TATE Draft Grade

philafan4o8

2021 Tate Draft Grade  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What grade who you give the Eagles Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I personally thing Howie and team did a solid job. Not sure the outrage for Dickerson. I understand the concern but it was not a bad pick. They got good value and built the depth on the Dline. The eagles had too many holes to fill all in one draft lol

Solid B if I count the extra 1st and 5th rounder obtained for next year.

• Like 3

Before the mod erased my post..I went through, and anylized every pick. Overall Solid B. I Like Smith , McPhearson and Gainwell. A. I hate the value of Dickerson at the top of the second. F. And the rest are reasonable value picks. Also Considering trading for next years picks.... it was a good job. Solid B

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Before the mod erased my post..I went through, and anylized every pick. Overall Solid B. I Like Smith , McPhearson and Gainwell. A. I hate the value of Dickerson at the top of the second. F. And the rest are reasonable value picks. Also Considering trading for next years picks.... it was a good job. Solid B

I put it in the ongoing draft discussion where everyone was already discussing what they think about the draft.  

• Like 1

Solid B - for me.

What Howie did in the first was an A +. Picking up an extra first and still getting Smith? Incredible.

But I just can’t get behind the Dickerson pick given his extensive injury history and how much we needed help on D.

Some really nice sleeper picks late.

But I can’t put it up to A given the failure to address the major needs on the D.

I loved 1,2 and 5. Liked 3. Hated 4 and meh on the rest. So pretty good job. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

C

Maybe the draft by itself was a C ....argumentative....but considering that Howie traded for next year's picks..perhaps it should be higher. I gave it a B.

I give it a B because I like Smith (Edit: and the added 1st next year). Dickerson could be great or could be another injured OL - could have been Moehrig, round 3 should have been a corner since 2 wasn’t, hopefully McPhearson is a player, I like the Gainwell pick and the rest are flyers with potential upside.

Not addressing cornerback until round 4 has me scratching my head...

• Like 1

Taking into account Grimes and Newman as UDFAs...might have to move up to an A

• Like 1

I feel more comfortable with the talent they added on offense. Smith, Dickerson & Gainwell all are top level guys in their roles imo.   The guys they added on defense have promise and weren't reaches but I'm not convinced any will be starters next year (2022) either. Not saying they won't but I don't feel strongly that they will either

Don’t know how they don’t address CB sooner and LB at all. They were the 2 weakest positions last year on D.

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Taking into account Grimes and Newman as UDFAs...might have to move up to an A

Yes this WR Grimes looks like a player.  He can take Whiteside's roster spot.  We need a big bodied WR.  He has a great chance to make the roster.  And the GA QB lucked out.  He's going to make our roster and the offense will match his skill set as his matches Hurt's.  Great landing spot for him after not getting drafted.

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Don’t know how they don’t address CB sooner and LB at all. They were the 2 weakest positions last year on D.

Because Howie consistently wins his fantasy leagues by playing WRs going up against the Eagles D every week, that's why.  The passing yards surrendered will be ugly again this Fall 

6 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

No grade from me. Concerned about CB depth chart.

Yes it's bad when a starting cb is a street free agent who was toasted last year.  Gotta sign a free agent cb asap for a bandaid until next draft

I'm torn on a grade. 

B feels too generous. C feels too harsh. 

This draft has the potential to be a really good B+ but at the moment I just can't get there. We drafted a lot of high potential players but at this point we don't know how that's going to work out. 

• Like 2

If I could award with + and -, I’d give it a B- overall.

Swapping out a 3rd this year to add the first next year, and still being able to land we’d all be happy with at #6 is massive. Best move of the draft for me.

Having said that, even with the picks I really liked (Smith and Gainwell), there isn’t a single one there that doesnt come with some question marks.

For Smith, it’s the size (a risk worth taking given talent and need).
For Dickerson, it’s the injury history (like the player but question the fit and value for a team like ours given that risk and multiple holes).
For Williams i love the explosive traits but is currently a bit of DE/DT size so hope he can pack some weight on and keep that along with short arms.
For McPherson some concerns on size for outside but mostly it just felt too little too late to be addressing the biggest hole. 
For Gainwell it was excellent value but adds similar things to Scott. Let’s hope Howard holds up as was expecting more of a power back. 
D-Line depth is great but did we need a 2nd DT or CB / S more?
The LBs finally added were good to bring some competition but both are tweeners and changing positions.

