Are we really in a rebuild?

Portyansky

Assuming no injuries take place, I feel our O on paper has the potential to be at least top 10 or better. D needs a few pieces to look good on paper. I don't think we're so much of a rebuild but more of a reshuffle lol. In all honesty, the coaching staff has me the most concerned. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Assuming no injuries take place, I feel our O on paper has the potential to be at least top 10 or better. D needs a few pieces to look good on paper. I don't think we're so much of a rebuild but more of a reshuffle lol. In all honesty, the coaching staff has me the most concerned. 

Well there's always going to be injuries, but we have been absolutely destroyed by them over the past 4 years.

But you make a good point. The O could even be top 5 - but will be reliant on Hurts taking a major step up which he may. 

The D is more concerning, but if anything I'm more worried about the D in the future than right now. We still have Cox, Graham, Slay, McLeod etc - all really good players who are in their 30s. 

We saw in 2017, where basically nobody thought we would contend, that you never know when you are good enough. If Hurts is good, then the O has some major talent. The D has a lot more question marks, but still has a very good D-Line and if Howie can get hold of a half decent veteran cornerback, then the D could be at least average.

We have a lot of good players nearing the end of their primes (Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Cox, Graham, Slay etc), so I will certainly be hoping we can be competitive this year. 

I think a rebuild implies no intention of competing at least for that first year.

Due to the situation our division is in, we’re definitely competing this year

• Like 1

I’d have to argue that any time you’re going with a first year starter at QB, you’re in a rebuild. 

• Like 1

There are so many questions with this team right now it’s difficult to say what they really are. Best to just watch the 2021 season with no expectations, and to asses the younger players on the roster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Top 10/Top 5 offense? Come on guys.

If Hurts develops - absolutely. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I’d have to argue that any time you’re going with a first year starter at QB, you’re in a rebuild. 

This year is all about QB, and coaching Siri with Gannon secondary. Until we know more..let's call it rebuild.

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

How is Slay going to cover Julio, Ridley and Pitts by himself week 1 ??

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Like a secondary minus one player? Yeah. Few pieces. Few LB would be good too. Time machine for BG. They can get 5-6 pieces after June cuts. 

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

How is Slay going to cover Julio, Ridley and Pitts by himself week 1 ??

I'm not sure about their OL or defense, but people are writing Ryan off with those weapons. They could put up some points. 

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

I'm not sure about their OL or defense, but people are writing Ryan off with those weapons. They could put up some points. 

Full Tatergeddon by half time

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Full Tatergeddon by half time

hahaha not sure about that but Pees could give Hurts fits too with different looks. That game isn't a lock for a W like some think. 

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

hahaha not sure about that but Pees could give Hurts fits too with different looks. That game isn't a lock for a W like some think. 

For the Falcons it is.

Yes, until Hurts or someone else shows that they are good enough to be our QB.  Once that is settled, we should able to contend again.  Our starters are pretty good overall but our depth is lacking due to weak drafting of late.  This latest class looks strong which could accelerate things if Hurts clicks this year.

San Fran was 4-12 the year before they went to the super bowl.......due to injuries and young roster......

injuries can devastate a roster and a team's chances.  

IF the eagles stay healthy this year AND Hurts shows he can be productive and careful with the football, they could have a better year than most expect.

11 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

San Fran was 4-12 the year before they went to the super bowl.......due to injuries and young roster......

IF the eagles stay healthy this year AND Hurts shows he can be productive and careful with the football, they could have a better year than most expect.

That 49ers defense that year is night and day compared to the Eagle's. They didn't fire Doug and trade Wentz because they were a few injuries away. They need DL help, LB, S, and at least one other CB. Offensively they have a rookie coach, QB who didn't show crap last year to think he's a legit starter in the league, OL questions, and while Smith looks promising they have crap behind him until they prove otherwise. 

What paper are you looking at? Top 10 offense :roll:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Yeah agreed completely. The line was devastated last year. But even with major issues on the line and with receivers, Hurts put up more than 400 yards of offense in his 3 full games. He needs to take better care of the ball for sure, but with a hopefully healthier line and the addition of Smith, I don't know why people can't see that this offense could be really really good.

4 hours ago, Swoop said:

This team is severely lacking in talent. I'd be surprised if we won 6 games.

I agree with this. Of course if Sirianni turns out to be Bill Walsh, Jalen Hurts turns out to be Russell Wilson, and Devonte Smith turns out to be Davante Adams, well, six games is plausible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greend said:

What paper are you looking at? Top 10 offense :roll:

IF Hurts is say a top 12 QB (I’m not convinced he is, just playing hypotheticals) then I could see it. Provided the OLine doesn’t getting completely destroyed with injuries again, they have some weapons with Smith, Goedert, Sanders. Have to believe Reagor will at least be a little better. 

In my opinion yes we are absolutely in a rebuild. A full blown rebuild too.

At key positions this roster is getting old.

Lane isn't exactly young, Cox is possibly now declining (still a really good player), Brooks is over 30, BG is over 30, this is probably the last year for Kelce. Slay isn't young for a corner. 

This roster has holes at a lot of spots. And I know that no nfl roster is perfect and that all teams have weaknesses but this team has a lot. 

And on top of the known weaknesses we have a number of unknowns now. Hurts, the new coaches, the WRs, the LT situation. 

Without question.  

Our offense has the potential to be really exciting and dangerous at times this season but they are also very young and mostly inexperienced outside of our often injured offensive line.  The defense is missing more than just a few pieces.  We don't really have a secondary outside of an aging Slay nor do we have any linebackers that would start on any other team in the NFL.  We have a defensive line but it is a Brandon Graham or Fletcher Cox injury away from being a real issue. 

I get the sense that Gannon is going to be a guy that dials up a lot of creative blitzes so maybe that helps hide the lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball but I think that can only cover so much.  It is one of the least talented defenses in the league.  We have one of the easier schedules in the league but it is still a bit too much to fully lean on a young inexperienced offense to carry this team on it's back.  There will be growing pains.  

• Like 1