TATE first round draft reaction

ManchesterEagle

A Vera-Tucker selection would have me questioning my fandom.

Waddle is likely to be BPA around when the Eagles pick, and he has the ability to be an impossible man-cover in the NFL. To me, barring an unexpected Chase fall, Waddle should be the guy.

I think it's an accurate analysis of what will happen here in general 😄.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy if they take Waddle over Smith. But I'm on board with all the other reactions. 

13 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I agree with most of this list, but with our history of OL injuries, my reaction would be more neutral or "meh" if we went Sewell or Slater at 12.

For what it's worth, WalterFootball.com (yeah I know not the best site out there) previously mentioned that their inside sources (usually co-contributor Charlie Campbell or one of his scout connections, which to their credit have been spot on in the past in picking up on certain players sliding or going earlier than the media project) expect Slater to fall out of the top 10.

Slater would at least give us a big upgrade at guard right away and doubles as insurance at LT should something go wrong with the Mailata/Dillard competition or if injury were to occur. At the very least, if he turns out to be an elite guard, he'd be a very solid selection. If he turns out to be the franchise LT of the future, he could be an amazing pick. 

I don't think WFT regrets taking Brandon Scherff at 5th overall in 2015. Realistically, I think the Giants take Slater at 11; it makes a lot of sense for them since they aren't sold on Will Hernandez and already signed Kenny Golladay to a big contract to be the WR1. 

My bigger concern is going Paye or Farley over either Surtain/Horn, or the TATERgeddon scenario (which I would be very surprised if it actually happened, despite it being Howie we're talking about).

Farley is too much of the risk at 12. But what is your concern with Paye? We could use a DE to pair with Graham, and as a future Graham replacement. Our Sack total for last year was dismal. Cox is getting older too. Paye is #1 for DL.. other than Christian Barmore (who could end up being one of the best players in this draft.). I have no problem with taking Paye  at 12. Valuable addition.

15 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Farley is too much of the risk at 12. But what is your concern with Paye? We could use a DE to pair with Graham, and as a future Graham replacement. Our Sack total for last year was dismal. Cox is getting older too. Paye is #1 for DL.. other than Christian Barmore (who could end up being one of the best players in this draft.). I have no problem with taking Paye  at 12. Valuable addition.

Paye isn't a bad prospect, but his upside doesn't strike me like a Graham or Cox type player. I think he's another Derek Barnett at best, which would be at least mildly disappointing with such a high pick. I'd love to be wrong if Howie makes him the pick though. If we're going defense at 12 I'd rather go with Patrick Surtain or Jaycee Horn to be the CB2 in the short term alongside Darius Slay and CB1 long-term (whoever makes it past the Cowboys, another reason why the trade down was somewhat disappointing). 

If we're drafting a lineman, I'd actually rather have Rashawn Slater at 12 than Paye and patch up our OL with an elite guard/ LT insurance if the Mailata/Dillard experiment fails or injury occurs. I don't see Penei Sewell making it out of the top 7.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Pitts is not a star WR..he is a TE. Eagles never really valued TE position that much. I know that Tate will explode nuclear if Pitts is still there at 12 and Eagles pass on him for someone also. LOL.

We will clear this up pretty easy. Hes a star Receiver. Cause lets be honest, he has lined up at TE, slot and outside WR in college. So he has no clear title. But we know his biggest talents are running routes, creating separation and catching the ball. So we can just call him a receiver at this point. 

38 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

We will clear this up pretty easy. Hes a star Receiver. Cause lets be honest, he has lined up at TE, slot and outside WR in college. So he has no clear title. But we know his biggest talents are running routes, creating separation and catching the ball. So we can just call him a receiver at this point. 

As long as we pay him as a TE and not a WR... I am Ok with that. LOL. But once again...will Pitts be there at 12??? Because I am not moving up for Pitts. I can see us moving up for Pitts only if he passes the Cowboys and Some Defensive talent we wanted is gone. Otherwise it is too much speculation. For Us the draft begins at pick 8 or 9 to see who also is available, and evaluate if it is worth moving up for him. At 12 top defensive Corner or DE or DT will be Available. I am Ok with that. My plan is to stay at 12... and do not trade out of it..unless an incredible value is offered...and if it is offered...still a lot of great players in 12-20 range. Either way I really like what is happening this year. We are not chasing free agents, but trying to build a team through the draft.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:42 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

I agree with most of this list, but with our history of OL injuries, my reaction would be more neutral or "meh" if we went Sewell or Slater at 12.

For what it's worth, WalterFootball.com (yeah I know not the best site out there) previously mentioned that their inside sources (usually co-contributor Charlie Campbell or one of his scout connections, which to their credit have been spot on in the past in picking up on certain players sliding or going earlier than the media project) expect Slater to fall out of the top 10.

Slater would at least give us a big upgrade at guard right away and doubles as insurance at LT should something go wrong with the Mailata/Dillard competition or if injury were to occur. At the very least, if he turns out to be an elite guard, he'd be a very solid selection. If he turns out to be the franchise LT of the future, he could be an amazing pick. 

I don't think WFT regrets taking Brandon Scherff at 5th overall in 2015. Realistically, I think the Giants take Slater at 11; it makes a lot of sense for them since they aren't sold on Will Hernandez and already signed Kenny Golladay to a big contract to be the WR1. 

My bigger concern is going Paye or Farley over either Surtain/Horn, or the TATERgeddon scenario (which I would be very surprised if it actually happened, despite it being Howie we're talking about).

