Reports: Paranoia, politics and dysfunction

Hawkeye

10 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Howie and Lurie will never hire a real coach who will tell them "no." They now only hire yes men. That's not a winning formula.

I would like to see Buddy Ryan Back...LOL Inquirer headline "Today..Buddy Ryan ..an Eagles head coach was arrested ...for beating the crap out of upper management..." Lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TEW said:

That was a really good roster. Tons of depth, not much in the way of glaring weaknesses. Yeah, Foles played the game of his life in the SB to take home the trophy, but that team was kicking the crap out of the rest of the league all season long. It wasn't a fluke.

It wasn’t a fluke in terms of the 2017 team finishing the job and earning the trophy. I agree, the 2017 team was a damn good roster and deserved to win. 

It was however a fluke in relation to the teams in the years before and years since. 

53 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It wasn’t a fluke in terms of the 2017 team finishing the job and earning the trophy. I agree, the 2017 team was a damn good roster and deserved to win. 

It was however a fluke in relation to the teams in the years before and years since. 

Only in hindsight do we see that the 2017 team was a damn good and deep roster. As it was unfolding and the injuries piled up and then the loss of Wentz I'm pretty sure we all thought they were done after that. I know some of us thought Foles could maybe get a playoff win or 2 but even that was looking unlikely with the way he played leading into the playoffs. 

It wasn't completely a fluke, that was a well coached team that all played for each other. 

14 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Only in hindsight do we see that the 2017 team was a damn good and deep roster. As it was unfolding and the injuries piled up and then the loss of Wentz I'm pretty sure we all thought they were done after that. I know some of us thought Foles could maybe get a playoff win or 2 but even that was looking unlikely with the way he played leading into the playoffs. 

It wasn't completely a fluke, that was a well coached team that all played for each other. 

That’s what I’m saying though. The 2017 team had a deep roster, great coaching, and yes a bit of luck. We obviously needed Nick to be Super Nick to win it all. Had Nick played the way he played against Atlanta, we might have won the Minnesota game only because the D held them to 7, but no way we win the Super Bowl. 

the teams before and since haven’t been near as good and that’s where the fluke remarks come from. 

32 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

For as much as that roster was well put together for that year, that run was just as much about the chemistry they all had together and the heart with which they played.  Overall outstanding coaching job all around to get that team to fight the way they did.  Still hard to believe it happened when you look at the years leading up to it (and especially now with what has transpired since).  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That’s what I’m saying though. The 2017 team had a deep roster, great coaching, and yes a bit of luck. We obviously needed Nick to be Super Nick to win it all. Had Nick played the way he played against Atlanta, we might have won the Minnesota game only because the D held them to 7, but no way we win the Super Bowl. 

the teams before and since haven’t been near as good and that’s where the fluke remarks come from. 

They still played hard and through some really bad injuries the following years and some adversity. I think as the Wentz situation began to become more unraveled and the more these draft picks were not panning out the more the FO began to micromanage and meddlesome

18 hours ago, John Blutarski said:

I'm not sure how you came to that. Howie has been ripped relentlessly since last season, and deservedly so. I think these latest articles about Lurie just tell the story that its way more than just Howie. The Lurie/Howie/BlackOps front office team are all to blame for the current state debacle.

I guess I should've specified towards Lurie. Obviously the fans are turning on Howie.

13 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They still played hard and through some really bad injuries the following years and some adversity. I think as the Wentz situation began to become more unraveled and the more these draft picks were not panning out the more the FO began to micromanage and meddlesome

I think players played hard because they did really like Doug. And I think that goes back a few years to Doug wanting players to let their personalities shine. I think they respected the fact that Doug treated them as men and not children. Now obviously that’s not the be all for keeping Doug. Doug was certainly flawed in his own ways, but I think that’s why players played hard for him. Even last year as abysmal as the team was, I never sensed quit. Absolute suckage, but no quit. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

Let’s not exclude the allegation that Howie and Jeff had their own draft board that they would follow, completely ignoring the board that was set based on the information provided by the scouting department.  No wonder there is such a massive lack of top end talent.  

You would think Lurie would have learned to stay away from picking players based on how JJAW turned out, I absolutely could not believe that pick.  

9 hours ago, TEW said:

That was a really good roster. Tons of depth, not much in the way of glaring weaknesses. Yeah, Foles played the game of his life in the SB to take home the trophy, but that team was kicking the crap out of the rest of the league all season long. It wasn't a fluke.

Why couldn't they replicate it then?

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

You would think Lurie would have learned to stay away from picking players based on how JJAW turned out, I absolutely could not believe that pick.  

To me it is just another example of how these guys, after experiencing an ounce of success, can't help but to start smelling themselves.  People complain about Roseman (rightfully so) ... Lurie is just as bad (if not worse).  

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Why couldn't they replicate it then?

You could ask that question for many teams that reached or won a SB except New England.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

You could ask that question for many teams that reached or won a SB except New England.

There's also been a downward spiral to the bottom of the league

18 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

There's also been a downward spiral to the bottom of the league

That's fair......its been a little of everything.  Howie's poor drafting, mismanaged roster.  Doug's coaching or lack thereof.  Injuries.  Poor QB play from Wentz.

I'm not gonna blame everything on Lurie and Howie.  Do they have a part?  Sure but the coaches and players still have to do their part which they havent.  Injuries, especially to the O-line didnt help matters.

16 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Injuries, especially to the O-line didnt help matters.

Injuries happen to every team, the problem comes when you don't have adequate backups due to poor drafting.

38 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Injuries happen to every team, the problem comes when you don't have adequate backs due to poor drafting.

You mean backs as in running backs or backups?

58 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

That's fair......its been a little of everything.  Howie's poor drafting, mismanaged roster.  Doug's coaching or lack thereof.  Injuries.  Poor QB play from Wentz.

I'm not gonna blame everything on Lurie and Howie.  Do they have a part?  Sure but the coaches and players still have to do their part which they havent.  Injuries, especially to the O-line didnt help matters.

The problem is coaches have been fired and players have been cut or traded. Howie hasn’t been held accountable and Lurie unfortunately can’t be. At least not immediately. 

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The problem is coaches have been fired and players have been cut or traded. Howie hasn’t been held accountable and Lurie unfortunately can’t be. At least not immediately. 

I'm no Howie fan but I'm going to give him a chance to turn things around.  They go another couple seasons with a losing record then changes will be made.

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I'm no Howie fan but I'm going to give him a chance to turn things around.  They go another couple seasons with a losing record then changes will be made.

Well, we obviously have no choice. I’m just not optimistic he can. 

16 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well, we obviously have no choice. I’m just not optimistic he can. 

Same here.  And it’s a shame that he (who can’t draft to save his life) will be the one overseeing the next couple when we are absolutely loaded with top picks.  I fear it is going to end in a complete waste of all that draft capital. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Same here.  And it’s a shame that he (who can’t draft to save his life) will be the one overseeing the next couple when we are absolutely loaded with top picks.  I fear it is going to end in a complete waste of all that draft capital. 

Agreed. 

12 minutes ago, time2rock said:

And it’s a shame that he (who can’t draft to save his life) will be the one overseeing the next couple when we are absolutely loaded with top picks.  I fear it is going to end in a complete waste of all that draft capital. 

100% agree.  15 days until TATErgeddon 

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

You mean backs as in running backs or backups?

Excuse me, backups.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Excuse me, backups.

Just checking.....

It's hard for any team to succeed when they're relying on backups especially the O-line.  Some of the backup guys showed some promise like Driscoll and Mailaita.  Problem is they had so many O-line combinations that they never had any chemistry.