Most of these 5 are reasonable value around 12 and wouldn't be seen as reaches. There will be grumblings still of we should at stayed at 6, Waddle is too injury prone, Smith, too small etc, but generally the board will be a positive place.

Getting Sewell or Slater(who can play G and T) at 12...would be an immense value for the Eagles.  I would not trade out of 12, unless offered a ransom because top of the defensive talent in this draft will be there for the taking. So whether it is Paye, or Surtain, or Horn, or even an unlikely for the Eagles LB choice Parsons..It is all good. 

5 hours ago, eggs said:

I worry about Surtain’s speed, especially after the championship game and given our experience with Rasul Douglas. I might be tempted to get Tyson Campbell in the early 2nd round or even trade back in the 1st and take him if we can get another 2nd to get both a tall WR like Bateman or Marshall and an interior OL in the second. 

Basically, I’d like to have three picks in the late first and the second round this year to fill holes with potential starters for next year, then use our three firsts next year to get three more players who can start immediately. 

We should bring Rasul Back!!!! He would fit in perfectly in the cover 2. His production would be a lot better than playing Man.

13 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree with most of this list, but with our history of OL injuries, my reaction would be more neutral or "meh" if we went Sewell or Slater at 12.

For what it's worth, WalterFootball.com (yeah I know not the best site out there) previously mentioned that their inside sources (usually co-contributor Charlie Campbell or one of his scout connections, which to their credit have been spot on in the past in picking up on certain players sliding or going earlier than the media project) expect Slater to fall out of the top 10.

Slater would at least give us a big upgrade at guard right away and doubles as insurance at LT should something go wrong with the Mailata/Dillard competition or if injury were to occur. At the very least, if he turns out to be an elite guard, he'd be a very solid selection. If he turns out to be the franchise LT of the future, he could be an amazing pick. 

I don't think WFT regrets taking Brandon Scherff at 5th overall in 2015. Realistically, I think the Giants take Slater at 11; it makes a lot of sense for them since they aren't sold on Will Hernandez and already signed Kenny Golladay to a big contract to be the WR1. 

My bigger concern is going Paye or Farley over either Surtain/Horn, or the TATERgeddon scenario (which I would be very surprised if it actually happened, despite it being Howie we're talking about).