Eagles Claim RB Kerryon Johnson off Waivers

SPIDER-MAN

This is interesting. Let’s see if getting cut lights a fire under Johnson. If not, then no big deal.

Sanders is obviously a lock.  I think Gainwell will probably be a lock because I doubt he makes it to the PS without someone claiming him. So, it sets up an interesting 3 way competition between Scott, Johnson and Howard for what will most likely be two spots.

• Like 1

Probably this is competition for Howard more than anything.  Sanders/Gainwell are locks and Scott is an entirely different skill set. 

Not a bad move at all.

• Like 2

I like it. Low risk high reward kind of deal.

First thought: Why?

Second thought: This makes a ton of sense if it pushes Boston Scott off the roster. Johnson is praised for his skills in pass pro and can run downhill. Adds a different dimension to a Sanders/Howard/Gainwell backfield.

Scott and Gainwell on the same team makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Sanders is obviously a lock.  I think Gainwell will probably be a lock because I doubt he makes it to the PS without someone claiming him. So, it sets up an interesting 3 way competition between Scott, Johnson and Howard for what will most likely be two spots.

Gainwell is 100% a lock. 

• Like 1

Huge weakness last year was pass-blocking at the RB position.  Both Sanders and Scott had issues.  This is a good pickup.

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

Forgot about Huntley 

Huntley as a 5th round pick( same round as Gainwell) who was cut by lions and claimed by eagles half way through the year.

He's got experience returning kicks caught 40+ passes  2 seasons in a row and 39 another and as a senior had 1000+ rushing yards with a 7.1 ypc ave 

I'm not counting him out.

I loved kerryon Johnson coming out and he's struggled with a ton of injuries and may be damaged goods at this point, we'll see though.

Definitely adds competition to the RB room.

1 hour ago, SB52 said:

This is interesting. Let’s see if getting cut lights a fire under Johnson. If not, then no big deal.

He was coming off 2 pretty significant knee injuries.  That’s why his numbers dropped off after his rookie season.  Low risk signing.  Solid move.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Guys, Howie brought him in to play CB.

CB factory 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Forgot about Huntley 

Huntley as a 5th round pick( same round as Gainwell) who was cut by lions and claimed by eagles half way through the year.

He's got experience returning kicks caught 40+ passes  2 seasons in a row and 39 another and as a senior had 1000+ rushing yards with a 7.1 ypc ave 

I loved kerryon Johnson coming out and he's struggled with a ton of injuries and may be damaged goods at this point, we'll see though.

You probably should be. Apparently he even struggles to catch the ball on kickoffs.

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He was coming off 2 pretty significant knee injuries.  That’s why his numbers dropped off after his rookie season.  Low risk signing.  Solid move.  

And in a bad system where they couldn’t decide if they were a running team or a passing team.  They played flavor of the week once AP got there and then swift started to take over until he got banged up.  None of them could stay healthy and none got consistent workloads.  I like this signing.  Low risk high reward. Competition for Howard potentially.  If scott makes the team it’s as a kick returner.  

This is another injury prone player unfortunately. Good thing we have a stellar training staff.

No risk, high reward move. It wasn't that long ago that KJ was an early second round pick who had 641 rushing yards in 10 games as a rookie. Sanders and Gainwell are locks. That leaves 2 spots for KJ, Howard, and Scott. Guys like Huntley, Killins, and Holyfield now have basically no chance of making the team.

We still need a CB and a Safety. But I guess it's not a rush or urgency for Howie. 

26 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

We still need a CB and a Safety. But I guess it's not a rush or urgency for Howie. 

More players and money will be available after June 1st cuts.

13 minutes ago, vaff said:

More players and money will be available after June 1st cuts.

Exactly,  I’m not sweating it, they will find someone at safety and cornerback after June 1st. I’m more interested in seeing what Gannon and the new coaching staff can do to improve the backend of the D. I think a lot of the bad cornerback play was on Schwartz and his scheme. 

• Like 1

I liked Kerryon Johnson, I think the Lions pigeon-holed him as far as a role. Smart, agile runner with size.

6 hours ago, Utebird said:

Forgot about Huntley 

Huntley has almost no chance.