On 4/12/2021 at 4:57 AM, Traveler Vic said:

Getting Sewell or Slater(who can play G and T) at 12...would be an immense value for the Eagles.  I would not trade out of 12, unless offered a ransom because top of the defensive talent in this draft will be there for the taking. So whether it is Paye, or Surtain, or Horn, or even an unlikely for the Eagles LB choice Parsons..It is all good. 

Sewell would be incredible value at 12. We are in a fairly good place at tackle but he’s to good to ignore at 12. I’d be shocked if he’s there though.

Slater is also a good player, although wouldn’t have the immediate impact as he probably won’t start over the current interior. But it would be a good pick as Brooks is really injury prone and Kelce probably retires next year (Isaac could move to Center). He also provides insurance at tackle as you say.

But my feeling is still that the board would not be happy, particularly if say Waddle and Horn were still available.

On 4/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, Traveler Vic said:

I don't disagree on the overall point, I don't think Paye is that much of a reach at 12, but our sack total last year was 3rd overall in the NFL, how is that dismal?  I'll agree our individual players rarely put up big numbers but overall the d Line got the job done last year.

• Like 1

I think anyone wanting a TE is nuts.

9 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I don't disagree on the overall point, I don't think Paye is that much of a reach at 12, but our sack total last year was 3rd overall in the NFL, how is that dismal?  I'll agree our individual players rarely put up big numbers but overall the d Line got the job done last year.

Our sacks numbers were way up there at 3 (Which was by far our best category) is deceiving... and does not reflect that our Defense was 19th I think. (you can correct me). We both agree that Paye would be a valuable addition at 12. Even though at this point I think Horn CB will be a selection. 

9 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

32 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Our sacks numbers were way up there at 3 (Which was by far our best category) is deceiving... and does not reflect that our Defense was 19th I think. (you can correct me). We both agree that Paye would be a valuable addition at 12. Even though at this point I think Horn CB will be a selection. 

The D-Line has kept the Eagles D going. It’s still really good, but with Graham towards his end and the uncertainty around Barnett and Sweat, D-Line is definitely a need.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I think anyone wanting a TE is nuts.

I don't watch college ball but I've seen people saying he can play WR too. I'm guessing that's why people have him so high

Hurts definitely needs weapons as Howie failed for years at giving Wentz weapons but there's so many other positions that need a stud too

God I wish Howie was fired already

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't watch college ball but I've seen people saying he can play WR too. I'm guessing that's why people have him so high

Hurts definitely needs weapons as Howie failed for years at giving Wentz weapons but there's so many other positions that need a stud too

I definitely want more playmakers for Hurts, but it really seems like TE would be a luxury since we still have Goedert and Ertz. There are just too many other holes to fill.

13 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I definitely want more playmakers for Hurts, but it really seems like TE would be a luxury since we still have Goedert and Ertz. There are just too many other holes to fill.

I'm still surprised we have Ertz. I figured he would have been traded by now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm still surprised we have Ertz. I figured he would have been traded by now

Apparently no one wants that contract. We're likely stuck with him.

Howie will draft an undersized, small framed, soft as Charmin Pac 12 DE coming off an ACL rupture who interviews really well, visits kids in hospitals and is a FASTBALL with a GREAT MOTOR.  And he will be a spectacular bust.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Pitts is not a TE, he is a receiver that can be used at any rec position on the field. Outside WR, Slot, H-Back, TE. Hes probably one of the most versatile players in a long time. So those that label him as a TE just never seen him play. 

Doubt he is even there at our pick so it wont matter. 

On 4/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Paye isn't a bad prospect, but his upside doesn't strike me like a Graham or Cox type player. I think he's another Derek Barnett at best, which would be at least mildly disappointing with such a high pick. I'd love to be wrong if Howie makes him the pick though. If we're going defense at 12 I'd rather go with Patrick Surtain or Jaycee Horn to be the CB2 in the short term alongside Darius Slay and CB1 long-term (whoever makes it past the Cowboys, another reason why the trade down was somewhat disappointing). 

If we're drafting a lineman, I'd actually rather have Rashawn Slater at 12 than Paye and patch up our OL with an elite guard/ LT insurance if the Mailata/Dillard experiment fails or injury occurs. I don't see Penei Sewell making it out of the top 7.

Horn, if there, would be a great pick.  Which means he won't be the pick

• Like 1

All the mock drafts are predicting that we will be able to end up with either Horn, Surtain, or Waddle. I have no idea where their optimism comes from. IMHO it's much more likely we don't get either of them. 

BPA......only thing we shouldn't be drafting in the 1st is QB, RB and TE.

We can use pretty much anything else.  It's really not difficult this year.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:38 PM, weko said:

Howie will draft an undersized, small framed, soft as Charmin Pac 12 DE coming off an ACL rupture who interviews really well, visits kids in hospitals and is a FASTBALL with a GREAT MOTOR.  And he will be a spectacular bust.

That's the 2nd round specialty.

I think the vast majority of people would be happy with any of Surtain, Horn, Waddle, or Smith to varying degrees. I would say those who really know football would also be happy with Slater. Where things will get bad is if they end up with someone like Paye, Vera-Tucker, or Barmore at 12, and if they pass on any of the aforementioned five guys for one of them it will be downright ugly. I just hope they don't overthink things for a chance.

Let's be honest. No matter what Howie does, people are going to say it was the wrong thing to do because TATE doesn't like him.