Reports: Paranoia, politics and dysfunction

Hawkeye

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Only in hindsight do we see that the 2017 team was a damn good and deep roster. As it was unfolding and the injuries piled up and then the loss of Wentz I'm pretty sure we all thought they were done after that. I know some of us thought Foles could maybe get a playoff win or 2 but even that was looking unlikely with the way he played leading into the playoffs. 

It wasn't completely a fluke, that was a well coached team that all played for each other. 

Still a good bit of luck involved. But then isn't there usually a bit of luck involved in any playoff run unless you're a dynasty?

36 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Still a good bit of luck involved. But then isn't there usually a bit of luck involved in any playoff run unless you're a dynasty?

Yes then it's cheating 😛

On 4/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, Saltpeter said:

Seems to be a lot of possible subjectivity to what these "tribunals" look/sound like in practice.

It seems to me these "tribunals" are simply what most people would call "meetings".  You know, where you inform your boss how your tasks are going.  And I would bet just about every head coach in the NFL has similar meetings with their GM and/or owner every week during the season ... like just most every other person in a professional workplace.

8 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

I'm glad you posted this as I missed the meddling story.

I will say this much concerning analytics, namely, it's mostly BS because it makes the assumption that all players are equal.

You can't call a given play when those involved are getting dominated by their opponent, only the coaches on the field can see that.

No one should be surprised as to why the Eagles can’t get anything other than a yes man type coach in here. What coach worth his salt would want to come here and be subjected to these two? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

I'm not gonna blame everything on Lurie and Howie.  Do they have a part?  Sure but the coaches and players still have to do their part which they havent. 

Management has a lot to do with the mindset of any team, be it football, basketball, IT staff, accounting staff, restaurant staff, etc.

If a team knows that they're being mismanaged by a crowd of ignorant managers that affects their performance.

I've always asserted the Lurie was football ignorant, ditto for Howie.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I'm glad you posted this as I missed the meddling story.

I will say this much concerning analytics, namely, it's mostly BS because it makes the assumption that all players are equal.

You can't call a given play when those involved are getting dominated by their opponent, only the coaches on the field can see that.

Analytics = micro management. A big downside to technology. There is so many outside or real variables that aren't equated. If these type of algorithms were always right everyone would be winning the lotto and at Vegas. Imagine how John Madden would explain analytics. 

On 4/15/2021 at 12:01 AM, BayAreaLennie said:

It seems to me these "tribunals" are simply what most people would call "meetings".  You know, where you inform your boss how your tasks are going.  And I would bet just about every head coach in the NFL has similar meetings with their GM and/or owner every week during the season ... like just most every other person in a professional workplace.

If the article is to be taken at face value it sounds closer to a Soviet 'show trial' than a meeting.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:01 AM, BayAreaLennie said:

I see nothing wrong with owners meeting with the HC to review the previous game.  But this piece seems to indicate those meetings were much more than a "touch base" ... sounds like Lurie was being critical of every play Doug called or how he managed the game.  Lurie is becoming too involved in the daily football operation and that needs to stop.  You hired the guy, now let him do his job.  Being critical of Doug going run heavy against GB or Buffalo when there were 30mph winds (both wins, mind you) because you wanted to pass more because the analytics say so is nuts.  

There are certainly a lot of worrying aspects to the Athletic report. A lot of it I think some of the fans thought was happening so our worst nightmares are coming to light. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There are certainly a lot of worrying aspects to the Athletic report. A lot of it I think some of the fans thought was happening so our worst nightmares are coming to light. 

At least we (think we) know why Doug wouldn't "run the damn ball".

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

At least we (think we) know why Doug wouldn't "run the damn ball".

Are you using analytics?> LOL