• Round 1, pick 10 (from DAL) – DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama  - A+ - The fact that Howie managed to get Smith + a 1st next year for the 6th makes it an A+
  • Round 2, pick 37 – Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama  A- (The only reason it's not an A is because of his injury history)
  • Round 3, pick 73 (from CAR) – Milton Williams, DT, Lousiana Tech   A- (Solid value for a potential starter at DT)
  • Round 4, pick 123 – Zech McPhearson, CB, Texas Tech - B
  • Round 5, pick 150 – Kenneth Gainwell, RB, Memphis - A+ (Potentially the steal of the entire 2021 draft)
  • Round 6, pick 189 – Marlon Tuipulotu, DT, USC - B
  • Round 6, pick 191 – Tarron Jackson, DE, Coastal Carolina - B
  • Round 6, pick 224 – JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU B+
  • Round 7, pick 234 – Patrick Johnson, OLB, Tulane A- (Excellent value in the 7th round)

Overall grade: A

Add the fact that the Eagles ended up with additional 1st and 5th round picks next year, this could become one of the best Eagles drafts of the past decade, imo.

• Like 1

Solid but uninspiring, a true rebuilding draft. The only guy contributing anything this season will be Smith, the rest are all depth players who won't get significant snaps until next season at the earliest 

Smith and Gainwell are unquestionably good picks, Dickerson talent wise is a great interior line addition but his injury history does not look good and the line suffered last year for chopping and changing every game. I actually like McPhearson, I know some on the board had other favourites for corner but I like the pick. The D Linemen outside Williams we picked were mostly of the 'there are 3 or 4 guys of a similar level, pick one and let's move on' type, so if the scouting guys say they were the pick then so be it. 

It looks a solid crop but let's see it on the field. 

B

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, devpool said:

Solid but uninspiring, a true rebuilding draft. The only guy contributing anything this season will be Smith, the rest are all depth players who won't get significant snaps until next season at the earliest 

I fully disagree. Gainwell and Williams will see significant snaps this year. Tuipulopu and Tarron Jackson will contribute to the Dline rotation as well. Then Jacoby Stevens and Patrick Johnson have a chance to see the field, but those two I wouldn’t call them significant. 

As is always the case with the NFL Draft, I'll give you my grades for this year's draft about 5-8 years from now.

B.

The picks I like the most.

Devonta Smith, Kenny Gainwell, and Jacoby Stevens.

15 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Solid B - for me.

What Howie did in the first was an A +. Picking up an extra first and still getting Smith? Incredible.

But I just can’t get behind the Dickerson pick given his extensive injury history and how much we needed help on D.

Some really nice sleeper picks late.

But I can’t put it up to A given the failure to address the major needs on the D.

I voted B too and agree - solid B - not B+ OR B-

BUT for different reasons - I think addressing needs in the draft is a fools errand. Especially when you are full on rebuilding and literally need everything. You are not going to fix the team in one off season - ok - theoretically if you hit on every draft pick and every UDFA then I suppose you could fix it in one off season so I should hedge with you shouldn't expect to fix the team in one off season. Set up your board and stick to it. You're adding talent - in almost every instance there will not be just one BPA and that's where need comes into play but that doesn't mean one in the group is going to be a CB or LB. 

I think that's what Howie did - so when I see a pick that wouldn't be BPA for me - I question the board and evaluation process.

With regards to Dickerson - for  S ish and Giggles - take the injury history out you have a beast of man that has nearly the versatility of Slater.

I think the concern for every one is his injury history but not so much that but the Eagles injury history as well. I'm sure the Eagles did there due diligence and decided his injuries aren't a concern. But this hasn't been a team that oft injured players come to to get healthy - rather the other way around. So you could look at as it just doesn't matter. Either the Eagles are going to solve their issues or they are not and if not it doesn't really matter if a players has an injury history prior to coming here.